Jump to content
joshuam

Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

They need to get 5G on 100MHz so they're closer Verizons mmWave speed-wise. 300Mbps is what we see on LTE currently. 

They actually don't need to add more spectrum, it's more about backhaul at this point. 3xCA B41 with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM is considered gigabit class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

They actually don't need to add more spectrum, it's more about backhaul at this point. 3xCA B41 with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM is considered gigabit class.

Need to get better backhaul in these areas then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They actually don't need to add more spectrum, it's more about backhaul at this point. 3xCA B41 with 4x4MIMO and 256QAM is considered gigabit class.
He is talking about 5G which can go faster than gigabit

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Need to get better backhaul in these areas then.
Sprint likely doesn't have the money to get 1-2gb backhaul yet. So they are competing on coverage and reliability. It should work. Most people are not running speed tests on there devices but they do notice 5G icon. If it's there more than any other carrier and still really fast Sprint will start finally winning customers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Terrell352 said:

Sprint likely doesn't have the money to get 1-2gb backhaul yet. So they are competing on coverage and reliability. It should work. Most people are not running speed tests on there devices but they do notice 5G icon. If it's there more than any other carrier and still really fast Sprint will start finally winning customers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

I won't be satisfied until I get 1Tbps over 5G. /s

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys failed to realize though, with Verizon's 5g, you have to be standing within 300 feet or less of a node to get anything, while you can drive around with Sprint's which has greater coverage.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I won't be satisfied until I get 1Tbps over 5G. /s
6G maybe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kg4icg said:

You guys failed to realize though, with Verizon's 5g, you have to be standing within 300 feet or less of a node to get anything, while you can drive around with Sprint's which has greater coverage.

There is potential here though that Sprint needs to capitalize on. Coverage is one of those. The other would be speed. Then they could say "hey, our 5G isn't quite as fast as Verizons but: ours is more reliable, we've got coverage that good enough to the point where you can drive around and hang onto it, and the coverage is good enough and fast enough to provide you a wireless home internet solution". But of course the last thing requires major backhaul upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brad The Beast said:

There is potential here though that Sprint needs to capitalize on. Coverage is one of those. The other would be speed. Then they could say "hey, our 5G isn't quite as fast as Verizons but: ours is more reliable, we've got coverage that good enough to the point where you can drive around and hang onto it, and the coverage is good enough and fast enough to provide you a wireless home internet solution". But of course the last thing requires major backhaul upgrades. 

That's where that HTC hub comes in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

That's where that HTC hub comes in

Backhaul isn't fast enough to support home internet yet. They need to upgrade backhaul so we start seeing more comparable speeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's where that HTC hub comes in
The HTC hub would work if the site's had more backhaul. Once 5G is saturating the market it's going to be alot slower at current backhaul and settings. John did say that 5G upload was on the way in the coming weeks(usually translates to 3-6 months).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

They need to get 5G on 100MHz so they're closer Verizons mmWave speed-wise. 300Mbps is what we see on LTE currently. 

Saw said that once DSS becomes available they'll be able to use 100MHz of spectrum for 5G and 60MHz for LTE simultaneously.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saw said that once DSS becomes available they'll be able to use 100MHz of spectrum for 5G and 60MHz for LTE simultaneously.
What is DSS?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tengen31 said:

What is DSS?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 

Dynamic Spectrum Sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dynamic Spectrum Sharing
Oh I have no clue what that means

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I get it now. If TMO and Sprint have to give up spectrum to pass the merger that could make 5G deployment easier

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is the mysterious Sprint B26 site in Williston, ND. I can only pick up on B26. So I suspect that's all that's broadcasting. It seems odd Sprint would just put up a 3x3 B26 site only.f43bb5ff3c0589cf5c0a4c83a8e7ea52.jpg7fe347963ebe06455a8f17e0c24456b5.jpga6d4302209e69494fb4ca7920f9f5932.jpgcd2be08afe2d3cff52db931905b72547.jpg45264587d67d852a3d48cb814b0991ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bretton88 said:

So here is the mysterious Sprint B26 site in Williston, ND. I can only pick up on B26. So I suspect that's all that's broadcasting. It seems odd Sprint would just put up a 3x3 B26 site only.f43bb5ff3c0589cf5c0a4c83a8e7ea52.jpg7fe347963ebe06455a8f17e0c24456b5.jpga6d4302209e69494fb4ca7920f9f5932.jpgcd2be08afe2d3cff52db931905b72547.jpg45264587d67d852a3d48cb814b0991ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
 

It looks like it's 800 only. I only see a Samsung 800 RRU. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It looks like it's 800 only. I only see a Samsung 800 RRU. 
Yep. Just a single C2A to a 2 port antenna. A super rare find!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

That's very encouraging news. I guess we'll see if Sprint's 5G impacts customer adds at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep. Just a single C2A to a 2 port antenna. A super rare find!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I wonder what's the point of putting up a B26 only site up. If you're going to the expense of setting up a new site, why not do a full triband setup? To note, I suspect there are similar setups on the town's along Highway 2 through Montana, as I found B26 in some of those towns too last weekend.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bretton88 said:

I wonder what's the point of putting up a B26 only site up. If you're going to the expense of setting up a new site, why not do a full triband setup? To note, I suspect there are similar setups on the town's along Highway 2 through Montana, as I found B26 in some of those towns too last weekend.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
 

A way of spending as little as possible and be able to deploy VoLTE..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wonder what's the point of putting up a B26 only site up. If you're going to the expense of setting up a new site, why not do a full triband setup? To note, I suspect there are similar setups on the town's along Highway 2 through Montana, as I found B26 in some of those towns too last weekend.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

$$$,$$$.

Same reason why T-mobile and Vzw and ATT throws up low band only sites in rural areas.

Optimize sites for coverage and then go back and add mid band and high band if there's demand.



Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Send me a diagnostic report next time you run into that.. but based on what is on the screen, that looks like a legitimate T-Mobile connection. My Pixel 4 has a hard time letting go of T-Mobile LTE in some strong Sprint areas as well. -Mike
    • As an update to the 5G discussion -- I have received several diagnostic reports from users who noted they were connected to 5G at the time (thanks!), however I have not seen an example where the API is reporting any 5G data. Everything has appeared as regular LTE for now. Please keep sending me reports, I am sure eventually we will have a device that reports it properly! At a minimum it will need to be on Android 10, because the 5G reporting routines did not exist in earlier versions. -Mike
    • No, its because Speedtest has considerably more servers to ping (meaning less hops and closer in proximity) from than any of those other servers you mentioned. Typically, the fastest speed would be considered the most accurate. 
    • So I've noticed that my Speed Test app always seems to show faster speeds than what I'm actually getting. Just now Speed Test showed I was getting 14Mbps down. OpenSignal and Root Metrics were showing 4Mbps and 5Mbps respectively. My Twitter, reddit and Safari apps are running like I'm on a 5Mbps connection. Just this past weekend in Chicago, Speed Test was saying I was getting 5Mbps. OpenSignal and RootMetrics were showing <1Mbps and 1Mbps respectively and my apps were running like they would on a 1Mbps connection. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't be surprised if they were prioritizing speed test connections.  
    • gotcha ok thanks! would at least like to know if the capability is there and that it's possible to enable...
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...