Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Is sprint thinning CDMA again for this? How spread out will this be?

I didn’t know Sprint was taking some of their CDMA and making b25 wider. I have 10x10 in my city but I thought it was due to having 25 Spectrum past the 5x5 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jroepcke51 said:

Is sprint thinning CDMA again for this? How spread out will this be?

Only in specific markets that have 30 to 40Mhz of contiguous PCS spectrum. Seattle has contiguous spectrum with the G-Block that allows them to widen the channel to 15x15. 

20 minutes ago, derrph said:

I didn’t know Sprint was taking some of their CDMA and making b25 wider. I have 10x10 in my city but I thought it was due to having 25 Spectrum past the 5x5 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many markets have 30 to 40Mhz of PCS spectrum. The limiting factor is whether it is contiguous or not. In markets that have C-Block spectrum adjacent to the G-Block spectrum, they can expand beyond 5x5. Some markets that have 20Mhz of A or B-Block spectrum may also see 10x10 channels + 5x5 in the G-Block.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Only in specific markets that have 30 to 40Mhz of contiguous PCS spectrum. Seattle has contiguous spectrum with the G-Block that allows them to widen the channel to 15x15. 

Many markets have 30 to 40Mhz of PCS spectrum. The limiting factor is whether it is contiguous or not. In markets that have C-Block spectrum adjacent to the G-Block spectrum, they can expand beyond 5x5. Some markets that have 20Mhz of A or B-Block spectrum may also see 10x10 channels + 5x5 in the G-Block.

Do we know that all of those spectrum swaps are actually finished?

Maybe they can just use the 800MHz CDMA channel as fall back and use all of the 1900Mhz spectrum for LTE and VOLTE.

Edited by bigsnake49

Do we know that all of those spectrum swaps are actually finished?
Maybe they can just use the 800MHz CDMA channel as fall back and use all of the 1900Mhz spectrum for LTE and VOLTE.
There aren't plans to do this for many years. Too many legacy devices that don't support 1x800 or don't support LTE. You can't move evdo to 800.

Plus in many cities CDMA is congested to the point of dropping calls from being over capacity (Pittsburgh, SF, etc). It happens to me somewhat regularly with a signal in -60s. I can't even understand people 90% of the time because it's so compressed due to capacity problems. They've thinned to a single 1x1900 and 1x800 a while ago, at least a year now. They can't thin any more and reduce to a single 1x800 only, it's not enough capacity. I'd actually argue they thinned too much prematurely...

Pittsburgh, PA for example vacated the extra 5 MHz needed for 15x15 a while ago, it's been sitting empty next to the 10x10 carrier. So I assume in markets where they can do 15x15 they've already thinned the CDMA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There aren't plans to do this for many years. Too many legacy devices that don't support 1x800 or don't support LTE. You can't move evdo to 800.  

Plus in many cities CDMA is congested to the point of dropping calls from being over capacity (Pittsburgh, SF, etc). It happens to me somewhat regularly with a signal in -60s. I can't even understand people 90% of the time because it's so compressed due to capacity problems. They've thinned to a single 1x1900 and 1x800 a while ago, at least a year now. They can't thin any more and reduce to a single 1x800 only, it's not enough capacity. I'd actually argue they thinned too much prematurely...

Pittsburgh, PA for example vacated the extra 5 MHz needed for 15x15 a while ago, it's been sitting empty next to the 10x10 carrier. So I assume in markets where they can do 15x15 they've already thinned the CDMA.

Once LTE is dense enough that should do it and people who don't have VOLTE capable devices should just upgrade. Devices have had 1x800 for a very long time even iPhone 5s has that. I also doubt anyone has a 3G only phone these days. If they do that's the own fault. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Once LTE is dense enough that should do it and people who don't have VOLTE capable devices should just upgrade. Devices have had 1x800 for a very long time even iPhone 5s has that. I also doubt anyone has a 3G only phone these days. If they do that's the own fault. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are people with flip phones. Also people with non B41 capable phones in areas serviced by Clearwire conversations that may drop to 3G. Inside buildings. Edge of cell. IOT type devices with service contracts that are 3G only.

Eventually 1x load will decrease with VoLTR, but Sprint has been very slow with the rollout. Not many devices support Calling+ yet. Actual VoLTE isn't finished. BYOD devices like the Pixel don't have support. I'd say we're at least 3-4 years before we can even begin considering shutting down the last CDMA in 1900 at the current pace. Realistically probably longer.

There are people with flip phones. Also people with non B41 capable phones in areas serviced by Clearwire conversations that may drop to 3G. Inside buildings. Edge of cell. IOT type devices with service contracts that are 3G only.

Eventually 1x load will decrease with VoLTR, but Sprint has been very slow with the rollout. Not many devices support Calling+ yet. Actual VoLTE isn't finished. BYOD devices like the Pixel don't have support. I'd say we're at least 3-4 years before we can even begin considering shutting down the last CDMA in 1900 at the current pace. Realistically probably longer.

I don't see how a non B41 device would lose LTE? Flip phones don't cost much. They have a LTE flip.

50 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Since we have seen so many folks in the vendor/carrier alphabet soup collaborating, this seems like a great time for the smaller base carriers to get aggresive in competition. I like it. This may keep them honest on rollouts or worse, at least provide some dramady to distract us when they both light up two sites each in rural Montana on January 15 and call it a success.

Also, >twitter

I will save my super hot fire gif's once we see a reply back. Until then it is Yaass girl, 100% emoji, and fake news gifs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

How long do people keep their phone before upgrading?  The chart in that article indicates that as of end of 2016 in the US, half of the population upgraded their phone before they were 22.7 months old and half after that.  I do not have the statistics but I would guess that somewhere around 10% still have their phones 36 months (3 years) after they purchased them since 30 month financing is now common.  These numbers are likely higher for tablets, IOT devices, and other non-phone mobile devices as those devices are typically upgraded less frequently.  What this means is that 1900mhz CDMA voice channels likely cannot be fully removed until Sprint has not sold or allowed to be activated 1900mhz only CDMA devices for 3 more more years to avoid impacting a lot of users.

4 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

I like the Moxie.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I’m glad to see it. Now Sprint needs to put in the cash to make it happen.

The best thing Sprint can do is get it done and provide customer updates on the improvements as they’re completed in blog posts or on the coverage map:

https://www.sprint.com/network

6 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Oh Verizon, seems there offloading users onto wifi during the game, and device not reporting it..

Here’s a breakdown of Stadium prep by carrier: http://www.zdnet.com/article/super-bowl-lii-how-verizon-sprint-at-t-and-t-mobile-have-boosted-lte/

Perhaps Verizon didn’t disclose that WiFi offloading was part of its plan?

• Like 3

On 2/3/2018 at 10:03 PM, S4GRU said:

Sprint has passed AT&T in average performance, all in a year they were largely distracted by a merger.  Yet, they are awful.  Can't be trusted.  Some act like it's getting worse and worse. 

Sprint cannot make some people happy, no matter what.  If they aren't number one, they aren't anything.  But I swear, when they make it to number one in performance, the haters will complain about coverage.  They will have to be number one in everything.  And then it will be that they hate old ladies, or something.

They are committing more money than ever before.  And already spending more money than in the past few years.  They already are more active than before in the planning and early work.  More bidding, more contract issued.  New equipment is already hitting the streets.  Small cells popping up all over and more in planning.  And now they are talking about a significant macro site development too.  This is nothing like the past.  

And Sprint is still getting better and better.  And now that they are deploying B26 in my market, I will probably be coming back to Sprint again soon.

i totally agree with you. sprint has improved dramatically here and i m very impressed! site densitiy needs a bit of work but over all sprint has made alot of improvement. i cant wait to see what they have coming next.

• Like 1

I prefer to wait for the third party tests to come out before I make any judgements. Des from T-Mobile can pick and choose results and we'd never know. Verizon got caught setting an AT&T to show MB/s instead of Mbps along with testing devices on different servers to give them worse results.

39 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Here we go another doctored photo by TMobile to make themselves look good.dfdafbfe317b049a40a1bb8f2382d314.jpg

Sprint specially said that they had 2xCA running in the stadium. So these speeds fall inline with what youd expect from 2xCA 2x2 MIMO.  Considering there were over 65,000 folks crammed in such a tight space, I am very satisfied with those speeds. Now to address the uploads, I personally never had a need for more than 2 or 3mb, but as we move forward it will be nice to get 2xCA and B41+25B going.

Sprint specially said that they had 2xCA running in the stadium. So these speeds fall inline with what youd expect from 2xCA 2x2 MIMO.  Considering there were over 65,000 folks crammed in such a tight space, I am very satisfied with those speeds. Now to address the uploads, I personally never had a need for more than 2 or 3mb, but as we move forward it will be nice to get 2xCA and B41+25B going.
At events like that upload is more important. The other had speeds in the 30's

16 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

At events like that upload is more important. The others had speeds in the 30's

That is the biggest problem with TDD config 2.  Sacrificing upload speed for more download speed may be fine for the average user somewhere else but there are large events and special locations where lots of people take lots of pictures or videos and upload them.  In those cases, the normal TDD config 2 (12 to 1 download to upload ratio on a single carrier) of band 41 does not work well and gets much worse with 2 or 3 carrier download CA with no upload CA. 

Since we do not yet have FDD + TDD CA or TDD upload CA on most devices, I would like to see Sprint develop better band steering algorithms that temporarily move heavy uploaders off band 41 to the available band and carrier with the most upload capacity while they are uploading.

• Like 1

Yep the Galaxy S8 supports 2x upload. What's the reason there? Sprint even needs upload CA on their FDD network since they find have much 15x15 or 20x20