Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Figure of speech.

All a modern small cells are eNBs that can be remotely managed. Airave 3 is one, the airspan Airunity MB is one etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tim do you see Sprint doing more B25 small cells in cities that can do wideband LTE then cities that can't?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Tim do you see Sprint doing more B25 small cells in cities that can do wideband LTE then cities that can't?

The large majority of small cells will be B41 or B26.

That's good. I haven't really been following all the individual forums. Did they mention anything about Capex on the call. IIRC, the CFO said it will be much higher all of 2017, so based on what you told me it seems they are committing to it.

I still don't see them expanding much until they are merged though.

CapEx info:

$3.5 Billion to $4 Billion

Page 28 of Presentation: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_presentations/2016/2-Fiscal-4Q16-Earnings-Slides-Final.pdf

Page 18 of Investor Update: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2016/Q4/3-Fiscal-4Q16-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf

Some other interesting stats from the Investor Update:

Page 8:

• Postpaid smartphones^ represented 94 percent of the ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 92 percent at the end of the year-ago period and 94 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 98 percent of postpaid phones sold were smartphones.

• Postpaid tri-band LTE phones^ represented 84 percent of the ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 69 percent at the end of the year-ago period and 82 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 96 percent of postpaid phones sold were tri-band.

This means that just under 16 percent of Sprint's customer base is on a single or dual band LTE device.

• Postpaid carrier aggregation capable phones^, which allow for higher download data speeds, were 72 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 55 percent.

Sprint has to keep people upgrading to increase this number. According to this Investor Update from the prior quarter (http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_presentations/2016/3_Fiscal-3Q16-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf), "Postpaid carrier aggregation capable phones^, which allow for higher download data speeds, were 78 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 50 percent."

Page 9:

• Postpaid phone connections on unsubsidized service plans^ represented 74 percent of the base at the end of the quarter, compared to 61 percent in the year-ago period and 71 percent in the prior quarter.

~1 in 4 Sprint Postpaid customers is on a plan like Everything Data or Unlimited My Way. That's still a very surprising number.

• Like 2

I think they said it can reach 100 meters outside which is about 300 feet. Also imagine if you're in a neighborhood that has a few of these turned on. It can probably cover the whole neighborhood pretty good (depending how spaced out they are and how big the neighborhood is of course)

Positive. That is what got me excited about it. An airave that doesnt need a user's internet for back haul isn't that exciting to me. I listen to his part of the call twice.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Again, depends on the building they are in, and that's best case scenario there. I would imagine in most cases coverage is closer to 100 feet. Tim might be able to give a better answer...

Hmm, the Magic Box will basically cover my house and the land it sits on. I sit about 1/3 of the way back on an acre of land, which is 294' long and 165' wide. So it should give me decent outdoor signal all over my yard. I'll like that. It'll work better than the range on the Wifi Connect.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I filled out the pre-order form, if I get one I will be putting it in my wooden shed out in the backyard to help outdoor coverage, I know the people on the next street would appreciate it. My house is on top of a hill which yields me a B25 signal around -94dB the street on over the hill have a weaker signal so this magic box should help somewhat.

• Like 1

I don't think Charter Communications is interested in merging or purchasing Sprint since they are still digesting the purchase of TWC.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen a Sprint strand mount site? There's a picture on page 12 of the 4Q16 deck that RedSpark posted:

http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_presentations/2016/2-Fiscal-4Q16-Earnings-Slides-Final.pdf

Strand Mounts is like the Ericsson 2203 small cells tmobile is deploying.

Dont think any is deployed yet but it's also an option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe those strand mounts are a solution for those areas that fight the installation of new utility poles.

Also the title "Millions of Small Cells", although I'm sure it's hyperbole, is great to read. Between femtocells, magic boxes, mini macros, and those pole mounted small cells, they might actually be able to reach into the millions of small cells number. They just have to be push those femtocells as hard as they push free tablets.

Can you imagine whole neighborhoods with magic boxes? Or apartment buildings with several in them?cyTdyFi.png

• Like 6

I don't think Charter Communications is interested in merging or purchasing Sprint since they are still digesting the purchase of TWC.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

btw, Happy "May the 4th Be With You" day

• Like 1

CapEx info:

$3.5 Billion to $4 Billion

Page 28 of Presentation: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_presentations/2016/2-Fiscal-4Q16-Earnings-Slides-Final.pdf

Page 18 of Investor Update: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2016/Q4/3-Fiscal-4Q16-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf

Some other interesting stats from the Investor Update:

Page 8:

• Postpaid smartphones^ represented 94 percent of the ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 92 percent at the end of the year-ago period and 94 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 98 percent of postpaid phones sold were smartphones.

• Postpaid tri-band LTE phones^ represented 84 percent of the ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 69 percent at the end of the year-ago period and 82 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 96 percent of postpaid phones sold were tri-band.

This means that just under 16 percent of Sprint's customer base is on a single or dual band LTE device.

• Postpaid carrier aggregation capable phones^, which allow for higher download data speeds, were 72 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 55 percent.

Sprint has to keep people upgrading to increase this number. According to this Investor Update from the prior quarter (http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_presentations/2016/3_Fiscal-3Q16-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf), "Postpaid carrier aggregation capable phones^, which allow for higher download data speeds, were 78 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 50 percent."

Page 9:

• Postpaid phone connections on unsubsidized service plans^ represented 74 percent of the base at the end of the quarter, compared to 61 percent in the year-ago period and 71 percent in the prior quarter.

~1 in 4 Sprint Postpaid customers is on a plan like Everything Data or Unlimited My Way. That's still a very surprising number.

Looks like capex is the same this year as last year.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Looks like capex is the same this year as last year.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I thought actual capex last year ended up being much lower?

Don't you guys get it? The Magic Box is about VoLTE! Sprint knows millions of its customers fall to unreliable LTE or CDMA when they cross into their homes. T-Mobile had the same issue when they deployed VoLTE. But Tmo VoLTE hands off to WCDMA voice. Sprint VoLTE will not be able to reliably hand off to CDMA.

Sprint is focusing on densifying LTE inside its footprint. But even so, the place customers will most frequently cross the VoLTE/CDMA threshold will be walking in and out of their homes. People most often 'talk' on their phones at home than any other place.

Thus, being inside the home, or coming/going from the home is the most critical place for quality of LTE signal in a VoLTE network. It is also the most difficult place for any provider to get a consistent reliable VoLTE signal. Millions of individual locations. Tmo knows this, and thus provides the LTE Cell Spot. Since homes are in different locations and made of different materials, Sprint is wise to shore up something in homes regardless of their network condition.

Sprint is going the way of the Magic Box because it is a repeater. A repeater extends the macro network. A femtocell has a completely different route to the network, making handoffs more difficult. Ask me how reliable handoffs are from my Tmo CellSpot. Only about 80% in my instance. If you go directly from the macro network on repeater inside to the macro network not repeated outside, you're much more likely to keep your voice call.

Sprint is still going to offer LTE femtocells for those where it is a better option. But I have to stick my finger in the eyes of those of you who say Sprint is doing this as band aid solution instead of working on their network. This is a key thing to a quality VoLTE network experience for Sprint customers.

And for most of you who are complaining about this, you also complain about lack of simultaneous voice and data. And this is what this is all about. VoLTE.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 21

Don't you guys get it? The Magic Box is about VoLTE! Sprint knows millions of its customers fall to unreliable LTE or CDMA when they cross into their homes. T-Mobile had the same issue when they deployed VoLTE. But Tmo VoLTE hands off to WCDMA voice. Sprint VoLTE will not be able to reliably hand off to CDMA.

Sprint is focusing on densifying LTE inside its footprint. But even so, the place customers will most frequently cross the VoLTE/CDMA threshold will be walking in and out of their homes. People most often 'talk' on their phones at home than any other place.

Thus, being inside the home, or coming/going from the home is the most critical place for quality of LTE signal in a VoLTE network. It is also the most difficult place for any provider to get a consistent reliable VoLTE signal. Millions of individual locations. Tmo knows this, and thus provides the LTE Cell Spot. Since homes are in different locations and made of different materials, Sprint is wise to shore up something in homes regardless of their network condition.

Sprint is going the way of the Magic Box because it is a repeater. A repeater extends the macro network. A femtocell has a completely different route to the network, making handoffs more difficult. Ask me how reliable handoffs are from my Tmo CellSpot. Only about 80% in my instance. If you go directly from the macro network on repeater inside to the macro network not repeated outside, you're much more likely to keep your voice call.

Sprint is still going to offer LTE femtocells for those where it is a better option. But I have to stick my finger in the eyes of those of you who say Sprint is doing this as band aid solution instead of working on their network. This is a key thing to a quality VoLTE network experience for Sprint customers.

And for most of you who are complaining about this, you also complain about lack of simultaneous voice and data. And this is what this is all about. VoLTE.

I thought it was a good idea for public places and, bad for use I'm homes. However David K pointed out cells sites can't be put in ever corner of the city. I'm on board with it now. So this is a option to help. It also doesn't work in areas with no towers. So I think it's a good idea and, I see the other carriers doing it also.

• Like 2

Would I be able to get a magic box for my office (which is a black hole for cell signal) instead of my home? There's B25, but you can only get it near the walls, and then the drop off is to zero. I should also note my office WiFi is close to useless (thank you Centurylink).

Would I be able to get a magic box for my office (which is a black hole for cell signal) instead of my home? There's B25, but you can only get it near the walls, and then the drop off is to zero. I should also note my office WiFi is close to useless (thank you Centurylink).

It has to be put the a window. It might help tho.

I haven't made a single complaint about Sprint's Magic Box, because for the most part, I like the idea. I've thought of something similar to this for a while in use with AT&T's Directv service in a bit different connection than the Magic Box, though still similar in some core ways. I haven't mentioned my full idea of it though, because I'm not sure exactly how it would work.

Anyways, the only difference I think Sprint ought to make with giving these Magic Boxes to their customers, is to offer an incentive, such as a $5-$10 bill reduction that helps customers with the added cost of electricity, and as fair compensation for helping boost its network by taking up space inside their homes and businesses.

Surely, this seems like enough of an advantage to customers just by being able to have this for better service, but the point of some small compensation will help to go a long way in getting more of these to places.

Yes, VOLTE.  Right now, if I were on VOLTE service,  Driving toward my home, I would be on B-41.  If I walk into my home, I would have to drop to band 25 or maybe band 26.    Band 26 is already congested, so that might not be a good experience.  I might be better if it dropped to band 25, but until that gets upgraded to wider channels, the extra voice traffic on it is not going to help with congestion there.     I have a -109 level on Band 41 outside my home, but it will not penetrate my home especially at a level good enough to use VOLTE.   Unfortunately, my cell site is at a location that causes the signal to go through my garage and then my kitchen before into gets to my living area.   Several walls, kitchen cabinets, refrigerator, and tinted glass in the windows.

To use VOLTE in my home, B-41 is not going to get it and the other two LTE bands are too congested to be effective.

I was anti-VOLTE until this solution came along.  I have ordered the "magic-box".  Not sure if I am going to be approved for one.

I am a perfect example of a home that has great CDMA voice service but would probably have crappy VOLTE service.

I probably might have to use Wi-Fi calling and that is sure a downgrade from the great CDMA service I now have.

My neighbors have the same issue.  Millions of people in the country are going to have the issue. If they try to use VOLTE on band 26 with the congestion on the narrow channel, it is not going to be a good experience.

Don't you guys get it? The Magic Box is about VoLTE! Sprint knows millions of its customers fall to unreliable LTE or CDMA when they cross into their homes.

• Like 1

I still feel that they need to reoptimize the entire network before they do a VoLTE launch. Once you're doing VoLTE one thing you gotta do is stretch that low band signal as far as it will go, congestion issues be damned. As things are currently for my area I'd probably lose calls on certain roads. Right now not even AT&T and it's garbage density in my area loses VoLTE calls very easily, they're also stretching B12 out as far as it needs to go, and B2 is pushed out about as far as B12.

If Sprint can get those Magic Boxes in businesses and homes all over Chicago the indoor LTE coverage might actually be pretty decent for once.

Sprint can't get to VOLTE with these magic boxes. Say, even if 60% of Sprint customers are convinced to put these magic boxes up at their window ledges, thus creating indoor B41 connections, does it really allow Sprint to go VOLTE, thereby risking dropped calls and disruption over the other 40% of customer base? The only way to go VOLTE is to build near ubiquitous LTE coverage comparable to CDMA. These magic boxes just won't get you there. Anything short of 80% coverage is too disruptive to the voice experience. We all remember the Network Vision fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint can't get to VOLTE with these magic boxes. Say, even if 60% of Sprint customers are convinced to put these magic boxes up at their window ledges, thus creating indoor B41 connections, does it really allow Sprint to go VOLTE, thereby risking dropped calls and disruption over the other 40% of customer base? The only way to go VOLTE is to build near ubiquitous LTE coverage comparable to CDMA. These magic boxes just won't get you there. Anything short of 80% coverage is too disruptive to the voice experience. We all remember the Network Vision fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Network vision fisaio? Rebuilding takes a very long time. Only reason Sprint got bashed is cause they were the only one doing it. These boxes will help carriers cant put cell sites in every single spot.

Only reason Sprint got bashed is cause they were the only one doing it. 

Yeah, I don't agree with that. T-Mobile has completely revamped their entire network (plus expanded coverage) in almost half the time of Network Vision. 

Verizon and AT&T have also had to rebuild their entire network. They've also been consistently upgrading their equipment for new bands and new LTE-A tech.

To say that only Sprint did that, is pretty naive...

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't agree with that. T-Mobile has completely revamped their entire network (plus expanded coverage) in almost half the time of Network Vision.

Verizon and AT&T have also had to rebuild their entire network. They've also been consistently upgrading their equipment for new bands and new LTE-A tech.

To say that only Sprint did that, is pretty naive...

Thos 3 didn't rip and replace.

• Like 2