Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I would agree.  This is a great start. Most likely still pushing iphones from the 2011 deal.

Probably so! That was a $15.5 Billion commitment over 4 years, starting in 2011. [see: http://allthingsd.com/20120807/sprints-chief-iphone-was-worth-the-billions/]

Of course, Marcelo could have renegotiated the terms when he met with Tim Cook in Cupertino on his first day as Sprint CEO last August.

• Like 1

Anything like this coming down the pike for Android phones? I am not complaining about the iPhone program here, just saying that it would be nice to expand it a little.

There was the Unlimited Plus Plan for the Samsung Galaxy S6 which allowed for annual upgrades.

$80/month including the device. Anyone here hop on that?

There was the Unlimited Plus Plan for the Samsung Galaxy S6 which allowed for annual upgrades.

$80/month including the device. Anyone here hop on that?

Is that available for the Note 5 and GS6e+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real S4GRUers do not lease and turn back in their handsets -- whether iPhone or Android.  No, they treat them with care, then preserve all of them for display in their homes or bequest to the Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones.  They are historical artifacts.

AJ

You joke, but for some on here this is actually sadly true. 

Anything like this coming down the pike for Android phones? I am not complaining about the iPhone program here, just saying that it would be nice to expand it a little. 

I could have swore I read on reddit that there is a Samsung version coming with a screenshot of the ad.

TS

How many Sprint customers are still using iPhone 5s handsets or older, which do not support LTE B41?  While I am an Android user, I hope this iPhone Forever program significantly increases triband penetration (w/ the iPhone 6) as well as carrier aggregation (w/ the iPhone 6s).

• Like 8

How many Sprint customers are still using iPhone 5s handsets or older, which do not support LTE B41?  While I am an Android user, I hope this iPhone Forever program significantly increases triband penetration (w/ the iPhone 6) as well as carrier aggregation (w/ the iPhone 6s).

Anecdotally, I know a ton of people that have gotten 5cs over the past year because it's the "free w/ 2-year contract" iPhone.

• Like 4

Is that available for the Note 5 and GS6e+?

Not that I'm aware. It was specifically for the S6. The iPhone is uniquely suited for these kinds of programs because it retains a high resale value. Combine that with BrightStar's ability (now as part of SoftBank) to take in and repurpose phones at cost, and you have a great recipe.
  • Like 2

Not that I'm aware. It was specifically for the S6. The iPhone is uniquely suited for these kinds of programs because it retains a high resale value. Combine that with BrightStar's ability (now as part of SoftBank) to take in and repurpose phones at cost, and you have a great recipe.

I get that but to play Devil's Advocate, don't Galaxy S phones hold value as well?

I get that but to play Devil's Advocate, don't Galaxy S phones hold value as well?

For a quick answer: Not even in the same ballpark.

https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-6-sprint/us

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-6-sprint/us

Iphone 6 was released September 2014 while the Galaxy S6 was released in April 2015 and the Iphone STILL sells for more than the Galaxy. The difference is even more pronounced when you go to older iphones vs older galaxy models.

• Like 7

iPhone's badly need some downward pressure on prices....Samsung devices sell for premium price tags for 2 months, then they drop. You will still pay the launch price for an iPhone 6 right now.

iPhone's badly need some downward pressure on prices....Samsung devices sell for premium price tags for 2 months, then they drop. You will still pay the launch price for an iPhone 6 right now.

I also think the prices for an iPhone never drops until a year later is because of its demand. Apple is still selling millions of phones every quarter. Classic case of don't fix what's not broken. But they can ease up on price some.

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

So tmonews (yes I know) posted the article of sprints iPhone forever option. People posted that sprint needs to get its own ideals and I seen some comments that sprint started the leasing of phones and some people just won't admit that there beloved T-Mobile took a ideal from sprint.

Last time I checked from the horses mouth this article came out.

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-ceo-says-hes-considering-a-leasing-program-for-devices/

Edited by derrph
  • Like 2

So tmonews (yes I know) posted the article of sprints iPhone forever option. People posted that sprint needs to get its own ideals and I seen some comments that sprint started the leasing of phones and some people just won't admit that there beloved T-Mobile took a ideal from sprint.

Last time I checked from the horses mouth this article came out. http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-ceo-says-hes-considering-a-leasing-program-for-devices/

My eyes hurt from reading the comments.

They're bad... "lol photoshop" bad.

• Like 1

My eyes hurt from reading the comments.

They're bad... "lol photoshop" bad.

Lol I think it's sad yet almost comical. T-Mobile is the inventor of all. They took the roll over idea and the leasing idea. When it comes to sprint they get hyped it and start bashing almost as though they are scared cause sprint is catching up to T-Mobile

I saw two people posted the article I posted. Must be sprint users

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

Yeah. It shows what he is trying to setup with the iPhone plans

Claure said the thinking behind the iPhone for Life program is simple. He wants to give high-end customers exactly what they want, which is cutting edge technology. And at the same time, he believes the company can serve customers who may not have the means or desire to pay for the latest and greatest handsets.

As well as hinting at a very good Root Metrics report for somewhere (probably Chicago) next week.

• Like 1

I can personally say, from my standpoint being on EasyPay for 1 and a half years now and having the current plan I have now in which I started on Framily when it came out and moved over to Family Share 20gb plan. All of it I may say under no contract except in paying off the phone. I see myself never going back to a contract plan. So the person on everything data that is panicking, you are doing it all for nothing. Heck with a lease on a iPhone with unlimted data, you looking at $82. a month and if you go the family share route, lease or easy pay, you still be better off.

• Like 2

I can personally say, from my standpoint being on EasyPay for 1 and a half years now and having the current plan I have now in which I started on Framily when it came out and moved over to Family Share 20gb plan. All of it I may say under no contract except in paying off the phone. I see myself never going back to a contract plan. So the person on everything data that is panicking, you are doing it all for nothing. Heck with a lease on a iPhone with unlimted data, you looking at $82. a month and if you go the family share route, lease or easy pay, you still be better off.

I agree! I am on easypay...it's cheaper with more flexibility over 2 yr contracts and you keep the phone at the end. Even better - if you keep your phone for an extra month past 2 yr.. you save even more money.

So in the end...

L2hTznb.jpg

• Like 3

I can only hope EasyPay sticks around even if contracts are eliminated.

I agree. I would rather do a EasyPay instead of leasing.

• Like 3

I believe the writers of these articles got the info all screwed up. I'm pretty sure that Sprint would not eliminate Easy Pay as an option. I think it's just these writers are writing these articles as click bait and to bring out all the Sprint trolls for more Sprint bashing parades they've been having lately.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

Here's my scenario: I sold my 64 GB iPhone 5S, Sprint International Carrier Unlocked on eBay for $600.

TCD0lbA.png

I used EasyPay to buy my 128GB iPhone 6. It's fully paid off, and I can turn around and sell the higher capacity iPhone with a larger screen size for, let's say, equal value (to be conservative).

The math checks out:

$850 (new 128GB iPhone 6S) - $600 = $150 purchase. If I have the device for 12 months, that makes my payments $12.50.

If I were to lease a 128GB iPhone 6S, I would be paying $24.53/mo (or $294.36 per year1).

Already, I'm saving $114.36 per year. Now, granted, I'll need to pay seller fees to Swappa or eBay (or risk my life selling it on Craigslist), but personally, I like the idea of owning my phone outright and not held to any contractual obligations, even if it's roughly a wash.

----

1 iPhone Forever device-specific pricing found on the Sprint Subreddit)

• Like 4

Sprint to ditch Easy Pay is absolutely crazy talk. 50% isn't enough to justify throwing it out the window, Marcelo isn't a mad man. These publications just got the story all wrong and put words in his mouth. Do a lot of people like leasing? Yes. But not 100% obviously, I rather own my phone. I wouldn't worry about it boys, to hell with news media. Wait for PR.

• Like 9