Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The article you linked to doesn't really state this, nor did Claure at the conference the quotes in the article are from. Adding a word to "Sprint hints at future phone leasing program" to get Sprint hints at future for phone leasing program significantly changes the meaning.

It really isn't that big of a deal, is it? It still is news, and I stuck to being on-topic about Sprint, and my post length was short.

Besides, its good news to hear for those at least interested in leasing. Ever since John Legere (and yes, I'm crediting him for doing something, which may be viewed as either good or bad, depending on viewpoint), decided to start the process of eliminating contracts, phone costs have generally become more costly. Personally, I never believed in his reasons for doing so, and I believe at the very least, contracts should be an option, or a good leasing program.

• Like 1

"We plan to deploy millions of Magic Boxes."

Millions? Does Airspan have the production capacity for this?

I'm beginning to fear there is way too much hope being put on this "magic box" in a window.    Need more than a box, that by the way,  I get to pay the electricity to run,  in my window.   It's called Towers...   

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

You'll never catch me leasing a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Same I'm content with easy pay, once it's paid off new phone time and or cheaper bill. And I own it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Same I'm content with easy pay, once it's paid off new phone time and or cheaper bill. And I own it.

Well, there are advantages to owning, that is true.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to fear there is way too much hope being put on this "magic box" in a window. Need more than a box, that by the way, I get to pay the electricity to run, in my window. It's called Towers...

I feared the same but Marcelo bounced they partnered with a cable company for their small cell roll out. Magic Box is just the cherry on top I guess

• Like 2

Is this article hinting at strand mount small cells being deployed?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-confirms-trial-small-cells-cable-company

Basically. You have to work with a cable Co or local telco to have strand mounted small cells.

Tmobile has deployed some in socal and other places.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Basically. You have to work with a cable Co or local telco to have strand mounted small cells.

Tmobile has deployed some in socal and other places.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agreed.   I think it's a good thing.   Anything to help speed up deployment!

256QAM is gonna be the real game changer.

Eh, how so?  The maximum possible throughput gain from 64QAM to 256QAM is 33 percent -- at the cost of 300 percent increase in modulation complexity.  SINR must be very high to support 256QAM, so utilization will be quite limited to when/where signal is very strong, very clean.

AJ

I got tired of having an unusable cellphone at Ford Motor Company and at Greenfield Village across the street.    I bought an unlocked phone and got a 30 day pre-pay on T-Mobile.      Works fantastic indoors and around my work area!    Works great at home too!    T-Mobile has caught up and has passed us!!     Sprint...Within 1% of competitors?  No.... I don't think so... not yet.    Pass on that Kool Aid!

You are in Detroit, man.  You cannot generalize "1%" reliability regarding Sprint or T-Mobile based on your limited experience within your limited area.  Not to mention, Sprint has not had full access to its low band spectrum in Detroit, while T-Mobile has had full access to its more recently acquired low band spectrum almost from the outset.

AJ

• Like 5

Is this a good thing?

Sure. It is another tool that Sprint can use to deploy their spectrum. You get the benefits of direct backhaul from the cable provider you are using, less permitting hassles than a macro or in many places other small cell deployments, theoretically quick installs, and at a significantly lower cost than a traditional macro deployment.

• Like 1

I spent four days last week traversing, being metal, in Michigan. When viewing the phone(I was navigator) I saw band 26 ~thrice past Lansing on the way to Grand Rapids, passing fields; where you would expect it. I spent time in Garden City, a neighborhood in Highland on the lake, a park in Fenton and then Flint; concert halls and a few bars in downtown GR, as well as an interesting Motel 6 nowhere near downtown. We headed to Cass & Bagley to see old friends downtown then Redford. In and Out of DTW. All the highways in between and a few old back roads in Howell for kicks.

I spent the most time on band 41 anywhere yet. I recorded no tests on band 41 below 25Mb/s down. I had no band 25 10x10 uploads below 10. Well over 1k miles. I have 50 + speed tests and a couple of logs. Michigan is in my mobilitie news search once a week.

I would get on that Sprint App good user, sounds like they missed a spot.

I agree!

https://imgur.com/a/BwrqS

• Like 3

Eh, how so? The maximum possible throughput gain from 64QAM to 256QAM is 33 percent -- at the cost of 300 percent increase in modulation complexity. SINR must be very high to support 256QAM, so utilization will be quite limited to when/where signal is very strong, very clean.

AJ

I'm not that well versed on the technical side of it, but it has to be a lot better no? Then again HPUE is kind of a hit or miss at this point so I do have my reservations.

So, u actually have clear equipment up? All of our clear in Columbus has been replaced by Nokia mini macros, which are only 2xca.

I get great speeds on the MM that I come across and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only markets with Huawei equipment got replaced. Those of us with Samsung 2xCA equipment still have the same equipment. Works pretty well too, at least in the KC and STL areas. The fattest speed I ever recorded (133Mbps) was from a Clear site using Samsung equipment. I still have hit a peak speed like that even using 3xCA on Sprint-Nokia equipment.

Sent from my LG G5

It really isn't that big of a deal, is it? It still is news

You literally wrote "Sprint is considering a new phone leasing program," and linked to an article that doesn't say that. I have no problem with linking to that article. Just try and be more accurate in your summation of it. Outside of that article Claure provided some pretty good color into why Sprint likes phone leasing during his interview at the conference. A better discussion would be focused on that.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to fear there is way too much hope being put on this "magic box" in a window.    Need more than a box, that by the way,  I get to pay the electricity to run,  in my window.   It's called Towers...   

And I'm sure you're upset that you pay for the electricity to run your home router/modem, too.

-Anthony

• Like 2

And I'm sure you're upset that you pay for the electricity to run your home router/modem, too.

-Anthony

First off, I don't think using a MagicBox was his main complaint. His concern, which I share, is that Sprint may be putting a bit too much stock in these boxes. Not every business will be open to the MagicBox, so a denser LTE network is still needed for VoLTE. This box seems to be a band-aid for the incoming complaints that will result from VoLTE. I think it's great that they are being proactive on that front, but sprint should still densify their network. B41 small cells aren't enough. Only B26 will provide true indoor reliability.

Second, you're comparing apples to oranges.

A router/modem is for his own personal use and not his neighbors. A MagicBox is open to him and his nearby neighbors for use.

While electricity usage is a valid concern, users have the option of simply not using these boxes. Rely on Wi-Fi and 1x800...problem solved.

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 2

Only markets with Huawei equipment got replaced. Those of us with Samsung 2xCA equipment still have the same equipment. Works pretty well too, at least in the KC and STL areas. The fattest speed I ever recorded (133Mbps) was from a Clear site using Samsung equipment. I still have hit a peak speed like that even using 3xCA on Sprint-Nokia equipment.

Sent from my LG G5

What's the 3xCA deployment plan for markets with existing Samsung 2xCA gear? Wait until it breaks or upgrade it now?

How much 3xCA is actually being deployed? Sprint has previously said this: https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/01/sprint-enables-3-carrier-aggregation-more-devices (January 31, 2017)

"While two-channel carrier aggregation is available in more than 250 markets nationwide, Sprint said three-channel carrier aggregation is now available in more than 100 markets, with expanded deployments on the way."

Marcelo's comment about not being "constrained on CapEx" has really got me trying to get my head around how Sprint is (or is not) spending money on equipment upgrades.

• Like 1

You are in Detroit, man.  You cannot generalize "1%" reliability regarding Sprint or T-Mobile based on your limited experience within your limited area.  Not to mention, Sprint has not had full access to its low band spectrum in Detroit, while T-Mobile has had full access to its more recently acquired low band spectrum almost from the outset.

AJ

AJ... I'm not basing it on one location or just 800mHz...in the Tri-County area.    My opinions are base on Detroit being an old Sprint market.    The Network here is in need of upgrade and those upgrades are coming VERY slow.  Thankfully 800 LTE is slowing making it's way here too.    This was confirmed with a Sprint Executive services call I had a few weeks back. (They called me)  Many towers in the area have not had anything done to them since Network Vision in 2013/14.   We reviewed over a dozen towers (Tower Loads, software updates, and outages in the area, by the way, many are still in need of back haul work/upgrades...)  between where I work (Dearborn MI, and where I live (35miles north of Dearborn). The Sprint rep was very nice and took notes of issues I had experienced.   Very professional.   

I always keep routing for Sprint to pull off a miracle.

• Like 1

I don't know if my expectations are too high for Band 41 or what, but in this area I find the Clear gear to be very disappointing in its performance.  For example, the Clear site at King Street Metro, basically across the street from the Metro station, sits at around -100 dBm on the train.  In fact, about half the time, sitting in that spot I connect to the 1101 King Street 8T8R at about the same signal level.  Additionally, there is only one B41 carrier on that site.

The Clear site at Beacon Hill doesn't seem to get into the Giant grocery store, with my connection inside usually being B26 despite, again, being right across the street.  Despite better line of sight to the Clear site at Huntley Meadows Park, at Costco I'm just as frequently on the 8T8R from INOVA Mount Vernon Hospital as I am on B26 from Huntley Meadows Park.  The Clear signal is more or less absent inside the store.  I've harped on the Clear signal from my home site enough, I think, so I won't retread here.

I keep crossing my fingers that they'll replace the Clear gear with 8T8Rs, though at this point I'm just glad to see them finishing the LTE rollout and adding B41 to sites that currently have only B25/B26.  Both have been a very long time coming.

- Trip

• Like 4

I don't know if my expectations are too high for Band 41 or what, but in this area I find the Clear gear to be very disappointing in its performance.  For example, the Clear site at King Street Metro, basically across the street from the Metro station, sits at around -100 dBm on the train.  In fact, about half the time, sitting in that spot I connect to the 1101 King Street 8T8R at about the same signal level.  Additionally, there is only one B41 carrier on that site.

The Clear site at Beacon Hill doesn't seem to get into the Giant grocery store, with my connection inside usually being B26 despite, again, being right across the street.  Despite better line of sight to the Clear site at Huntley Meadows Park, at Costco I'm just as frequently on the 8T8R from INOVA Mount Vernon Hospital as I am on B26 from Huntley Meadows Park.  The Clear signal is more or less absent inside the store.  I've harped on the Clear signal from my home site enough, I think, so I won't retread here.

I keep crossing my fingers that they'll replace the Clear gear with 8T8Rs, though at this point I'm just glad to see them finishing the LTE rollout and adding B41 to sites that currently have only B25/B26.  Both have been a very long time coming.

- Trip

You should talk to the manager at the Giant about requesting a Magic Box for the store. You could also hit up Corporate (http://giantfood.com/contact_us/) about it and explain what it is and how shoppers like yourself would have a better store experience.

Given Marcelo's comments about CapEx, is the Clear gear still around due to 8T8R equipment delays or funding limitations?

If the antennas are right across the street, should a Magic Box even be needed?  The other carriers don't seem to have issues keeping PCS or AWS going inside the store.  (AT&T and T-Mobile are on the same building; Verizon is nearby on a water tower.)  Next time I'm there (which isn't often) I'll check again, just in case I'm remembering incorrectly about the other carriers.

If every building needs a Magic Box to make the Sprint B41 network function, even right next to macro equipment, then Sprint's going to be in trouble.  That's a huge hardware outlay depending on having permission from every building owner in the country.  And it's an issue the other carriers don't seem to have.

- Trip

• Like 3