Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

You guys are nuts!!!! Don't you remember under Hesse all the NV delays and how the network was still unusable after billions and billions spent? Unusable you cried!!!

Sprint's network is better than it ever has been before. Pricing is lower than ever before. Marcelo has focused limited resources under drowning debt on the most critical places. It has improved as much as possible without getting more capital.

If Hesse remained at the helm, there would not even be a Sprint right now. Don't get me wrong. I liked Dan Hesse. But he would have been the wrong CEO the past 1-1/2 years. Heck, he was the wrong CEO since 2012. And a big reason why Sprint is in the network position its in.

The reality is, you guys want Sprint to spend billions it doesn't have in capex in the areas you prefer. And any CEO that gets in the way of your dreams, you will have no confidence in. That's fine. But I respectfully disagree.

If you fairly consider Sprint's position when Marcelo took over...the network condition, stock price, subscriber numbers...Marcelo is improving everything. Marcelo has done more to improve Sprint in 1-1/2 years than Hesse did the previous 3. All while the market is getting more competitive and reducing per subscriber revenues. That is the big story of why capex has been reduced.

This is revisionist history to think Hesse is now some superman who would have done everything YOU wanted the past 18 months.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I remember all of it. Don't forget the massive train wreck he inherited, don't forget how the Sprint board held him back on some things like acquiring MetroPCS. Things were far from perfect during his tenure, and I think a lot of people thought he was a bumbling idiot but in the grand scheme of things he did manage to get the ball rolling on a new network and get them to a buyout. I think he was probably great for Sprint at the time, would I ever want him back? No way.

I don't think a lot of what he's blamed for was ever his fault or really under his control, I mean one person can only do so much especially if people under you are defiant. I have a feeling he didn't wanna clean house because he probably didn't wanna undertake any more huge projects and knew he was close to retirement.

I think a lot of people expected Marcelo to be a John Legere of sorts and get them polished up and make efficient use of everything they've got like has been done at T-Mobile. They need someone with that ability to pull it all together and polish it up at this point, in addition to the good things Marcelo has done. Obviously they've still got a giant ball and chain shackled to their ankle and I'm still not sure what it is, money is obviously one of them but that shouldn't stop them from making the best of what they have now (and I don't feel they have).

• Like 2

https://opensignal.com/blog/2017/02/16/lte-how-us-operators-stack-up-by-region/

Sprint is not looking good for LTE availability or speed. They are dead last in every single category in every single region.

I am most shocked by AT&T. Sprint though really needs to start focusing on network. It is getting tiring hearing Sprint is within 1% of Verizon using Nielson data but analyzed by Sprint in 108 metros areas. Especially when no other report shows this to be true.

• Like 2

Sometimes you can't match a opponent blow for blow. Sometimes you have to sit back and take it until the right opportunity arises and go in for the strike, have to be strategic instead of being reactionary like some of you people are suggesting. Some of you claiming you been with Sprint a long time. I've got twice the time then most here. Haven't even once considered going somewhere else because they have the faster network. Worked thru my issues with network vision. Tried WiMAX when every one else was on 2g and 3g. Had my NexTel run.

Some of you want things to happen overnight, well guess what. A good plan doesn't happen overnight, not does it get telegraphed so that the competition will know whats coming up and can counter it. Just like no one saw what Verizon just released on 2/13 and now everyone is being reactionary except AT&T who hasn't said or done a thing. That is the approach Sprint should take.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Sometimes you can't match a opponent blow for blow. Sometimes you have to sit back and take it until the right opportunity arises and go in for the strike, have to be strategic instead of being reactionary like some of you people are suggesting. Some of you claiming you been with Sprint a long time. I've got twice the time then most here. Haven't even once considered going somewhere else because they have the faster network. Worked thru my issues with network vision. Tried WiMAX when every one else was on 2g and 3g. Had my NexTel run.

Some of you want things to happen overnight, well guess what. A good plan doesn't happen overnight, not does it get telegraphed so that the competition will know whats coming up and can counter it. Just like no one saw what Verizon just released on 2/13 and now everyone is being reactionary except AT&T who hasn't said or done a thing. That is the approach Sprint should take.

Current customers are leaving.

This isn't about new customers not joining... Sprint has been getting positive Net Adds from promos/deals targeted at new customers.

This is about what's not being done to keep current customers.... and we haven't seen it yet. That's the problem, and this needs to be shored up quickly. This isn't knee jerk or reactionary.

• Like 2

Current customers are leaving.

This isn't about new customers not joining... Sprint has been getting positive Net Adds from promos/deals targeted at new customers.

This is about what's not being done to keep current customers.... and we haven't seen it yet. That's the problem, and this needs to be shored up quickly. This isn't knee jerk or reactionary.

Yes, being reactionary doing what Verizon wants them to do. Getting you trapped into what you thought was a good thing and then later comes the first bill, sticker shock sets in. Taxes, fees, surcharges, line credits not showing up for 2 to 3 billing cycles and they have you right where they want you

Here's Dr. John Saw's take on Sprint's spectrum position and Unlimited:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/in-the-land-of-wireless-spectrum-is-king.htm

Thoughts?

To be honest...someone needs to ask him "Then why is Sprint constantly in last place for LTE speed"??? I'm sick of hearing about Sprint's ultimate spectrum position, when they aren't deploying it!

• Like 9

Why doesn't Sprint ever get it? Great promos for new customers but not for current. At least with T-Mobile they allow current customers to get the same benefit. 

Exactly, I really think that T-mobile is and has been setting the guidelines for the cellular industry lately. I think having the advertised price be the real price was perfect and should also be adopted by all carriers, cable, satellite, and ISPs providing internet service.

I have Direct TV at the moment and plan on switching to DIsh and then switch again every 2 years to get the new customer pricing. But that is easier as there is no number to port and happens instantly.

• Like 2

Yes, being reactionary doing what Verizon wants them to do. Getting you trapped into what you thought was a good thing and then later comes the first bill, sticker shock sets in. Taxes, fees, surcharges, line credits not showing up for 2 to 3 billing cycles and they have you right where they want you

I have only experienced a problem with Verizon FiOS with my first bill, and they corrected it and gave me a massive credit for over a year because they felt terrible. Also, you cannot talk negatively about any other carrier when it comes to fees and surcharges, because Sprint is the king of fees and surcharges. They match and lead the industry in many of these fees. Further, you cannot deny statistics that continue to show the network is struggling. Just because you do not have any issues does not mean the network has no issues. Yes, every carrier has coverage gaps and congested sites, but the science shows that Sprint right now has more of these issues than the top 3. Further, you mention being with Sprint through thick and thin, but do keep in mind you are a customer. You should always be seeking to enhance your financial standing. If another company comes along with better prices and a similar or better network, then you would be a fool not to take that deal. It is up to the consumer to price check companies and always be seeking out a better deal. People should not put blinders on with brand loyalty because what good is competition if nobody is taken advantage of it.

• Like 2

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/in-the-land-of-wireless-spectrum-is-king.htm

Thoughts?

I try to explain spectrum to customers and it goes right over their heads. Fact is, most customers that I talk to whether it is urban or rural, don't care. They just want their smartphone to work and they want it to work well. 

• Like 1

Where does it say "new customers only" I don't see it. I didn't see existing customers in vzw. My point is until someone calls and gets denied we don't know.

Fine print...

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-best-unlimited-hd-plan-ever.htm

1Savings until March 31, 2018; then $60/mo. for line 1, $40.mo for line 2 and $30/mo. lines 3-4. HD video streams at up to 1080p, music at up to 1.5Mbps, gaming streams at up to 8Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Pricing shown with $5/mo./line AutoPay discount applied within two invoices. Requires eBill and new account activation. Taxes, surcharges and restrictions apply.

• Like 1

Where does it say "new customers only" I don't see it. I didn't see existing customers in vzw. My point is until someone calls and gets denied we don't know.

Read the fine print, "Savings until 3/31/18; then $60/mo. for line 1, $40 for line 2 and $30/mo. lines 3-4. Streams video at up to HD 1080p, music at up to 1.5mbps, gaming at up to 8mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. MHS, P2P and VPN reduced to 2G speeds after 10GB/mo. Pricing shown with AutoPay discount applied w/i 2 invoices. Req. new acct. Other monthly charges apply**

https://www.sprint.com/landings/unlimited-cell-phone-plans/index.html?ECID=vanity:unlimited

• Like 1

Thoughts?

I'm kind of tired of hearing about Sprint's spectrum position.  We've been hearing about that since NV started.

• Like 7

I'm kind of tired of hearing about Sprint's spectrum position. We've been hearing about that since NV started.

To me this is how you know many towers are still without 2.5. They wouldnt have to talk about spectrum if I was already mostly deployed. The results would speak for themselves.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 10

this is pretty cool. Massive MIMO on 1.9 MHz... brought to you by non other than ShenTel

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/02/blue-danube-reveals-fdd-massive-mimo-trials-t-shentel

Massive MIMO will not necessarily improve aggregate bandwidth at the device (you're still running 4x2 or 4x4 MIMO). But it helps with more precise beam forming and is great help at the cell's edge.

• Like 2

I'm kind of tired of hearing about Sprint's spectrum position. We've been hearing about that since NV started.

Ditto. Everytime I hear them talk about their spectrum position. The more I think about the other 3 carrier's having a better network with less spectrum. Especially T-Mobile.
  • Like 7