Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

HPUE = High Power (HP) User Equipment (UE) 

I understand now all in the user end. So nothing needs to be done on Sprint's end. Sorry for the confusion, going through a week of back pain from an injury. Hopefully the next iPhone will also support it and hopefully it really helps with B25/26 congestion. 

Please list the markets that are tracked and <25%. The only ones I can think of are West PA(tracked-0),South Carolina(untracked-0), and Jacksonville(semi-tracked-12 or 3% but lots of Clearwire). Most markets are greater than 25% even Delaware that was complained about a few post up is only short by 6 sites of 25% and that is without half the data in Wilmington a major city in DE being tracked. 

Three out of three of the ones that I track:

• New Orleans
  • [Greater] Louisiana
  • East Texas

The [Greater] Louisiana and East Texas markets have two B41 installations each, all of which are mini macros added to existing NV sites within the last 2-3 months. The New Orleans market has about 55 out of about 350 total NV sites, 7 of which are again mini macros added recently. There are a handful more mini macro installations scheduled, but all of them are "local asks" by regional managers and aren't part of any meaningful rollout.

I hope somebody is forced to go back and fix the sloppy install.  Look at the wiring blowing in the wind going down toward the bottom of the pole.

Pretty sure that install was in progress in that shot..

I understand now all in the user end. So nothing needs to be done on Sprint's end. Sorry for the confusion, going through a week of back pain from an injury. Hopefully the next iPhone will also support it and hopefully it really helps with B25/26 congestion.

Hopefully Apple supports it this year. Sprint's "iPhone Forever" program means it can quickly deploy HPUE-capable iPhones into the userbase with annual upgrades.

• Like 2

Could that just be a repeater for microwave backhaul? Doubt they would place two small cells that close unless it is two different carriers in the area deploying small cells.

Nope. These are two Airspan Airharmony 4000 Mini Macro B41 small cells with Nokia Dual band LTE UE Relays.

Small cells are meant to be deployed in such density to increase coverage (RF shadows and the like) and capacity (lots of people in the area split between two cells instead of 1).

See: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7561-band-26-41-small-cells-airspan/

• Like 3

I was thinking markets not states and I still view Myrtle Beach market as a NC market because it goes clear to New Bern, NC. I knew of your one site but wouldn't it be 2 since you have a seasonal cow at the beach.

My point is that the vast majority of sprint markets have more B41 sites than Shentel even if you through in SC/GA coast and the southern states of Ark, Miss, and AL. But Shentel is looked at as the genius at deployment while their deployment is just as slow (and slower on the national since sprint is focusing on the big cities most) and does not include more than 2xCA.

Facts, the folks sure say it is slow going there; heavier in shentel markets by quite a lead. It has been dead here obviously but they are still producing, as any metro thread will echo your point.

The COW was on for just over a week so that I interpreted as the best irl shitpost Sprint has given me to date. Most likely testing as it will be a small cell soon.

I wonder how many of the NIMBY people complain about the speed/coverage in that location at the same time.

Perhaps they think wireless coverage is based on having a sufficient number of unicorns and amount of pixie dust.

I know if I owned a home with sufficient yard acreage space and a wireless company wanted to build a site on my land, I'd take the deal! I've known people offered over a thousand dollars monthly on land leasing for these, plus get an excellent signal do close, its a definite yes on that for me, again if I could.

HPUE and HPUE-capable devices (like the upcoming LG G6, and presumably the Samsung Galaxy S8) will help to make this possible.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/breakthrough-hpue-innovation-to-benefit-tdd-lte-networks-worldwide.htm

Yes HPUE will help but once again the customer needs to upgrade devices to get a better and more consistent experience.  I would rather see Sprint add 2.5 to every macro site, not only would HPUE benefit but customers with older tri-band devices experience more consistent data speeds.  

• Like 5

Yes HPUE will help but once again the customer needs to upgrade devices to get a better and more consistent experience. I would rather see Sprint add 2.5 to every macro site, not only would HPUE benefit but customers with older tri-band devices experience more consistent data speeds.

Admittedly I'm being lazy here...

Will hpue require hardware upgrades on the towers? Or hopefully pure software updates?

And the G6 has it built in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will hpue require hardware upgrades on the towers? Or hopefully pure software updates?

It will require nothing at the tower.

HPUE is just a higher powered radio in a phone so it will require a new phone that supports HPUE.

• Like 2

It will require nothing at the tower.

HPUE is just a higher powered radio in a phone so it will require a new phone that supports HPUE.

I knew it required new handsets -- just assumed it needed tower enhancements too.

So this should help anywhere with b41 correct.

Essentially HPUE is just an increase of 3 dBm transmit power allowed from the handset to the cell towers from 23 dBm to 26 dBm. The higher transmit power translates to the signal travelling further thus "increasing" coverage which is the pitch. It is also a power class change from class 3 to class 2.

The reason why they are allowed to do that is because the 2.5 spectrum has not been ever been used for 2G/3G applications like GSM, CDMA, UTMS, HSPA, EVDO, iDEN. Therefore there is no interference with transmitting at a higher power that would conflict with 3G applications unlike other spectrum bands like PCS, ESMR, AWS, Cellular which has been used for 3G application and are limited to a max of 23 dBm transmit power.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Essentially HPUE is just an increase of 3 dBm transmit power allowed from the handset to the cell towers from 23 dBm to 26 dBm. The higher transmit power translates to the signal travelling further thus "increasing" coverage which is the pitch. It is also a power class change from class 3 to class 2.

The reason why they are allowed to do that is because the 2.5 spectrum has not been ever been used for 3G applications like CDMA, GSM, UTMS, iDEN. Therefore there is no interference with transmitting at a higher power that would conflict with 3G applications unlike other spectrum bands like PCS, ESMR, AWS, Cellular which has been used for 3G application and are limited to a max of 23 dBm transmit power.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So I am wondering what effect this could have on battery life. 

So I am wondering what effect this could have on battery life. 

They have stated multiple times, very little to none, since you now have a stronger signal to B41, and will essentially require less time on LTE.

• Like 5

They have stated multiple times, very little to none, since you now have a stronger signal to B41, and will essentially require less time on LTE.

"Though HPUE requires more powerful amplifiers, Sprint claims that it should have minimal impact on battery life because mobile devices will not need to be switching LTE bands as often."

It sounds really cool and like it will work well in the areas with a good distribution of B41. 

Now hopefully Sprint will offer deals to existing customers for the newer HPUE devices...

They have to realize going to another carrier is a consideration not only for plan price but deals on phones, too.

Now hopefully Sprint will offer deals to existing customers for the newer HPUE devices...

They have to realize going to another carrier is a consideration not only for plan price but deals on phones, too.

I think the bigger issue here is that many people are really starting to slow down with upgrades. It was in the Wall Street Journal last year (https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-keep-their-cellphones-longer-1461007321) and I think the trend will continue. Besides the number of us "technophiles", people are beginning to keep their phones as long as it does what they need it to do. For the most part that is email, music, web browsing, streaming, and some light gaming. I firmly believe that if you can afford to own your device, you should definitely do so. It super easy now to "shop" around to get the best prices, coverage, etc. If you can hang onto a device for 3 years with great coverage, you are definitely saving money now when compared to the old contract based pricing. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people are not as literate with technology and end up being burned. I just read on Reddit about a guy who bought an iPhone 6s from Apple through their installment program and he was using it on Verizon. He switched to Sprint and claimed Sprint gave him a 'free' iPhone 7 when he cancelled Verizon (he has to turn in the old iPhone). Long story short, the phone was not from Verizon, but Apple, so it is ineligible for the refund. He simply should have just inserted the Sprint SIM into the unlocked iPhone 6s and boom Sprint service. This stuff bothers me because people blame the carriers, when in actuality it is their fault.

• Like 1