Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

They just let anyone write anything on the internet and get paid for it. The least you can do is be knowledgeable about what you're writing about. This article on 9to5Mac just said Sprint isn't deploying real 5G because it's not mmWave.

The writer does not know the difference between a mobile data transmission standard (5G) and the frequency that standard is transmitted over and uses his own ignorance to bash Sprint.  This is the definition of "Fake News".  This article is wrong and should be taken down.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jreuschl said:

421 mbps on 5G? The specs for gigabit phones exceed that. Is 5G really going to provide any specific benefits having a 5G phone.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

The biggest difference with real 5G, IMO is the very low ping times...

• Like 1

In the DC area, that correlates well with sites where Massive MIMO sites have been observed on the air already.  There are additional sites outside of that area where permits have been applied for that indicate Massive MIMO gear will be installed.

- Trip

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Trip said:

In the DC area, that correlates well with sites where Massive MIMO sites have been observed on the air already.  There are additional sites outside of that area where permits have been applied for that indicate Massive MIMO gear will be installed.

- Trip

Needs more Maryland!

Hard to tell if Bethesda is covered by 5G on that map.

2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Needs more Maryland!

Hard to tell if Bethesda is covered by 5G on that map.

It appears that the three sites on the eastern shore of the Potomac at the three sites in DC.  So coverage doesn't extend into Maryland.  This is odd, because there are a number of Massive MIMO installations, from what I can glean from the MLS data, between the DC/Maryland border and the Beltway in Montgomery County, including near Bethesda and the water tower at Cabin John.

- Trip

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Trip said:

It appears that the three sites on the eastern shore of the Potomac at the three sites in DC.  So coverage doesn't extend into Maryland.  This is odd, because there are a number of Massive MIMO installations, from what I can glean from the MLS data, between the DC/Maryland border and the Beltway in Montgomery County, including near Bethesda and the water tower at Cabin John.

- Trip

Good points. Wondering why these aren’t included?

Looks like National Harbor isn’t depicted in the initial coverage area either. ☹️

3 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

When they're the only consumer at that location, that speed is good and achievable. 

Do they have 10Gbps backhaul to these sites? I doubt they do.

I think a press release on that just went out on that within the last few days.  Much too quick to actually get it beyond a test site or two.

26 minutes ago, Trip said:

- Trip

Some Massive MIMO sites may initially just be used for added 4G capacity or to fill in RF shadows according to sources.

• Like 1

6791123385222848285%253Faccount_id%253D0
3765482317760863728%253Faccount_id%253D0

I’m really impressed with the amount of coverage sprint is providing with their 5G. See this is the advantage Sprint has when it comes to 5G. Their spectrum is 5G ready and all the need to do is get Massive MIMO on these towers and backhaul. This could be really big for Sprint if the results from users are positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Isn't that kind of a small cell solution, not a quarter million dollar tower build?

The most I have seen listed on a permit is $ 131,000, but then these numbers vary widely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sascha Segan said that the 421.68Mbps 5G speed test in Chicago was done on 60MHz of spectrum. 

Only using two layers of Massive MIMO and without dual connectivity....

Lots of headroom here...

Samsung’s equipment is capable of supporting over 1.5 Gbps.

421 Mbps doesn't say real 5G either. It just looks like there is no one else using it. 2x2 MIMO with 20 MHz is 150 Mbps then times that by 3 for 60 Mhz so the max for lte would be 450 Mbps. The 30 Mbps lost could be qam bouncing. It does not show so any magic 5g yet it just shows there is unused spectrum left to use.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Only video ive seen from John Saw's 5G Presentation at MWC..

They really need to get this guy out front more. He is obviously knowledgeable then proceeds to explain this upgrade to a group in such a concise manner, even journalists can understand it well. 

John is funny and charismatic with the crowd, he has been with Sprint for so long. Marcelo went from surprise new CEO, awkward Wall Street talking head appearances, to selling a merger. No one is really sure what his customer facing role is outside of rich people poasting on Twitter.

Another great presser from Dr. John.

Thanks for finding this NextgenCPU!

• Like 7

On 2/13/2019 at 10:26 AM, Paynefanbro said:

You can rag on Sprint about a lot of things but lack of 256QAM and no deplpoyment of Massive MIMO isn't one of those things.

I can definitely say though that even though Sprint only has two carrier aggregation deployed on the large cell site in town it flies it goes pretty quick it easily keeps up with Verizon. So Sprint has definitely turned up the back haul.

• Like 2

421 Mbps doesn't say real 5G either. It just looks like there is no one else using it. 2x2 MIMO with 20 MHz is 150 Mbps then times that by 3 for 60 Mhz so the max for lte would be 450 Mbps. The 30 Mbps lost could be qam bouncing. It does not show so any magic 5g yet it just shows there is unused spectrum left to use.
That's on FDD to get 150 Mbps. B41 is TDD. This is just testing

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk