Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Just now, utiz4321 said:

Oh, really. Go on and give an example. I'll wait. 

"We can't make a nationwide 5G network". T-Mobile can. It won't be the fastest but it'll be nationwide. Sprint could with their 2.5GHz spectrum but this initial rollout would need to be spectacular. "Sprint will die if the merger fails". They've been saying that since the Nextel merger and they're still here. 

"We can't make a nationwide 5G network". T-Mobile can. It won't be the fastest but it'll be nationwide. Sprint could with their 2.5GHz spectrum but this initial rollout would need to be spectacular. "Sprint will die if the merger fails". They've been saying that since the Nextel merger and they're still here. 

I mean the scenarios are interesting to speak about, but can sprint really justify making any bigger investment into the network. It’s more serious now than it was back than the numbers are looking bad. Sprint is walking a thin line and investors and board members are going to seek a return on this investment and sprint just won’t be able to do it with negative cash flow at 539 million can’t justify spending any money on the network really. Customers aren’t coming even after the improvements and cheaper plans and a better phone buying experience .. migrations from prepaid isn’t helping much  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I mean the scenarios are interesting to speak about, but can sprint really justify making any bigger investment into the network. It’s more serious now than it was back than the numbers are looking bad. Sprint is walking a thin line and investors and board members are going to seek a return on this investment and sprint just won’t be able to do it with negative cash flow at 539 million can’t justify spending any money on the network really. Customers aren’t coming even after the improvements.. migrations from prepaid isn’t helping much

I'm quite curious as to what's going to happen with this initial 5G rollout since it shouldn't be complete trash like Verizon and AT&Ts. Maybe it could be the turnaround Sprint needs? I'm sure there are many money making opportunities with 5G and they're deploying it where the money is. 

9 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Sprint can't build a 5g network and an overloaded tmobile 5g network isn't any good to anyone. Sprint will probably die and definately will die as a national carrier if the merger doesn't go through. We are going to 3 national carriers. Take your pick on how. 

• Like 1

I'm quite curious as to what's going to happen with this initial 5G rollout since it shouldn't be complete trash like Verizon and AT&Ts. Maybe it could be the turnaround Sprint needs? I'm sure there are many money making opportunities with 5G and they're deploying it where the money is. 

It’s just not feasible when the LTE network isn’t even complete ! On today’s call it was hinted that more of the capex will go towards massive Mimo, really ?? Sprint still has 20% of its LTE footprint without 2.5 and that was an approximate number so it could be more. Sprint is just a mess.. still fixing LTE, working-on 5G, trying to incorporate volte, adding FDD/TDD CA. I mean damn can sprint just stick to finishing one thing.. and let’s not forget about lack of coverage in all of this

Just now, utiz4321 said:

Sprint can't build a 5g network and an overloaded tmobile 5g network isn't any good to anyone. Sprint will probably die and definately will die as a national carrier if the merger doesn't go through. We are going to 3 national carriers. Take your pick on how. 

Still shows that the "We can't make a nationwide 5G network" is a lie. They've been saying Sprint is going to die since the Nextel merger so I don't know if I believe that.

Just now, Brad The Beast said:

Still shows that the "We can't make a nationwide 5G network" is a lie. They've been saying Sprint is going to die since the Nextel merger so I don't know if I believe that.

No. Sprint can not.  Also, you cant lie to regulators that is illegal. So, if regulators charge sprint or Tmobile with a crime you might have a case but if they don't you are just making stuff up. 

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

On today’s call it was hinted that more of the capex will go towards massive Mimo, really ??

It's where the money is I suppose. Then they can provide wireless internet service to try and increase revenue. 

It's where the money is I suppose. Then they can provide wireless internet service to try and increase revenue. 

Yes, but further along their is still no return in any of this investment.. sprint would need a huge influx of customers even more than what TMO is pulling a quarter.. that is not happening with sprints bad brand image.. even if sprint skipped 5G and went to 6G that wouldn’t happen. Sprint is a sinking ship most don’t wanna believe it, but it’s a burden on SoftBank and it’s investors

As I've stated elsewhere, Sprint as an independent entity has no real way foward.

Sprint will be relegated to the history books but it's network may survive to tell the tale depending on who purchases it be it T-mobile ripping it out root and stem or a cable carrier wanting to vertically integrate and get off Verizon's MVNO deal.

Softbank will not just let Sprint flounder and die. They will sell one way or another.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

As I've stated elsewhere, Sprint as an independent entity has no real way foward.

Sprint will be relegated to the history books but it's network may survive to tell the tale depending on who purchases it be it T-mobile ripping it out root and stem or a cable carrier wanting to vertically integrate and get off Verizon's MVNO deal.

Softbank will not just let Sprint flounder and die. They will sell one way or another.

It sucks because Sprint's plans are the bomb. I have no doubt that the combined Sprint/T-Mobile network would be amazing but I don't want to lose my awesome plan. 

4 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

Also, you cant lie to regulators that is illegal.

Please demonstrate what consequences AT&T is facing for raising prices twice in the year after their merger, despite representing to regulators that permitting the merger with Time Warner would permit them to lower prices.

- Trip

• Like 9

8 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Besides the merger, is there anything that SoftBank can do at this point to right the ship?

I agree that they won’t let Sprint die, but they do seem to be letting it flounder.

11 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

I might be confused. Sprint received 2 billion or had to pay 2 billion? 

The Transcript isn’t live yet on Sprint’s Investor’s Page... but Seeking Alpha has it:

Sprint Corporation (S) CEO Michel Combes on Q4 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript $S
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4261276

“For the fourth quarter, operating loss of $1.9 billion included several non-recurring items, with the most material item being the preliminary $2 billion non-cash impairment charge that I’ve just mentioned, as well as $304 million related to a loss on asset dispositions and $130 million related to merger costs.”

“Regarding the impairment, it was part of our annual evaluation of long-lived and indefinite-lived assets under U.S. GAAP. While we delivered solid financials again in fiscal 2018, our hurdle rate has increased as the book value of our equity has grown by about $9 billion in the last six quarters, due primarily to non-cash items, including tax reform and the adoption of the new revenue standard. This non-cash accounting charge is not expected to impact liquidity, cash flows compliant to the debt covenants or any future operations.”

Something clearly lost its value... Any ideas what it is?

Besides the merger, is there anything that SoftBank can do at this point to right the ship?

I agree that they won’t let Sprint die, but they do seem to be letting it flounder.

Sell of parts of sprint and recoup as much money as SoftBank can.. that’s about all I see SoftBank doing if worse comes to worse

• Like 1

Cable Co would be the ideal partner. Watching cable companies struggle to compete against the industry as a whole, this would put them back on the map in more ways than one. Plus huge benefits from a network integration standpoint. 

Backhaul and customer acquisition(from both sides) would be two huge benefits for this marriage,  

The whole Tmo+Sprint thing just seems completely inefficient and a massive waste of Sprint's extensive network and efforts. 

• Like 2

Cable Co would be the ideal partner. Watching cable companies struggle to compete against the industry as a whole, this would put them back on the map in more ways than one. Plus huge benefits from a network integration standpoint.  Backhaul and customer acquisition(from both sides) would be two huge benefits for this marriage,  

The whole Tmo+Sprint thing just seems completely inefficient and a massive waste of Sprint's extensive network and efforts. 

Again scenarios are interesting to speak about, but which cable company has sufficient amounts of money to invest into sprint.. I read an article that sprint needs at least 10 billion to get moving.. and even a bigger cash influx to follow those 10 billion.. even if a cable company got on board by the time they are done given sprint a cash infusion for these improvements to see a return on investment prices are going to sky rocket. The T-Mobile deal works cause they already have a network grid that can make use of the assets most cable companies don’t and dish’s attempt at doing it is a joke lol and if sprint does get a cable company on board and they don’t give them a sufficient amount of cash infusion to make improvements than we are back to square 1 just like with SoftBank

4 hours ago, Trip said:

Please demonstrate what consequences AT&T is facing for raising prices twice in the year after their merger, despite representing to regulators that permitting the merger with Time Warner would permit them to lower prices.

- Trip

Which merger are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Again scenarios are interesting to speak about, but which cable company has sufficient amounts of money to invest into sprint.. I read an article that sprint needs at least 10 billion to get moving.. and even a bigger cash influx to follow those 10 billion.. even if a cable company got on board by the time they are done given sprint a cash infusion for these improvements to see a return on investment prices are going to sky rocket. The T-Mobile deal works cause they already have a network grid that can make use of the assets most cable companies don’t and dish’s attempt at doing it is a joke lol

Thinking more like Charter not Dish. Also, Sprint already has a running network, and so does Charter. I am sure that integration between those would be potentially more lucrative and organic than Tmobile completely taking down an already running network and trying to integrate. 

Which merger are you talking about?

Probably AT&T/Time Warner.

15 hours ago, dro1984 said:

It was not the Nextel merger that killed it... it was very poor management making bad decisions at the time.   

Correct.  Sprint has committed strategic blunder after blunder the past 15+ years while their executives continued to walk away with tens of millions of dollars each. (Marcelo Claure got $100mil+)

Some more examples:

- Betting on Clearwire 4G Wimax
Related image

- Partnering with LightSquared for Network Vision 1.0

Image result for sprint "network vision" lightsquared

23 minutes ago, jakeuten said:

Probably AT&T/Time Warner.

It can't be that one because the government didn't approve that one and that's any deal AT&T made with them would have been voided. The Government Sued to stop it and Time warren content prices have not risen (they did not buy time warrener cable) to distributors. So, it cant be that one.