Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Looking for some educated opinions. I live in an area that is surrounded by GMO sites. We have been having many service issues over the past week mostly dropped calls. I have called Sprint and reported the issues. According to Sprint there are no known issues and no tickets open. On Wednesday 2 of my devices both using signal check pro app, started switching between 3g and LTE b25. I was not able to use the data when on LTE but the signal held for about an hour. After that we have not connect to LTE in that same area. So is it more likely the app reporting wrong or Sprint working on upgrading these sites and not advertising it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Highly likely upgrades, GMO have been getting LTE in quite a few places. They are probably testing.

Whenever i have issues with connectivity hit up @sprintcare @marcicarris and @marceloclaure on twitter I always get results.

Off-topic quick question, if I may.

This morning, my phone was acting oddly, followed by an Android message box telling me that a "Service update has been applied". This has happened occasionally, but infrequently. It's not the usual software upgrade. Is this something that Sprint pushed out? What is it for?

Thanks for anything enlightening.

Sent from my HTC One M9

Off-topic quick question, if I may.

This morning, my phone was acting oddly, followed by an Android message box telling me that a "Service update has been applied". This has happened occasionally, but infrequently. It's not the usual software upgrade. Is this something that Sprint pushed out? What is it for?

Thanks for anything enlightening.

Sent from my HTC One M9

Most likely a PRL update

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Highly likely upgrades, GMO have been getting LTE in quite a few places. They are probably testing.

Whenever i have issues with connectivity hit up @sprintcare @marcicarris and @marceloclaure on twitter I always get results.

I just got off the phone with Sprint's executive team. Basically they want to open a ticket and wait 72 hours for a response from the field. We will see what comes out of it. 

• Like 1

Sheesh, not this again.  We have been saying for years now that dividing a single wireless service into multiple speed tiers will not fly.  Many an average user on a middle or high speed tier will start complaining that they are getting cheated if they run even two or three speed tests, respectively, that fall below the threshold of a lower speed tier.  Due to poor signal or network congestion, wireless networks cannot guarantee coverage, let alone speeds.  Bar none.

That is why a wireless service may impose a universal speed cap -- see Cricket.  Speeds are understood to range from zero up to the cap.  But a wireless service rarely, if ever will sell multiple speed levels that it will not be able to deliver at all times in all coverage locations.

AJ

Cricket seems to be doing well with what they are offering, and they're doing it on an overall excellent network, especially given the price. Of course, they are basing it off of one singular speed cap of 8mbps LTE/4mbps HSPA, and while that is the more simple way of doing things (I agree with dnicekid that the multiple options make things more confusing to customers), I'm basing this off the notion of Sprint often wanting to give multiple choices to customers. It isn't my personal ideal way of doing it, which would be to offer one speed capped plan at 9mbps and the other a sliding scale speed unlimited plan.

The other point is, I think we'll start hearing more about the continuing failure of T-Mobile's network, which Sprint really would be best at reshaping their plans away from directly competing with T-Mobile's offering. It is time for Sprint to move forwards with competing against the big two carriers that are doing things more towards the right way of it. We already are starting to see how John Legere's changes to T-Mobile are negatively affecting that company and everything he does with it starting to collapse. Again, I say Marcelo is in charge of something much bigger with much more potential than T-Mobile, once the financial situations get resolved. Focus on that and the future, not try to be like something that is just a fading fad.

I agree with the posts. I think that the service that T-Mobile provides is darn good based on my brothers service with them. I do believe that we may start to hear more people complain of data slowness due to their lack of resources but they are crafty with stretching what they have using different forms of technology. One thing I will say is we can all agree that T-Mobile One plans are just a way of them saying "we don't have a lot of Spectrum so we need to control your data on the network." The whole out network was built for unlimited data is bs at this point.

The same can be said for Sprint and their Freedom plan. Though they have the resources, they don't want people to overly abuse the network as it continues to improve and people take notice. There are times when Sprint irks my last nerve like no longer being able to pick up B41 2CA at my place anymore and being stuck on B26 and thinking about leaving but the same thought keeps popping up in my head that 1. No carrier is perfect and 2. That the best has yet to come from Sprint and that I better hold on to my plan if I don't like the T-Mobile one and freedom plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It occur to you to try the link again?

What link?

I did it on desktop to see it. Speeds are 200Mbps

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Any pics to prove that?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Cricket seems to be doing well with what they are offering, and they're doing it on an overall excellent network, especially given the price. Of course, they are basing it off of one singular speed cap of 8mbps LTE/4mbps HSPA, and while that is the more simple way of doing things (I agree with dnicekid that the multiple options make things more confusing to customers), I'm basing this off the notion of Sprint often wanting to give multiple choices to customers. It isn't my personal ideal way of doing it, which would be to offer one speed capped plan at 9mbps and the other a sliding scale speed unlimited plan.

Cricket does not serve your point because, as you note, Cricket offers only one speed tier, capped at 8 Mbps, meaning 0-8 Mbps.  There is no hypothetical Cricket Plus, capped at 20 Mbps for $15 extra.  And that is smart thinking from AT&T.  Here is why.

AT&T cannot deliver 8-20 Mbps that reliably.  Higher tier speeds still would fall below the 8 Mbps threshold many times in many places.  People would figure that out.  Some would come to the realization that they actually never need 8-20 Mbps, that 0-8 Mbps is perfectly adequate for their usage.  Others still would want the higher tier 8-20 Mbps speeds, but if AT&T frequently could not provide those speeds, why should they pay extra for Cricket Plus?

So, among both groups, many would opt to cut the $15 extra and drop back to the lower speed tier.  Revenue would suffer.  Yet, part of revenue generation in wireless service is selling people things that they think they need but do not really need or do not really use.

AJ

• Like 4

Doesn't necessarily mean it's live to the public though. Who in real life has that many Sprint notifications in their notification bar?

Sent from my LG G5

I can think of several co-workers at my company who never clear their notification bar. Heck, mine can get that high at times too.

Found the post. There were two notifications…

Look, it's great that Marcelo can share that screenshot, but we still don't have any real evidence that 3xCA is live for the consumer. Until that point, we still have to operate under the assumption that the speedtest was run by someone testing the network. Has anyone even found the 3rd carrier live in NYC yet?