Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

45 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

It can't be that one because the government didn't approve that one and that's any deal AT&T made with them would have been voided. The Government Sued to stop it and Time warren content prices have not risen (they did not buy time warrener cable) to distributors. So, it cant be that one. 

Incorrect. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/business/media/att-time-warner-appeal.html

Or they can merge the two networks and spectrum, form a network operating company and Sprint and T-Mobile becoming marketing companies. I think that will fly a lot easier than a full merger/acquisition.

• Like 1

Or they can merge the two networks and spectrum, form a network operating company and Sprint and T-Mobile becoming marketing companies. I think that will fly a lot easier than a full merger/acquisition.

Major cable operators like Comcast and Time Warner / Spectrum are the primary threats to Verizon and ATT imo.

They have the scale and preexisting extremely lucrative user base they can leverage to just funnel money to their wireless adventures. They've already got the infrastructure to support wireless users via their MVNO deal with Verizon and thus experience in supporting wireless subscribers. It likely won't be hard for them to just swap over their users to whoever network they take over and rebrand quickly.

The greatest impediment to them fully entering the industry is cost in actually building out a nationwide cell network. Taking over a national cell network and using it as a base to launch their competitive wireless platform is much cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

5G on-air at Google I/O in Mountain View, CA!
Will Massive MIMO COWS be a thing?
Someone please Photoshop a cow strapped with a 64t 64r radio...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mercurial1 said:

Someone please Photoshop a cow strapped with a 64t 64r radio...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The antennas are surprisingly compact, so I’m thinking this could be a thing a some point.

• Like 1

This is what ATT promised regulators. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I10SP

"And Petrocelli argued that an arbitration offer given by AT&T would take away much of the power to raise prices. In hopes of preventing a court fight, AT&T proposed that for seven years it would submit to third-party arbitration any disagreement with distributors over the pricing for Time Warner's networks and promise not to black out programming during arbitration."

38 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Major cable operators like Comcast and Time Warner / Spectrum are the primary threats to Verizon and ATT imo.

They have the scale and preexisting extremely lucrative user base they can leverage to just funnel money to their wireless adventures. They've already got the infrastructure to support wireless users via their MVNO deal with Verizon and thus experience in supporting wireless subscribers. It likely won't be hard for them to just swap over their users to whoever network they take over and rebrand quickly.

The greatest impediment to them fully entering the industry is cost in actually building out a nationwide cell network. Taking over a national cell network and using it as a base to launch their competitive wireless platform is much cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It will be great and all but they have not shown much interest because they know they need to invest in Sprint's network and they know that if they acquire Sprint they need to compete against the other 3 carriers 2 of which are very well funded and the 3rd is a master at marketing.

From a technical point of view it will be great for Sprint to get in bed with the cable cos because their backhaul problems will be solved and their strand mount and pole mount small cell problems will be solved. Cable cos have been losing customers to cord cutting and they could recover some of those customers. 

But the cable cos are notoriously conservative so I don't expect them to do anything anytime soon. If Sprint can convince them to network share ala Altice, that will be wonderful. 

6 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

But the cable cos are notoriously conservative so I don't expect them to do anything anytime soon. If Sprint can convince them to network share ala Altice, that will be wonderful.

Didn't they do something like that with Cox?

4 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Didn't they do something like that with Cox?

Yes they did at least the backhaul and small cell part but Cox has no desire to do an MVNO.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Ok. Altice is doing all that plus firing up their own MVNO?

Yep but it's not a traditional MVNO ala Comcast: 

"Altice has said in the past that its full infrastructure-based MVNO will rely only on wireless partner Sprint’s radio access network (RAN) only, while Altice will handle all over aspects of the mobile service, including the SIM, roaming and network partners, data and internet access, voice messaging, rate charging, customer care and billing."

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/altice-track-to-launch-mobile-services-summer-not-worried-about-5g-fwa-threat

“We will be operating our own core network with its own [Home Location Register], which is the brain of the mobile network,” said Altice USA CEO Dexter Goei, speaking during the operator’s third-quarter earnings conference call.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/altice-touts-full-mvno-approach-again

Edited by bigsnake49

7 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

So will Altice use their own dedicated backhaul or will they share with Sprint?

They will share with Sprint.

Remember that Altice Europe owns two wireless operators in Europe, SFR in France and PT Portugal in Portugal. So they are not strangers to wireless.

Edited by bigsnake49

We've got 7  or 8 reports between two threads right now which tells me either people are being overly sensitive and/or people need to tone it down. We'll be reviewing posts as we can, and vacations may be warranted but consider this a further warning to anyone from this point on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Cable Co would be the ideal partner. Watching cable companies struggle to compete against the industry as a whole, this would put them back on the map in more ways than one. Plus huge benefits from a network integration standpoint. 
Backhaul and customer acquisition(from both sides) would be two huge benefits for this marriage,  
The whole Tmo+Sprint thing just seems completely inefficient and a massive waste of Sprint's extensive network and efforts. 

Again scenarios are interesting to speak about, but which cable company has sufficient amounts of money to invest into sprint.. I read an article that sprint needs at least 10 billion to get moving.. and even a bigger cash influx to follow those 10 billion.. even if a cable company got on board by the time they are done given sprint a cash infusion for these improvements to see a return on investment prices are going to sky rocket. The T-Mobile deal works cause they already have a network grid that can make use of the assets most cable companies don’t and dish’s attempt at doing it is a joke lol and if sprint does get a cable company on board and they don’t give them a sufficient amount of cash infusion to make improvements than we are back to square 1 just like with SoftBank  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comcast

They have big bucks [emoji385] and they already offer Mobile Phone Service.

As someone else mentioned, buying up Sprint would allow Comcast to stop paying Verizon for service.

If the Sprint+T-Mobile Merger does not get approved, I do kind of hope that Comcast can get Sprint, since that work for me personally, since I am already stuck with Comcast Cable TV/Internet/Home Phone.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Comcast

They have big bucks [emoji385] and they already offer Mobile Phone Service.

As someone else mentioned, buying up Sprint would allow Comcast to stop paying Verizon for service.

If the Sprint+T-Mobile Merger does not get approved, I do kind of hope that Comcast can get Sprint, since that work for me personally, since I am already stuck with Comcast Cable TV/Internet/Home Phone.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, a Spectrum or Comcast merger would be ideal in my eyes. Deep pockets with generally good wireline networks. Perfect for backhaul to small cells.

• Like 3

Yeah, a Spectrum or Comcast merger would be ideal in my eyes. Deep pockets with generally good wireline networks. Perfect for backhaul to small cells.

True. I'll take TMobile over Comcast any day. I've heard Comcast Customer service isn't so good.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Imagine inflicting Comcast customer service + Sprint customer service on a customer base.

Then imagine inflicting Comcast pricing on top of their customer service. Their current pricing is totally out of line for people who actually use data.