Jump to content
joshuam

Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

This is major news!!! https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/ericsson-rolls-out-standalone-5g-nr-software

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

Given how competent Ericsson seems at developing new network equipment, I still can’t believe how bad they were at managing it as part of the Managed Services Contract it had with Sprint a while back.

I guess all is forgiven now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Given how competent Ericsson seems at developing new network equipment, I still can’t believe how bad they were at managing it as part of the Managed Services Contract it had with Sprint a while back.

I guess all is forgiven now?

I'm not sure Ericsson was to blame....  after all, we are talking about Sprint.   Money / Management issues ... If you're not releasing funding when you're suppose to and you are constantly changing directions, how good can they be?   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

I'm not sure Ericsson was to blame....  after all, we are talking about Sprint.   Money / Management issues ... If you're not releasing funding when you're suppose to and you are constantly changing directions, how good can they be?   

Sprint and Ericsson renewed certain portions of their managed services contract in 2016: https://www.ericsson.com/en/press-releases/2016/7/sprint-and-ericsson-renew-portions-of-managed-services-partnership

John Saw posted about it: https://newsroom.sprint.com/the-operational-side-of-our-network-transformation.htm

Sprint took in some Ericsson employees as part of the renewal (Some of whom were former Sprint employees):

https://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article92233777.html

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-to-take-some-ericsson-employees-as-companies-renew-parts-network-outsourcing-pact

Some history from the FierceWireless article on the original deal announced in July 2009:

The network-outsourcing pact was initially announced in July 2009, with Sprint transferring 6,000 employees to the Swedish gear vendor and Ericsson taking over day-to-day operations of the CDMA, iDEN and wireline networks. The outsourcing arrangement, which was big enough to merit its own name – the companies dubbed it "Network Advantage" – was hailed as a "game changer" at the time by one analyst.”

Some more interesting background:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20090713006068/en/Sprint-Managed-Services-Deal-Ericsson-Network-Operations

https://www.lightreading.com/ethernet-ip/ericsson-sprint-in-$5b-managed-services-deal/d/d-id/669095

Apparently, Ericsson didn’t manage things well. I’m sure others here have much more detailed knowledge on what went wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great... it had to do with Nextel?!!  Gary Forsee... Sprint/iDen integration.... LOL!!!...  OMG!!   Again, I stand by my original thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Apparently, Ericsson didn’t manage things well. I’m sure others here have much more detailed knowledge on what went wrong.

The problem was the lack of penalties for missing deadlines and the lack of incentives for getting things done. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

The problem was the lack of penalties for missing deadlines and the lack of incentives for getting things done. 

...and that is called oversight.    Oversight is what management is supposed to do.    Making sure things are getting done and on time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

The problem was the lack of penalties for missing deadlines and the lack of incentives for getting things done. 

But how could Ericsson perform so poorly? Was Sprint’s outsourcing to them just a really bad idea from the beginning and beyond their scope of expertise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its that time of year again..

And Sprint did excellent!! The upload is definitely hurting their scores, but on average they were one of the fastest of the big four..

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Its that time of year again..

And Sprint did excellent!! The upload is definitely hurting there scores, but on average they were one of the fastest of the big four..

 

 

 

As soon as 25+41 CA is live, we should see a BIG uptick in Sprint's scores in tests like these. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As soon as 25+41 CA is live, we should see a BIG uptick in Sprint's scores in tests like these. 

The problem is consistency and without FDD/TDD CA it’s not going to happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is consistency and without FDD/TDD CA it’s not going to happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this point I don't think we ever see FDD+TDD until new TMOBILE.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At this point I don't think we ever see FDD+TDD until new TMOBILE.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Look at the configuration. B41/B46. Sure looks like they are seeding for the merger.a83b6b42cb1e2c71f237daa5bd8bcc20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Look at the configuration. B41/B46. Sure looks like they are seeding for the merger.a83b6b42cb1e2c71f237daa5bd8bcc20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

I bet the unlocked models don't have that enabled. My unlocked S9 supports 25+26 and 25+41 but doesn't have the option to enable it. You should check mark all those

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I bet the unlocked models don't have that enabled. My unlocked S9 supports 25+26 and 25+41 but doesn't have the option to enable it. You should check mark all those

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk


I just did. The network so far is not using any of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did. The network so far is not using any of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
be fun to see how 15x1525+B41 worked out. When you in a area with both of those

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep it would be. I'm one county away from 15mhz. We got stuck with 10mhz but it's better than b25 CA

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Its that time of year again..

And Sprint did excellent!! The upload is definitely hurting their scores, but on average they were one of the fastest of the big four..

They were second for average download speeds. The problem is their piss poor uploads, latency, reliability, and consistency. They won in Portland because they were consistent and they tied in SLC. Everywhere else was a loss. I wouldn't say that they did excellent. I would say they did ok at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

They were second for average download speeds. The problem is their piss poor uploads, latency, reliability, and consistency. They won in Portland because they were consistent and they tied in SLC. Everywhere else was a loss. I wouldn't say that they did excellent. I would say they did ok at best. 

Considering how all pro merger folks paint them out to be, you'd think the sky is falling, but on the contrary, they are doing quite well with limited resources. In fact, if they started CA B25/B26+B41 would solve 90% of the issues involved with slower uploads and reliability. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Considering how all pro merger folks paint them out to be, you'd think the sky is falling, but on the contrary, they are doing quite well with limited resources. In fact, if they started CA B25/B26+B41 would solve 90% of the issues involved with slower uploads and reliability. 

It would. There isn't anything that supports uplink 3CA though. 25+41 uplink CA should really help, especially in places where they have 15x15 band 25. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

It would. There isn't anything that supports uplink 3CA though. 25+41 uplink CA should really help, especially in places where they have 15x15 band 25. 

Don't need it to be 15x15 even 5x5 on B26 would be fine to help stabilize B41's upload on the edge of signal. (Would like to point out, that B41 on M-MIMO does exhibit considerably better upload stability vs 8t8r)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't need it to be 15x15 even 5x5 on B26 would be fine to help stabilize B41's upload on the edge of signal. (Would like to point out, that B41 on M-MIMO does exhibit considerably better upload stability vs 8t8r)
That's good to know

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 8:39 AM, dro1984 said:

...and that is called oversight.    Oversight is what management is supposed to do.    Making sure things are getting done and on time.   

Yes.   But we didn't live in a bubble.  There were two other vendors.  Ericsson was clearly the worst of the three in Network Vision deployment (in some ways they had to do it twice). 

Also, when it comes to network management, a third party will almost NEVER do as good of a job yourself, because they don't take ownership of the issues the way you would yourself.  And so there is not the sense of urgency when an issue or roadblock comes up.  And you're much more likely to accept no as an answer.  I see it all day long in my line of work.

Robert

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S4GRU said:
Yes.   But we didn't live in a bubble.  There were two other vendors.  Ericsson was clearly the worst of the three in Network Vision deployment (in some ways they had to do it twice). 
Also, when it comes to network management, a third party will almost NEVER do as good of a job yourself, because they don't take ownership of the issues the way you would yourself.  And so there is not the sense of urgency when an issue or roadblock comes up.  And you're much more likely to accept no as an answer.  I see it all day long in my line of work.
Robert

Sprint calls in Ericsson for site work ==> Ericsson assigns available local peons of varying quality to work ==> some time later ==> Ericsson worker arrives on site ==> worker connects to Ericsson employees in India to do the actual work ==> worker verifies work is "done" and calls it a day ==> tells sprint all good.


TLDR of Ericssons network management work.

TLDR2: Remember the 65 MHz PCS project? Ericsson completely ripped out the entire PCS NV ERC network in 2014+ for brand new radios for basically free while ALU and Samsung NV era PCS radios are still in use. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some interesting info will come out of this?

Edit to add: clicking on the #SprintAnalystDay hashtag brings up some interesting tweets about the event.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the marketing message Sprint is going with for 5G: We’re the reliable 5G network.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...