Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Let's face it. You and I know the network is only better in calls and text. Marcelo never had any intention to make the network deliver the data speed people expect. Doesn't matter. If Marcelo had done his job with the network, then customers wouldn't flock to join other carriers as soon as they all have Unlimited at comparable price points. Let's see what happens in the next several weeks. The proof is in the pudding. The excuses don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint's network is better and faster data wise in the past 18 months. There was very little B41 except Clearwire back then. Sprint 8T8R development, Clearwire upgrades to 8T8R, 2xCA, 3xCA and all hit the streets almost all after Marcelo came on board. So you can't say data has not improved under Marcelo. It's been a huge improvement since then. Not far enough for you, fine. But the improvement is not limited to calls and texts.

Don't get me wrong, I want more too. I would love to see capex grow much higher. I would like to see Masa throw some more dough at it. But to say it has not improved under Marcelo is not accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Let's face it. You and I know the network is only better in calls and text.

You have to give it to Sprint; calls and texts are very reliable. I have not had a dropped call when calling a land line or another Sprint user since NV swept through my area. The only time I have had calls drop or produce weird noises is when I'm calling T-Mobile or At&t users, but that's usually on them.

I'm currently debating on either buying out my ETF or waiting for Sprint to counter with their next move (i.e merger). I called Sprint to see if they could reduce my bill by either changing plans or offering loyalty credits but they said NO. I just can't believe that if I want to lower my bill, I have to port out to At&t or Verizon! Who would have though those words would ever be uttered??

The worst part about this is that if Sprint still offered 2 year agreements, I wouldn't even contemplate leaving.????

• Like 3

Sprint's network is better and faster data wise in the past 18 months. There was very little B41 except Clearwire back then. Sprint 8T8R development, Clearwire upgrades to 8T8R, 2xCA, 3xCA and all hit the streets almost all after Marcelo came on board. So you can't say data has not improved under Marcelo. It's been a huge improvement since then. Not far enough for you, fine. But the improvement is not limited to calls and texts.

Some victories are pyrrhic in nature. If the improvement that you're referring to is relevant then Sprint customers wouldn't be fleeing in the weeks to come. We'll see soon enough.

• Like 1

You have to give it to Sprint; calls and texts are very reliable. I have not had a dropped call when calling a land line or another Sprint user since NV swept through my area. The only time I have had calls drop or produce weird noises is when I'm calling T-Mobile or At&t users, but that's usually on them.

I'm currently debating on either buying out my ETF or waiting for Sprint to counter with their next move (i.e merger). I called Sprint to see if they could reduce my bill by either changing plans or offering loyalty credits but they said NO. I just can't believe that if I want to lower my bill, I have to port out to At&t or Verizon! Who would have though those words would ever be uttered??

The worst part about this is that if Sprint still offered 2 year agreements, I wouldn't even contemplate leaving.[emoji19]

Part of me believes that Verizon has been plotting this Unlimited all along and waited until Sprint eliminated contracts to launch it with maximum impact at their most vulnerable moment. But then I can't figure out why they didn't launch it at Super Bowl.

• Like 3

Some victories are pyrrhic in nature. If the improvement that you're referring to is relevant then Sprint customers wouldn't be fleeing in the weeks to come. We'll see soon enough.

If Sprint customers flee it is because Marcelo and Masa chose not to go to an extreme value position. Not because Dan Hesse didn't stay CEO.

I think Sprint should offer its latest pricing to existing customers. I think they are making a big mistake there, so far. And if millions leave, the Sprint network will improve just from their departure. Could be a silver lining for data performance. [emoji14]

• Like 4

Part of me believes that Verizon has been plotting this Unlimited all along and waited until Sprint eliminated contracts to launch it with maximum impact at their most vulnerable moment. But then I can't figure out why they didn't launch it at Super Bowl.

Verizon has had this as a nuclear option likely for a long time. They wanted to maintain profits as long as possible and protect their network as long as possible and only employ it at a strategic time. When necessary due to churn or when it can inflict the most damage on competition.

Verizon may be doing this specifically to push Sprint into a merger. Verizon would much rather have two competitors than three. Then they can off unlimited again at some point and raise prices when their competitors will have less reason to compete.

Whatever Verizon is up to, it's not charity. It's strategic. And it may cost them more money up front, but for them there is a long term payoff. At least they're planning on it. But the Saudis tried that with oil too.

And good for Verizon. That's how a free market works. In this case consumers win. And if Sprint can up its game instead of focus only on merger, then maybe the consumers can win even more. And for a longer term.

But make no mistake. Consolidation to three will only raise prices in the long run. I don't think the sky will fall with three. But four will keep the competition churning out a new value position every 6-12 months.

• Like 6

Its great that Sprint finally decided to match Tmobile's and Verizon's offer of the 10 GB of high speed hotspot tether and HD video streaming by default.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-best-unlimited-hd-plan-ever.htm

However there are still 2 issues which still do not solve Sprint's problem.

1) Are the folks who signed up for the 5 lines/$90 promo before Fri, 2/17 going to get an automatic upgrades to the HD video streaming and increased high speed hotspot tether from 5 GB --> 10 GB?

Its not clear from the press release if this is true. Hopefully Sprint is smart enough to automatically upgrade all Freedom Unlimited customers since the introduction of this plan to the HD video streaming and 10 GB hotspot tether beginning Fri, 2/17.

2) The 5 lines/$90 promo is NOT available to current customers. I still see a ton of Sprint customers porting out to other carriers simply because of no offers being given to loyal customers. Need to make this offer available to all customers so they can simplify their billing system and give them a reason to want to sign up for the Freedom Unlimited plan. Hell Sprint can even make it a limited offer starting Friday, 2/17 where for a limited time current customers can take advantage of this same offer as new customers to just stop the initial port out bleeding.

Yes anyone on this plan since it came out on 2/10 is getting migrated over to the hd and 10gb hotapot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went to the Verizon store yesterday to get a break down of my bill if I were to switch over with two lines.

Here is the breakdown:

- $100 for 2 lines unlimited talk/text/data (HD)/10 gigs hotspot tether

- $  20 X 2 lines access fee = $40

- $140 Total...............

The phone trade in for both phones would allow us to get the same 2 phones we have now (LG V20 & S7 Edge) for free. They said that you would get a credit every month for both phones on your bill for 24 months. So it would show the phone payment and credit zeroing it out for 24 months.

The only thing we would be on the hook for would be the remainder of the bal for both phones on Sprint after the port out.

So the total bill would be $140 + taxes & fees...........now if we want different phones then I'm sure that promo goes away and we would have to pay monthly payments on new phones if we went that route down the road?

They did say that the credits for the 2 phones would not appear until the 3rd billing cycle then they would be retroactive from month one basically making the third months bill almost a wash with all of the back credits. Then starting month 4 the bill would be the $140 + taxes & fees

We are currently on the 25 gig promo $50 + $15 X 2 lines access fee = $80 month + 2 phone payments + taxes & fees = about $147 month currently with Sprint. That promo does end next March along with the current unlimited freedom promo, so then at that point we would be paying more or switching to the current plan that Sprint has next year that best fits our needs?

Decisions...... :unsure:

Edited by MileHI38

If Sprint customers flee it is because Marcelo and Masa chose not to go to an extreme value position. Not because Dan Hesse didn't stay CEO.

I think Sprint should offer its latest pricing to existing customers. I think they are making a big mistake there, so far. And if millions leave, the Sprint network will improve just from their departure. Could be a silver lining for data performance. [emoji14]

I know we're having a level-headed discussion and I appreciate it. If Marcelo had delivered even half of his promises on network they wouldn't have to do extreme discounts just to avoid massive defections to Verizon. He's been the CEO for 2.5 years and to rest laurels on the Pyrrhic victory of "network has improved a lot from its nightmarish state" is just unacceptable.

Let me remind you that they still haven't deployed 8T8R on at least a quarter of their macro sites and they have only deployed less than 1000 small cells. That's a far cry from his explicit and implicit promise.

• Like 1

Verizon has had this as a nuclear option likely for a long time. They wanted to maintain profits as long as possible and protect their network as long as possible and only employ it at a strategic time. When necessary due to churn or when it can inflict the most damage on competition.

Verizon may be doing this specifically to push Sprint into a merger. Verizon would much rather have two competitors than three. Then they can off unlimited again at some point and raise prices when their competitors will have less reason to compete.

Whatever Verizon is up to, it's not charity. It's strategic. And it may cost them more money up front, but for them there is a long term payoff. At least they're planning on it. But the Saudis tried that with oil too.

And good for Verizon. That's how a free market works. In this case consumers win. And if Sprint can up its game instead of focus only on merger, then maybe the consumers can win even more. And for a longer term.

But make no mistake. Consolidation to three will only raise prices in the long run. I don't think the sky will fall with three. But four will keep the competition churning out a new value position every 6-12 months.

If the choice is between three really solid networks at slightly higher prices or four choices with two networks that are ok and 2 solid networks, I think market is saying they would rather have three.

I mean, imagine a company that has the CAPEX that can put all of sprint's assets in play. That is a carrier I would pay a premium to be on. Sprint will not be that company in a four player market.

• Like 2

If the choice is between three really solid networks at slightly higher prices or four choices with two networks that are ok and 2 solid networks, I think market is saying they would rather have three.

I mean, imagine a company that has the CAPEX that can put all of sprint's assets in play. That is a carrier I would pay a premium to be on. Sprint will not be that company in a four player market.

Maybe. I can imagine a lot of things. But I worry that Sprint is betting everything on the line on a merger. But a deal takes 2 to tango. If by some twist of fate the other side doesn't want to play ball then god help them.

• Like 1

Maybe. I can imagine a lot of things. But I worry that Sprint is betting everything on the line on a merger. But a deal takes 2 to tango. If by some twist of fate the other side doesn't want to play ball then god help them.

I'm thinking SoftBank already has a buyer. No merger. Sorry -- just my hunch.

• Like 4

Would Sprint have had the CapEx/know how to integrate MetroPCS or would it have turned out like the Nextel acquisition?

What would have been invoked in a MetroPCS acquisition and integration?

Actually I'm not sure. I think it would have been an easier integration than the Nextel one, as MetroPCS was on CDMA when the T-Mobile merger was with it. It certainly would have been an easier integration than one between Sprint and T-Mobile. Although as far as I know, the big benefit would have been getting it before T-Mobile did, as MetroPCS had some good spectrum assets.

• Like 1

Yeah, that would have been an even bigger announcement at SuperBowl. I agree Verizon ought to have announced it then.

Let me remind you that they still haven't deployed 8T8R on at least a quarter of their macro sites and they have only deployed less than 1000 small cells. That's a far cry from his explicit and implicit promise.

Where are you coming up with these numbers? I do not think those are correct. 

Certainly they need more B41 deployed, but I am very certain they have more than that deployed right now. 

• Like 2

Yeah, that would have been an even bigger announcement at SuperBowl. I agree Verizon ought to have announced it then.

It's probably a direct response to being roasted over their $55 5GB plan.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes anyone on this plan since it came out on 2/10 is getting migrated over to the hd and 10gb hotapot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.  Yeah but unfortunately this is not good enough.  Why isn't Sprint upgrading ALL customers who signed up from Unlimited Freedom since August 2016 to the new plan?  Tmobile is upgrading all of its One plan customers from the beginning to the HD video streaming and 10 GB hotspot tether.  

Its already bad enough that existing customers who are not on Unlimited Freedom can't take advantage of this offer but Sprint is totally ignoring the early adopter customers of Unlimited Freedom too.  That is just bad business.

• Like 1

Just two weeks ago Sprint was roasting Verizon, now Sprint is roasting it's current customers.   :angry:

• Like 2

I know we're having a level-headed discussion and I appreciate it. If Marcelo had delivered even half of his promises on network they wouldn't have to do extreme discounts just to avoid massive defections to Verizon. He's been the CEO for 2.5 years and to rest laurels on the Pyrrhic victory of "network has improved a lot from its nightmarish state" is just unacceptable.

Amazing what happens when you have to pay back a huge chuck of debt in 2016 and 2017.

• Like 2

Wait is someone really saying less then 1/4 of sprint macro sites (~40,000) don't have 8t8r?

More than 5000 were deployed in the initial wave of 2013-2014 and deployment continued rapidly well into 2015 before it was halted en mass at the end of 2015 when Marcelo began his cost cutting.

Approximately a tad over half of sprints total LTE sites have 8t8r now and that number is increasing every day thanks to renew Capex expenditures at the later half of 2016 which included small cell orders, new B41 macro site colocation using mini macros (hello the previously undeployed southern states), adoption of DAS Node usage, and bringing GMO/ non LTE sites in house as high priority sites targeted for LTE activation.

Stuff is happening and did happen. To say otherwise is just rubbish. No one is happy about the what $60,000,000 (yes, that little, they knew exactly how much they were going to spend last year from the get go) they spent on network expansion for the entirety of 2016 but it is what it was and so be it but to say they're doing nothing now is rubbish and there's proof from multiple regions across multiple vendors all across the country.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 10

It seems that Verizon's $55 for 5gb plan gets quite a bit of negative publicity. I'll admit that it isn't a great deal, but for Verizon prior to the Unlimited Data plan announcement, it isn't bad, at least in my opinion. It is between my preferential price point for 5gb, which is $35 monthly and what I figure is normal for Verizon, considering their typical overpricing of plans, at $75 monthly.

I think Verizon likely will raise the one-line rate for unlimited data, to $100 eventually, with a $5 monthly discount for autopay. When they do this, I believe Verizon ought to do something innovative with their per gb data rate plans. My suggestion is to have four of them, all including an improved version of their "Safety Mode", at the maximum speed of 9mbps, instead of at 2G speeds. These plans are priced at $35 monthly for 5GB, $55 monthly for 15gb, $75 monthly for 25gb, and $95 monthly for 35gb.

I realize these rates seem too good for the price, but consider Verizon offering high-speed data up to 22gb before potentially being throttled on the unlimited data plan, along with 10gb of high-speed data while tethering, essentially that is a 32gb high-speed data plan including unlimited, mostly fast speed for $80 monthly. My idea for plans with 35gb of high-speed data for $95 monthly and then 25gb for $75 monthly, isn't far off thinking, even with unlimited data at 9mbps thereafter.

They wouldn't have been able to handle the call/website volume.

As it is, Verizon's call centers and website got slammed when it premiered it during the Grammy's.

Plus, a Super Bowl ad would be more expensive.

• Like 1

Wait is someone really saying less then 1/4 of sprint macro sites (~40,000) don't have 8t8r?

More than 5000 were deployed in the initial wave of 2013-2014 and deployment continued rapidly well into 2015 before it was halted en mass at the end of 2015 when Marcelo began his cost cutting.

Approximately a tad over half of sprints total LTE sites have 8t8r now and that number is increasing every day thanks to renew Capex expenditures at the later half of 2016 which included small cell orders, new B41 macro site colocation using mini macros (hello the previously undeployed southern states), adoption of DAS Node usage, and bringing GMO/ non LTE sites in house as high priority sites targeted for LTE activation.

Stuff is happening and did happen. To say otherwise is just rubbish. No one is happy about the what $60,000,000 (yes, that little, they knew exactly how much they were going to spend last year from the get go) they spent on network expansion for the entirety of 2016 but it is what it was and so be it but to say they're doing nothing now is rubbish and there's proof from multiple regions across multiple vendors all across the country.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

$60,000,000 on network expansion for 2016? I believe you on the figure but where is that from? Quarterly Reports?

• Like 1