Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to do that. Sprint has a mountain of debt. T-Mobile has much less that and actually has cash coming in positive cash flow. I know that Sprint just posted a profit again for the first time in 3 years. So it's interesting to see what's going to happen.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Actually with their newest spectrum purchases, their debt is pretty close to Spint's although it may have later due dates or better terms.

Actually with their newest spectrum purchases, their debt is pretty close to Spint's although it may have later due dates or better terms.

but T-Mobile is able to monetize on these resources...and turn a profit...sprint on the other hand has had made significant progress with its network which is fantastic and i hope they continue improving ...but they need to continue improving their network....and tmobile still has capacity issues where i am ...sprint is more consistent with speed. its going to be interesting to see how these two compete....

Hmmm didn't I mention that a couple weeks back....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

With all the merger rumors going around, its easy to forget who posted what concerning which merger may happen.

Personally, I think Altice, Charter, and Comcast will merge eventually. As I've written often here lately, cable company consolidation is likely to happen before they buyout wireless.

RedSpark,

For a moment you had me thinking this was about Masa trying to sell Sprint to Altice.

It's so hard to keep this all straight. Just a whirlwind of "familiar with the matter" tips.

Some of it is behind the scenes discussion. Other parts of it seem to be public posturing and trial balloons.

• Like 1

With all the merger rumors going around, its easy to forget who posted what concerning which merger may happen.

Personally, I think Altice, Charter, and Comcast will merge eventually. As I've written often here lately, cable company consolidation is likely to happen before they buyout wireless.

Comcast is as big as they can get. Unless the government scraps the monopoly exception that was put in place to help cable companies back in the 70's

And honestly Comcast doesn't need to.

It's so hard to keep this all straight. Just a whirlwind of "familiar with the matter" tips.

Some of it is behind the scenes discussion. Other parts of it seem to be public posturing and trial balloons.

Totally understandable.

I for one don't like how Masa keeps trying to sell off Sprint to another company, especially since he announced his plans for Sprint back when he was in the process of buying Sprint, which I really liked and admired his original vision. If he would have kept to it and actually invested in/built Sprint, he'd have my complete support and I'd be back to being a Sprint customer by now.

So, there is that issue I've heard about regarding the banks not allowing him to invest further into Sprint. I'm really not sure how true that is or not, but in case it is true, I'll say one thing I'd be very supportive of as an indirect way he could possibly do to bypass that restriction. Build a fiber network.

He could invest billions into Fiber to serve both businesses and homes, and also "sell" capacity to Sprint, without it being a direct investment. In the meantime, he'd be doing alot of good by providing people a true alternative to crappy Comcast I probably hate far more right now than the worst possible thing John Legere could do, and I'd even pay a few thousand dollars just to get that fiber over here from a build by the near main road where I live.

There are many people wanting better internet besides me, and in all reality, AT&T and Google are just too damn slow at getting Fiber out to more areas. If Masa did this, he could have not only a great fiber network for customers and Sprint, but also have a great way to repair Sprint's reputation by tying Sprint with a very popular Fiber internet service Masa could build. All without it being a direct investment into Sprint itself.

• Like 1

Comcast is as big as they can get. Unless the government scraps the monopoly exception that was put in place to help cable companies back in the 70's

And honestly Comcast doesn't need to.

I disagree. These cable companies need to merge, in order to accomplish the ultimate end goal in selling services to customers, which is the bundle. I've written alot about this here on S4GRU. Its essential for cable companies to consolidate in order to be able to sell bundles with wireless nationwide. AT&T, for example, isn't even fully bundling home internet with wireless, because they do not have national landline internet. Only Directv is being bundled with wireless, atm.

I disagree. These cable companies need to merge, in order to accomplish the ultimate end goal in selling services to customers, which is the bundle. I've written alot about this here on S4GRU. Its essential for cable companies to consolidate in order to be able to sell bundles with wireless nationwide. AT&T, for example, isn't even fully bundling home internet with wireless, because they do not have national landline internet. Only Directv is being bundled with wireless, atm.

So you would allow a single entity to own all the cable assets in the US? And presumably retain (by way of Comcast) Universal and all of the channels under it? That's interesting. Interesting only so far as you expecting a sweetheart bundling discount from a single company that will have an iron grip on broadcast media it doesn't (yet) own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Cordcutter here, we recently enjoyed the Time Warner Cable buyout. Now instead of Tom the TWC sales manager offering me internet for 90$ a month plus equipment rental, I get spam in my box from Spectrum, offering me internet for 100$ a month.

Buyouts have changed nothing but price here, speeds are the same, twisted pair is the competition, Tom is now probably unemployed, and we went wireless. Competition made that more affordable and reliable than cable. Who knew?

• Like 1

That would never happen because it would be a monopoly over pretty much the entire U.S.

Edit: JeffDTD said it before me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That would never happen because it would be a monopoly over pretty much the entire U.S.

Edit: JeffDTD said it before me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

even though the goverment is pro business i dont see them letting a monopoly happening like the AT&T landline monopoly in the 70s and 80s...

So you would allow a single entity to own all the cable assets in the US? And presumably retain (by way of Comcast) Universal and all of the channels under it? That's interesting. Interesting only so far as you expecting a sweetheart bundling discount from a single company that will have an iron grip on broadcast media it doesn't (yet) own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying this is something I personally want to see happen. Actually, I'm not a fan of cable as a technology and much prefer that companies invest in Fiber.

What I am saying is that cable companies, if they are interested in owning wireless, are going to first need/want to consolidate with other cable companies so they can bundle the services together as a package. Bundling is a great way for them to keep customers from switching/cancelling, due to the nature of having all services together in form of a discounted package and the hassle of switching.

Of course, it isn't as simple just as that. There is going to be mergers with entertainment companies with inclusive packages as part of the overall deal also. The more the merrier for whichever companies end up owning the majority. Now again, this doesn't mean that I personally support this. If it were my choice in the matter, I'd rather cable keep out of wireless, and let wireless be a telecom and advanced fiber-owned system, perhaps with three companies, AT&T, Verizon, and a Sprint/T-Mobile/Dish combo dealing in Fiber, Satellite, etc.

I'm not saying this is something I personally want to see happen. Actually, I'm not a fan of cable as a technology and much prefer that companies invest in Fiber.

For what it's worth, a lot of cable companies are upgrading to fiber. Altice is upgrading Optimum and Suddenlink to FTTH/FTTP so they can provide gigabit speeds to users.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, a lot of cable companies are upgrading to fiber. Altice is upgrading Optimum and Suddenlink to FTTH/FTTP so they can provide gigabit speeds to users.

Are they actually moving dirt? I know they have issued press releases after the close of the merger, but haven't seen actual upgrades taking place. Maybe I need to start stalking the Optimum DSLReports forums.

Are they actually moving dirt? I know they have issued press releases after the close of the merger, but haven't seen actual upgrades taking place. Maybe I need to start stalking the Optimum DSLReports forums.

I'm uncertain but I know my Optimum service has been acting up for the past 2 weeks and that usually only occurs when they're doing some upgrades.

Over at DSLReports, a guy from NJ said this:

Not sure if this was mentioned here as of yet since Im kind of new here but I just had a fiber installer at my house in Edison NJ for help with my current 200mb internet since they needed some help. He told me that he is in the area in Edison, Metuchen and Highland Park completing fiber runs around the towns. For this area, the new fiber service will be up in early 2018 he said, which makes me hope the first quarter.

He also told me how its going to work, fiber into the gateway/modem, Altice will also have a google wifi kind of setup, where there is little wifi nodes around the house. The nodes and gateway will also provide the connection to the 'cable' boxes for TV. All of the nodes and mini tv cableish boxes can all be wired as well, so wifi isnt needed.

Also found out that 4K will be added to the service when it is launched as well if you use their TV.

It looks like I am going to need my own fiber modem since I have the new Eeros and their security subscription since I dont have cable with them now.

It also seems like we'll be getting some type of cable box similar to what Altice uses for SFR in France. One that can connect via coax or fiber.

http://ncdn-video.sfr.com/Box-zive/video.mp4

• Like 1

Well, considering the various near-constantly changing reports regarding which cable company is buying the other, it would be great if Altice went for Comcast, as I'd love for there to be a Fiber developing cable company here not relying on crappy DOCSIS 3.1 that hardly works.

The thing which isn't good at least with most of the cable companies right now, is their greed in wanting to extract every bit of life out of old cable, and as I've been through extreme difficulty with Comcast these past several weeks trying to get my internet speeds up to par as they were during the first few months, I've been reading other situations online from others who know more about the technical aspects of cable than I do, but I've learned alot from them and am absolutely convinced on Fiber as the way to go.

Well, considering the various near-constantly changing reports regarding which cable company is buying the other, it would be great if Altice went for Comcast, as I'd love for there to be a Fiber developing cable company here not relying on crappy DOCSIS 3.1 that hardly works.

The thing which isn't good at least with most of the cable companies right now, is their greed in wanting to extract every bit of life out of old cable, and as I've been through extreme difficulty with Comcast these past several weeks trying to get my internet speeds up to par as they were during the first few months, I've been reading other situations online from others who know more about the technical aspects of cable than I do, but I've learned alot from them and am absolutely convinced on Fiber as the way to go.

Comcast can't buy anymore Cable Companies, nor can any existing cable company buy them. Unless laws are changed.

Comcast can't afford fiber to the home nor to the pole. I believe many Comcast markets are already fiber to the node.

Comcast can't buy anymore Cable Companies, nor can any existing cable company buy them. Unless laws are changed.

Comcast can't afford fiber to the home nor to the pole. I believe many Comcast markets are already fiber to the node.

There already are talks of cable companies looking to merge. After all, Comcasrt tried to buy Time Warner Cable, and while that merger failed, it was under a different political administration.

I realize many here don't particularly favor mergers, and while I support certain mergers within the telecom industry, I'm not too thrilled about the prospects regarding cable company mergers and cable company interests in buying out telecom through the wireless industry. However, this doesn't mean I can ignore the news of merger rumors and developments, especially knowing the current pro-business environment currently.

Therefore, just because in the past certain rules and regulations put in place to prevent certain of these acquisitions from happening and monopoly prevention measures, doesn't mean these will still be enacted to prevent them now. Things are very different in this current business climate, and I was saying this here predicting these reports would happen if the business climate were politically favorable, which it is now.

Again, it doesn't necessarily mean that I favor all of these developments. Cable, as much I despise the old technology, has its purpose, but I certainly don't like the idea of cable company industry veterans taking a hold on wireless, with wireless being a future tech that is constantly advancing. I'll give credit though to Altice after hearing of their interest in Fiber though, which if anything to mix with the wireless industry, its Fiber companies.

You can continue to talk about cable companies merging and that the administration has changed. This doesn't change the fact that since 1890 the government has looked down on monopolies. I also don't know why anyone would want to further take away choices from the consumer and watch prices skyrocket.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

You can continue to talk about cable companies merging and that the administration has changed. This doesn't change the fact that since 1890 the government has looked down on monopolies. I also don't know why anyone would want to further take away choices from the consumer and watch prices skyrocket.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like I'm supporting monopoly corporatism, just saying that clearly the direction going on sure looks that way via the reports in the media and such. Also, while I don't support cable companies getting involved in wireless, I understand why they want to, along with what their goals are for convergence with the entire technological services markets. The more a company owns, the more services they can sell in bundles, not only the more money they make but also the easier it is to keep a consumer.

However as I've been saying of what I do support regardless of differing opinions I know there are here between myself and several other S4GRU members, I would like to see there be a three carrier market, either with AT&T buying T-Mobile, or Sprint buying T-Mobile, though I really want to see a tie-up between T-Mobile and Dish at least, regardless which direction T-Mobile may go in.

Of course, its possible Sprint may go in a different direction, and it could eventually end up in an even tighter market competition. Yet, I don't believe for a moment that a pro-business political environment would deny a merger, unless its going to be very bad for other businesses where competitors gather to complain loudly enough. In that case, then perhaps the government would restrict a merger like that.

FYI, and I've mentioned this many times here in the past... My main reason for supporting telecom mergers within wireless, is not because I'd like to see less choice. My views are not necessarily anti-consumer, or even pro-business. I simply want to see companies be able to have wider spectrum holdings and to gain more leverage where they can arrange for larger spectrum trading to mainstream their spectrum holdings across markets, essentially fixing the errors of the auction system that puts spectrum discrepancies between markets.

If one of the 4 "national" wireless companies is removed by merger or other means prices will go up. Sprint has to find a solution that saves them and prevents the loss of a national carrier. If this means seeking a merge with a cable company so be it. While I wouldn't prefer this if it keeps competitive prices I will be able to accept it.

In one form or another all carriers have said that if competition of one company is removed they will all increase their prices. This will only hurt the consumer.

There is no way to correct what the auctions did, this was all free market at work. There is nothing fair in business and each has to work with the resources they have. As we have seen they are all swapping spectrum to make things work for them.