Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If you are in the gap between two sectors, sometimes it gets real bad. In my old house I was right in the gap, less than half a mile from the site. Two blocks down, perfect signal. Two blocks up, the same. At my location maybe 2 ticks of signal. Inside the house just one. It did not help that the house was constructed out of cement block. Verizon perfect signal, AT&T also, T-mobile, crap. All of them on the same tower. All of them on PCS.

My house is in a gap between two sectors on band 41. The difference between band 41 and band 26 in my neighborhood is drastic for this reason. I could see as much as a 22 dbm difference.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

True. And just to be sure, no current phone (including iPhone 7) is 4x4 Mimo capable right?

The Note 7 is but we know what's going on with that right now for all models not for the Chinese market.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

It just made sense to me that it could be Sprint since he did mention that they were only using 60MHz of spectrum along with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM to achieve those near 1Gbps speeds. These are all things Sprint could achieve with their current Band 41 setup, no?

Edit: But I also see the LAA/LTE-U presentation on the next screen in the background.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sprint won't hit 1Gbps with on a device with the x16 and their current setup. They would be lucky to max out in perfect conditions at 600 Mbps. 

(Current Max 2x2) 85Mbps x (Max increase due to QAM 64 to 256 if you are pushing it) ~1.4 x (going from 2 streams to 10 streams on the x16) 5 = ~600Mbps 

They may change the timing and put out a press release about their "Top Speeds". 

I don't see 4x4 UE as such a big deal if the network is already 4x2. It will not change the capacity of the site in question and therefor won't increase capacity to hard hit areas.  In case anyone is interested the snapdragon 820 is limited to 6 spatial streams. Meaning 4x4 + 2x2 CA or 2x2 + 2x2 + 2x2 CA. It won't be 4x4 and full 3CA 20 Mhz at the same time.

I don't see 4x4 UE as such a big deal if the network is already 4x2. It will not change the capacity of the site in question and therefor won't increase capacity to hard hit areas. In case anyone is interested the snapdragon 820 is limited to 6 spatial streams. Meaning 4x4 + 2x2 CA or 2x2 + 2x2 + 2x2 CA. It won't be 4x4 and full 3CA 20 Mhz at the same time.

None of Sprint's devices actively make use of the 4x2, which can double throughput.

Full CTIA Q&A: Sprint COO Ottendorfer Boasts Momentum

Really interesting conversation about Sprint's Network strategy for 3xCA and 5G, as well as its CapEx/spending plans going forward.

As part of the densification and optimization strategy, we are using that infrastructure and we are using our spectrum assets. That gives us the ability to use less CapEx than the other because it’s a lot cheaper to activate another spectrum carrier on a tower than to build a new tower. So in many cases we don’t even need a new card, it’s just a software change.

• Like 2

None of Sprint's devices actively make use of the 4x2, which can double throughput.

Devices don't have to support it if the phones are grouped in a manner to send out a signal when the phones only see 2 of the spacial streams and the other 2 are null. 

• Like 1

Sprint won't hit 1Gbps with on a device with the x16 and their current setup. They would be lucky to max out in perfect conditions at 600 Mbps.

(Current Max 2x2) 85Mbps x (Max increase due to QAM 64 to 256 if you are pushing it) ~1.4 x (going from 2 streams to 10 streams on the x16) 5 = ~600Mbps

They may change the timing and put out a press release about their "Top Speeds".

I don't see 4x4 UE as such a big deal if the network is already 4x2. It will not change the capacity of the site in question and therefor won't increase capacity to hard hit areas. In case anyone is interested the snapdragon 820 is limited to 6 spatial streams. Meaning 4x4 + 2x2 CA or 2x2 + 2x2 + 2x2 CA. It won't be 4x4 and full 3CA 20 Mhz at the same time.

Higher order MIMO does bring performance improvement because it improves race to idle, which means that resource blocks are more quickly freed for other devices to use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My house is in a gap between two sectors on band 41. The difference between band 41 and band 26 in my neighborhood is drastic for this reason. I could see as much as a 22 dbm difference.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I sit right in the middle between 2 B41 Clear wire sectors (walking to the back of my property makes my phone switch sectors). I could probably see the tower if there were no trees covering the LOS. While B26 (mid -70 dBm) and B25 (lower -80 dBm) originate from the same tower, they provide extremely good RSRP. Clearwire B41 unfortunately doesnt. B41 hovers around -115 dBm outdoors and drops out consistently.

B41 is just one of those things that not everyone will see at all times. Fortunately B25 works well enough for me.

Looks like Sprint matched T-Mobile's Promo for a Free iPhone 7 with device trade-in:

Pre-order 9/9: FREE iPhone 7 Get iPhone 7 for FREE when you trade in iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s and choose any Sprint rate plan.

$27.09/mo for 24 months for well-qualified customer with new-line activation or eligible upgrade. Free after monthly credits. Credits applied after device is received. Tax due at sale. If you cancel full balance due.

Sprint has become a lot more responsive in doing competitive offers.

• Like 4

Sprint stock just cracked the $7 mark.

$8 here we come!

Remember this?: Sprint extends Claure's contract until 2019, will give him 10M shares if he gets stock to $8

The 10 million shares will only be earned "upon the achievement of specified volume-weighted average prices" of Sprint's common stock during regular trading on the New York Stock Exchange over any 150-calendar day period during a four-year period from June 1, 2015, through May 31, 2019. In order to earn 100 percent of the 10 million shares, the volume-weighted average price must be at least $8 during that period. If the volume-weighted average stock price during the period goes above $8, Claure could earn more stock, but no more than 120 percent of the original award.

• Like 2

So I'm trying to understand the offer correctly. I have the iPhone for life (or forever) that allows me to get a new iPhone when the next one comes out. I have the 6s. I want to upgrade to the 7 plus 128 gb iPhone. So I'll only have to pay the difference from the 7 32 gb to the 7 plus 128 gb for the next 24 months once I trade in my current iPhone and upgrade?

Looks like Sprint matched T-Mobile's Promo for a Free iPhone 7 with device trade-in:

Pre-order 9/9: FREE iPhone 7 Get iPhone 7 for FREE when you trade in iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s and choose any Sprint rate plan.

Sprint has become a lot more responsive in doing competitive offers.

Reading the fine print, I'm assuming "phone trade in must be unlocked" blurb is just for those trading in phones from other carriers:

Free iPhone 7: Reqs 24 installment billing on iPhone 7 (32GB). Trade in of eligible device: iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus. Phone trade in must be unlocked, deactivated & all personal data deleted before trade-in and in good working order; device powers on and there are no broken, missing or cracked pieces. Device will not be returned. Higher memory configurations and iPhone 7+ will receive the same amount of trade-in credit and will not be free. Current customers most own trade in device.

• Like 1

Reading the fine print, I'm assuming "phone trade in must be unlocked" blurb is just for those trading in phones from other carriers:

No, I am pretty sure that means the lock screen must be disabled.

IE No lock screen or fingerprint lock.

Logged out and deactivated from icloud.

etc

I know. Two for the price of one.in other words I pay for one and the other one will be free.

Not entirely free as you'll have to give up an iPhone.

If you're on a legacy plan that still offers a 2 year agreement subsidy, you're better off just getting it through that since most iPhones 6 still sell for well over $200 in the marketplace (which is what the cost will likely be on 2 year agreement).