Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The Nextel merger killed this company. The net result was a 5x5 slice of 800mhz LTE, several years of  headaches, and billions of dollars net losses.

• Like 1

Just now, NYC126 said:

The Nextel merger killed this company. The net result was a 5x5 slice of 800mhz LTE and several years headaches, and billions of dollars net losses.

Even with that catastrophic merger, Sprint still had a fighting chance.

I believe Sprint’s non-participation in the 600 MHz Auction and the failure of its monopole build plan to come to fruition was either on par or greater in terms of being a strategic blunder. This decision was ultimately Masa’s I’m thinking.

Sprint had a second bite at the apple for low band and it decided to risk everything on the monopole build plan instead. This is after going through all the motions and advocacy steps to ensure a spectrum reserve (asked for 40 MHz and it wound up being 30 MHz). Instead, T-Mobile got a huge chunk of it... and Sprint is where it is now, with none of it.

• Like 2

If that hadn't happen and Sprint was better financially, what low band spectrum would they have had before 600 mhz was available?

1 hour ago, NYC126 said:
The Nextel merger killed this company. The net result was a 5x5 slice of 800mhz LTE, several years of  headaches, and billions of dollars net losses.
59 minutes ago, RedSpark said:
Even with that catastrophic merger, Sprint still had a fighting chance.
I believe Sprint’s non-participation in the 600 MHz Auction and the failure of its monopole build plan to come to fruition was either on par or greater in terms of being a strategic blunder. This decision was ultimately Masa’s I’m thinking.
Sprint had a second bite at the apple for low band and it decided to risk everything on the monopole build plan instead. This is after going through all the motions and advocacy steps to ensure a spectrum reserve (asked for 40 MHz and it wound up being 30 MHz). Instead, T-Mobile got a huge chunk of it... and Sprint is where it is now, with none of it.

I quoted wrong that last question was for both of you.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

If that hadn't happen and Sprint was better financially, what low band spectrum would they have had before 600 mhz was available?

Sprint should have kept the 900 MHz spectrum they got from Nextel. That would have allowed them to completely dedicate PCS to LTE while leaving 1x/EV900 and 1x800 online today. 

• Like 1

Sprint should have kept the 900 MHz spectrum they got from Nextel. That would have allowed them to completely dedicate PCS to LTE while leaving 1x/EV900 and 1x800 online today. 

Oh. I don't know much about that whole thing. Why didnt they get to keep 900 mhz and how much did they have on that one?

1 hour ago, NYC126 said:

It was not the Nextel merger that killed it... it was very poor management making bad decisions at the time.   They had a ho-hum network then too... they couldn't shut down iDen because they didn't want to loose the business customers using it, nor were the able to migrate anyone over... then there was the horrid hybrid phone they tried to use. Fail... what ever Nextel customers they still had were given that junk to use and that was the death nail.   Sprint's network couldn't reach where Nextel's was already at the time because of it's 800/900 mHz it had.  A royal mess!      

19 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Oh. I don't know much about that whole thing. Why didnt they get to keep 900 mhz and how much did they have on that one?

I believe they had to turn the 900 band over to the Feds.    In exchange they got another small slice of 1900 (G-Band?)... part of the re-banding agreement??....can't remember the whole saga...

Edited by dro1984

I believe they had to turn the 900 band over to the Feds.    In exchange they got another small slice of 1900 (G-Band?)... part of the re-banding agreement??....can't remember the whole saga...
Thats right doesn't sound like Sprints fault there tho

8 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/sprint-sells-900-mhz-spectrum-to-firm-led-by-nextel-co-founders

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/pdvwireless-optimistic-900-mhz-band-will-see-action-soon

Sold to a PrivateCo, they would like to get a rulemaking clearing up the channel for legacy users and make the rest a skinny LTE network for utilities.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Thats right doesn't sound like Sprints fault there tho

They did not have to turn 900Mhz to the feds. They had 2.5Mhz of spectrum there. But the FCC froze the spectrum allocations so they could not buy any more of it. 

They did not have to turn 900Mhz to the feds. They had 2.5Mhz of spectrum there. But the FCC froze the spectrum allocations so they could not buy any more of it. 
To bad if the merger fails Sprint couldn't try to get that spectrum. They will need something if it does fail.

46 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

To bad if the merger fails Sprint couldn't try to get that spectrum. They will need something if it does fail.

Gonna have to do a deal with Dirty Dish. 

Gonna have to do a deal with Dirty Dish. 
Also what happens to dishes spectrum if they don't use it by their 2020 Deadline?

Just now, Tengen31 said:

Also what happens to dishes spectrum if they don't use it by their 2020 Deadline?

It goes up for auction doesn't it? Unless the FCC wants to be nice and give it to Sprint but that's probably not going to happen.

It goes up for auction doesn't it? Unless the FCC wants to be nice and give it to Sprint but that's probably not going to happen.
That would be awesome. I see att getting B29 that would give them 10x0 Nationwide. They have 5x0 right now

12 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

That would be awesome. I see att getting B29 that would give them 10x0 Nationwide. They have 5x0 right now

Have we ever seen anyone not use their spectrum and lose it before?

7 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I might be confused. Sprint received 2 billion or had to pay 2 billion? 

Sprint had to take a noncash goodwill impairment charge (against itself) in the amount of $2 billion.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goodwill-impairment.asp

Now that I think about it, I might have an idea what this is... Could it be the “free lines” that were potentially misrepresented as additions?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-corporation-investor-alert-wolf-203509948.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/alert-pawar-law-group-announces-221000406.html

It is the merger or sprint becomes a regional player. We will have three national carriers, better to have three strong players than the duopoly and T-Mobile.   The regulators are insane if they don't let the deal happen. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

It is the merger or sprint becomes a regional player. We will have three national carriers, better to have three strong players than the duopoly and T-Mobile.   The regulators are insane if they don't let the deal happen. 

The only thing I worry about is that I'm going to lose my awesome plan and prices are definitely going to go up. 

10 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

The only thing I worry about is that I'm going to lose my awesome plan and prices are definitely going to go up. 

Prices are going up anyway. Tmobile merge is the best way for Sprint customers to keep your plan.