Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I said it before (with Marcelo talking with Legere) and I'll say it again this time adding Son and Akora. But these guys dont know when to shut up. It doesn't give confidence to customers, workers or shareholders alike when they says they was looking to dump Sprint. SMH

TS

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Exactly! It's one thing to be transparent. It's an entirely different thing when these guys start over sharing. I just don't see how some of the things that were said benefit the business in any way.

• Like 7

It's out there... and frankly, SoftBank and Sprint can't sit and worry about it at this point. 

All they can do is put their heads down and be more aggressive to improve the business. 

• Like 6

Either way, because of Brightstar, I doubt that Marcelo's bank account will be hurting.

These guys must love money -- or the pursuit of money.

As I work in education, I make less than $50,000 per year. But I have the time and money to do what I want to do -- such as research and write for S4GRU. Even if I made 100 times my earnings, I do not think I would live my life that differently. Maybe I would just buy every handset released, set up my own RF testing lab, and publish the results for free.

AJ

I for myself am in public accounting and have my CPA. I just love to track the metrics these men/women have to obtain.

To some money is a motivating factor. 10 mill shares at $8 would be $80 million package if obtained.

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

It's out there... and frankly, SoftBank and Sprint can't sit and worry about it at this point. 

All they can do is put their heads down and be more aggressive to improve the business. 

More and more, as much as it pains me, I think that Sprint recovery faces a necessary rebrand.  But it cannot be "Soft-uh-Bank."

Consumers are ignorant -- and that is one reason why I am not a free market champion.  Consumers do little research and have short memories -- just look at T-Mobile's recent vox populi.  The greatly improved Sprint by another name could be a real contender.

AJ

• Like 13

More and more, as much as it pains me, I think that Sprint recovery faces a necessary rebrand.  But it cannot be "Soft-uh-Bank."

Consumers are ignorant -- and that is one reason why I am not a free market champion.  Consumers do little research and have short memories -- just look at T-Mobile's recent vox populi.  The greatly improved Sprint by another name could be a real contender.

AJ

I cannot believe I just read that.  I had to do a double take on the poster's name.   :realitycheck:

• Like 10

AJ

A year or so ago I legitimately believed the Sprint brand was almost on the verge of a turnaround. But now that the network is back up to par (relatively speaking of course) with competitive plan offerings and public opinion still hasn't turned around, I'm not so sure anymore.

• Like 2

A year or so ago I legitimately believed the Sprint brand was almost on the verge of a turnaround. But now that the network is back up to par (relatively speaking of course) with competitive plan offerings and public opinion still hasn't turned around, I'm not so sure anymore.

It needs a hard reboot and marketing dollars.

But right now, I'd bet the whole company is focusing on densification of B41, not branding or brand positioning.

• Like 9

I'm for holding off on a rebrand until speeds pick up and coverage increases. I'm saying this as someone who has spoken up for a rebrand in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

They certainly shouldn't rebrand yet, because the network really isn't back up to par in so many places. They need to get up to at least T-Mobile's level in all the major metros before they do it - there are too many markets, like LA and San Jose and San Francisco where the network is not up to par. 

• Like 7

The major question that jumped out at me from that article was this: is Sprint going to have enough money to participate in the 600mhz auction. I know that Claure (I think it was Claure) indicated they weren't even sure they would participate in the auction because they felt they had a solid spectrum position already, and I wonder if he was trying to prepare people for Sprint not participating because of a lack of money and Softbank having its hands tied do to the "covenant" with Japanese banks that they wouldn't put more money into Sprint. 

They certainly shouldn't rebrand yet, because the network really isn't back up to par in so many places. They need to get up to at least T-Mobile's level in all the major metros before they do it - there are too many markets, like LA and San Jose and San Francisco where the network is not up to par. 

I agree, the network is much improved but it should be the number one network before they rebrand, otherwise its just a waste if people come looking for new sprint (what ever they call it) and discover old sprint.  Before anyone jumps on my case about how much better sprint is now, i know its much improved and getting better everyday... But i think they only get one try at a rebrad so it needs to count..... but honestly sprint as it is plus the best network in the country should do well without a rebrand, If they deliver a fast reliable cellular experience across all markets they operate in, and all large events the service will sell itself.  I added large events because sprint seems to struggle with those in my area, think fairs concerts, summer fest so on...   

• Like 1

Honestly, the solution may be the SBC one: buy out US Cellular, and rebrand using their name. They have a good reputation in the areas that they serve, the name tells you what the company does (as opposed to some weird, newfangled Latin-sounding name), and they can use the Sprint color branding with it (much as SprintNextel used Nextel's color branding with the Sprint name).

• Like 10

I said it before (with Marcelo talking with Legere) and I'll say it again this time adding Son and Akora. But these guys dont know when to shut up. It doesn't give confidence to customers, workers or shareholders alike when they says they was looking to dump Sprint. SMH

TS

True, but the main difference is that Son has said he's fully behind Sprint's investment now.  Even going as far as providing a $1billion buyback.  If he's at all still looking to cut his costs, he just wasted another billion dollars.

• Like 3

Honestly, the solution may be the SBC one: buy out US Cellular, and rebrand using their name. They have a good reputation in the areas that they serve, the name tells you what the company does (as opposed to some weird, newfangled Latin-sounding name), and they can use the Sprint color branding with it (much as SprintNextel used Nextel's color branding with the Sprint name).

In the areas US Cellular use to serve, such as Chicago, the name isn't so good. Besides, why should Sprint use a name that belongs to a regional carrier, when Sprint is a nationwide one. When SBC acquired AT&T, they chose the AT&T name because if its longstanding image and nationwide presence. US Cellular doesn't have that, nor that great of a reputation.

Changing the name to Softbank is a better idea. However, Sprint might also want to create a new name, which with a good new reputation behind it, could be used by Softbank as its mobile division brand name, the way Comcast uses Xfinity for their television/internet brand. If that happened, the name would need to be something without any country identification.

what newfangled Latin sounding name are you referring to?

• Like 1

Outside of using the same color, this isn't a bad idea. U.S. Cellular sounds more like a national name and taking a regional carrier's name nationwide has worked OK for T-Mobile/MetroPCS. The name Sprint has gained an awful reputation and it will be hard to change public perception. As a person who started out with At&t wireless, then was abruptly switched to Cingular, only to be taken back to At&t, hold the wireless...I would have no issue with a name change.

I just don't know if anyone else will find it funny that a company named U.S. Cellular will have very little Cellular band spectrum. (SMR does not count).

• Like 2

Honestly, U.S. Cellular wouldn't be that bad for branding. People outside of US Cellular's area don't really know the name much, and regular people don't have any associations around "Cellular=Cellular Spectrum Band" or "PCS=PCS Spectrum Brand".

To non-technical people, "US Cellular" would be exactly what it sounds like, a United States Cell Phone carrier

The regional carrier-ness won't really matter. Both MetroPCS and Cricket are regional brands that expanded nationwide with no meaningful problems.

Way better (in my opinion) than rebranding to SoftBank. Anytime I mention "SoftBank" to non-technical Americans, they assume it's literally a Bank. 

• Like 9

In the areas US Cellular use to serve, such as Chicago, the name isn't so good. Besides, why should Sprint use a name that belongs to a regional carrier, when Sprint is a nationwide one. When SBC acquired AT&T, they chose the AT&T name because if its longstanding image and nationwide presence. US Cellular doesn't have that, nor that great of a reputation.

U.S. Cellular has a pretty good reputation in locations it is in now. Sprint has a bad reputation it has not been able to shake off nationwide. A name change or an image change could be in order once major cities are densified.

Changing the name to Softbank is a better idea. However, Sprint might also want to create a new name, which with a good new reputation behind it, could be used by Softbank as its mobile division brand name, the way Comcast uses Xfinity for their television/internet brand. If that happened, the name would need to be something without any country identification.

Softbank doesn't even sound like a wireless carrier. It honestly sounds like a bank's name. They also aren't widely known in the states. Keeping the name Sprint around as a parent company and using a new name to brand the wireless service isn't a good idea. It hasn't worked for Comcast since people still know xfinity was just a crappy way of Comcast hiding their craptastic name. We all know its crappy Comcast at the end of the day. Only difference is that most people can't ditch Comcast for another cable company because there isn't another cable company to switch to. Wireless industry has 3 other national carriers, several regional carriers, and endless amounts of MVNOs.
  • Like 5

I created a new thread for naming ideas, in case members here want to give different naming ideas without cluttering up this Sprint general news based thread with those ideas.

Anyways, since Softbank owns Sprint, it really ought to show it somehow, so that Softbank is more recognized for it. I think better to have a unified brand name between the two, but not using the name Softbank. As I mentioned, it could be done in the style of what Comcast did with Xfinity, though not to say it should compare itself with Comcast, just the brand naming idea.

Edited by S4GRU
Added hyperlink to new thread

Either way, because of Brightstar, I doubt that Marcelo's bank account will be hurting.

These guys must love money -- or the pursuit of money.

As I work in education, I make less than $50,000 per year.  But I have the time and money to do what I want to do -- such as research and write for S4GRU.  Even if I made 100 times my earnings, I do not think I would live my life that differently.  Maybe I would just buy every handset released, set up my own RF testing lab, and publish the results for free.

AJ

I can only truly speak for myself, but I'd be willing to wager that if any of the regular membership here ever won the lottery, we'd be more than willing to spot you the funding for that.  

• Like 10

I can only truly speak for myself, but I'd be willing to wager that if any of the regular membership here ever won the lottery, we'd be more than willing to spot you the funding for that.

Not to brag and put myself over in any way, but if I won the lottery, I would make sure this site would never need another donation.

• Like 3

Well, here is some good news about Softbank's ownership of Sprint : http://www.wsj.com/articles/softbank-increases-sprint-stake-by-nearly-87-million-1439424844

I'll have my main post about this though in the investment section, as it mainly belongs there, but it also is something good news to share a bit of here as well.

• Like 2

Well, here is some good news about Softbank's ownership of Sprint : http://www.wsj.com/articles/softbank-increases-sprint-stake-by-nearly-87-million-1439424844

I'll have my main post about this though in the investment section, as it mainly belongs there, but it also is something good news to share a bit of here as well.

I dont think they like it when we use wsj

• Like 1

I dont think they like it when we use wsj

We have nothing against the WSJ. The only issue with their content is that it is behind a paywall (can be solved by the google workaround). In a case like this where there really isn't any original reporting going on; it would have probably been better to link to a Bloomberg or Reuters type article that tells the same thing in the open. The problem yesterday was the posting of two graphics from a WSJ article. That is a copyright issue and it would be an issue with any publication, arguably more so when it is behind a paywall.

• Like 6