Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So they're showing results from one little cherry picked area from a huge metro? I feel like every carrier is number one SOMEWHERE in every market no matter how bad they are overall in said market.

I'm not sure why Sprint chose Lombard as their testing area source. Not that Lombard is a bad area for Sprint, but its not their best. Sprint ought to have chose Schaumburg, which was amazing back when I had Sprint.

Unless things have really changed around here and Lombard is even better now for them than Schaumburg. If that is the case, then perhaps Sprint is doing something right around here. After all, mostly what Sprint needs to do is to deploy band 41 on at least 95% of its sites with 3xca. That ought to be enough until they get around to densification.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why Sprint chose Lombard as their testing area source. Not that Lombard is a bad area for Sprint, but its not their best. Sprint ought to have chose Schaumburg, which was amazing back when I had Sprint.

Unless things have really changed around here and Lombard is even better now for them than Schaumburg. If that is the case, then perhaps Sprint is doing something right around here. After all, mostly what Sprint needs to do is to deploy band 41 on at least 95% of its sites with 3xca. That ought to be enough until they get around to densification.

huh...why would you pick the BEST place to test a technology to help you see how much improvement can be made?

I would think it's the opposite, but that's just me.  

From what I am reading, the magic box needs to connect to a sprint signal in order to work.  Is this correct?  If so, does it have better reception than a phone?  The place I currently have my Airave is approximately 25 miles (straight line) from the nearest upgraded towers in Auburn, Alabama. 

I've never seen a band 25 site do more than about 10 miles of range. At 25 miles, you're going to need the upcoming Airave 3 if you have backhaul available - but I think that's going to be Sprint's LTE solution for small businesses and corporate campuses, and not really for home users who can largely rely on WiFi for data.

The good news is that Sprint is hitting the Georgia market (which includes the Auburn-Opelika-Phenix City area) hard with upgrades of the 3G-only sites - the low-priority GMOs that were deferred due to relatively low usage - at the moment; they seem to have upgraded most of the sites in central Georgia in the past few weeks so hopefully they'll head in your direction once they're done here. The GMO upgraded sites will broadcast LTE on band 25, so they'll work with the Magic Box even if band 25 is weak indoors at your location - without band 41 on the tower, you won't get any real speed benefits but you will get the indoor coverage benefits. So if you have a EVDO/1X-only site near your location, there may be hope finally.

Unless there is a sort of Hail Mary in the next hour, I guess Marcelo and the rest of the executives at Sprint are not going to get their bonuses since its only one hour before the closing bell of the Stock Exchange and the stock is below $8. its currently at 7.80

5 months above $8 and on the last day, POOF

• Like 3

Unless there is a sort of Hail Mary in the next hour, I guess Marcelo and the rest of the executives at Sprint are not going to get their bonuses since its only one hour before the closing bell of the Stock Exchange and the stock is below $8. its currently at 7.80

Yeah, that really sucks. Big time.
  • Like 1

I can imagine Masa doing this for the entire flight all the way back home to Japan.

Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

• Like 5

I can imagine Masa doing this for the entire flight all the way back home to Japan.

Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

haha I didn't think the stock would sink this much...but I don't feel too bad for Marcelo.  He bought like $25 million of the stock at $5 when he first joined Sprint, it's still already 50% higher. 

• Like 1

Sprint ended up at the "unlucky" $7.77 Ouch!

Wall street is such a racket, some folks got really rich quick for sure.

Watch another day or two it will jump up to $10.00.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

huh...why would you pick the BEST place to test a technology to help you see how much improvement can be made?

I would think it's the opposite, but that's just me.

You could be right, though I suppose it depends on how someone views what Sprint's thinking was by this chart.

I thought it was to show just how good Sprint could be, which from my experience, Schaumburg was excellent and Lombard was good. Perhaps alot has changed since then in the area, despite reading otherwise. If people were reporting an 80% or more band 41 connectivity rate around here, along with at least 2xca, I'd be very tempted to go back with Sprint.

When I had Sprint last, which was over a year ago, every place that had band 41, which this was before 1xca was deployed largely, these areas were great with speed. The problem areas were where PCS was in use, such as Westmont, Downers Grove, and Woodridge. Yet heading out on the highway from Lombard down to Schaumburg and throughout during rush hour, the speeds on the almost always band 41 connection stayed strong.

Whereas in the same places at the same time on T-Mobile, getting around and below 5mbps, Sprint band 41 usually stayed in the mid to upper 20mbps region, non-ca, and only went down to 12-15mbps sparingly. This is what made me such a fan of band 41, and am completely confident if Sprint got band 41 at least heavily deployed, it would make enough difference to significantly improve their business and help bring in funding for densification.

That is why I'm so frustrated by austerity moves made by Sprint under Softbank and other non-network-focused decisions being made.

Yeah, that really sucks. Big time.

It sucks big time for those that were expecting the bonus, but it's probably a good thing for the cash strapped Sprint. 8 Million was the bonus just for Claure.

That's not chump change.

Just put in my request for the magic box. Fingers crossed for approval. Detroit area. I've got WIFI but don't mind helping out the neighborhood.

U put ur account number in the request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sucks big time for those that were expecting the bonus, but it's probably a good thing for the cash strapped Sprint. 8 Million was the bonus just for Claure.

That's not chump change.

The bonus has no impact on Sprint's cash or any of its numbers. It's all stock options for Claure and the Chiefs.  Claure could still get a salary increase though later this year.  We will see.  His base salary compensation is the lowest out of the big 4. 

The bonus has no impact on Sprint's cash or any of its numbers. It's all stock options for Claure and the Chiefs.  Claure could still get a salary increase though later this year.  We will see.  His base salary compensation is the lowest out of the big 4.

Gaaahhhh, no! Stock options are still an expense! It most certainly is reported on financial reporting. I do not know why people believe that money and/or stocks can just be created out of thin air with no accountability. https://hbr.org/2003/03/for-the-last-time-stock-options-are-an-expense

• Like 1

More shoddy -- or should I say "ugly" -- journalism...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/03/sprint-magic-box-announced-to-help-sprint-expand-network.html

AJ

• Like 4

More shoddy -- or should I say "ugly" -- journalism...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/03/sprint-magic-box-announced-to-help-sprint-expand-network.html

AJ

Well, as 'ugly' as the article is, at least they haven't suddenly changed the offending words (as of yet, at least), in order to conceal their journalistic ugliness, such as that one written by either Forbes or the WSJ you mentioned on that other article, AJ.

These clearly biased articles written by the MSM seem to be commonplace nowadays, ahead of what use to be factual writing written with journalistic integrity. At least when I write from opinion, which I usually do, I'll notify the reader of it being just that, opinion. I think opinion writing is just fine, but its got to be made clear to the reader, not something disguised as fact.

Is the magic box only 2.5 mhz.band 41

It only rebroadcasts (acting as a small cell) on band 41, but it connects to band 25 and band 41 sites. If you only have band 25 it'll help your indoor coverage but not help much with speed (unless you normally connect to band 26 and it's crowded in your area, in which case you might benefit from potential CA or wider channels on band 25). If all you can get even at your window is band 26, it won't work.

• Like 1

Just need some clarification: are the magic boxes the same as small cells but instead of outdoors now they are in doors?

If they are the same as the outdoor small cells then why does sprint need millions of them? Did they said they need to build only 50 to 60 thousand outdoor small cells?

Just need some clarification: are the magic boxes the same as small cells but instead of outdoors now they are in doors?

If they are the same as the outdoor small cells then why does sprint need millions of them? Did they said they need to build only 50 to 60 thousand outdoor small cells?

Small cells is an entire classification.

Mini macros, Picos, metrobcells, Das, repeaters, femtos etc.

The magic box is part of the femto category for indoor low coverage area usage.

Like how the outdoor small cells compliment the macro coverage and capacity. Femto cells compliment outdoor sites by providing a signal indoors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

. . . If all you can get even at your window is band 26, it won't work.

I can't get any signal inside yet.  :( That is why I would like an outdoor model or external antenna to drag outside to get the signal over the hillside. 100 meters should reach inside the house or other places outside. I think I may put a request in and try to put it outside in a weather proof box of some kind. This model is more for the city where there are lots of towers though more than rural areas.

I can't get any signal inside yet. :( That is why I would like an outdoor model or external antenna to drag outside to get the signal over the hillside. 100 meters should reach inside the house or other places outside. I think I may put a request in and try to put it outside in a weather proof box of some kind. This model is more for the city where there are lots of towers though more than rural areas.

It is not outdoor rated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk