Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

He's clearly not been with Sprint before, or in a long time. Every single person I know that used to have Sprint say nothing but bad things about them. So the word of mouth thing would only be working with people that haven't used them before. Maybe several years from now when the good word outweighs the bad then it'll start "converting" all the bad mouthers over to good mouthers.

If anyone knows anyone that has or used to have Sprint then they'll probably try to talk them out of it.

I personally won't recommend any carrier, but will tell them

to try it, and present as many facts as they'll listen to.

Which markets.

How could it be BS when that's my experience and observation? Everything I said in that post is based on observation and experience. I'm not really making a blanket statement or putting words in anyone's mouth either.

Perhaps it's this that you didn't like: "If anyone knows anyone that has or used to have Sprint then they'll probably try to talk them out of it." Well let me clarify, again that applies based on my experience and observation. I don't know anyone with Sprint that actually likes them, at least enough to recommend it. Except of course my National Sales rep contact who is also a lifelong family friend. She would never say a bad thing about her employer but she also tells it like it is.

Actually, "If anyone knows anyone . . ." is exactly the phrase I object to.  It is not based on your personal experience, but upon you extrapolating your personal experience onto other people ("anyone").  I certainly respect your personal experience, and you have reported it abundantly in the past. 

Based on your experience, it seems that Sprint in northwest Indiana is lagging.  However, not everyone who has had Sprint in Chicagoland has had the same negative results you have had. For example, I have observed a lot of territory on the west, northwest, and north suburbs, and in the City itself, and have had consistently good results, especially in the past year or so.

So all that I am saying is that there are parts of the region which support your personal observations, and there are parts (probably many more) which don't.  People in this region who want the absolute best phone and data coverage probably should not choose Sprint, but should consider Verizon -- and be prepared to pay a lot of money for their choice.  I can't think of any good reason to pick AT&T or T-Mobile hereabouts.  But I can certainly recommend Sprint.

• Like 1

Although I could be wrong about this, I think gusherb meant to reflect Sprint's reputation. While Sprint certainly is getting much better, there still is a bad repution Sprint has which of course isn't true of Sprint anymore. There very well could be a greater likelihood of a person meeting someone who doesn't condemn Sprint. However, as I'm thinking what gusherb probably meant, is people asking around for advice about Sprint, is quite likely to hear about that bad, yet inconsistent reputation which no longer is valid.

I actually did this back in the Spring this year, asking people what they thought of certain carriers around here in Chicago. Most people told me they had AT&T and liked it, a few had Verizon and liked it too, except for the costs, no one had anything much to say about T-Mobile, but unfortunately quite a few told me not to go with Sprint. Some said it as a general statement of what they heard, others told me it very adamantly, as they had or knew people who've had very bad experiences with Sprint.

Again, the bad reputation certainly isn't guaranteed to be passed on, though Sprint certainly does have the trouble of that to deal with. Certainly this will change over time as more people continue having better experiences with Sprint.

• Like 1

Although I could be wrong about this, I think gusherb meant to reflect Sprint's reputation. While Sprint certainly is getting much better, there still is a bad repution Sprint has which of course isn't true of Sprint anymore. There very well could be a greater likelihood of a person meeting someone who doesn't condemn Sprint. However, as I'm thinking what gusherb probably meant, is people asking around for advice about Sprint, is quite likely to hear about that bad, yet inconsistent reputation which no longer is valid.

When we were watching Superbowl last year and the Sprint commercial came on, I asked my cousin how she liked the commercial "I liked it but isn't Sprint the worst provider?"  Technically, she is not wrong when referencing Sprint to overall network size, but the fact that Sprint has a negative perception for someone that isn't even savvy in the tech world really shows that they need to work on their branding.

• Like 4

Less than a month until tons of people (myself included) have their waived line fees go away.

I hope Sprint starts getting some temporary staff for the inevitable "WHY IS MY BILL X*$15 HIGHER? RIPOFF!" calls when the January bills go out.

• Like 4

Less than a month until tons of people (myself included) have their waived line fees go away.

I hope Sprint starts getting some temporary staff for the inevitable "WHY IS MY BILL X*$15 HIGHER? RIPOFF!" calls when the January bills go out.

Let's just hope that when though who signed up were told by the reps that the line fees were waved for x amount of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My free year of service for one line is ending too.  Which means our bill just jumped $30/month.  Still not terrible, because ED1500 is great price.  But the price comes to about $52/line now, still includes subsidy which isn't bad.

Let's just hope that when though who signed up were told by the reps that the line fees were waved for x amount of months.

I thought that fee was waived for as long as you stay on the plan?

I thought that fee was waived for as long as you stay on the plan?

I think sprint had a second wave of that promotion and that was the new perk of it for those who signed up under that second window. Not too sure though.

Well don't forget, in about 6 days, those still hanging on to Verizon unlimited accounts going to see a $20 hike in there bills to and being that they aren't on a contract anymore can't do anything about it.

• Like 4

I'm not blown away with Sprint in Chicago. The service is the same as it is in my hometown. I didn't see those crazy speeds but service is good overall.

I don't see too much promo for sprint as I do T-Mobile in Chicago. Everywhere I turn its T-Mobile somewhere

I was in Chicago a little over a week ago and didn't see too much T-Mobile advertising. Was expecting more actually. I saw an ad in the Red Line terminal for Sprint as well as this full bus ad.

post-13665-0-32994300-1447108614_thumb.jpg

I've seen some sprint prompt but they were all on electric billboards that didn't stay visible for no more than a few seconds. Honestly if I lived I Chicago and wasn't up on who's the best carrier I would have thought that T-Mobile was one of the best based on the amount of billboards and etc that is posted.

I would have to give the network crown to Verizon in Chicago by far. Only had to use my Verizon hot spot a couple of times for work, but it was flying while T-Mobile and ATT were either weak signal or poor capacity. 

On my way to the airport me and my über driver was talking about phone carriers. He said he likes AT&T but it has it moments. I mentioned all the T-Mobile promo and he said that they have to be paying a shit load for the amount of campaigning they are doing. I told him I had Sprint and he had nothing bad to say. He said Sprint has come a long way in Chicago and was even considering switching cause he's heard good things about them plus it's cheaper.

So in essence, Sprint is I guess letting word of mouth in Chicago spread about the network quality where as T-Mobile is posting billboards wherever they can to get the attention of people in a " hey look at me, what about me" approach.

T-Mobile only failed me in a handful of locations. ORD was completely overwhelmed. DAS worked decently with speeds ~3-5 in each direction. Step outside and the macro layers were swamped. ATT was also swamped, and had no data capacity for much longer than T-Mobile leaving ORD on I-190. 

Willis (Sears) Tower had no coverage in the below ground lobby for the Sky Deck. ATT was HSPA DAS. At 103 stories up, there were DAS antennas, ATT was a heavily loaded/noisy, but usable, LTE layer, T-Mobile was a heavily loaded/noisy HSPA layer with EDGE fallback. The DAS antennas were not arranged in a logical manner. Sky deck is a square with antennas in all 4 corners. The problem was that the antennas are aimed into two corridors, with 2 sides of the square uncovered, and 2 sides with antennas aimed at each other. I'll also toss the Hancock Tower in with this, again with a very directional/loaded HSPA/EDGE DAS node in the Sky Lounge Bar.

The other location I had issues with coverage was at the Adler Planetarium. Both ATT and T-Mobile had virtually no service in the lower levels. ATT was a bit stronger as would be expected. Overall I was pleased with T-Mobile service in general. It tended to be more reliable in data scenarios than ATT in the Loop. Those 3 instances were the only real time I had issues of consequence. Conversely, Wrigley Field had excellent service. 30+/30+ all around Wrigley on T-Mobile, had never seen 30+ Mbps up, let alone consistent. 

Just figured I'd throw some experience with the other carriers in there. Wish I had had time to make it to the Adams St entrance to Union Station. Heard thats pretty impressive.

• Like 1

I was in Chicago a little over a week ago and didn't see too much T-Mobile advertising. Was expecting more actually. I saw an ad in the Red Line terminal for Sprint as well as this full bus ad.

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 4.35.18 PM.jpg

I would have to give the network crown to Verizon in Chicago by far. Only had to use my Verizon hot spot a couple of times for work, but it was flying while T-Mobile and ATT were either weak signal or poor capacity.

T-Mobile only failed me in a handful of locations. ORD was completely overwhelmed. DAS worked decently with speeds ~3-5 in each direction. Step outside and the macro layers were swamped. ATT was also swamped, and had no data capacity for much longer than T-Mobile leaving ORD on I-190.

Willis (Sears) Tower had no coverage in the below ground lobby for the Sky Deck. ATT was HSPA DAS. At 103 stories up, there were DAS antennas, ATT was a heavily loaded/noisy, but usable, LTE layer, T-Mobile was a heavily loaded/noisy HSPA layer with EDGE fallback. The DAS antennas were not arranged in a logical manner. Sky deck is a square with antennas in all 4 corners. The problem was that the antennas are aimed into two corridors, with 2 sides of the square uncovered, and 2 sides with antennas aimed at each other. I'll also toss the Hancock Tower in with this, again with a very directional/loaded HSPA/EDGE DAS node in the Sky Lounge Bar.

The other location I had issues with coverage was at the Adler Planetarium. Both ATT and T-Mobile had virtually no service in the lower levels. ATT was a bit stronger as would be expected. Overall I was pleased with T-Mobile service in general. It tended to be more reliable in data scenarios than ATT in the Loop. Those 3 instances were the only real time I had issues of consequence. Conversely, Wrigley Field had excellent service. 30+/30+ all around Wrigley on T-Mobile, had never seen 30+ Mbps up, let alone consistent.

Just figured I'd throw some experience with the other carriers in there. Wish I had had time to make it to the Adams St entrance to Union Station. Heard thats pretty impressive.

I just left Chicago I had both my sprint and T-Mobile iPhones and I agree at O'Hare T-Mobile was a mess sprint was fine. But overall though out the city in my experience they were on the same level. At skydeck I saw edge as I got higher Sprint juggled between lte and 3G but unusable.

Maybe I was in the wrong place at the wrong time but I only saw one billboard for Sprint. I was mostly flooded with T-Mobile. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. The most of it came from one of the inside train stations. And the undergrad stations with the poles and magenta lighting 1158f144e9f2eca1873d791fbcfcffab.jpg781f6a59ec0714e83054edf5b9bfac77.jpg

• Like 2

Actually, "If anyone knows anyone . . ." is exactly the phrase I object to.  It is not based on your personal experience, but upon you extrapolating your personal experience onto other people ("anyone").  I certainly respect your personal experience, and you have reported it abundantly in the past. 

Based on your experience, it seems that Sprint in northwest Indiana is lagging.  However, not everyone who has had Sprint in Chicagoland has had the same negative results you have had. For example, I have observed a lot of territory on the west, northwest, and north suburbs, and in the City itself, and have had consistently good results, especially in the past year or so.

So all that I am saying is that there are parts of the region which support your personal observations, and there are parts (probably many more) which don't.  People in this region who want the absolute best phone and data coverage probably should not choose Sprint, but should consider Verizon -- and be prepared to pay a lot of money for their choice.  I can't think of any good reason to pick AT&T or T-Mobile hereabouts.  But I can certainly recommend Sprint.

I actually did this back in the Spring this year, asking people what they thought of certain carriers around here in Chicago. Most people told me they had AT&T and liked it, a few had Verizon and liked it too, except for the costs, no one had anything much to say about T-Mobile, but unfortunately quite a few told me not to go with Sprint. Some said it as a general statement of what they heard, others told me it very adamantly, as they had or knew people who've had very bad experiences with Sprint.

Again, the bad reputation certainly isn't guaranteed to be passed on, though Sprint certainly does have the trouble of that to deal with. Certainly this will change over time as more people continue having better experiences with Sprint.

Ok does it look better if I put it like this?:  "If anyone I know, knows anyone . . ." 

My points sometimes don't come across as intended and rather come across as making me sound opinionated and trollish. Usually why it's best to take anything heard over the internet lightly until further questioned... Because points don't come across as easily. Anyway, Arysyn understrood what I tried to get across. People I know pretty much all hate Sprint based on the old network and would talk anyone out of it that was considering them. I try to level the playing field by talking about the improvements, but I don't like to give any more credit then is deserved either as that could easily backfire if they try it and happen to work/live in one of the several places that is still some sort of dead spot near me. 

Which leads me to this: The network isn't bad in my corner of the suburbs, or the part of Chicago I spend my time in, but it does trail everyone else, including T-Mobile (for the most part). Verizon and T-Mobile are better choices here. AT&T is a decent choice too, especially since the latest upgrades they've done. Sprint is ok... 

I just left Chicago I had both my sprint and T-Mobile iPhones and I agree at O'Hare T-Mobile was a mess sprint was fine. But overall though out the city in my experience they were on the same level. At skydeck I saw edge as I got higher Sprint juggled between lte and 3G but unusable.

Maybe I was in the wrong place at the wrong time but I only saw one billboard for Sprint. I was mostly flooded with T-Mobile. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. The most of it came from one of the inside train stations. And the undergrad stations with the poles and magenta lighting 1158f144e9f2eca1873d791fbcfcffab.jpg781f6a59ec0714e83054edf5b9bfac77.jpg

Your experience with the advertising pretty much reflects mine. T-Mobile has billboards in random spots all over the city. I've seen more Sprint advertising along the expressways. 

• Like 4

I doubt Sprint will let it drop off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

https://t.co/JNNU589Sfa looks like Tmo music freedom style plan comes to Virgin mobile

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

they also dropped the high speed data on the base plan from 2.5 gig to 1 gig. (not sure is this is new or not, i know it was 2.5 a few months ago)

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/data-messaging-plans/overview/

boost is still a better deal, so long as you pay your bill every month with auto pay, and don't stream alot of music.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/monthly-phone-plans/

I know I'm continuing in my mood today of T-Mobile sarcasm, in light of this Uncarrier 10 event.

However seriously, what is with the people they get to post in their ads, even these billboards. They don't look normal, or even real. Either that, or the photography is just horrendous.

I know I'm continuing in my mood today of T-Mobile sarcasm, in light of this Uncarrier 10 event.

However seriously, what is with the people they get to post in their ads, even these billboards. They don't look normal, or even real. Either that, or the photography is just horrendous.

Are you referring to the individuals they photograph while they're in mid-jump? It's not something I'd choose for marketing either, but it appears to get the message across.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

That is what multicultural Millenials do all day -- jump and bebop around in their skinny jeans.

AJ

• Like 12

Are you referring to the individuals they photograph while they're in mid-jump? It's not something I'd choose for marketing either, but it appears to get the message across.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I mean the people used in these ads themselves don't appear real. It looks like they took some mannequins and placed them on some sort of electronically activated spring trampoline.

In the one with the military person, I can't tell if they are real either. Or they took a real person and sliced their image up to create unnatural senses of depth. The photos don't look natural and real at all.

I've certainly seen far worse advertisements, I'll admit, and the message is there, but the use of these people, real or not, just doesn't make sense/mix well with the message. Just something about it, is very creepy. Especially in contrast to the much more natural/real Carly ads, or the ones long ago with Catherine Zeta Jones.

That is what multicultural Millenials do all day -- jump and bebop around in their skinny jeans.

AJ

Sometimes it makes me want to leave the lands where this kind of popular culture tend to flourish. Perhaps for me to go tour the Italian countryside, find myself a monastery, and become a monk.

• Like 3

Magenta is announcing that family plans have no shared data, and double data for family plans.  So instead of 2GB for the whole family, each person will get 2GB.

He did poke fun at Sprint a couple of times..  for one iPhone forever..  or until we go out of business.  And that Sprint will copy what they do by tomorrow.

As predicted..  video streaming is now free.  Is optimized for DVD quality.  He claims proprietary.

• Like 2