Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

As far as the AT&T plans go, I still don't see where the cost advantage is that great over Verizon. Considering their network isn't as great as Verizon's, I don't see why they don't cut prices or or offer more features to compete. I guess their main focus is pushing "unlimited" with bundling AT&T mobile service and DIRECTV.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There isn't much cost advantage of regular plans on AT&T in contrast to Verizon, but the Unlimited Data Plan is an amazing deal, as is the loyalty retention plan I think Gusherb mentioned months ago, which I think is 20gb for $100 monthly, then $15 per line, per month. Both of those deals are great, but especially the Unlimited Data Plan. The amazing part is signing up at no cost for a Freelancers Union membership and getting a 22% discount. Two lines on the UDP is $140 monthly, but with the 22% discount makes it around $110 monthly, which is $55 per line, per month. While the loyalty plan my mother and I had on T-Mobile was a bit lower-priced at $45 monthly per line x2 lines = $90 monthly, having the much much better service on AT&T is worth it. Besides, its $10 cheaper per line than using Cricket.

AT&T here in the Chicago are is amazing, and its getting better to where it likely will surpass Verizon around here once AT&T deploys its 10x10 AWS-3 spectrum. AT&T already has more spectrum around here than any other carrier, with the exception of Sprint. There is the 10x10 AWS-3 spectrum, then there is 15x15 of either AWS-1 or PCS, I don't remember - Gusherb mentioned this and I forgot. Perhaps Gus if you're reading this, please refresh my memory of this and of low-band spectrum AT&T has, which I think is either 5x5 or 10x10. The PCS spectrum if not 15x15, is 10x10. Then AT&T has 10x10 of band 30 (2300mhz spectrum). Anyways, its alot! Much more than T-Mobile, and if certain pricing plan arrangements are made successfully, the price is just slightly more than T-Mobile's loyalty plan, which only is available through very generous T-Mobile ER representatives.

In contrast with T-Mobile's current Unlimited Data plans though, AT&T even without the Freelancer's Union membership is a great deal, though at that rate I'd personally rather have Cricket and deal with the speed caps. However, with the 22% discount, AT&T is awesome, especially their network, at least here in the Chicago area.

There isn't much cost advantage of regular plans on AT&T in contrast to Verizon, but the Unlimited Data Plan is an amazing deal, as is the loyalty retention plan I think Gusherb mentioned months ago, which I think is 20gb for $100 monthly, then $15 per line, per month. Both of those deals are great, but especially the Unlimited Data Plan. The amazing part is signing up at no cost for a Freelancers Union membership and getting a 22% discount. Two lines on the UDP is $140 monthly, but with the 22% discount makes it around $110 monthly, which is $55 per line, per month. While the loyalty plan my mother and I had on T-Mobile was a bit lower-priced at $45 monthly per line x2 lines = $90 monthly, having the much much better service on AT&T is worth it. Besides, its $10 cheaper per line than using Cricket.

AT&T here in the Chicago are is amazing, and its getting better to where it likely will surpass Verizon around here once AT&T deploys its 10x10 AWS-3 spectrum. AT&T already has more spectrum around here than any other carrier, with the exception of Sprint. There is the 10x10 AWS-3 spectrum, then there is 15x15 of either AWS-1 or PCS, I don't remember - Gusherb mentioned this and I forgot. Perhaps Gus if you're reading this, please refresh my memory of this and of low-band spectrum AT&T has, which I think is either 5x5 or 10x10. The PCS spectrum if not 15x15, is 10x10. Then AT&T has 10x10 of band 30 (2300mhz spectrum). Anyways, its alot! Much more than T-Mobile, and if certain pricing plan arrangements are made successfully, the price is just slightly more than T-Mobile's loyalty plan, which only is available through very generous T-Mobile ER representatives.

In contrast with T-Mobile's current Unlimited Data plans though, AT&T even without the Freelancer's Union membership is a great deal, though at that rate I'd personally rather have Cricket and deal with the speed caps. However, with the 22% discount, AT&T is awesome, especially their network, at least here in the Chicago area.

Yes, AT&T's UDP is a good deal with a FAN discount. But you have to have DirecTV or U-Verse TV service, which many people don't have or don't want.

Remove that requirement and it will be a good deal.

• Like 2

Pipe dream.  Since 2013, Sprint's subscriber base has stabilized, and its network is now adequate; nowhere near bankruptcy.  T-Mobile US network and subscriber base have accelerated like a rocket.

Instead, I would like to see Sprint make strategic partnerships with DISH, Ligado Networks (former LightSquared), or cable carrier like Charter or Comcast.

First of all, Sprint is not going to be buying anybody. They're up to their neck in debt and they can't use stock since their stock has been in the dumps. SoftBank is also starting to run out of money/borrowing ability. So Sprint is in line to be acquired not acquire anybody. Maybe T-Mobile can acquire them.

• Like 3

Yes, AT&T's UDP is a good deal with a FAN discount. But you have to have DirecTV or U-Verse TV service, which many people don't have or don't want.

Remove that requirement and it will be a good deal.

True there are many people who don't want/need AT&T's Uverse or Directv television service. However, there are a lot of people with various cable television services, who may be considering reducing their television service, or cutting the cord altogether. Many of these people also have some form of in-home internet. If they qualify for Uverse in-home internet where they live, etc., AT&T's pricing on Uverse in-home internet is a great deal. So long as people do estimates on their usage in contrast to speeds they get with their service package.

In my experience having 18mbps, one single HD video stream using movie streaming services such as Netflix, etc.. take a great chunk of that data speed. I'd recommend no more than two simultaneous HD video streams using the 18mbps service package. People in a larger household up to four simultaneous video stream usage, would be fine using the 45mbps service package. Another great thing about Uverse in-home internet is the connection doesn't share with neighbors. So, even though your internet speed will be reduced by how many people n your household are using internet at the same time, at least it isn't reduced by your neighbors' usage.

From what I've seen/heard of common pricing being offered by the major in-home internet providers don't really offer anywhere as good of deal on in-home internet as AT&T does with Uverse. Cable companies offering 100mpbs+ may turn out better, but people first need to find out how much the cable is being split to among neighbors. If not bad, then probably go with the cable company, but in so many cases its split quite a lot, which makes it not very good in contrast with Uverse. So long as a person can lock-in $40 for 18mbps, or $60 for 45mbps, the price is right. With that and getting U-basic television at $20 monthly for those wanting minimal television, $20 can be made up well enough by the $200 Visa gift card AT&T offers when negotiated. Get the Freelancer's Union 22% discount, the price, service, basically the whole deal makes getting the television service requirement not bad at all

First of all, Sprint is not going to be buying anybody. They're up to their neck in debt and they can't use stock since their stock has been in the dumps. SoftBank is also starting to run out of money/borrowing ability. So Sprint is in line to be acquired not acquire anybody. Maybe T-Mobile can acquire them.

There was a time when I'd disagree with this. Nowadays though, no, I do agree. Sprint needs to focus their money not on making a potentially wasteful effort trying to acquire T-Mobile, not to mention costly. Better to spend the money on densifying their network, using the amazing amount of spectrum they have, particularly the band 41 spectrum.

However, I really do not want to see T-Mobile try to acquire Sprint. That would be very bad, especially if Masayoshi Son decides to sell Sprint to John Legere's control. While I'm not a supporter of Marcelo Claure, not because of anything he's done I don't like - just that I think he could and should do more as the CEO, I'm glad for Marcelo having a kind, professional attitude, unlike that loud-mouthed jackal John Legere.

Yet, I seriously doubt that is going to happen. While I have my hopes that some company were to be able to buy T-Mobile and get rid of Legere and I personally would like to see that be Sprint buying T-Mobile, I doubt that is going to happen. Much more likely, I think, AT&T is going to get T-Mobile eventually. Then unless Sprint can make a successful turnaround, I see it possibly selling off its assets, between AT&T and Verizon, while there will be many MVNO companies offering services on/between those two networks.

Maybe you quoted the wrong person?  I'm trying to see where he said Sprint would attempt to acquire anybody.

1. Per Softbank's latest earnings report, Sprint is actually worth more now than when they bought them.

2. Softbank is not close to running out of money or borrowing ability at all since pretty much all of their other investments are profitable. The only one that isn't is Sprint and Sprint is on their way to profitability as well.

3. T-Mobile, while they are doing well, is still not strong enough to buy a carrier of near equal size and handle all of the debt that comes along with it. 

• Like 3

As far as the AT&T plans go, I still don't see where the cost advantage is that great over Verizon. Considering their network isn't as great as Verizon's, I don't see why they don't cut prices or or offer more features to compete. I guess their main focus is pushing "unlimited" with bundling AT&T mobile service and DIRECTV.

At specific data amounts, AT&T's pricing beats Verizon (not taking into account line fees). But overall it seems to be not a better deal at all, especially considering that their network isn't as good like you said.

• Like 1

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/rip-data-plans.htm

John has shows his loyal following that the free for all is over and that you're going to be paying for this service.

It was funny when he tweeted "Surprise" lol.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

John has shows his loyal following that the free for all is over and that you're going to be paying for this service.

That's an interesting plan...

One big problem with this is that binge on is essentially required. If you want HD you need to pay another 25 dollars. Also they dropped the tethering option to 2g only. It seemed exciting at first but once you read the details it starts to sound not so much like an un-carrier plan

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

For a single unlimited line that's a good deal. $70? Shit, this is the sort of thing that tempts me even though T-Mobile doesn't yet have B12 or any coverage in Sparta.

• Like 3

That's an interesting plan...

It really is but honestly I do believe this is going to be where the trend goes. No so much as unlimited but the video aspect. You will be able to watch standard quality on the network but if you want HD it's going to be a additional fee.

Wait doesn't Sprint do that now with those unlimited test plan they have in certain markets. I think I read that somewhere.

70 a month for the first line, 50 a month for the second, I wonder where I seen this before ? (sarcasm). Oh and go over 26gb, you get prioritized.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

The best advantage I see is for the BYOD options. AT&T is also rated higher in customer service than Verizon. AT&T's coverage overall is very similar to Verizons, the only difference is a lot of AT&T's rural coverage is still edge/HSPA (no LTE.)

Well that's interesting......

Love the fact he challenges the duo lol. Great advertising.. People would fly to Tmo if the just did it at $40 a month. I get the point of more phones cheaper price, but if you can afford $40 for 4 why not just offer $40 for unlimited?? Marcelo can you hear me??? Purchase/lease a new iPhone7 or note 7 and offer a $40 ul plan ending sept 30th when it's done it's done.

• Like 1

Also, I just don't watch a lot of video on mobile. That said, if you're on the Note7 that T-Mobile and the other carriers are pimping out, I think a lot of people are going to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 480p. I can on the Note5 and that is a similar screen.

That said I doubt they upsell much video.

Maybe you quoted the wrong person?  I'm trying to see where he said Sprint would attempt to acquire anybody.

1. Per Softbank's latest earnings report, Sprint is actually worth more now than when they bought them.

2. Softbank is not close to running out of money or borrowing ability at all since pretty much all of their other investments are profitable. The only one that isn't is Sprint and Sprint is on their way to profitability as well.

3. T-Mobile, while they are doing well, is still not strong enough to buy a carrier of near equal size and handle all of the debt that comes along with it. 

T-Mobile is too cheap to even spend the money buying much of anything, let alone a wireless carrier. They only got MetroPCS likely because of the extra cash they got from AT&T. Had it not been for that, T-Mobile wouldn't be doing so well as they are now. It has very little to do with John Legere. I find it really funny seeing so many T-trolls on TmoNews praising John Legere for such wisdom and even suggesting T-Mobile may be trying to buy U.S. Cellular.

At specific data amounts, AT&T's pricing beats Verizon (not taking into account line fees). But overall it seems to be not a better deal at all, especially considering that their network isn't as good like you said.

Even though AT&Ts network may not be as good in contrast with Verizon, the price difference may be worth it for many people. It isn't such a difference as in contrast to T-Mobile.

• Like 1

Also if you look at Reddit, a lot of the natives aren't happy. I'm kind of surprised by that. Going to be interesting to see the debate over there.

I assume if John wanted to buy US Cellular, DT would get him the funds. DT doesn't see TMO-US as a must sell division anymore. Not that DT would mind selling off a portion now whereas prior it was all. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you look at Reddit, a lot of the natives aren't happy. I'm kind of surprised by that. Going to be interesting to see the debate over there.

The way I see it, they're now fully in violation of net-neutrality.  You want unthrottled data for certain services?  Pay up.

• Like 3

The way I see it, they're now fully in violation of net-neutrality.  You want unthrottled data for certain services?  Pay up.

While I like the idea/concept behind this new T-Mobile plan, I hate the execution of it. I'm going to post my opinions about it in the T-Mobile thread though, hoping this thread gets back to Sprint-related discussion. I know I've been guilty here going on a lot about AT&T.

• Like 1

He just dropped the 1 for $60 and 2/$100 Unlimited Freedom plan on Twitter that launches tomorrow. He also dropped some new Boost Mobile plans as well.

Where's my popcorn and soda...today has been lit so far with John and Marcelo.

• Like 4

He just dropped the 2/$100 on Twitter that launches tomorrow. Unsure of which one it is though. He also dropped some new Boost Mobile plans as well.

Where's my popcorn and soda...today has been lit so far with John and Marcelo.

It's actually neither one: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/766273474117640192

Unlimited talk, text and data just $100 for 2 lines; $160 for 4 lines

• Like 2