Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm not sure how the speed tests could be "doctored"  Sprint for the most part held up fine except in the half time speed test, but their upload speeds were very low. (in fact in the end of 1st quarter test it struggled to get to 1mbps)

T-Mobile did a number of live speed tests with four phones.

Does the new config do anything beneficial other than make the download speeds look cooler but the uploads quite small in comparison?  All a Sprint naysayer is going to see now is the sub 10 mbps upload.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/wall-street-analysts-fret-over-growing-number-customers-ditching-sprint

“We have also made the decision to manage the business at a higher churn rate,” Claure explained. “We're selectively managing higher ARPU subs in our base, as they do not have access to our more aggressive offers. And some are above our competitor rate for unlimited plans. We're comfortable using this strategy as it creates more enterprise value to have a higher churn than to write down our base. We also see some churn pressure from leasing, but would believe that the total economics of leasing more than compensates for higher churn level.”

Interesting take on this. What's everyone's thoughts?

http:// https://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2018/02/verizon-sees-18-8-tb-of-cellular-data-used-at-super-bowl-52/

Taking the article at not 100% but Verizon said they used 18.8TB, AT&T 7.2TB and Sprint has not given numbers just yet. What was interesting was T-Mobile saying they were not releasing the total data usage from the game. That’s really not like them to boast. For them not to release they numbers makes me think

1. The total usage was low because their customers were enjoying the game and off their phones.

2. The usage was low because the network was really struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jreuschl said:

Does the new config do anything beneficial other than make the download speeds look cooler but the uploads quite small in comparison?  All a Sprint naysayer is going to see now is the sub 10 mbps upload.

Download speeds are considerably more utilized than upload. How often do you hear people say, hey that site is clearly congested, look at your upload. FDD's constant "upload is higher than download" occurrence makes a strong case for TDD. 
Take my part of the market, Sprint does not seem to have the ability to deploy three contiguous carriers and it being a dense city can easily overwhelm Config 1 2xCA, Config 2 gives Sprint just enough headroom to buy time(at zero cost) till non-contiguous B41 and more CA options become available. 

I also find that slow uploads are more tied to crappy signal than congested upload (Magic Box uploads speeds are a clear indicator of this). My Note 8 holds up like a champ in low signal situations on the uploads, some other devices side by side, not so much. 

But in the end, having B25 handle the upload will give Sprint enough headroom for a very long time.

Download speeds are considerably more utilized than upload. How often do you hear people say, hey that site is clearly congested, look at your upload. FDD's constant "upload is higher than download" occurrence makes a strong case for TDD. 
Take my part of the market, Sprint does not seem to have the ability to deploy three contiguous carriers and it being a dense city can easily overwhelm Config 1 2xCA, Config 2 gives Sprint just enough headroom to buy time(at zero cost) till non-contiguous B41 and more CA options become available. 
 I also find that slow uploads are more tied to crappy signal than congested upload (Magic Box uploads speeds are a clear indicator of this). My Note 8 holds up like a champ in low signal situations on the uploads, some other devices side by side, not so much. 
But in the end, having B25 handle the upload will give Sprint enough headroom for a very long time.
People say that about uploads all the time. At a game like ( which is what we are talking about) the upload is more important

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

People say that about uploads all the time. At a game like ( which is what we are talking about) the upload is more important

Upload is never ever more important than download, is it more utilized at big events than in your everyday use? YUP!

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Yep the Galaxy S8 supports 2x upload. What's the reason there? Sprint even needs upload CA on their FDD network since they find have much 15x15 or 20x20

S8 only supports 2x upload on beta 8 which means 99% of their S8/S8+ customers don't have it.

2 hours ago, derrph said:

http:// https://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2018/02/verizon-sees-18-8-tb-of-cellular-data-used-at-super-bowl-52/

Taking the article at not 100% but Verizon said they used 18.8TB, AT&T 7.2TB and Sprint has not given numbers just yet. What was interesting was T-Mobile saying they were not releasing the total data usage from the game. That’s really not like them to boast. For them not to release they numbers makes me think

1. The total usage was low because their customers were enjoying the game and off their phones.

2. The usage was low because the network was really struggling.

T Mobile did put out a news thing with a piece of info "78% increase in data". So we can extrapolate the data used to around 7.1 TB used.

2016 2.1TB used

2017 almost 2x usage growth during game

2018 78% more data from Top Network Facts image

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

T Mobile did put out a news thing with a piece of info "78% increase in data". So we can extrapolate the data used to around 7.1 TB used.

2016 2.1TB used

[url=https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/super-bowl-network-performance.htm]2017 almost 2x usage growth during game[/url]

[url=https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/super-bowl-stats.htm]78% more data from Top Network Facts image[/url]

Nice work!

2016 2.1TB used

Great!!!!

1 minute ago, lilotimz said:

Interesting no one here mentioning about the fact Sprints coverage map is now using Google maps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I noticed it earlier today and got distracted by something else. Also the Live, Work, Play thing is pretty cool. It'll help to see if you have coverage on a long trip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I noticed it earlier today and got distracted by something else. Also the Live, Work, Play thing is pretty cool. It'll help to see if you have coverage on a long trip.

It looks great and works very well! A welcome update!

Perhaps a “Verified Coverage Map” is next?

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

Interesting no one here mentioning about the fact Sprints coverage map is now using Google maps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh wow—I hadn’t checked! Looks great!

Hopefully google maps makes it to the mobile coverage map soon.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Oh wow—I hadn’t checked! Looks great!

Hopefully google maps makes it to the mobile coverage map soon.

Google Maps shows when you visit the Sprint Coverage Page on Mobile Web.

The My Sprint App for iOS uses Apple Maps for Network Issue Reporting.

I assume the My Sprint App for Android uses Google Maps for the same? Can someone confirm?

5 hours ago, JThorson said:

If They are right about there numbers, then they are making the right moves. It is up to the consumer to make sure they are on the best rate plan for them. If the cost of sprint reaching out and  lower that customer price point isnt offset by the additional revenue for whatever the subsequent reduction in churn they are making the right call. 

2016 2.1TB used

Sprint reported they have 9.7 TB of data used. That’s damn good.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

They are really going all in on the 5G things, look at whats sitting on the stage!! Its a Massive Mimo antenna, not to mention the banners.

I didn’t know the antenna was that small. I wonder how much it cost

43 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

I didn’t know the antenna was that small. I wonder how much it cost

This is one of the many reasons Sprint is so pumped about massive mimo and 5G. Formfator wise makes it far more realistic to deploy in the real world. But I do hear the antennas are NOT cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derrph said:

Sprint reported they have 9.7 TB of data used. That’s damn good.

Wow - did I read AT&T had 7.2 TB of data used? If so that means Sprint users used more than 35% more data.