Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

21 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Sprint still hasn't finished El Paso?!? I know there are a few sites that haven't been touched in West Texas (SW of Monahans and between Van Horn and Fort Stockton), but if this site is in the immediate El Paso area, then this is just....?.

Right with you... We have a number of 3G sites in parts of Maryland surrounding DC.

Every time I visit family in Derwood outside of Rockville, service tanks to a mix of None/1x or 3G at best... outdoors. I’ve reported it for years now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Some required core updates, prerequisite upgrades, Samsung sites may have required special modules and then changing the GCI sectors (Sprint tends not to go ahead until all three of its vendors can do something. Latest example - Massive MIMO). Another huge factor was likely the cost of backhaul. They also had to get Son's approval and raise the capital.  5G represents a leapfrog opportunity for Sprint.  Most people don't understand how close to bankruptcy Sprint was before Marcelo took over.

Sprint has to get on the right side of the curve to get adds, which leads to cash flow, which enables network upgrades... and effective marketing of that improved performance leads to more adds. Unfortunately, SoftBank hasn’t contributed enough capital to get Sprint on a positive feedback loop of the aforementioned.

Agree 100%: Sprint was in terrible shape when Marcelo came on board. I recall the early conference transcripts where Marcelo said his employees couldn’t explain Sprint’s value proposition to him and where he said Sprint’s 10% share of gross adds rendered it effectively irrelevant: https://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/call-transcript.aspx?StoryID=2675845&Title=sprints-s-ceo-marcelo-claure-presents-at-wells-fargo-technology-media-and-telecom-conference-transcript

“And I’ll tell you probably my biggest surprise is, what I’d like to call, the monthly market share or better referred as, share of gross adds. And in the month of August, I think I took my first day in the job was August 12 in Kansas City, our share of gross adds was 10%. When you’re 10%, that means you are not even part of the conversation, you’re irrelevant. When you go from a – when you have a market share of 16%, and a share of gross adds of 10%, that means you are under-indexing your true capabilities. So that was a big surprise, one of the things that we found. Secondly, what’s the amount of customers leaving us in comparison to coming? So we were network negative. The quality of our subscribers that we were attracting, they were lot more in sub-prime area than I would have liked.”

“So, those sort of things were a big surprise. And I would have liked to have a little more time to understand, let's say, everything on the business, but when you look at those numbers, you just don’t have time.”

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

This tower has to be 4x4 mimo. Its speeds are too consistent. 250-320 mbps at all times.712d3fb5dd77cebd9de8cffbd41a9d25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Try to get shots of the Macro site itself, it could be M-MIMO.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, tyroned3222 said:

I thought I'd do the honors lol and whats crazy this is only the beginning.. this seems to be their first real big push towards improving the Network across the Nation

https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/1030080324217102336?s=19

Still need the merger ?

Well, Sprint gets to check this one off as a big win

From a coverage standpoint yeah. Data speeds are not as important as coverage

5 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Right with you... We have a number of 3G sites in parts of Maryland surrounding DC.

Every time I visit family in Derwood outside of Rockville, service tanks to a mix of None/1x or 3G at best... outdoors. I’ve reported it for years now.

That's funny, everytime I go to Derwood, I'm in band 41. FedEx station right off of Calhoun. 

27 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

That's funny, everytime I go to Derwood, I'm in band 41. FedEx station right off of Calhoun. 

That’s encouraging to hear!

I have family north of Bowie Mill Road in the area northwest of Norbeck Country Club, bounded between 108 to the northeast and 115 to the southwest.

Outdoor coverage in that area has been terrible for years.

Here is an odd signal that I get all the time at work.... Not the best!

Why is upload so much better than download?  

work signal.jpg

Edited by dro1984

14 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

From a coverage standpoint yeah. Data speeds are not as important as coverage

T-Mobile has 65,000 macro sites right now. That's 20,000 more than Sprint. The merged company will have 85,000. Yeah, almost twice as many as Sprint has right now. People that are ant-merger, wake me up when Sprint on its own can get to 85,000 macro sites.

• Like 3

Tmobile has 65,000 total sites including many many  DAS nodes inherited from MetroPCS that I've come across. They do not have by themselves  65,000 macro sites. It's closer to 45-50k range. 

I was about to say the same. The combined company is going to have a around a 110 thousand combined sites.. T-Mobile in the public filing stated that they will only keep 10, 000 of Sprint sites to boost density and capacity.. the rest of the sites to equal the 85000 the new T-Mobile is going to newly build

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Here is an odd signal that I get all the time at work.... Not the best!

Why is upload so much better than download?  

work signal.jpg

Anytime upload is faster than down load is a sign of congestion

2 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

I was about to say the same. The combined company is going to have a around a 110 thousand combined sites.. T-Mobile in the public filing stated that they will only keep 10, 000 of Sprint sites to boost density and capacity.. the rest of the sites to equal the 85000 the new T-Mobile is going to newly build

As an answer to @lilotimz whose post was withdrawn, Metro only had about 6000DAS which serve to extend their coverage. If I am in the exurbs and I am fed from a DAS, I don't care whether I am fed from a DAS or a full build site. All I care is that I have signal. Of course I am simplifying here because there are different kinds of DAS systems: off-air (passive, active, digital, hybrid), BTS (enodeB) and small cell based DAS.

45 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Anytime upload is faster than down load is a sign of congestion

That available speed is almost like not having data at all.    0.17mbps....  

1 minute ago, dro1984 said:

That available speed is almost like not having data at all.    0.17mbps....  

Why are you still on Sprint? If my service was as bad as yours I would have moved on to something that works for me.

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Why are you still on Sprint? If my service was as bad as yours I would have moved on to something that works for me.

Poor network is poor network.   This is at work not my home, though my home speeds have fallen off substantially also.  I have a great promo plan.    

You sir are in a great signal area if you are in fact in NYC so please don't pass judgement that all is well around  the country because you have great network speeds.   

Edited by dro1984

Here's my home speeds ... they used to be rthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2egularly 30mbps... now this... and as of late, this is pretty good.   Still not what they used to be.   But I have one year to used my discounted plan before I decide to stay or leave again.   My hope is that the merger goes through.    By the way... not a huge issue at home... as I can use WiFi  

Edited by dro1984

9 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Poor network is poor network.   This is at work not my home, though my home speeds have fallen off substantially also.  I have a great promo plan.    

You sir are in a great signal area if you are in fact in NYC so please don't pass judgement that all is well around  the country because you have great network speeds.   

Pass judgement? It seems that you aren't happy with the service, as you've indicated multiple times. Why not move on to something that works for you, that's my point. Also, yes I am happy with the service, here in NY, NJ, PA and when I travel internationally it has worked pretty solidly. Has it been perfect? Nope! But if it were as bad as it seems to be for you, I would have voted with my wallet and left a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

Sure thing.   Thanks for the advice.   Enjoy your Sprint experience.   

I don't get your response at all. He asked a reasonable question. If you're not happy, why not leave. He didn't make any statements regarding how well it worked for him, at least in the initial post, so why you had to include that does not make sense. 

• Like 4