Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

13 hours ago, dro1984 said:

If this were true, wouldn't the Virgin Website indicate so or re-direct you to Boost Mobile?   Virgin website is up and running...   Brad... you're posting links from Reddit site again.   This is not the most reputable.     I'm leary of what I read on Reddit.    

Again... there is nothing in the news-feed anywhere about this or on the company's website.   

Brad... you're right!    It's in the news today.     Good catch!  

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, dro1984 said:

Brad... you're right!    It's in the news today.     Good catch!  

I don't remember which blog it was but it had the best headline announcing the closing of the brand, "Sprint sacrifices Virgin".😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

It's really so much about NOTHING!   Sprint has been de-emphasizing Virgin Mobile for like 2 years now.   At one point didn't they eliminate all the phones and just market i-Phones??  No advertising for 2 years or more etc...     They've been trying to kill the brand off for a very long time.    Blah..blah blah on the headlines... Absolutely not surprising though.      

• Like 1

Ookla data shows Sprint's improvements over the last two years. Started off Q1 2018 in last at 23.6Mbps average download speed. They finished Q4 2019 in second at 39.5Mbps average download speed. T-Mobile finds themselves in last and Verizon in 3rd as congestion catches up with them. 

https://imgur.com/a/uvn9sBC

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Has anyone else that uses CellMapper noticed recently that its not mapping nearly as many points as it used to? Both of my phones seem to only be recording about 1/4 the amount of points of what I had been up until recently. All of the app permissions look right and it's not getting killed in background. I tried uninstalling from one phone and deleting all data and reinstalling but it didnt make a difference.

51 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

Has anyone else that uses CellMapper noticed recently that its not mapping nearly as many points as it used to? Both of my phones seem to only be recording about 1/4 the amount of points of what I had been up until recently. All of the app permissions look right and it's not getting killed in background. I tried uninstalling from one phone and deleting all data and reinstalling but it didnt make a difference.

Yes, I noticed the same thing.  But it seems inconsistent for me.  Some trips it's normal, some not.  And the problems seem to happen more often with Sprint and T-Mobile and less with USCC and VZW.  But that could be coincidental.  It's been that way since late October/early November.

Robert

6 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Yes, I noticed the same thing.  But it seems inconsistent for me.  Some trips it's normal, some not.  And the problems seem to happen more often with Sprint and T-Mobile and less with USCC and VZW.  But that could be coincidental.  It's been that way since late October/early November.

Robert

Yeah, I started noticing it around Thanksgiving. I did a 300 mile round trip for work last week and my AT&T phone had 2000 points and my Sprint phone had 200. I have the minimum recording interval set to 1 second on both. Before both would have had about 15,000-20,000 for that trip. I think Mike has said some of the recent android updates are restricting background processes. I wonder if that is affecting the app. On my trip to Baltimore I've keep Cellmapper open with screen on but haven't seen much of a difference that way either.

Since November it has stopped reporting correctly on my T-Mobile Potatorola E5+ and Pixel 3a.

The app has never let me log in to my account for some reason, I tried all the usual thing user @mdob07 mentioned. Before this time it would still report and I could view progress on the browser later at home. Now it puts few points up and disregards changing reporting times. I have kept it screened on and kept other mapping apps open at times to see if this made reporting better but I stopped using it. 

Now it is just another signal app and viewing on chrome desktop is pretty broken. 

14 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

The app has never let me log in to my account for some reason, I tried all the usual thing user @mdob07 mentioned.

I was tinkering with Cell Mapper a week or two ago, and discovered that if I had special characters in my password, like an exclamation point, it wouldn't let me log into the app.  When I used the website to change my password and remove the special characters (sticking with letters and numbers), I logged in without issue.

- Trip

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Inseego MiFi 8000

Those things usually can't even stay powered on long enough before they bork a firmware update. I figured the HTC hub would net something like this speed before an off the shelf, USB tethered modem. 

4jNz2KU.jpg

A friend and I are building a pair of Cat. 20 routers. He has Sprint service to test, here are his results with a macronode that tops at 3x aggregation, 4x2 MiMo, about a mile from his site.

He is using 1 dual port -19 dB gain antenna tuned 2.4-2.7GHz and 1 dual port -15 dB gain antenna for 2.4-2.7GHz to match 4x2 MiMo. We are using Quectel Cat 20 M.2 embedded radios and LMR400 coax. It is mounted 35 feet in the air. PoE. The ping sucks because we are working on making QMI stable in certain router builds so MBIM.

Bruh are you telling me I should have just skipped all this and bought an inseego?

Yeah, I started noticing it around Thanksgiving. I did a 300 mile round trip for work last week and my AT&T phone had 2000 points and my Sprint phone had 200. I have the minimum recording interval set to 1 second on both. Before both would have had about 15,000-20,000 for that trip. I think Mike has said some of the recent android updates are restricting background processes. I wonder if that is affecting the app. On my trip to Baltimore I've keep Cellmapper open with screen on but haven't seen much of a difference that way either.
I've noticed it too. It seems to be more picky about a GPS signal now. For example, if I'm driving and my phone is in my lap, it won't record as many points as it does when it's sitting upright in my cup holder.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-corporation-schedules-fiscal-2019-third-quarter-results-announcement.htm

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.
, Jan. 23, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) will release its fiscal 2019 third quarter financial results on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. The results, including a message from management, will be posted at www.sprint.com/investors at approximately 8 a.m. ET. Sprint management will not host a conference call.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-corporation-schedules-fiscal-2019-third-quarter-results-announcement.htm

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.
, Jan. 23, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) will release its fiscal 2019 third quarter financial results on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. The results, including a message from management, will be posted at www.sprint.com/investors at approximately 8 a.m. ET. Sprint management will not host a conference call.

No call again. I have a feeling there won't be another call if the merger is approved. However, if it is not approved, there will have to be a CYA call to explain the next steps for the company.

It's that time again. OpenSignal January 2020 report is out.

No awards for Sprint yet again. 

Sprint takes second place in the Video Experience metric at 55.5 (good). Number one is Verizon at 58.8 (good).

Sprint comes in last in the Voice App Experience metric at 75.6 (acceptable). T-Mobile and AT&T tied for the number one spot at 79.4 and 79.3 respectively.

Sprint comes last in the Download Speed Experience metric at 23.9. AT&T takes the award with a 27.5.

Sprint comes last in the Upload Speed Experience metric (no surprise there). They scored a 2.7. T-Mobile took the award with an 8.6.

Sprint is in third for the Latency Experience metric with a score of 55. AT&T took the award with a score of 49.7. 

Sprint is in last for the 4G Availability metric with users spending 92.5% of their time on 4G. Verizon took the award with their users spending 95.9% of their time on 4G. 

Sprint is in last place on the 4G Coverage Experience metric with a score of 8.2/10. Verizon took the award with a score of 9.7/10.

There is definitely more yellow on the regional analysis summary than there was last time.

• Like 3

Now I know you're all thinking "Brad this is terrible!". It is both terrible and not terrible. Let's compare Sprint's data against the July 2019 report to see what's improved. 

4G Availability has improved quite a bit (OpenSignal is very urban-heavy on it's data though, 4G availability should be considered availability in urban environments only). On the July 2019 report it was 89.5. On the January 2020 report it's 92.5. That's a 3% increase!

Sprint's scores on the video experience metric have also improved. On the July 2019 report, Sprint scored a 47.5. On the January 2020 report, they scored 55.5. OpenSignal had this to say:

Sprint may not have yet won an Opensignal award but the operator deserves to be recognized for its 16.8% jump in Video Experience from a Fair ranking of 47.5 in the July 2019 report to a Good ranking and a score of 55.5 points just six months later.

We're going to break down the Download Speed Experience metric into 4G and 3G performance. Average 4G download speed on the July 2019 report was 21.1Mbps. Average 4G download speed on the January 2020 report is 25.9Mbps. That's a 4.8Mbps increase in average 4G download speed. Average 3G download speed on the July 2019 report was 1.3Mbps. Average 3G download speed on the January 2020 report was 1.4Mbps. The 3G speeds are what is dragging the overall download speed metric score down.

Upload speed experience is going to focus on 4G speeds only. Sprint's average 4G upload speed on the July 2019 report was 2.6Mbps. Average 4G upload speed on the January 2020 was 3Mbps. A very small increase which shows that uploads still need a lot of work. 

Latency experience will only focus on 4G. Sprint's average 4G latency on the July 2019 report was 55.1ms. Average 4G latency on the January 2020 report is 51.2ms. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2020 at 8:45 PM, Grabber5.0 said:

Honestly none of that looks too bad to me

That's my take.  Other than uploads, Sprint may not be number one but is quite competitive.  I don't drive the number one car, I don't fly the number one airline, I don't drink the number one coffee and so on...I use the best for me.  And Sprint is now becoming more and more useful to more and more people.  Regardless of an absolute number one position.  The difference between 82 of this and 85 of that is pretty immaterial in the user experience.

Robert

• Like 8