Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If that was so, It wouldn't be on my V50 right now. Also getting bands 4, 12, 66 on my V50 from T-Mobile.
Enjoy it while it lasts. Once they're done with your market, it won't get 5G anymore. They haven't done KC yet either, but they will.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

When its'on LTE, it says LTE, when it's on 5G, it says 5G, my phone is on 5G in the DC area. I know the difference, especially when I'm getting a ping less then 25ms

Never said you didn't know the difference. In my market 5G is dead for the V50. Sorry if I made it sound otherwise.

38 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:
1 hour ago, kg4icg said:
If that was so, It wouldn't be on my V50 right now. Also getting bands 4, 12, 66 on my V50 from T-Mobile.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Once they're done with your market, it won't get 5G anymore. They haven't done KC yet either, but they will.

So I need to visit the KC market to come get some of that sweetness again lol 😭

3 hours ago, kg4icg said:

That's funny, market here has expanded, I'm on 5G more then before.

5G never commercially launched in the St. Louis market, they just opened up access. Since it was never formally launched, apparently T-Mobile felt they could just shut it off. Maybe an early market for conversions to T-Mobile mid-band 5G. 

20 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

5G never commercially launched in the St. Louis market, they just opened up access. Since it was never formally launched, apparently T-Mobile felt they could just shut it off. Maybe an early market for conversions to T-Mobile mid-band 5G. 

Well mid band 5G as in sprint's band 41 is now opened up in Philly

51 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Well mid band 5G as in sprint's band 41 is now opened up in Philly

Yes, just like Philly. I can't think of any reason for them taking Sprint's 5G off air so quickly unless they were in the process of switching it over to T-Mobile's equipment. (Low band would be B71, mid-band B41, and high band is the mm wave 5G)

3 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Yes, just like Philly. I can't think of any reason for them taking Sprint's 5G off air so quickly unless they were in the process of switching it over to T-Mobile's equipment. (Low band would be B71, mid-band B41, and high band is the mm wave 5G)

Marketing. They want a clear message on 5g. 

4 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

It was never officially launched in philly either but I would connect from time to time. 

I am tempted to give up my Sprint line and switch to T-Mobile now for the included Netflix subscription and 50% off OnePlus 8 promotion.

What are the pros and cons to making this switch to T-Mobile now instead of staying in a Sprint account?

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/oneplus-phone-deals

6 hours ago, JimBob said:

I am tempted to give up my Sprint line and switch to T-Mobile now for the included Netflix subscription and 50% off OnePlus 8 promotion.

What are the pros and cons to making this switch to T-Mobile now instead of staying in a Sprint account?

The first question should be how does service differ between the two in places that you need it? This is not a metro ranking question but actual usage at these specific locations.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The first question should be how does service differ between the two in places that you need it? This is not a metro ranking question but actual usage at these specific locations.

No significant difference in service.

I came across this site watching a YouTube video and looked it up on the sponsor maps and Google Maps. Is it safe to have people that close to these antennas? Especially the life guards and attendants that stay up there for hours at a time? This looks to be a full marco site as the site ID has an XC identifier and its listed as having all of the Sprint technologies active. It might just be a very low power site.

kGS6wSZ.png

21 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

I came across this site watching a YouTube video and looked it up on the sponsor maps and Google Maps. Is it safe to have people that close to these antennas? Especially the life guards and attendants that stay up there for hours at a time? This looks to be a full marco site as the site ID has an XC identifier and its listed as having all of the Sprint technologies active. It might just be a very low power site.

kGS6wSZ.png

I'm not sure to what extent it is safe.  However, I see this condition with rooftop sites all the time.  I stayed in a hotel standing on the balcony, look at the wall above me and there were antennas and radios right above my head.  The lowest hanging cable from the RRH I could have reached standing on the patio chair and reaching on my tippy toes.  There was another that was wall mounted on the side wall of my room.  That if my hand was on the wall, the antennas and radios would have been 6 inches away on the other side.

Also, in Santa Fe, New Mexico in the Eldorado Community, there is an array on a hilltop where the antennas are ground mounted.  The area is owned by the HOA, it's natural area where residents hike, jog and walk their dogs.  Although it's not directly on a path, you can see them and walk right up to the antenna panels.  Only the Base Station Cabinets are in a fenced area.  The panels and their stands just sit on the ground waiting for someone to come visit them.  They could easily be vandalized.  But unquestionably unsafe in my mind.

Robert

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mdob07 said:

kGS6wSZ.png

Most of the power is radiated outward, so being directly under them is safer than being directly in front of them. Plus the radiation is non-ionizing, it only heats things up. You'd have to be very, very close to start to feel that effect. So, while I wouldn't want to sit there all day every day, an hour or two probably doesn't have much effect, if any.

• Like 2

kGS6wSZ.png
There was a Sprint site mounted literally right outside of my dorm freshman year, right next to my window. So maybe 1-2 feet from my bed (or however thick the concrete wall was). Needless to say, I had a good signal [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ingenium said:

There was a Sprint site mounted literally right outside of my dorm freshman year, right next to my window. So maybe 1-2 feet from my bed (or however thick the concrete wall was). Needless to say, I had a good signal emoji23.png

....and delayed onset cancer. Just kidding.....probably.

....and delayed onset cancer. Just kidding.....probably.
It's non ionizing. Worst case it would heat things up a bit. It's basically like a bright light.

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It's non ionizing. Worst case it would heat things up a bit. It's basically like a bright light.

Omg I was kidding.  I'm not that absurd.  

On 5/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, JimBob said:

No significant difference in service.

Jim,

Let me know if you do this and how it works. My situation is similar except I have a V50 and don't want to go to S20. Debating doing the same thing.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, JimBob said:

6 hours ago, stlman314 said:

Jim,

Let me know if you do this and how it works. My situation is similar except I have a V50 and don't want to go to S20. Debating doing the same thing.

The OnePlus 8 is known for its ability to be rooted.  If you like Network Signal Guru this could be important to you (note that you can currently switch bands on many Samsung phones).  Otherwise the most important feature is the 5g.  In my market, Columbus, OH Sprint is strong and has more macro sites than T-Mobile and hundreds more small cells.  While Sprint's signal is good, its backhaul can be weak, ie you can not get great speeds even at 4:30am.  T-Mobile typically has much higher speeds in more areas, but they do have plenty of poor speed areas.  On average they rank much better than Sprint.  I use T-Mobile through an MVNO, so I primarily can comment on coverage, but I can not comment on plan details and my speed results are not definitive. Much more clear if you are in a poor Sprint market -- if so, why wait?

So the real question is when will T-Mobile offer the best deals to switch over.  This is complicated on whether we will sink into an economic depression or soon no longer fear Covid-19.  Looking at other mergers the best deals are when the sites have been upgraded and are being tuned.  If you wait until they start to turn off the old sites, then the deals are often worse.  T-Mobile will likely reallocate band 25 according to demand so I would not count on Sprint speeds getting faster.

T-Mobile could be playing this differently.  There whole strategy is to get people over to 5G.  They have already started to move people over with S20s and some iPhone users have reported the same.  If you look at it from a modem perspective, the x55 modem is fine, the x60 modem with 5g VoLTE and better 5g SA support is certainly better.  The x50 modem equates to WiMAX and those folks should immediately accept the upgrade offer if possible.  Older phones might get their firmware upgraded to T-Mobile if still popular else just be offered a discount at some point.

• Like 4

T-Mobile or LG removed the VoLTE icon off of the V50. I actually thought it wasn't working so tested today and it's good. Anybody else have the icon removed? Screenshot_20200521-072107-1.png

3 hours ago, stlman314 said:

T-Mobile or LG removed the VoLTE icon off of the V50. I actually thought it wasn't working so tested today and it's good. Anybody else have the icon removed? 

On T-Mobile's there is no VoLTE icon because it's turned on by default. T-Mobile must be making this change on all compatible devices regardless of network. On my S20 Ultra, there isn't even an option to turn VoLTE on or off on T-Mobile. The only way I can use 3G or 2G for calls is by turning off LTE altogether.

• Like 1