Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Verizon's more occupied with deploying 4 sector, 8 antenna, 20 (B2/4/66/5/13) radio sites which will make a more significant impact for them than 600 MHz. 

ATT and Verizon has not really tapped into their extensive 850 CLR holdings yet. 

I know.  Verizon and AT&T definitely still got the 850 MHz which is good for at least a 10x10 LTE carrier to deploy which will keep them on par with the low band holdings.  Its clear that Verizon and AT&T didn't care much about the 600 MHz auction which totally makes sense.  Focusing on improving the efficiency of LTE deployment with higher order MIMO should be the focus of AT&T and Verizon.

The thing is that Tmobile, Verizon and AT&T all have different goals right now as a company.  Tmobile went hard with 600 MHz because they really needed to compete on expanding its native footprint to try to compete with the big 2 since they know that is still a pain point for those in rural areas that want to switch but have no Tmobile coverage and this is their first steps in trying to address this issue.  Verizon and AT&T are focusing on deploying new techniques to further improve efficiency of LTE.

Has Band 71 (600mhz) been formally approved by 3GPP yet? I'd assume manufacturers are already working on equipment, but I don't believe the most recent flagships have that right radio built in.....

Verizon's more occupied with deploying 4 sector, 8 antenna, 20 (B2/4/66/5/13) radio sites which will make a more significant impact for them than 600 MHz.

ATT and Verizon has not really tapped into their extensive 850 CLR holdings yet.

Speaking of the Cellular band, I'm surprised the FCC has allowed At&t to control 50 MHz of Cellular spectrum, 20 mhz of 700 spectrum, and now 30 MHz of 600 spectrum in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

That's 100 MHz of low band spectrum for At&t in their home market of Dallas! That's too much.

• Like 1

This is Fairfax County Virginia frequencies.

854.1375854.2625854.2875855.2625855.3875855.9625855.9875 856.2625c856.5375856.9125857.0125857.2625a857.5625858.2625a 858.5375858.6125859.2625a859.5375859.6375860.2625

City of Alexandria Virginia frequencies 856.8375c857.8375a858.8375a859.8375a855.9125854.4875853.7375855.5125 851.975855.5625851.950

System Talkgroups

Now subtract 45 mhz for repeater splits.

Now take 860 to 869 mhz out of the equation because that belongs to Sprint - 45mhz as well. Now figured out how much available spectrum that Verizon and AT&T have in 800mhz - Sprint and public safety frequencies and your going to find out it isn't that much.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I disagree. Sprint has way more spectrum that they can deploy so they do not need anymore. The problem with Sprint is execution and really needing to deploy their spectrum. I think Sprint and Comcast makes more sense to get easier access to fiber and perhaps that will help Sprint deploy their B41 LTE network faster to not only the macro sites but to their small cell deployment plan.

Tmobile and Dish make sense because Tmobile needs more spectrum and they can help Dish deploy their spectrum since Tmobile has had a good track record of making use of their spectrum. Just look at the B12 deployment in the past 2 years and that is also with having to deal with Ch. 51 interference issues.

Sprint wouldn't get fiber nation wide and can rent fiber. It needs low band spectrum if it is going to compete nation wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint wouldn't get fiber nation wide and can rent fiber. It needs low band spectrum if it is going to compete nation wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really.  According to John Saw, 2.5 GHz is the new low band frequency for 5G and you can see that Sprint is clearly focusing on deploying Massive MIMO and deploying 3xCA, 4xCA, etc LTE with its demos. Sprint doesn't even care about the 600 Mhz spectrum and even the CFO Tarek called the 600 MHz spectrum as "outdated".  Why would you hold out any hope that Sprint cares at all about the 600 MHz?  If Sprint can deploy a ton of small cells with B25 and B41 LTE it is like getting low band spectrum coverage.  That to me is still a very solid strategy that all carriers need to adopt.

Face it, Sprint is not going to commit to 600 MHz deployment anyways meaning they won't want to buy the cell tower equipment to deploy it even if they had any.  If anything, I see Sprint only adding B71 support to allow its CCA partners to take advantage of that LTE band.

• Like 1

Has Band 71 (600mhz) been formally approved by 3GPP yet? I'd assume manufacturers are already working on equipment, but I don't believe the most recent flagships have that right radio built in.....

No.  The earliest B71 can be approved by the 3GPP is September 2017 because the OEMs are currently doing field tests with test equipment for the 600 MHz band..  It is being put on the docket for 3GPP band approval in September 2017.

I wanna know how you can sit behind a computer bullying people.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Huh? Bully? Im saying your statement is wrong. What does it have to do with bullying. Be prepared to be critiqued if you're willing to speak.

Speaking of the Cellular band, I'm surprised the FCC has allowed At&t to control 50 MHz of Cellular spectrum, 20 mhz of 700 spectrum, and now 30 MHz of 600 spectrum in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

That's 100 MHz of low band spectrum for At&t in their home market of Dallas! That's too much.

Thanks, W. Bush.

AJ

• Like 1

Still waiting for the OTA My Sprint update on my S7.

It's gradually rolling out to devices.

This is a huge change for Sprint, and it's going to affect nearly the entire user base. Sprint needs to do this carefully and in stages to prevent a problem.

To note, T mobile seemed to be the only notable carrier that got the spectrum. This might make it hard for them to procure phones with that boutique band. Especially since it's not going to be a band used worldwide.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I feel like this quote from The Verge pretty much sums up my thoughts about this. I absolutely think this is a good thing but I also think that people are overestimating the impact of this on the other carriers. It's great for T-Mobile but it isn't bad for Sprint, VZW, or AT&T.

But T-Mobile can’t just flip a switch tomorrow and improve its network. The spectrum it purchased is currently being used by TV broadcasters, and it could take until early 2020 for all of it to open up.

On top of that, current phones don’t support 600MHz wireless. Qualcomm, the biggest provider of cellphone modems, is readying new chips to support it. But it still means that there’s going to be a several-year period for these new airwaves to be phased in and for T-Mobile subscribers to gain access to it.

Making this timing all the more pressing for T-Mobile is the fact that 5G is supposed to start rolling out in 2020. That’ll start a new wireless battle right as T-Mobile is catching up to the last one.

• Like 4

To note, T mobile seemed to be the only notable carrier that got the spectrum. This might make it hard for them to procure phones with that boutique band. Especially since it's not going to be a band used worldwide.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Good point on this.

That's what Sprint's main point about 2.5 GHz is: That there's a well-established global ecosystem already behind it.

I feel like this quote from The Verge pretty much sums up my thoughts about this. I absolutely think this is a good thing but I also think that people are overestimating the impact of this on the other carriers. It's great for T-Mobile but it isn't bad for Sprint, VZW, or AT&T.

"Making this timing all the more pressing for T-Mobile is the fact that 5G is supposed to start rolling out in 2020. That’ll start a new wireless battle right as T-Mobile is catching up to the last one."

This is what the Sprint CFO was saying....

It doesn't hurt At&t or Verizon because they already have low band spectrum. It hurts Sprint as they only have 14 MHz of low band spectrum and have no way of acquiring more (unless they do what T-Mobile did and buy spectrum off of Comcast or dish). Low band is needed to provide solid indoor service everywhere. There's just no way of getting around that. Sprint's current small cells don't go indoors very well.

It doesn't hurt At&t or Verizon because they already have low band spectrum. It hurts Sprint as they only have 14 MHz of low band spectrum and have no way of acquiring more (unless they do what T-Mobile did and buy spectrum off of Comcast or dish). Low band is needed to provide solid indoor service everywhere. There's just no way of getting around that. Sprint's current small cells don't go indoors very well.

Solid indoor coverage everywhere, yet there are still people in markets throughout the country that have 700MHz still complaining about lack of indoor coverage. This gives them a huge capacity boost, but it isn't a magic bullet that'll make any carrier scared. There's also an overestimation of the propagation characteristics of 600MHz as if it'll be vastly better than anything else. As it stands 700MHz isn't much better than 800MHz and I'd be willing to bet that 600MHz would only be a small amount better than 700MHz.

All I'm saying is, is that every carrier has plans going forward. AT&T and VZW still have spectrum to tap into and Sprint is working on densification with small cells and mini macros so Sprint doesn't need to worry about anyone's spectrum position.

• Like 1

tmobile bought this not for capacity, but to match Verizon 2+ millions per square miles coverage. Regardless watch Verizon buying Dish now. Tmobile doesn't have more cash for more  acquisitions, they bet their future on 600mhz.

• Like 1

tmobile bought this not for capacity, but to match Verizon 2+ millions per square miles coverage. Regardless watch Verizon buying Dish now. Tmobile doesn't have more cash for more  acquisitions, they bet their future on 600mhz.

Either T-Mobile is right about low band spectrum or Sprint is right about high band spectrum.