Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That is absolutely horrifying. Were you locked in a padded cell, foaming at the mouth, hands waving wildly about in the air when you wrote this?

what makes it so horrifying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what makes it so horrifying?

Are you being serious?

No one and no single thing nor entity should ever have that much control.  I guess you've never seen the Terminator series?  Nor read of the horrors of Hitler, Franco, Mussolini, Stalin and so on?  

Have you never heard of the phrase "power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely"?

It doesn't take a lot to imagine how such a scenario is bad for the common people.  

They wouldn't control the internet it's no different than att, Verizon sprint or t mobile. The hypothetical satellite network would be an addition to conventional isp both words and wireless. I have seen terminator series, I have studied hitters third Reich , Stalin communist party and so forth... In a way apple has significant power, both being the largest company in the world by market cap, and having captured nearly all the worldwide yearly profits of the smartphone sector. Nothing would force you or anyone else to use the hypothetical network nor would you have to buy an iPhone. This is only a logical next step for them, apples favors control of everything. They design their own system on a chip processor (heavily modified ARM). They opened their own retail stores, they have their own financing device payment system, they design their own software. They have a "walled garden" App Store. Apple likes to have complete control of user experience, eliminating the network partners would be the final piece of the puzzle. Now to compare that to the atrocities of hurlers third Reich, Stalin's crimes against humanity, or a fictional movie about robots trying to take over the world... Call me when apple starts doing anything that resembles what those men... Or building Iterminators, with little apple logos. I get you don't want anyone company to become that powerful but your kidding your self if you think companies don't control the world... What kind of clothes are you wearing, what have you eaten this week... What are you viewing this on and how did you access it? ( ; please excuse typos and poor grammar as I'm on a phone.

• Like 1

That would actually be hilarious if Apple bought all of the 600Mhz spectrum. They'd have the spectrum/cash to build out a nationwide network. Doubt they'll actually do it, though.

Well.... Buyout sprint, or be majority owner buy 600 rename it iwireless or imobile. Byod and sell Apple stuff on the cheap.

Bam!

Lol very true, But if Apple offered a $100 rebate or account credit people would come running

That isn't their style, they would charge a premium and make certain features only available on their network. Plus of course their MHz would be better than anyone elses, especially since they invented cellular phones.

• Like 1

No offense to Appple fans. Despite my using Android and generally being okay with it, I'm not tied to it nor to Google. However, I think if Apple were to buy up all of the 600mhz spectrum and create their own nationwide carrier, my guess is they would have it be an all-inclusive sort of deal, like mandatory leasing as part of the monthly rate, but with an exclusive, top-of-the-line model the other carriers don't get.

I think the pricing for an individual line might start at either $90 monthly, or $99 monthly, with a completely different way of pricing data than the other carriers do. I think besides unlimited talk&text being included, I can see them using speed caps for data priced cheaply, based on the more expensive initial all-inclusive rate of device and service offered together. Something like $99 monthly, 9mbps speed, 99¢ per gb. Where all the numbers match, etc.

• Like 1

No offense to Appple fans. Despite my using Android and generally being okay with it, I'm not tied to it nor to Google. However, I think if Apple were to buy up all of the 600mhz spectrum and create their own nationwide carrier, my guess is they would have it be an all-inclusive sort of deal, like mandatory leasing as part of the monthly rate, but with an exclusive, top-of-the-line model the other carriers don't get.

I think the pricing for an individual line might start at either $90 monthly, or $99 monthly, with a completely different way of pricing data than the other carriers do. I think besides unlimited talk&text being included, I can see them using speed caps for data priced cheaply, based on the more expensive initial all-inclusive rate of device and service offered together. Something like $99 monthly, 9mbps speed, 99¢ per gb. Where all the numbers match, etc.

Totally agree. If they bought sprint and got the 2.5 I could see unlimited at with tiered speed. Or data buckets prices on speed as you stated but definitely something different that would rock the top 2

Speaking of that maybe sprint should add features to separate themselves from others

• Like 1

Totally agree. If they bought sprint and got the 2.5 I could see unlimited at with tiered speed. Or data buckets prices on speed as you stated but definitely something different that would rock the top 2

Speaking of that maybe sprint should add features to separate themselves from others

One of my main interests in wireless and in my posting here on S4GRU, is rate planning, as I think simplifying rates is really important to do since they've become overly complicated in the industry. Even now, several Magentans on TmoNews are saying T-Mobile is making their rates too complicated, especially in matching with different features. It is a great big mess!

I advocate for a simple, low basic starting rate of $45 monthly, including taxes, and unlimited talk&text, with data being $1.50 per gb. I think it is both affordable and sensible, especially in bringing back value to individual plans, as this plan is focused at, while also well serving those with multiple lines.

Technically, I'd like to see a carrier use a flexible speed cap that provides the same speed to everyone connected at a site based on congestion level, rather than deprioritizing certain users. Apple would do great using such a system, if it were possible to implement and utilize. Otherwise, having a useable speed cap going along with price would be great too.

Considering all the increasing competition for the 600mhz, with the possibility of some new carriers, we'll see what kind of rate plan strategy they might implement.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/map/2015-2H?category=overall

More results coming in for Root Metrics in 2H 2015.  Unfortunately Sprint a lot of times has been in last.

Part of me wants to blame the phone, Note Edge.  My Note 4 has never seemed to lock on to band 41 as much as it should.  The Note Edge also has a different, CA enabled, chipset, so you probably can't compare the two, either.  The Note 4/Edge received average RF ratings.

However, Sprint in a tiny few markets did really well, like Denver they tied with Big Red and won the speed test.  So it might be an excuse to blame the phone.

• Like 1

Marcelo Announces "One Sprint" initiative: New management structure; New organizational structure; New hires.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article44696076.html

In a nutshell:

- Replicate Chicago's management structure, which has been a success apparently, in 19 markets.

- Divides the country into 4 regions, Puts a president in each of 19 key markets.

- Expected to be implemented early next year after the Holiday shopping season.

Northeast: Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. ... And one other city from what it looks like on that map (EDIT: It's Philadelphia)

South: Charlotte, N.C., Atlanta, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Miami

Midwest: Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City

West: Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle

Sounds good to me! Sprint has established a close working relationship with the Mayor and other local officials of Chicago and needs to do the same in other markets.

• Like 9

More results coming in for Root Metrics in 2H 2015.  Unfortunately Sprint a lot of times has been in last.

Part of me wants to blame the phone, Note Edge.  My Note 4 has never seemed to lock on to band 41 as much as it should.  The Note Edge also has a different, CA enabled, chipset, so you probably can't compare the two, either.  The Note 4/Edge received average RF ratings.

However, Sprint in a tiny few markets did really well, like Denver they tied with Big Red and won the speed test.  So it might be an excuse to blame the phone.

And the great T-Mobile decreased in speed... that cannot be true, there is something wrong with that report  :lol:

More results coming in for Root Metrics in 2H 2015. Unfortunately Sprint a lot of times has been in last.

Part of me wants to blame the phone, Note Edge. My Note 4 has never seemed to lock on to band 41 as much as it should. The Note Edge also has a different, CA enabled, chipset, so you probably can't compare the two, either. The Note 4/Edge received average RF ratings.

However, Sprint in a tiny few markets did really well, like Denver they tied with Big Red and won the speed test. So it might be an excuse to blame the phone.

Of the new markets, their were only three sprint was last in. The others they tied for 2nd or third. In those markets where they did finish last the gap wasn't that large. So, these new reports should be read as encouraging.

Marcelo Announces "One Sprint" initiative: New management structure; New organizational structure; New hires.

In a nutshell:

- Replicate Chicago's management structure, which has been a success apparently, in 19 markets.

- Divides the country into 4 regions, Puts a president in each of 19 key markets.

Northeast: Boston, New York, Washington, D.C.

Sounds good to me! Sprint has established a close working relationship with the Mayor and other local officials of Chicago and needs to do the same in other markets.

Holy congestion, batman!

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/aus-airport/2015/2H

• Like 1

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/honolulu-hi/2015/2H

This is a pretty poor representation of an entire state. They basically drove around downtown honolulu and then took the main tourist road out to the dole plantation and turned around. They didn't even make it over the pali. I'd never really looked at the maps before, would have been nice to see them cover at least one island entirely or even just all the main roads, let alone cover more than Oahu. If this is how it is nation wide than their reports are pretty worthless. Is this deliberate or just being cheap?

I've been saying for YEARS that the Austin airport has the worst Sprint performance I have ever seen. Yet I am within 5 minutes of the airport with 30/10 speeds. Sprint inside the airport even on the top story goes to 3g and is totally inexcusable. I sincerely hope someone at Sprint gets reamed out by Marcelo personally for the sad state they have let the airport remain for SO LONG.

• Like 4

I've been saying for YEARS that the Austin airport has the worst Sprint performance I have ever seen. Yet I am within 5 minutes of the airport with 30/10 speeds. Sprint inside the airport even on the top story goes to 3g and is totally inexcusable. I sincerely hope someone at Sprint gets reamed out by Marcelo personally for the sad state they have let the airport remain for SO LONG.

I looked back all the way to 1H of 2014 and it's been sub 1mbps speeds since. :unsure:

• Like 2

In a nutshell:

Northeast: Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. ... And one other city from what it looks like on that map.

It looks like Richmond, VA.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like Philadelphia and not DC.  Agreed the last one looks like Richmond.

- Trip

The author screwed up the Atlanta city mention by having it in the list twice. DC was listed by name... The last one could be Philly...

• Like 1