Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 minute ago, utiz4321 said:

That is contrary to what is known. He did shop selling the company completely right around the first time the Mobile merger fell through. No one wanted to buy the company. 

And he could have been shopping it the same exact way that ase500 puts forth the first time.

16 minutes ago, JonnygATL said:

Why are you wasting your time?  The absurdly egregious grammatical mistakes that occur with astonishing regularity by the members on this page never cease to amaze me. It's like a joke but far, far worse. 

To willingly take on the role of grammar Nazi on the internet is a brave move. Your stress level must be off the charts. 

• Like 6

Also, I'm cool with the Altice deal, but as of right now, their cable assets cover a very small geographic area of the US. Xfinity and Spectrum, on the other hand, serve most of the US population. I can't see the Altice deal moving the needle much.

Sprint also has a danger in ramping up capital investment. In a market that is more increasingly competitive, will they be able to make return on investment? Let's not forget 5G is on the horizon. If Sprint doesn't get good results on this, I see Masa going back to the table with the Magentans waiving the white flag. That said, I am eager to see one last shot at making Sprint work. I personally wish Masa would take Sprint private as in buy up 100% under SoftBank. Maybe a SoftBank Mobile rebrand would do some good?

3 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

And he could have been shopping it the same exact way that ase500 puts forth the first time.

I think he was serious about selling. At least he claims he was. There is no reason to doubt him. It is certain he isnt in the same position now. It is pretty clear he sees value in holding on to sprint now.

• Like 1

That is contrary to what is known. He did shop selling the company completely right around the first time the Mobile merger fell through. No one wanted to buy the company. 
Never did he try to sell the company. He said that he wondered if he had gotten in over his head. He said he misjudged the regulatory environment in the US. Time and time again he has stated that he considers Sprint very important. Many of the things he has said recently would have been to lay the groundwork for a merger. Stop and really give this some thought. He bought ARM, he is building robots, and working on AI. If he really wanted out he could have divested to the open market. Sprint it is much better shape than it was when he bought it. He is buying more of it and spending more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ase500 said:

Never did he try to sell the company. He said that he wondered if he had gotten in over his head. He said he misjudged the regulatory environment in the US. Time and time again he has stated that he considers Sprint very important. Many of the things he has said recently would have been to lay the groundwork for a merger. Stop and really give this some thought. He bought ARM, he is building robots, and working on AI. If he really wanted out he could have divested to the open market. Sprint it is much better shape than it was when he bought it. He is buying more of it and spending more.

That isn't true. He said he tried to sell the company and there were several reports he was trying to sell. 

• Like 1

That isn't true. He said he tried to sell the company and there were several reports he was trying to sell. 
No, he said he had sought mergers. That goes to scale. The reports you read were speculative chatter from wall street. AND selling a company doesn't mean selling a company... Think back to Lampert, he sold his controlling share in sears to buy Kmart then used Kmart to buy back Sears and merge them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

To willingly take on the role of grammar Nazi on the internet is a brave move. Your stress level must be off the charts. 

It's pathetic you would say that.  When you can't even (or, worse,  won't take the time to) speak your own language correctly,  you are not just failing your own self but also EVERYONE AROUND YOU.

Enough said. 

Edited by JonnygATL
Clarity

5 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

5 hours ago, Fraydog said:

Sprint can prove everyone wrong and go for maxing out investment since no one believes it this time around. 

Fraydog, essentially I agree with your point here, but I want to correct you on something you said here (respectfully, no offense meant at all).

Despite Sprint being owned by Softbank and there being some integral connections between the two, its important that the two companies be viewed separately at least for the time being unless/until Softbank were to fully purchase and completely own Sprint.

I imagine perhaps you made an error in wording Sprint there regarding investment meant as Softbank instead. Lately in alot of comments I've seen from people who generally use to be critical of Sprint, are not focusing so much on that anymore, but rather towards Softbank and Masayoshi Son, which is undeniable that Softbank/Son has spent a bunch of time since owning Sprint, not getting regulatory support for their initial "attempts" seeking a merger with T-Mobile, by trying to sell Sprint elsewhere, along with waiting for other merger opportunities with T-Mobile, rather than actively investing in Sprint's network.

Meanwhile, Sprint has done some things to help manage the business during this time to improve on their service in ways they could be reasonably successful, minimizing risks and things that were hampering the company's opportunities for future successes. While I think some of what Sprint has been doing would have been better to do later on after their own investing outside of any involvement from Softbank and Son, I still understand and support Sprint doing what they have done, such as financial stability decisions, the Magic Box, and some other things.

Despite there also being some actions that I believe were not so good, such as Pokemon and Tidal, money which certainly could have been spent on network investment, perhaps there was an internal overview of the situation where the network spending had to be bigger than those other investments, something that needed backing of Softbank, or at least in the minimum the need for some time to pass where money could be put into it over time to be announced later on, as it has recently.

However, Sprint would not have had such delays in network spending if Softbank had committed to that much earlier, rather than focusing on merger attempts involving Sprint, along with those costly mergers outside of Sprint in which certainly those billions used were far more costly than Sprint's own investments in Pokemon and Tidal. That is what people are criticizing Softbank for, and why there is suspicion and a lack of confidence in Softbank for what is being mentioned in the media regarding their sudden refreshed commitment to Sprint.

It'll be great, if true, and I have some hope Masayoshi Son has plans in mind connected with the cable industry in the future that could be very beneficial for Sprint, though not pushing for cable interaction so much right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

It's pathetic you would say that.  When you can't even (or, worse,  won't take the time to) speak your own language correctly,  you are not just failing your own self but also EVERYONE AROUND YOU.

Enough said. 

Lol stop throwing shade ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fraydog said:

Also, I'm cool with the Altice deal, but as of right now, their cable assets cover a very small geographic area of the US. Xfinity and Spectrum, on the other hand, serve most of the US population. I can't see the Altice deal moving the needle much.

Sprint also has a danger in ramping up capital investment. In a market that is more increasingly competitive, will they be able to make return on investment? Let's not forget 5G is on the horizon. If Sprint doesn't get good results on this, I see Masa going back to the table with the Magentans waiving the white flag. That said, I am eager to see one last shot at making Sprint work. I personally wish Masa would take Sprint private as in buy up 100% under SoftBank. Maybe a SoftBank Mobile rebrand would do some good?

Sprint needs to finish densifying and expanding their coverage. They also need to refinance their debt with lower interest dates and pay some of it off. 5G can wait for a while...T-Mobile and Sprint can always l merge their networks and give them scale so that 5G won't be such a drain on resources. 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Enough said. 

How do you know how I do or do not speak? We have never spoken. Your constant complaining about completely understandable posts that are punctuated and/or grammatically constructed incorrectly on an internet forum, is making you look like a joke. 

You might want to pay close attention to my first sentence because it shows quite clearly that you indulge in the problem you complain about.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2017 at 11:07 PM, ase500 said:

No, he said he had sought mergers. That goes to scale. The reports you read were speculative chatter from wall street. AND selling a company doesn't mean selling a company... Think back to Lampert, he sold his controlling share in sears to buy Kmart then used Kmart to buy back Sears and merge them.

Maybe we are talking about different time periods. I am talking about shortly after Softbank fail to merge the company with T mobile in 2015. 

Here is proof the idea was floated in the press.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/report-softbank-floated-idea-selling-sprint-to-comcast-altice-amid-turnaround

Son would later say on one of the sprint earnings calls in 2016 that after the merger fell apart he was depressed and thought of selling the company. 

My speculation is that he would have done if he could have found a buyer. 

• Like 2

Sorry to interrupt the merger discussion, but I can't find the thread where we were originally discussing this and I figured this thread is a fine place to drop this.

I don't know if y'all remember the 1million thing that got announced a while back (http://www.1millionproject.org/ qualifying students without home internet can get free mobile hotspots) but my school district is participating and we've all been hearing about it from teachers. Here's the application https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SIEp5CFiujRarcKds8InCrej4ub8XMaN

The hotspots are limited to 3GB a month (:/) and you have to certify that the hotspot is your only home internet source.

And I think our district is doing this in conjunction with a free laptop program for disadvantaged students unrelated to the 1million project but I don't have any info on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caspar347 said:

Sorry to interrupt the merger discussion, but I can't find the thread where we were originally discussing this and I figured this thread is a fine place to drop this.

I don't know if y'all remember the 1million thing that got announced a while back (http://www.1millionproject.org/ qualifying students without home internet can get free mobile hotspots) but my school district is participating and we've all been hearing about it from teachers. Here's the application https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SIEp5CFiujRarcKds8InCrej4ub8XMaN

The hotspots are limited to 3GB a month (:/) and you have to certify that the hotspot is your only home internet source.

And I think our district is doing this in conjunction with a free laptop program for disadvantaged students unrelated to the 1million project but I don't have any info on that.

There was a merger discussion thread, but it was closed, probably because of the ending of the Sprint deal with T-Mobile. Although no official reason was given for the thread closure, I figure that was the purpose of it being closed.

17 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Anyone tuning in? There’s a livestream here: https://cc.talkpoint.com/well001/110717a_as/?entity=18_T7GJ11Y

I’ll listen to the Webcast replay later!

It is more insightful than these tend to be.

-$5-6 billion may be on the low side on CapEx going forward.

-Large push back towards traditional towers.

-Going back to the 25/26/41 on every macro tower where possible plan.

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

-Going back to the 25/26/41 on every macro tower where possible plan.

Wow this makes me extremely happy. 

Lets hope they keep to this and execute as fast as possible. Well Since the merger didn't work, Sprint has to prove everyone wrong now so they gotta put fire under their butts and build out and dense up the network.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

He sounds infinitely more confident, and free speaking than ever.

The fall of the DT deal seems to have removed all the weight from his and Sprint's back.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr.Nuke said:

-Going back to the 1.9/800/41 on every macro tower where possible plan.

Yup, I just heard exactly that. 5-6 Billion will be low side of CapEx going forward. He also mentions he wants a great network entering 2019.

• Like 1

Just now, SprintNYC said:

Yup, I just heard exactly that. 5-6 Billion will be low side of CapEx going forward. He also mentions he wants a great network entering 2019.

Sounds like changes and expansion on the network is going to be happening fast AF.

• Like 2

He mentions the reason why churn is high is due to markets where there is little LTE like band 25 or only  3G sites. He mentions Triband has to go to every tower and markets.

Good news for folks in markets such as Tucson AZ, Oklahoma etc.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

He mentions the reason why churn is high is due to markets where there is little LTE like band 25 or only  3G sites. He mentions Triband has to go to every tower and markets.

Good news for folks in markets such as Tucson AZ, Oklahoma etc.

Which makes sense, ain’t nobody got time to be on 3G lol

• Haha 1