Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Magenta is announcing that family plans have no shared data, and double data for family plans.  So instead of 2GB for the whole family, each person will get 2GB.

Didn't they already do that? T-Mobile's current Family Plan promotion already gives each phone their own 10GB.

Didn't they already do that? T-Mobile's current Family Plan promotion already gives each phone their own 10GB.

I'm at work and I can't play the live-stream, but from the live-blogs, it seems that they've cut the 10GB/4 line for $120 down to 6GB/4lines for $120.  Their SimpleChoice plans data doubled.

they also dropped the high speed data on the base plan from 2.5 gig to 1 gig. (not sure is this is new or not, i know it was 2.5 a few months ago)

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/data-messaging-plans/overview/

boost is still a better deal, so long as you pay your bill every month with auto pay, and don't stream alot of music.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/monthly-phone-plans/

This change essentially raise the price of the plan

• Like 1

Instead of turning the compression on as Sprint previously intended to do with that 600kbps video cap that drew the ire of users... and a portion of the Internet it seemed, T-Mobile is selling 480p video as a benefit.... In fact, it's automatically on by default unless you turn it off under your account settings... at which point your high speed data allotment is used.

One interesting thing is for tablets and tethering. Apparently, the BingeOn usage doesn't count against your Tablet Data Plan or your Hotspot usage either...

Its abundantly clear this is a F*%K YOU!! to net neutrality! I cant believe im on the side of the verge on anything, but this is definitely a biggie!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9706296/t-mobile-binge-on-streaming-net-neutrality-problem-john-legere

Wow, roasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Its abundantly clear this is a F*%K YOU!! to net neutrality! I cant believe im on the side of the verge on anything, but this is definitely a biggie!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/9706296/t-mobile-binge-on-streaming-net-neutrality-problem-john-legere

You can print the full headline from The Verge -- just not the full article.  Even though it normally would fall outside the S4GRU posting guidelines, the headline itself is newsworthy.

Courtesy of The Verge:

T-Mobile is writing the manual on how to fuck up the internet

Yes, John Legere, it is a net neutrality problem

AJ

• Like 17

Wow, roasted.

You can print the full headline from The Verge -- though not the full article. Even though it normally would fall outside the S4GRU posting guidelines, the headline itself is newsworthy.

Courtesy of The Verge:

AJ

Wow...Great to see the Verge criticize John Legere! [emoji106]
  • Like 9

Wow...Great to see the Verge criticize John Legere! [emoji106]

Any intelligent criticism of John Legere is certainly welcome!

He is extremely overrated and given too much credit for doing the things he has done that manage to have a positive effect. Although, mostly it is stuff that typically is bad for the industry and is anti-consumer.

He has caused rates to rise significantly with the end of subsisidies through contracts , yet he conveniently raised the lower non-subsidy rate back up to the rate when subsidies were offered, but no discount this time around. The rate plans now are much more expensive for the individual line in contrast with their family plans.

There are many other issues I could mention, though I won't right now.

• Like 5

AJ: 'Hey you, whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!'

"Hey, hey, hey!  You gotta do it!  Do what you want!"

Robert, you're disenfranchising me.  Don't interrupt me while I'm dancing to the music, looking at the pretty colors, and hearing what I want to hear.

AJ

• Like 1

Robbiati has been a key voice in Sprint’s plans to cut $2.5 billion in operating and equipment costs, though he joined the company only a few months ago. He said all parts of the business – billing, marketing, sales commissions, customer care, roaming charges paid to other carriers – are getting scrutinized.

Via http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article44234982.html

I wonder what kind of roaming changes are being made?  Perhaps part of NGN is to fill the holes that are currently Verizon-Only territory? 

I wonder what kind of roaming changes are being made? Perhaps part of NGN is to fill the holes that are currently Verizon-Only territory?

T-Mobile only allows roaming out of footprint. Sprint currently allows roaming in footprint. Allegedly, Sprint pays a lot for in footprint roaming. So if you're in Dallas or Dubuque and you find a place without Sprint service (inside a building, down along a creek, behind a big barn, etc.), you will fall back to Verizon or some other CDMA operator.

T-Mobile doesn't allow this. In fact, Legere and company was just bragging the other day that they save $500M on roaming per year over Sprint. Money that they are able to put back into their network to expand. T-Mobile only allows roaming outside their coverage areas. And T-Mobile has less generous roaming limits. My Tmo postpaid account has only 50MB roaming per month.

I expect that if Sprint cuts roaming costs further, it will be to cut in footprint roaming and maybe reduce roaming data allotments to be more in line with T-Mobile. If Legere's numbers are correct about Sprint's roaming costs, that could get them 25% of the amount they need to cut right there.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 7

T-Mobile only allows roaming out of footprint. Sprint currently allows roaming in footprint. Allegedly, Sprint pays a lot for in footprint roaming. So if you're in Dallas or Dubuque and you find a place without Sprint service (inside a building, down along a creek, behind a big barn, etc.), you will fall back to Verizon or some other CDMA operator.

T-Mobile doesn't allow this. In fact, Legere and company was just bragging the other day that they save $500M on roaming per year over Sprint. Money that they are able to put back into their network to expand. T-Mobile only allows roaming outside their coverage areas. And T-Mobile has less generous roaming limits. My Tmo postpaid account has only 50MB roaming per month.

I expect that if Sprint cuts roaming costs further, it will be to cut in footprint roaming and maybe reduce roaming data allotments to be more in line with T-Mobile. If Legere's numbers are correct about Sprint's roaming costs, that could get them 25% of the amount they need to cut right there.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Hopefully they do it by region or places where ngn densification are complete first.

The more I think about it...... Sprint has made HUGE strides however a lot of little things and some big things just make me smh. I feel like they are jumping around still never getting something truly finished.

I believe masa has an out plan. If he is truly staying why not bring his Japanese experts over put the cash in and put the foot to the floor with a massive rollout?

I understand things take time but small cells should be popping up all over the place. Every shopping plaza, mall, downtown metro area should have them already. Get those up fast make it look like you have coverage. Put the macro up later and take down the small cells afterwards if called for.

Hopefully they do it by region or places where ngn densification are complete first.

The more I think about it...... Sprint has made HUGE strides however a lot of little things and some big things just make me smh. I feel like they are jumping around still never getting something truly finished.

I believe masa has an out plan. If he is truly staying why not bring his Japanese experts over put the cash in and put the foot to the floor with a massive rollout?

I understand things take time but small cells should be popping up all over the place. Every shopping plaza, mall, downtown metro area should have them already. Get those up fast make it look like you have coverage. Put the macro up later and take down the small cells afterwards if called for.

It all takes time and careful planning, just throwing money at the network is not an efficient way of doing things at the end of the day sprint/softbank are businesses they need to have a return on the network investment.  just throwing in money without a plan is not going to work, we can only hope a plan is in place and equipment is ordered for the NGN project... :fingers:   if marcelo isn't to busy burning Mobile Citizen and Mobile Beacon HQ to the ground.  :secret:  :frantic:  :bang:

• Like 2

It all takes time and careful planning, just throwing money at the network is not an efficient way of doing things at the end of the day sprint/softbank are businesses they need to have a return on the network investment.  just throwing in money without a plan is not going to work, we can only hope a plan is in place and equipment is ordered for the NGN project... :fingers:   if marcelo isn't to busy burning Mobile Citizen and Mobile Beacon HQ to the ground.  :secret:  :frantic:  :bang:

I agree and I am thankful that they've got a plan now, but Softbank bought Sprint in late 2013.  They've had more than 2 years to start planning this.  Masa's reluctance towards investing into Sprint and wanting to sell has delayed things considerably.

• Like 2

I agree and I am thankful that they've got a plan now, but Softbank bought Sprint in late 2013. They've had more than 2 years to start planning this. Masa's reluctance towards investing into Sprint and wanting to sell has delayed things considerably.

if I remember correctly the initial plan was to merge with t mobile... When that failed it was back to the drawing board. Now that NGN planned the rollout should start early 2016, the network engineer I have talked to expected the expansion to go fast once it starts. Apparently they are using wireless Black Haul to start with on small cells, so think a macro tower with a third carrier deployed exclusively for small cells.... That's the way I understand it any way, some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Any word on just how widespread deployment of small cells will be? Is it gonna be limited to "priority" markets or will secondary "back-burner" markets like mine see them in large quantities?

I feel like Charlotte is a big enough city where you'll see small cell deployment.

• Like 2