Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I wonder what Sprint is going to do to counter these moves by Verizon and Tmobile in the past 2 days. Sprint cannot afford to stand pat and do nothing or else their net adds are going to drop like a rock.

With all that 2.5 GHz spectrum that Sprint boasts about, it is simply unacceptable to be offering non-HD video streaming especially with small cells launching and 3xCA launch later on this year. Sprint should be able to handle that traffic with no problem and if not there is something simply wrong with the way Sprint is deploying the network.  The market has spoken and people are not willing to accept non-HD video. Based on the reaction so far about the Verizon Unlimited plan, people are willing to pay more to get 10 GB high speed hotspot tethering AND HD video streaming. Even though AT&T is going to implement Stream Saver in early 2017, it seems like there is a way to manually opt out of it and maintain HD video streaming (which I am sure a lot of people will do) with the purpose of Stream Saver is to help those that on data buckets to make their data last longer.

Sprint should change their tune and immediately make changes to their Unlimited Freedom plan to compete with Verizon and Tmobile by offering HD video streaming. In addition Sprint needs to increase their 5 GB hotspot tether to at least 10 GB high speed hotspot tether to compete. However I feel that Sprint should "One up" the competition and offer 15 GB high speed tethering to try to claw back some of the customers.

The fact that Sprint only offers promos to new customers is ridiculous. Fundamentally Sprint needs to get it out of their heads that retaining current customers is way more important than trying to get new customers. What is the point of attracting new customers if Sprint loses 2x as much in current customers defecting since they are not able to take advantage of its promos. Tmobile allows their current customers to take advantage of new promos (ex: Buy 2 get 2 lines free) which has been key for them in maintaining customer satisfaction so Sprint needs to do the same for its current customers or they will be dead in the water. So many people are ready to jump off of Sprint (including myself) just in a split second from what Verizon and Tmobile are offering.

• Like 6

I wonder what Sprint is going to do to counter these moves by Verizon and Tmobile in the past 2 days. Sprint cannot afford to stand pat and do nothing or else their net adds are going to drop like a rock.

With all that 2.5 GHz spectrum that Sprint boasts about, it is simply unacceptable to be offering non-HD video streaming especially with small cells launching and 3xCA launch later on this year. Sprint should be able to handle that traffic with no problem and if not there is something simply wrong with the way Sprint is deploying the network. The market has spoken and people are not willing to accept non-HD video. Based on the reaction so far about the Verizon Unlimited plan, people are willing to pay more to get 10 GB high speed hotspot tethering AND HD video streaming. Even though AT&T is going to implement "Stream Saver" in early 2017, it seems like there is a way to manually opt out of it and maintain HD video streaming (which I am sure a lot of people will do) with the purpose of Stream Saver is to help those that on data buckets to make their data last longer.

Sprint should change their tune and offer HD video in their Unlimited Freedom plan to compete with Verizon and Tmobile. In addition Sprint needs to increase their 5 GB hotspot tether to at least 10 GB high speed hotspot tether to compete. However I feel that Sprint should "One up" the competition and offer 15 GB high speed tethering to try to claw back some of the customers.

The fact that Sprint only offers promos to new customers is ridiculous. Fundamentally Sprint needs to get it out of their heads that retaining current customers is way more important than trying to get new customers. Tmobile allows their current customers to take advantage of new promos so Sprint needs to do the same for its current customers or they will be dead in the water. So many people are ready to jump off of Sprint just in a split second from what Verizon and Tmobile are offering

I agree with all of this. I think they should keep the pricing for unlimited freedom the same, increase hotspot to 15gb, remove the other restrictions and make it available for new/existing customers

But Sprint needs to make sure they EXCEED their network goals this year. At the end of the day it comes down to the network. VoLTE needs to come this year. No excuses

• Like 6

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/switch-verizon-unlimited-and-get-hottest-phones-free

Guess what? Verizon is even offering a free phone. I have a feeling that Verizon is going to see a big increase in customers because of this plan.

Free...sort of.  You get a credit on a trade-in device based on a value they determine and apply it toward a device you buy from them.  So, turning a devalued used device for a brand new equal device will still require you to pay something.  And if you are turning in a one or two year phone, you are going to have to shell out a lot of money for a new flagship smartphone.  But it will be a good thing for some consumers.

Robert

• Like 4

Downlink is actually in the 2100 range and uplink is in the 1700 range. I haven't looked at the map myself, but what you are saying does make it sound like VZW has more than a single 20x20 AWS channel.

Ah, I had it the opposite of what I understood about AWS, though good to now know. However, it seems as if its is twice the amount I heard reported of Verizon's AWS spectrum in this area.

I have a plan idea I'm not sure if people will agree with or not. My idea is for Sprint to have three different unlimited data plans. One is $45 monthly for the first line, $30 monthly for each additional line, each line having a 30gb throttle limit and includes unlimited 2G tethering. The next plan is $60 monthly for the first line, $45 monthly for each additional line, each line having a 45gb throttle limit and includes unlimited 3G tethering. Then finally a plan at $75 monthly for the first line, $60 monthly for each additional line, each line having a 60gb throttle limit and includes unlimited 4G tethering. Unlimited International calling for an additional $15 monthly for each line.

And just think, up until last week. Verizon was kicking grandfathered unlimited plan users off the network if they didn't tow the line and switch over to a tiered data plan. Plus kept jacking up there prices. There is going to be a gotcha in there somewhere. Oh by the way, It isn't going to be a contract plan so guess what, terms can change at the drop of a hat. Knowing Verizon, I wouldn't put it past them.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Contracts are out for every carrier. Sprint, T-Mobile, at&t, and Verizon can (or soon will be able to) change the service terms to all their subscribers.
  • Like 3

I agree with all of this. I think they should keep the pricing for unlimited freedom the same, increase hotspot to 15gb, remove the other restrictions and make it available for new/existing customers

But Sprint needs to make sure they EXCEED their network goals this year. At the end of the day it comes down to the network. VoLTE needs to come this year. No excuses

I agree 100%. They have the spectrum to literally do whatever they want. I think a good marketing spot they could have done was to say hey why limited your unlimited data. Stream in HD all on our network unlike the other guys who tell you that you can't stream in HD. they should play up their assets in the public eye and not just investors.

Honestly I don't think we will see VoLTE until Q1 of next year at the earliest. I just don't see Sprint pulling the trigger on it because they want a crap load of small cells out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

But their current promo is better then T-mobiles and Verizon.. if Marcelo came out and said 5 lines 90 bucks unlimited HD steaming 20GB hotspot and up prioritization to 32 GB. A plan like that would make noise... if he wants to get funky

Sadly, it's just a promo.  After a year, they jack up your rates.  This is great for comcast where you typically have no other choice for broadband but for Sprint it just seems like a silly idea considering nobody else is pulling that crap.

This is competition in effect.  Sprint needs to up its game.  I am wondering if Comcast or Dish is going to buy Sprint.

• Like 1

WOW, hope Marcelo's latest Tweet isn't what he thinks will work for a response. If so I feel they are going to loose a lot of customers.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/831507181040177152

Join today, $90 for 5 lines 

*Until 3/31/18, then we'll jack your rate to 190/month.

It just comes off as sleazy.  I dont know what the heck sprint is thinking pulling this junk to acquire customers.  You spend ALL this money/energy to acquire them and then risk them churning out in a year????

I hope Sprint continues to improve its network and restarts its marketing efforts AGAIN.  Just sad to see.

• Like 8

Join today, $90 for 5 lines

*Until 3/31/18, then we'll jack your rate to 190/month.

It just comes off as sleazy. I dont know what the heck sprint is thinking pulling this junk to acquire customers. You spend ALL this money/energy to acquire them and then risk them churning out in a year????

I hope Sprint continues to improve its network and restarts its marketing efforts AGAIN. Just sad to see.

Where the normal price for that plan is 5 lines for $180. So your getting 50% off

WOW, hope Marcelo's latest Tweet isn't what he thinks will work for a response. If so I feel they are going to loose a lot of customers.

He just doesn't get it. These promos he is touting are just that, promos and available only for new customers. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is going to jump ship right now form Verizon for Sprint. It just doesn't make any sense to. Sprint's name is still damaged: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/01/10/americas-most-hated-companies-sprint.html. Until they can repair that, we will still only see unimpressive adds. Further it seems that Son is getting more and more interested in moving away from Sprint: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sprint-merger-deal-options-20170209-story.html. I can see why people are upset with Sprint. They always keep trying to do business as usual in a fast moving sector. 

Where the normal price for that plan is 5 lines for $180. So your getting 50% off

Yes, but that is only for a year. Verizon's plan is the plan price, not a promotional rate. And it is only available for new customers. The problem with Marcelo's plan is it doesn't help current customers who can now get a better rate with T-Mobile or Verizon. There isn't much loyalty in this business. It is cheaper to retain customers than it is to gain new ones. By not acknowledging this churn will increase this quarter. Churn is a major metric for investors.

• Like 2

Big mistake. Huge. He's just not getting it.

The prices are cheap but he should just let people who sign up keep those rates for the life of the plan. But too he can up the video streaming resolution. Since they are within 1% of Verizon they can handle it. I'm just saying. I think he may have have some new plan revisions coming but not on the price front. Can't get no lower than that.

This could be a high churn quarter of loyal customers with multiple lines.

Basically, Sprint could be back in the same position it was when Marcelo arrived: costing more than the competition and losing valuable existing customers through churn:

Pretty unbelievable... but the math doesn't lie:

5 lines on Unlimited Freedom Premium (HD Resolution Streaming) for existing customers is $290/month.

5 lines on Verizon's new Unlimited Plan (HD Resolution Streaming) for new and existing customers is $200/month.

Never mind the ED customers who had 2 Year Contracts pulled out from under them.

Marcelo is either not getting the advice he needs or he's not listening to it. Big problem if this doesn't change. Sprint's on the edge of a cliff here, and this could get bad very quickly.

• Like 7

The prices are cheap but he should just let people who sign up keep those rates for the life of the plan. But too he can up the video streaming resolution. Since they are within 1% of Verizon they can handle it. I'm just saying. I think he may have have some new plan revisions coming but not on the price front. Can't get no lower than that.

Unlimited Freedom Premium needs to be lowered to what regular Unlimited Freedom costs, include taxes/fees and make it available to all customers.

• Like 1

Unlimited Freedom Premium needs to be lowered to what regular Unlimited Freedom costs, include taxes/fees and make it available to all customers.

Yeah. I just never understood why Sprint never included existing customers in on newer plans and promos. And for the life of me promo plans that change after a year or so. I guess they really hold that work "promo" to its meaning.

Yeah. I just never understood why Sprint never included existing customers in on newer plans and promos. And for the life of me promo plans that change after a year or so. I guess they really hold that work "promo" to its meaning.

It is called ARPU. Promos are to grow subscribers.

This is a crucial moment for Sprint. I think it's in real trouble here if Marcelo doesn't respond appropriately.

• Like 4

I guess the market likes it that Sprint isn't saying much. c3cd6a6a26751aba8d58cabb4c0608d3.jpg

Can't really say that is the reason right now. It might be up because Songs aid he would be interested in merging or selling. Springs spectrum is still worth more than their stock is valued at imo. Sprint is still a good buy.

• Like 1

Sprint neglected two years on building and densification  their network(2014 and 2016). Instead of working and using their assets(120mhz of 2.5ghz spectrum) they got into a cheap promo war with Tmobile, while high paying postpaid customers continued to leave the carrier. 

Sprint loves to cite Rootmetrics reports, but ignore the fact they are still last in network data performance and speeds. Yes they fixed the calls and text drop problem, but this is not 2007 when  Voice was the main thing.

• Like 9

Because Sprint wanted to show Net Adds and ARPU growth for each quarter... and get to positive FCF.

However, doing so neglected existing customers and now it's biting them badly. If those customers leave en masse, it's a big problem... because they aren't coming back. Sprint will be stuck with rate chasing customers on promo pricing that could up and leave in a year or less. This is going to be a disaster.

• Like 2