Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It looks as though they changed the headline to something more professional now.

"Sprint's Unlimited Plans Beat Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile While 4G Network Ranked Last In OpenSignal Report".

Fake News

• Like 4

It looks as though they changed the headline to something more professional now.

"Sprint's Unlimited Plans Beat Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile While 4G Network Ranked Last In OpenSignal Report".

Didn't OpenSignal only grab data for a few cities?  They could've just said smallest LTE footprint, and it'd be professionally done and not-biased.

• Like 1

Didn't OpenSignal only grab data for a few cities?

No, that would be some guy named Tom.

AJ

Didn't OpenSignal only grab data for a few cities? They could've just said smallest LTE footprint, and it'd be professionally done and not-biased.

I'm not really sure about the OpenSignal reports. However, reading AJ's post had me pretty upset at Forbes they'd title an article like that, or even using such words as "crappy", to describe a company's wireless network. Sure thing though when I got to the article linking in from here, I noticed the headline must have been changed, and I couldn't find what AJ posted anywhere in the article. So in a sense, this actually is worse, because it means Forbes covered up their wrongdoing, which they didn't even bother to mention the correction.

As a notice, regardless of what I think of Softbank, I'd never call Sprint's network "crappy". I may not like the experience of the network while it is connected to PCS, but in the areas where Sprint has great band 41 coverage, the network is very good, and certainly doesn't deserve to be insulted so immaturily as being called names like that.

• Like 1

Sprint has alot to do. I've been driving from MN they multiple States and am now on 10 East in Florida. Way to many drops to 3G. Lack of B41 also stinks. 10 East goes from 3G to G block only B25.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Whats the point of LTE on Airave? If you already have Wifi, why do you need your home data turned into LTE?

e/CSFB

AJ

• Like 1

12d562c97f1a4a3af528c762dbe344b9.jpg

Cellphone subscribers dropping Verizon; company’s profit sinks bit.ly/2ouC4VJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Nasty numbers. Ouch!

Verizon post-paid churn up y/y for 4th consecutive qtr. 1.15% vs 0.96% last year.

Verizon wireless service revenue declined 6.5% in Q1, its 9th consecutive quarter of y/y declines

Record post-paid phone sub losses for Verizon @ -289k in Q1. Prior high was Q1-2015 @ -138k

• Like 6

Yikes. Remember how everyone thought VZW announcing unlimited again would kill Sprint and T-Mobile? Well it seems like Sprint and T-Mobile were actually destroying VZW and this was reactionary to help offset the losses they were seeing.

• Like 9

VERIZON'S PROFIT SINKS AS IT LOSES WIRELESS SUBSCRIBERS

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EARNS_VERIZON_COMMUNICATIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-20-09-04-40

Verizon losing wireless subscribers? Reason for lowering prices bringing back unlimited. Interesting. AP cites Sprint and T-Mobile as reasons. Maybe four providers is necessary to keep competition strong?

Here's the thing about Verizon...they should have been proactive on lowering prices and unlimited instead of reactive. If they had instituted a strong competitive stance before Tmo really started deploying B12 and before Sprint started with B41, they would have been in a much better position to steal customers. Heck, if done in the right way at that time, they could have put Sprint out of business and Tmo knocked back on his heels.

They decided to keep profits as high as possible for as long as possible. Well, there is a cost for that. We will see how this plays out. Verizon still is in a very good position, of course. But the foundation's not as strong as it used to be. And the water is rising all around.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 14

I thought I was going to be the first to post about Verizon. While I was typing, others posted. You gotta be fast around here! :hah:

• Like 10

I thought I was going to be the first to post about Verizon. While I was typing, others posted. You gotta be fast around here! :hah:

Snooze u lose and go find me some small cell information for Columbus.....

[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes. Remember how everyone thought VZW announcing unlimited again would kill Sprint and T-Mobile? Well it seems like Sprint and T-Mobile were actually destroying VZW and this was reactionary to help offset the losses they were seeing.

I read somewhere that they were on course to lose nearly 1 million subs this quarter and this slowed the bleeding. Don't know how accurate that statement is.

Verizon had to bring back unlimited in February because it was on a nosedive trajectory for the quarter....

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizons-unlimited-data-turnabout-pays-off-t-mobile-sprint/

Verizon said Thursday that it lost 289,000 phone customers in the first quarter, the worst quarter in terms of subscriber growth But it could have been much, much worse. Prior to the launch of its unlimited plan, the carrier had already lost 398,000 phone customers in the period, and the company credited the new plan with bringing about a reversal of its trajectory.

"The customer response to the launch was favorable as evidenced by an immediate improvement in subscriber activity in the second half of the quarter," Chief Financial Officer Matt Ellis said on a conference call with analysts.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that they were on course to lose nearly 1 million subs this quarter and this slowed the bleeding. Don't know how accurate that statement is.

Not necessarily a million...

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-1q-results-highlighted-strong-wireless-customer-loyalty-network-investment-and-growth

• The launch of Verizon Unlimited positively changed the trajectory of customer additions in the quarter. A net decline of 307,000 retail postpaid connections in first-quarter 2017 included 289,000 phone losses. Prior to the launch in mid-February, Verizon had a retail postpaid phone net loss of 398,000; after the launch, Verizon added 109,000 retail postpaid phone connections. For the entire quarter, Verizon added a net of 49,000 smartphones to its retail postpaid phone base.

Verizon was in huge trouble this past quarter. 398K/Quarter Annualized would be 4.776M customers for the year if the rate was sustained.

• Like 1

Not necessarily a million...

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-1q-results-highlighted-strong-wireless-customer-loyalty-network-investment-and-growth

Verizon was in huge trouble this past quarter. 398K/Quarter Annualized would be 4.776M customers for the year if the rate was sustained.

So basically, they were gonna end up with nearly 800k losses at that rate. WOW!

• Like 1

So basically, they were gonna end up with nearly 800k losses at that rate. WOW!

It's certainly possible! Verizon had to do something to reverse it... because that would have been approaching rate levels of customer loss that Sprint experienced during Network Vision.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/former-sprint-ceo-hesse-unexpected-disruption-from-network-vision-was-very-painful-to-me

Hesse said 2013 to 2014 was particularly difficult. During all of 2013 and the first two quarters of 2014, Sprint lost slightly more than 3 million customers. Many of those were Nextel customers (the iDEN network was shut off in mid-2013), but during that period Sprint also lost 361,000 net customers on its "Sprint platform" of CDMA and LTE networks. "Ripping out of the network degraded the customer experience more than we, or our vendors, suppliers, consultants, anyone envisioned," Hesse said.

So as you said, Verizon was on track for 800k of losses in a quarter if that rate/pace was sustained.

On another point, reading more into that article, Hesse really fell on his sword.... actually, it seems he was pushed onto it.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I would have stuck with Sprint if I did not have FiOS. The deal with FiOS (additional $10 off each service) actually kept our costs down compared to what Sprint was offering long time customers. If Sprint continues to aggressively roll out small cells and keeps prices down, then I'll be back before you know it (still have an iPad on Sprint). That being said there are definitely pros and cons to both networks. The obvious one is the Verizon LTE network is a lot more consistent everywhere I go (rarely see DL speeds below 15Mbps), however, Sprint is catching up quick in major metro areas. Also, voLTE is great to have when using the phone for business. It is great to be able to talk and receive iMessages and WhatsApp messages at the same time, as well as get emails during a business call in which documents are being sent.

That being said, the difference between voice quality between Verizon voLTE and Sprint 1x voice is not as big as I thought it would be, and in areas with below average signal, the Sprint voice network provides a better experience than Verizon voLTE (both CDMA networks are similar). One thing I do love is the seamless voLTE to voWiFi handoffs and vice versa on Verizon.

Bottom line: we live in exciting times and I certainly think TMUS and S have a lot of potential to go higher all things considered. I was truly shocked that even FiOS lost subscribers, but cord cutters are definitely having an impact.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I would have stuck with Sprint if I did not have FiOS. The deal with FiOS (additional $10 off each service) actually kept our costs down compared to what Sprint was offering long time customers. If Sprint continues to aggressively roll out small cells and keeps prices down, then I'll be back before you know it (still have an iPad on Sprint). That being said there are definitely pros and cons to both networks. The obvious one is the Verizon LTE network is a lot more consistent everywhere I go (rarely see DL speeds below 15Mbps), however, Sprint is catching up quick in major metro areas. Also, voLTE is great to have when using the phone for business. It is great to be able to talk and receive iMessages and WhatsApp messages at the same time, as well as get emails during a business call in which documents are being sent.

That being said, the difference between voice quality between Verizon voLTE and Sprint 1x voice is not as big as I thought it would be, and in areas with below average signal, the Sprint voice network provides a better experience than Verizon voLTE (both CDMA networks are similar). One thing I do love is the seamless voLTE to voWiFi handoffs and vice versa on Verizon.

Bottom line: we live in exciting times and I certainly think TMUS and S have a lot of potential to go higher all things considered. I was truly shocked that even FiOS lost subscribers, but cord cutters are definitely having an impact.

Which iPad do you have? Apple has been inconsistent about supporting carrier aggregation on its iPads and so it's not the true measure of Sprint's best network performance.

Have a look at the iPad Pro for example: https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

The iPad Pro 12.9 inch doesn't support LTE Advanced, which means no 2CA support on Sprint as I understand it. It also doesn't even support Band 12 or Band 30. As Apple says: 20 LTE Bands, up to 150 Mbps via LTE.

The iPad Pro 9.7 inch supports LTE Advanced, which means 2CA support on Sprint. It supports Band 12 and Band 30. As Apple says: 23 LTE Bands, up to 300 Mbps via LTE Advanced.

vs.

iPhone 7:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-7/

Up to 25 Bands

Up to 450 Mbps.

3x Faster LTE than iPhone 6...

It supports 3CA on Sprint, but not HPUE.

Which tells you that the iPad Pro 12.9 inch has the Modem from the iPhone 6 and the iPad Pro 9.7 inch has the modem from the iPhone 6s.... which is further confirmed by this: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/, which says 300 Mbps for the iPhone 6s.

This is just Apple being cheap with the Modems they use, so it's not a fair measure of the full potential of Sprint's network with 3CA (and now HPUE). iPads are always further behind the curve than iPhones. iPads essentially get last year's (or even older) modems.

We'll see if the next generation of iPads has support for 3CA or HPUE on Sprint. Perhaps 3CA if the modem from the iPhone 7 (or an equivalent) is used. I wouldn't bet on HPUE though. We'll be lucky to see HPUE in the next iPhone this year.

If Apple does right by Sprint this year on the iPhone, we'll see massive adoption of HPUE, which bodes well for Sprint's customer numbers.

Of course, it's up to Sprint to throw the switch for VoLTE.

Which iPad do you have?

I have the iPad Pro 9.7 inch. I love the embedded Apple SIM and changing carriers is super easy. I just wish it was this easy with phones. Maybe one day we will get there. While the iPads always tend to be a bit behind on the modems, I do find they have better reception. I do not know what to attribute this to.

I have the iPad Pro 9.7 inch. I love the embedded Apple SIM and changing carriers is super easy. I just wish it was this easy with phones. Maybe one day we will get there. While the iPads always tend to be a bit behind on the modems, I do find they have better reception. I do not know what to attribute this to.

So that's about as well as you can do on an iPad on Sprint. Sprint is a participating carrier in Apple SIM. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for the iPhone.

I imagine the super long term goal for Apple is to remove the SIM Card slot on the phone altogether and have all carriers participate. Apple already got rid of the headphone jack. Either the charging port (for true wireless charging) or the SIM Card slot is next on the list.

Perhaps the iPads have better reception due to more space for the antennas and a more robust design? Just taking an initial guess. I'll gladly defer to someone else on this!  :)

You've got to respect Sprint for being at the forefront on RCS, Apple SIM, etc.

I just wish they handled the business processes better so that more money would be available for CapEx.