Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Any word on just how widespread deployment of small cells will be? Is it gonna be limited to "priority" markets or will secondary "back-burner" markets like mine see them in large quantities?

Oh, it'll be nationwide.  The rumor is up to 70K small cells.  That's a lot of additional coverage that Sprint could use, in all markets.

• Like 2

Oh, it'll be nationwide. The rumor is up to 70K small cells. That's a lot of additional coverage that Sprint could use, in all markets.

The 70000 comes from ATT's plans. The last numbers I saw with regards to sprint's plans were 30000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I feel like Charlotte is a big enough city where you'll see small cell deployment.

I'm mostly concerned about small cells facing the same supply constraints as 8T8Rs and literally all available units being directed to the same 5 or 6 markets per vendor region. Maybe I'm just paranoid. (I will note it has been many months since Sprint has done any hardware work here.)

I suppose since plans were finalized a few months ago the vendors should be stocking up as we speak.

• Like 1

The Facebook guy is planning on building. Wireless company??

Rama????

The 600 auction is heating up. Potential players

Tmo

Att

Vzw

Dish

Comcast

Rama

And some others of course

Smh

I see a lot of speculating going on. 

Sprint could use the spectrum but they don't have the cash. T-Mobile needs the spectrum but they might not get what they thought they'd get if too many speculators enter the fray. Comcast I fear what they'd do with that spectrum. The Duopoly? Ugh. Google intrigues me for no other reason than they'd have the money to do something really out of the box. 

• Like 3

I see a lot of speculating going on.

Sprint could use the spectrum but they don't have the cash. T-Mobile needs the spectrum but they might not get what they thought they'd get if too many speculators enter the fray. Comcast I fear what they'd do with that spectrum. The Duopoly? Ugh. Google intrigues me for no other reason than they'd have the money to do something really out of the box.

This auction is going to be interesting. I do expect sprint to enter auction if not they will partner with someone after. Verizon claims it may interfere with what they have now. Lol, everyone is jocking for position and JL thinks he is gonna be golden on 600.

Why would Tmo want a large slice if their network is running fine?

Building penetration, range I get it. But if the do get it wouldn't make sense to take off the 700 panels once 6 is up?

I think a lot of companies are secretly looking at the cost. Even vzw is thinking 5g and refarm to lte vs 10 billion + just for more spectrum- not to mention how much to rollout. I would love for sprint to get some, however that is a hefty price tag. By the time Tmo gets it deployed sprints network should be completed.

• Like 3

I'm just going to throw this out there, but remember when it was rumored Apple was going to get into the MNVO market?

They are sitting on $200+ billion in cash reserves.  They could easily scoop up all the 600 MHZ available.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but if for any of the existing cellular providers, what kind of tower equipment upgrades would be required to support 600 MHZ?

I'm just going to throw this out there, but remember when it was rumored Apple was going to get into the MNVO market?

They are sitting on $200+ billion in cash reserves.  They could easily scoop up all the 600 MHZ available.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but if for any of the existing cellular providers, what kind of tower equipment upgrades would be required to support 600 MHZ?

That would actually be hilarious if Apple bought all of the 600Mhz spectrum.  They'd have the spectrum/cash to build out a nationwide network.  Doubt they'll actually do it, though.

• Like 1

New panels on each tower required for 600Mhz. A lot of work to deploy.

That would actually be hilarious if Apple bought all of the 600Mhz spectrum.  They'd have the spectrum/cash to build out a nationwide network.  Doubt they'll actually do it, though.

I have a feeling if a non-cellular company purchases the spectrum then they will most likely lease it out, at least at first.

But just to speculate further, if Apple were buy the spectrum, they would most likely build it out to use in some sort of a interconnected ecosystem internet of things solution.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what the cost would be if Apple decided to become a wireless provider. Something like 200 minutes /mo, 1000 texts,  and 1gb data, no roaming, for $129/mo.

• Like 3

I can't imagine what the cost would be if Apple decided to become a wireless provider. Something like 200 minutes /mo, 1000 texts, and 1gb data, no roaming, for $129/mo.

But it would be the iNetwork, and people would line up to give them their money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

all of the 600Mhz would not be enough to build a nation wide network, or even a regional one... imagine if sprint didn't have band 41... think of the capacity nightmare, or the density required for capacity.  Mark my words apple will not build out a traditional land based cellular network, its not something they would be interested in.  The margins are to low, and the scale is to large. think about this. apple launches a low earth orbit satellite network with cellular fall back, imagine an apple net (or whatever they call it)  that covers every single inch of land and water on earth will a clear view of the sky (maybe even small buildings). Think of the possibilities, with apples size, scale, volume of phones and cash pile they could develop and deploy an exclusive and proprietary world wide network just for Iphones, imagine how that could change the world as we know it...

http://gizmodo.com/who-will-win-the-internet-space-race-1680494608    

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/02/apples-satellite-phone-patent-could-technically-apply-to-tv.html

all of the 600Mhz would not be enough to build a nation wide network, or even a regional one... imagine if sprint didn't have band 41... think of the capacity nightmare, or the density required for capacity.  Mark my words apple will not build out a traditional land based cellular network, its not something they would be interested in.  The margins are to low, and the scale is to large. think about this. apple launches a low earth orbit satellite network with cellular fall back, imagine an apple net (or whatever they call it)  that covers every single inch of land and water on earth will a clear view of the sky (maybe even small buildings). Think of the possibilities, with apples size, scale, volume of phones and cash pile they could develop and deploy an exclusive and proprietary world wide network just for Iphones, imagine how that could change the world as we know it...

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/02/apples-satellite-phone-patent-could-technically-apply-to-tv.html

I think that would be called skInet

Oh Oh, somebody did something wrong.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16786

In the name of rapid deployment. Gotta make sure we hit that 300 mil pop by the end of the year.

$60k is equal to $0.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Oh, somebody did something wrong.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16786

Take the $60,000 out of John Legere's corporate wardrobe allowance.  He has to scale back to weathered jeans and pink T-shirts from now on.  Wait, he already does that.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Of course it could be more considering some people were standing there by antennas, next thing you know, T-Mobile slapped with a lawsuit by someone claiming rf exposure radiation sickness.

Take the $60,000 out of John Legere's corporate wardrobe allowance.  He has to scale back to weathered jeans and pink T-shirts from now on.  Wait, he already does that.

;)

AJ

He should cut back on those fancy, celebrity hair stylists, too.  *tee hee hee*

• Like 2

That is absolutely horrifying.  Were you locked in a padded cell, foaming at the mouth, hands waving wildly about in the air when you wrote this?

• Like 1