Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Because Sprint wanted to show Net Adds and ARPU growth for each quarter... and get to positive FCF.

However, doing so neglected existing customers and now it's biting them badly. If those customers leave en masse, it's a big problem... because they aren't coming back. Sprint will be stuck with rate chasing customers on promo pricing that could up and leave in a year or less. This is going to be a disaster.

As I started to see T-Mobile grow and Sprint struggle to grow I felt like there was going to be a switch between the two. T-Mobile focuses on nationwide coverage, while Sprint focuses on cities coverage which in turn will make them the carrier that's only great in cities.

I wonder how Sprint would be in 2017 if John was over it and Marcelo was over T-Mobile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As I started to see T-Mobile grow and Sprint struggle to grow I felt like there was going to be a switch between the two. T-Mobile focuses on nationwide coverage, while Sprint focuses on cities coverage which in turn will make them the carrier that's only great in cities.

I don't even see this happening for Sprint. T-Mobile usually has a more dense macro network than Sprint. I don't think I've ever seen Sprint add a macro around my area. Sprint has just been stalling ever since they finished NV.
  • Like 4

I don't even see this happening for Sprint. T-Mobile usually has a more dense macro network than Sprint. I don't think I've ever seen Sprint add a macro around my area. Sprint has just been stalling ever since they finished NV.

Stalling in the hopes of a merger?

• Like 3

Guess it is time for T-Mobile to acquire or merge with Sprint lol

They're not even supposed to talk until a federally imposed quiet period is over...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article131994539.html

"The culprit is Uncle Sam’s complex process of buying up airwaves licenses from television stations and reselling them to telecommunications companies. T-Mobile, Verizon, Comcast and others are in the final stages of that auction of wireless spectrum they could use to enhance or build wireless networks across the nation."

"As Washington began the auction process, regulators imposed a quiet period aimed at preventing bidders from colluding. Experts say the anti-collusion order effectively put merger talks and other strategic communications off-limits until the federal auction ends."

Per this article, that could be in March or April...

• Like 1

OK but was anyone surprised? I already said Sprint has the cheapest unlimited plans for now. They're likely betting on the case that in a year VZW will increase prices for unlimited (because this is an introductory plan after all) and T-Mobile's 2 lines for $100 deal will end.

They'll likely just run another promo to undercut everyone if this doesn't pan out.

I was hoping maybe an increase in tethering but I typically don't go over 3GB of tethering in a single billing period anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

OK but was anyone surprised? I already said Sprint has the cheapest unlimited plans for now. They're likely betting on the case that in a year VZW will increase prices for unlimited (because this is an introductory plan after all) and T-Mobile's 2 lines for $100 deal will end.

They'll likely just run another promo to undercut everyone if this doesn't pan out.

I was hoping maybe an increase in tethering but I typically don't go over 3GB of tethering in a single billing period anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

But they're not the cheapest for current customers who want HD Resolution Streaming. Sprint tacks on $20/month per Line for that.

Verizon and T-Mobile include HD Resolution streaming at no additonal cost for all plan customers, new or existing.

Waiting for Verizon to raise prices is not a strategy. Sprint is at risk of bleeding out its most loyal customers and being left with new promo customers who have no loyalty at all... especially when their bill increases after the promo runs out in March 31, 2018.

• Like 3

But they're not the cheapest for current customers who want HD Resolution Streaming. Sprint tacks on $20/month per Line for that.

Verizon and T-Mobile include HD Resolution streaming at no additonal cost for all plan customers, new or existing.

Waiting for Verizon to raise prices is not a strategy. Sprint is at risk of bleeding out its most loyal customers and being left with new promo customers who have no loyalty at all... especially when their bill increases after the promo runs out in March 31, 2018.

I've still never experienced less than 720p on Sprint with Unlimited Freedom and I don't have any stuttering with music streaming so it's a non-factor for me. I don't know why anyone would spend $20/month on that upgrade.

Also it's a strategy when your prices are still the lowest. Their promotional pricing with $20 add on is still cheaper than Verizon.

• Like 2

I've still never experienced less than 720p on Sprint with Unlimited Freedom and I don't have any stuttering with music streaming so it's a non-factor for me. I don't know why anyone would spend $20/month on that upgrade.

Also it's a strategy when your prices are still the lowest. Their promotional pricing with $20 add on is still cheaper than Verizon.

So even though Sprint says 480p you get 720p?

The promo runs out in March 2018, and it's only for new customers.

On an Apples to Apples comparison as advertised feature for feature, Verizon is cheaper for existing customers.

• Like 2

So even though Sprint says 480p you get 720p?

The promo runs out in March 2018, and it's only for new customers.

On an Apples to Apples comparison as advertised feature for feature, Verizon is cheaper for existing customers.

Cheaper how? If you want more, you pay more. I'm not saying Verizon's deal is bad, I'm saying what I said from the beginning which is that, T-Mobile is more threatened by this than Sprint is. T-Mobile had to lower prices or match VZW in features. Sprint already had prices way lower and matching VZW would likely cut into their revenue so it's not worth it.

Sprint isn't on the same footing financially as the other 3 national carriers. Expecting them to offer 10GB of tethering, HD streaming (which it already does but ok), and 500MB of LTE roaming per day in Mexico and Canada, isn't exactly economically feasible for them if they want to continue to increase revenue and turn a profit eventually.

If that doesn't satisfy you, then by all means switch and it'll show Sprint that what they're doing is not good enough for you. But as long as they offer unlimited data for the cheapest price, people will still look at them.

• Like 4

Cheaper how? If you want more, you pay more. I'm not saying Verizon's deal is bad, I'm saying what I said from the beginning which is that, T-Mobile is more threatened by this than Sprint is. T-Mobile had to lower prices or match VZW in features. Sprint already had prices way lower and matching VZW would likely cut into their revenue so it's not worth it.

Sprint isn't on the same footing financially as the other 3 national carriers. Expecting them to offer 10GB of tethering, HD streaming (which it already does but ok), and 500MB of LTE roaming per day in Mexico and Canada, isn't exactly economically feasible for them if they want to continue to increase revenue and turn a profit eventually.

If that doesn't satisfy you, then by all means switch and it'll show Sprint that what they're doing is not good enough for you. But as long as they offer unlimited data for the cheapest price, people will still look at them.

Sprint could match this by at least giving all customers Unlimited Freedom Premium for free, not as a $20/month per line upsell.

You are getting 720p but what's advertised to customers is mobile optimized. T-Mobile is able to say HD. Verizon says HD.

T-Mobile's plan includes Taxes and Fees. Sprint's doesn't... and Verizon's doesn't.

Sprint can either cut prices/add features and keep customers... or it's going to keep prices and loyal, not easily replaced, customers leave. Revenue drops either way. At least with the former way, Sprint still has loyal customers.

• Like 1

Sprint could match this by at least giving all customers Unlimited Freedom Premium for free, not as a $20/month per line upsell.

You are getting 720p but what's advertised to customers is mobile optimized. T-Mobile is able to say HD. Verizon says HD.

T-Mobile's plan includes Taxes and Fees. Sprint's doesn't... and Verizon's doesn't.

Sprint can either cut prices/add features and keep customers... or it's going to keep prices and loyal, not easily replaced, customers leave. Revenue drops either way. At least with the former way, Sprint still has loyal customers.

So you'd rather Sprint give everyone premium for free and lose a source of revenue? That makes no sense considering it doesn't make a difference in real world usage. It's a lie that makes them money. Something that makes much more sense is lowering the price of it to $10. Less revenue but still revenue.

720p is HD. That video didn't even play for 10 second before it defaulted to that, it's likely would've gone up to 1080p. I also play 1080p videos while tethering to my laptop no problem.

I don't know why you're arguing taxes and fees. Given how close their prices were anyway, people would likely jump at VZW if they only had to pay $5 more compared to Sprint where they'd likely have to pay $20+ more.

Loyal/not easily replaced customers are kind of an oxymoron given the context of their leaving which is they see something that's better for them. They're not the only customers in the market. I just said in my last comment that as long as people are seeking out the cheapest price, Sprint will always have a market to tap into.

• Like 1

So you'd rather Sprint give everyone premium for free and lose a source of revenue? That makes no sense

720p is HD.

I don't know why you're arguing taxes and fees. Given how close their prices were anyway, people would likely jump at VZW if they only had to pay $5 more compared to Sprint where they'd likely have to pay $20+ more.

Loyal/not easily replaced customers are kind of an oxymoron given the context of their leaving which is they see something that's better for them. 

Right on!

All of the "loyal" Sprint users are chomping at the bit to jump to Verizon because of the more expensive unlimited offering.

I would like to see Sprint let existing customers move to the promotional price but in their last earnings call Robaitti was talking up the future increased revenue when promotional pricing ends.

So you'd rather Sprint give everyone premium for free and lose a source of revenue? That makes no sense considering it doesn't make a difference in real world usage. It's a lie that makes them money. Something that makes much more sense is lowering the price of it to $10. Less revenue but still revenue.

720p is HD. That video didn't even play for 10 second before it defaulted to that, it's likely would've gone up to 1080p. I also play 1080p videos while tethering to my laptop no problem.

Loyal/not easily replaced customers are kind of an oxymoron given the context of their leaving which is they see something that's better for them. They're not the only customers in the market. I just said in my last comment that as long as people are seeking out the cheapest price, Sprint will always have a market to tap into.

Keeping customers is less expensive than winning them back.... if they are winnable from another carrier, and they may not be for some time.

Revenue drops if people leave. I'm saying this is a way to stem what's about to happen this quarter with churn.

Sprint's revenue is more impacted by new customer promos ($90/month for 5 lines) that last for a year and then spike, giving people a reason to leave.

Sprint should end that promo for new customers and offer a great price to everyone.

Unlimited Freedom Premium at Unlimited Freedom Prices, include taxes and fees... and if the deal breaker is 10 GB of Tethering, make it 5 GB.

• Like 1

Right on!

All of the "loyal" Sprint users are chomping at the bit to jump to Verizon because of the more expensive unlimited offering.

I would like to see Sprint let existing customers move to the promotional price but in their last earnings call Robaitti was talking up the future increased revenue when promotional pricing ends.

Many are also chomping at the bit because Sprint just simply isn't keeping up with the top 3 carriers in terms of performance and coverage. Even if Sprint continues to be the cheapest many are seeing that Verizon is not that much more expensive but you receive a whole lot more. I am currently on a train using my iPad in Mount Vernon, NY heading into the city. My Sprint speed right now on my iPhone 6s is 0.33 megabits up and 0.45 megabits down and I am on LTE, right next to the Bronx River Parkway. I have complained to Sprint for months now. The iPad on T-Mobile on the other hand is over 35 megabits down. I'm seeing this type of performance in more locations now more than ever. Yes Sprint is awesome in the cities, but their network enhancements have really slowed down the past few years. I realize they are struggling financially, but this might be the nail in the coffin. They could only compete on price, not network.

• Like 2

Stalling in the hopes of a merger?

Exactly what I've been saying!

Even if, lets say I'm wrong about AT&T deciding to fight Softbank for T-Mobile, while my hopes would then be for Softbank getting what they want, I still think the FCC will block it. This deal would make a much larger company by spectrum and combined network than Verizon and AT&T alone. Then there is the knowledge that the FCC has always been seen as the protector of the big two. They likely wouldn't vote for something that would be harmful to them.

Whereas, the reason I see the FCC taking a much more welcoming approach to another attempt by AT&T, should there be one, is AT&T being an American company buying out the shares of foreign ownership of T-Mobile. Then there wouldn't be as huge of a spectrum dominance over the remaining SprinT. Verizon might try buying Dish, which would increase its spectrum favorably to a combined AT&T/Verizon.

So in that case, it might be Sprint being bought by a cable company, though I think cable mergers with wireless are further down the line, after these cable giants get large enough to be nationwide. Right now, they mostly still are regional. Large regional of course, but still regional. If anything, Comcast might tie in with Verizon, while Charter does with Sprint. I definitely believe there might be an AT&T/Uverse/Directv vs Verizon/Comcast/Dish situation though.

• Like 1

Sprint strategy was bad from the start. They needed to sit down back in August 2014 when the new management team took over. our network is the worst of all four when it comes to data and speeds. We need to think long and hard and every penny we get should go to the network instead of spending billions on advertising and buying customers. 

These guys went into a crazy budget cuts storm, and they even made deep cuts into CAPEX just because of the incoming debt. Yes, like nobody saw the debt coming. Sprint cheap plans offers are basically to get the cow fat then sell it.  M&A is their strategy at this point.

• Like 4

Ugh! Now even Sprint is claiming Verizon did what it did because of Sprint. I know these smaller nationwide carriers are fighting, T-Mobile doing well at it while Sprint is being Sprint, but neither should make such bold claims about Verizon doing this because of them. As I pointed out on the AT&T thread my reasons for believing this, that Verizon did this as a response back to AT&T. Not to say though that Verizon has never done anything in response to the other two carriers, but it is rare they do, and when it does, its never as good as what the smaller carriers do, since Verizon follows up its reasoning for being subpar in those actions, as "We've got the better network".

Verizon made a serious, very good move yesterday, which they reserve those plans to counter AT&T.

Verizon is offering great trade+port deals, too.  Even an S5 or Note 4 gets a S7 for $5/mo.

Sprint needs to have some good offers for current customers for phones, too.  I think the V20 briefly had a 50% off offer for everyone, and the Bolt, too.  That's it.

• Like 1

Then what is the point of Sprint having all this spectrum they have, if they cannot afford to provide 1080p the same as T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon do?. Sprint needs business and its reputation is still quite bad, it needs to do something big. Drop the audio limits at least, since it makes Sprint look week to its competitors that do not place limits on audio, even on its cheapest plan. Sprint can afford to do that, allow 1080p, and unlimited on a $60fl/$45al plan, at least.

Then there is the issue of Softbank, as they keep buying other companies, rather than to spend on Sprint. They could easily afford to get band 41 on all the towers in the areas they have that spectrum in. They could do that, and the network would be quite a bit better than it is right now, and would provide plenty of space for hq usage.