Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Perhaps the jump to Massive MIMO was worth waiting for instead of accelerating an 8T8R deployment? Isn’t the installation footprint for Massive MIMO about the same as 8T8R? 
No there are more 8T8R than anything else but mini macros are starting to become dominant

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No there are more 8T8R than anything else but mini macros are starting to become dominant

Mini macros are the same exact units used in stand alone small cell deployments and on macro sites.

They're cheap, they require minimal work to configure, and are widely available compared to macro equipment and have the factor of being reusable if not needed anymore on macro sites.

The vast majority of macro sites outside of rural or suburban areas will have 8t8r units with a few hundred in urban high density areas having massive mimo units.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Mini macros are the same exact units used in stand alone small cell deployments and on macro sites.

They're cheap, they require minimal work to configure, and are widely available compared to macro equipment and have the factor of being reusable if not needed anymore on macro sites.

The vast majority of macro sites outside of rural or suburban areas will have 8t8r units with a few hundred in urban high density areas having massive mimo units.

Is 8t8r equipment reusable if a tower is upgraded to massive mimo?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terrell352 said:

That’s a great question! Curious to know this as well. Perhaps they can be used to replace old Clearwire equipment?

• Like 1

Yeah. Just put it into another macro site and doing a bit of work bringing it up.

Again massive MIMO units will be in high density urban areas where it's impact will be felt the most. It's numbers will not make a dent compared to 8t8r and the mini macro / small cell units which would provide the vast majority of coverage and capacity.

• Like 1

Yeah. Just put it into another macro site and doing a bit of work bringing it up. 
Again massive MIMO units will be in high density urban areas where it's impact will be felt the most. It's numbers will not make a dent compared to 8t8r and the mini macro / small cell units which would provide the vast majority of coverage and capacity.

What is it going to take to get b25/b26 CA?? Just software?

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

What is it going to take to get b25/b26 CA?? Just software?

Yeah I’d like to see carrier aggregation where B26 is the primary carrier and B25 is used for supplemental downlink. This would be massively helpful in markets like Seattle where B25 can give me 8-10 mbps down at -122 to -124 dBm but upload is almost abysmal. 

• Like 1

Yeah I’d like to see carrier aggregation where B26 is the primary carrier and B25 is used for supplemental downlink. This would be massively helpful in markets like Seattle where B25 can give me 8-10 mbps down at -122 to -124 dBm but upload is almost abysmal. 
The Galaxy S9 supports 25+25+26. The essential phone supports 25+26. The orbit Wonder also Supports 25+26

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

The Galaxy S9 supports 25+25+26. The essential phone supports 25+26. The orbit Wonder also Supports 25+26

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does Sprint support 25+25+26?

11 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

https://www.tmonews.com/2018/01/t-mobile-network-upgrades-minneapolis-super-bowl-lii/

Hopefully Sprint can brag about upgrades in Minneapolis, too.

Info about Sprint’s upgrades here:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/network-big-game.htm

• Like 2

https://www.tmonews.com/2018/01/t-mobile-network-upgrades-minneapolis-super-bowl-lii/

Hopefully Sprint can brag about upgrades in Minneapolis, too.

With how they are giving priority to the download over the upload, let’s just hope this doesn’t blow up in their face at sporting events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2018 at 9:17 AM, kg4icg said:

I guess a new airspan unit just passed thru fcc certification. 

https://fccid.io/PIDAS1300

Interesting design - from the marketing materials, these units are intended to be attached to overhead cable lines and include a built-in cable modem, or can function as an LTE relay where there's already LTE (presumably also band 41) for backhaul, among other interfaces: http://www.airspan.com/airstrand/.

• Like 2

Interesting design - from the marketing materials, these units are intended to be attached to overhead cable lines and include a built-in cable modem, or can function as an LTE relay where there's already LTE (presumably also band 41) for backhaul, among other interfaces: http://www.airspan.com/airstrand/.

Yeah that's the airspan airstrand which is a strand mounted small cell using Docsis for backhaul.. 

The other variant would be the Airpole which is a low powered standalone small cell you can put on a pole on the side of a house.

• Like 1

That is something I've been wondering about. I would think most people there are going to want to be uploading to social media rather then look at what others are doing during the game.

However I'd assume they track that amount of data tha is uploaded (and downloaded) during previous events and consider than during planning. but I honestly hope it work out well for all parties involved :)

That airpole needs a splash page on Sprint dot com, like the magic box. I would thoroughly enjoy having one of those.
It is not for public release, yet.

If you've seen their network slides you'll see it go from macro, mini macro, airpole, magic box, and femto. Only the MB and Femtos are customer accessible.

• Like 2

Any chance the AirPole or Strand Mount are going to customers like the magic box? I know, I know I had to ask though.  The magic box just won't work(my guess since I never asked the second time) at my house need something on the outside. There are 2 places in my yard I pick up B25 10x10.

I would love to see these on the gas pump canopy thing. I have seen a few sprint signals coming from the pumps canopy but it would be better if they were more wide spread.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Flompholph said:

Any chance the AirPole or Strand Mount are going to customers like the magic box? I know, I know I had to ask though.  The magic box just won't work(my guess since I never asked the second time) at my house need something on the outside. There are 2 places in my yard I pick up B25 10x10.

I would love to see these on the gas pump canopy thing. I have seen a few sprint signals coming from the pumps canopy but it would be better if they were more wide spread.

What do you mean gas canopy