Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The negative press on Sprint in the merger process should be a significant factor in churn. Converting former Clear sites to triband should have had a significant performance impact yet has not dramatically appeared in Rootmetrics results.  The rarity of B25 + B41 + B41 CA is a factor since that would solve band 41 upload congestion (5g would be even better).  In my market attention is shifting to software updates.  VoLTE came to Magic Boxes last week. Overall network improvements might just be a multistep process yet to be completed. The competition does not stand still for Sprint.

I have actually seen 4X CA with 1 10Mhz B25 and 3 20Mhz B41 channels, and the upload was still no more than 5Mbps.  Also had good signal strength.  Also, download was not that impressive.  Maybe around 80Mbps.

Now, maybe they are still "tuning" everything.

• 2 weeks later...

RootMetrics has released all of their 2H 2019 data. Let's have a look at the National RootScore report for 2H 2019. 

Overall Performance:

Sprint's overall performance score dropped score dropped a fair bit from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's overall performance score was 83.2, down from 86.7 on the 1H 2019 report. This can be attributed to the major decrease in call performance and a moderate decrease in network reliability. They are in last for overall performance.

Network Reliability:

Sprint's network reliability score also dropped from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's network reliability score is 85.1, down from 88.7 on the 1H 2019 report. I assume this is also attributable to the major decrease in call performance. They are in last on network reliability.

Network Speed:

Sprint's network speed score rose slightly from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's network speed score is 83.9, up from 83.4 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in last for network speed.

Data Performance:

Sprint's data performance score only rose by 0.1 points. Sprint's data performance score is 88.9, up from 88.8 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in last for data performance.

Call Performance:
Sprint's call performance plummeted. I speculate that this is attributed to all of the teething issues with the VoLTE rollout. Sprint's call performance score is 73.7, down from 82.7 on the 1H 2019 report. That's a 9 point drop in 6 months. Unacceptable. They are in last for call performance.

Text Performance:

Sprint's text performance rose slightly from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's text performance score was 95.5, up from 95 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in third for text performance. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

RootMetrics has released all of their 2H 2019 data. Let's have a look at the National RootScore report for 2H 2019. 

Overall Performance:

Sprint's overall performance score dropped score dropped a fair bit from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's overall performance score was 83.2, down from 86.7 on the 1H 2019 report. This can be attributed to the major decrease in call performance and a moderate decrease in network reliability. They are in last for overall performance.

Network Reliability:

Sprint's network reliability score also dropped from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's network reliability score is 85.1, down from 88.7 on the 1H 2019 report. I assume this is also attributable to the major decrease in call performance. They are in last on network reliability.

Network Speed:

Sprint's network speed score rose slightly from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's network speed score is 83.9, up from 83.4 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in last for network speed.

Data Performance:

Sprint's data performance score only rose by 0.1 points. Sprint's data performance score is 88.9, up from 88.8 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in last for data performance.

Call Performance:
Sprint's call performance plummeted. I speculate that this is attributed to all of the teething issues with the VoLTE rollout. Sprint's call performance score is 73.7, down from 82.7 on the 1H 2019 report. That's a 9 point drop in 6 months. Unacceptable. They are in last for call performance.

Text Performance:

Sprint's text performance rose slightly from the 1H 2019 report. Sprint's text performance score was 95.5, up from 95 on the 1H 2019 report. They are in third for text performance. 

Agree that the major factors are VoLTE and data performance. In the past the formulas was rigged against TDD (and still are), but Sprint has allowed the B41 upload speeds to drop to the point they are strangling performance. B25/ B41 CA or full n41 needed ASAP, along with increased backhaul.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Overall Performance:

Network Reliability:

Network Speed:

Data Performance:

Call Performance:

Text Performance:

The impression from reading the national report is you have Verizon in the lead with AT&T trailing while T-Mobile and Sprint are grouped togther significantly further back.  Individual state reports often show Sprint in third or even 2nd (Shentel).

9 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Call Performance:

Text Performance:

These two items alone I know have been my issues. Whe VoLTE first came to the V50 (out the box) I had to turn it off majority of the time because I had so many issues with it. However now it has since been so much better. However you still have phones like G6 and G7 that don't have VoLTE at all. Still sitting with Calling Plus. 

As far as texting part of it is the RCS is really delayed sometimes to where I will turn it off. Some people that aren't using it on other carriers would report not receiving my text either. 

Has it frustrations for sure but I'm hoping Sprint doesn't merge with T-Mobile

9 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Overall Performance:

Network Reliability:

Network Speed:

Data Performance:

Call Performance:

Text Performance:

While I agree with everything else, I completely disagree with the notion the reduced call performance score being a result of 'teething issues with the VoLTE rollout'.  These are not 'teething issues'.  The issues (I believe) are sub-par LTE coverage which causes dropped calls when going from LTE -> non LTE coverage while on a call.  (Sometimes as simple as walking in buildings, sometimes could be while driving.) . While my iPhone 11 Pro does do a pretty good job at hanging onto the last thread of LTE to keep the call going, it just simply is not the same as the 1x voice network.

I really enjoy VoLTE (and it works very well for me honestly), but people are blind if they did not see this coming.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shaferz said:

While I agree with everything else, I completely disagree with the notion the reduced call performance score being a result of 'teething issues with the VoLTE rollout'.

There have been tons of complaints about issues with VoLTE, not dropping calls due to poor LTE coverage. 

13 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

There have been tons of complaints about issues with VoLTE, not dropping calls due to poor LTE coverage. 

This pretty much mirrors Tmobiles performance while VoLTE was being deployed. Id be willing to bet, that EOY phone performance numbers will be considerably better. VoLTE performance has gotten way better over the past 6 months.

11 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

RootMetrics simply tests for the ability to place and/or keep calls alive without degraded sound on either end.  A weak LTE blanket by Sprint would absolutely result in a weaker score.  'Complaints about issues with VoLTE' would be what, exactly?  Inability to place a call?  Most likely due to garbage LTE coverage.  Calls dropping?  Most likely due to holes in LTE coverage.

I mean... what else would people complain about with VoLTE?

20 minutes ago, shaferz said:

Inability to place a call?  Most likely due to garbage LTE coverage.  Calls dropping?  Most likely due to holes in LTE coverage.

Neither of these. Audio issues. Cutting out and terrible audio quality are the two biggest things. People have a great signal and good data performance and they're still having these issues. I don't think I've seen anyone complain about dropped calls yet. Coverage is not the main issue. It may be a small contributing factor, but definitely not the main issue. 

• Like 1

Neither of these. Audio issues. Cutting out and terrible audio quality are the two biggest things. People have a great signal and good data performance and they're still having these issues. I don't think I've seen anyone complain about dropped calls yet. Coverage is not the main issue. It may be a small contributing factor, but definitely not the main issue. 

luckily, my plan members and i are not those people having issues. (with our newly updated phones for Volte & phones that have volte from before)

calls are connected faster than 1xa, and have same quality as 1xa. no cut outs or cut ins.

just.. lte doesnt go in far as 1x for basement floors.

well, i am in nyc lol

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

I wholly disagree.  My point was that Root tests the ability to place and maintain a call.  They do not, as far as I know, do any type of audio quality testing for Root Scores.  Maybe I’m wrong?

10 hours ago, shaferz said:

While I agree with everything else, I completely disagree with the notion the reduced call performance score being a result of 'teething issues with the VoLTE rollout'.  These are not 'teething issues'.  The issues (I believe) are sub-par LTE coverage which causes dropped calls when going from LTE -> non LTE coverage while on a call.  (Sometimes as simple as walking in buildings, sometimes could be while driving.) . While my iPhone 11 Pro does do a pretty good job at hanging onto the last thread of LTE to keep the call going, it just simply is not the same as the 1x voice network.

I really enjoy VoLTE (and it works very well for me honestly), but people are blind if they did not see this coming.

Yeah I'd rather just disable volte. Their voice network over 1x was always EXTREMELY reliable. They knew that. Hence the holdout for so long. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Granted, I haven't been *everywhere*, but I've had pretty much zero issues with VoLTE in KS, MO, or IL.

I've had good luck with it too. My dad calls me a lot from KC with VoLTE turned on. I had to turn it off here in Omaha, signal in my apartment wasn't good enough until I got a MB (which didn't support VoLTE until recently I think?) There are also still several sites that are down due to the major flooding we had along I-29 between Omaha and KC, so I've left VoLTE off since I make that drive pretty frequently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Granted, I haven't been *everywhere*, but I've had pretty much zero issues with VoLTE in KS, MO, or IL.

When I got my V50 it was crappy. It could be a fluke but after I started having issues with my phone and wiping the phone I haven't had issues. Every now and then I had the issue

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

There are also still several sites that are down due to the major flooding we had along I-29 between Omaha and KC, so I've left VoLTE off since I make that drive pretty frequently.

Which sites are offline that you know of?