Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

https://www.lightreading.com/services/oneweb-reportedly-heads-into-bankruptcy-and-spacex-might-be-next/d/d-id/758531?

Citing unnamed sources, the FT reported Friday that OneWeb – which has so far raised a whopping $3.4 billion from investors including SoftBank, Virgin Group, Qualcomm and Bharti Enterprises – had attempted to secure as much as $2 billion more from struggling SoftBank, but the financial upheaval caused by the spread of the new coronavirus recently brought an end to those talks. The publication reported that most of OneWeb's 500 employees will likely be out of a job by next week, and that satellite production in the company's manufacturing facility in Florida will cease as a result.

So that's news....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

It's almost like satellite internet is complete trash. 

Sort of like many golf courses: fancy designer built course gets lots of publicity but soon goes bankrupt. Next owner buys at a heavily discounted price. Thinks first owners were just bad managers but fails. Third owner get golf course at huge discount and makes money.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Not impressed with anything relating to SoftBank.   Looks like the amazing Son has struck again.  

According to the linked article in that quote (https://www.lightreading.com/asia/softbank-preps-%2441b-asset-sale-amid-covid-19-panic/d/d-id/758381) SoftBank is prepping a $41B asset sale....

And here's how that turned out: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/softbank-drops-10-oneweb-files-012729027.html

(Bloomberg) -- SoftBank Group Corp. fell as much as 10% after a satellite operator it invested in filed for bankruptcy, ceding some gains from an unprecedented plan to sell assets and buy back shares.

It is the latest blow to SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son, who last week unveiled a plan to raise $41 billion to buy back shares and slash debt. The announcement sent the shares soaring more than 50% in just a few days. The rally was interrupted when Moody’s Corp. cut its debt rating by two notches, saying the Japanese investment firm’s plan to sell off assets during a market downturn threatened its total value. SoftBank’s shares traded 6.7% lower on Monday morning in Tokyo.

Crazy stuff...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Sort of like many golf courses: fancy designer built course gets lots of publicity but soon goes bankrupt. Next owner buys at a heavily discounted price. Thinks first owners were just bad managers but fails. Third owner get golf course at huge discount and makes money.

Well said. 👍

I think it was a good move by softbank to let oneweb go. SpaceX's starlink cost 1/10 to buy the satellite and send the satellite to orbit. Amazon is also jumping in to the low earth game. The field is getting crowded softbank possibly could still profit with how much is done online but the numbers are not favorable.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Since when did VPN start counting against your hotspot allowance?
Supposedly it has for years. But never did for me (self hosted VPN). I'm not sure how they detect it... Possibly DPI, or possibly by just matching traffic to the popular VPN providers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ingenium said:

Supposedly it has for years. But never did for me (self hosted VPN). I'm not sure how they detect it... Possibly DPI, or possibly by just matching traffic to the popular VPN providers.

Never has for me either. Work VPN, CloudFlare VPN, neither have ever counted towards my hotspot usage ever. 

18 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

As of yesterday my LG V50 officially doesn't connect to 5G anymore. 

Test it with a T-Mobile SIM.

1 hour ago, stlman314 said:

As of yesterday my LG V50 officially doesn't connect to 5G anymore. 

Mine is still on 5G, for a few days they were doing some work on 5G in the northern virginia area, then it came back.

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Mine is still on 5G, for a few days they were doing some work on 5G in the northern virginia area, then it came back.

Yea I haven't been able to connect since yesterday. Did PRL and Profile update and nothing. I know that T-Mobile is supposed to be doing stuff in the STL market with their 5G network. So I don't know. I will look again when I go out for lunch.

52 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

Yea I haven't been able to connect since yesterday. Did PRL and Profile update and nothing. I know that T-Mobile is supposed to be doing stuff in the STL market with their 5G network. So I don't know. I will look again when I go out for lunch.

It was a few days for me when it came back, they are doing some tuning  I guess, you can do a profile update if you wish, but just give a couple of days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When/what new 5G phones will be coming to Sprint users in the near future?

We are still stuck with only the Samsung Galaxy S20 variants.  The OnePlus 8 is available on T-Mobile, but not the Sprint website.

12 hours ago, JimBob said:

When/what new 5G phones will be coming to Sprint users in the near future?

We are still stuck with only the Samsung Galaxy S20 variants.  The OnePlus 8 is available on T-Mobile, but not the Sprint website.

I wonder if the LG Velvet will be available on Sprint.  Was looking for the LG G9 but it looks like that is not going to happen.

I wonder if the LG Velvet will be available on Sprint.  Was looking for the LG G9 but it looks like that is not going to happen.
..9559d678c35d986fe065def89a2737e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, kg4icg said:

It was a few days for me when it came back, they are doing some tuning  I guess, you can do a profile update if you wish, but just give a couple of days.

Yea 5G is gone from the V50. 

52 minutes ago, stlman314 said:

Yea 5G is gone from the V50. 

If that was so, It wouldn't be on my V50 right now. Also getting bands 4, 12, 66 on my V50 from T-Mobile.

If that was so, It wouldn't be on my V50 right now. Also getting bands 4, 12, 66 on my V50 from T-Mobile.
Sprints 5G devices can still get LTE just not 5G

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Sprints 5G devices can still get LTE just not 5G

When its'on LTE, it says LTE, when it's on 5G, it says 5G, my phone is on 5G in the DC area. I know the difference, especially when I'm getting a ping less then 25ms

When its'on LTE, it says LTE, when it's on 5G, it says 5G, my phone is on 5G in the DC area. I know the difference, especially when I'm getting a ping less then 25ms
So you are getting 5G on your phone? That's awesome.