Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

5 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Figured it would be one of the two companies but I'm not certain it'll be a flagship. Just like the HTC Bolt was Sprint's first gigabit LTE capable device, this could easily be a mid-range device that has 5G capability as its main selling point. Even Samsung mentioned that the S10 won't be its first 5G capable device.

I think they should learn from those mistakes and make it a full on halo device. That's really the only way to really get people's attention. 

Like the HTC EVO, it really made a dent in the industry. 

15 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

First gigabit lte phone on sprint was the Galaxy S8, not the HTC bolt, the bolt maxed out at 600mb

13 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I think the Bolt was the first 3xCA phone, and the Moto Play Z2 was first Gigabit LTE device.

Whoops, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the correction.

19 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

Isn't the X50 just a mmWave 5G radio?

Quote from Qualcomm X50 page..

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/modems/5g/x50

"The QTM052 mmWave antenna module family and the Qualcomm® QPM56xx sub-6 GHz RF module family combine with the Snapdragon X50 5G modem to deliver modem-to-antenna capabilities across several spectrum bands, in a very compact footprint that is suited for integration in mobile devices."

I thought I'd do the honors lol and whats crazy this is only the beginning.. this seems to be their first real big push towards improving the Network across the Nation

https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/1030080324217102336?s=19

Still need the merger ?

5d8caf8047930f54a8a4f5549e820367.jpg

Well, Sprint gets to check this one off as a big win

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

I thought I'd do the honors lol and whats crazy this is only the beginning.. this seems to be their first real big push towards improving the Network across the Nation

Still need the merger ?

Honestly they have all the tools to really bring it with 5G hell even with 4G(we all know what happened there). They just lack  scale which is going to possibly be a problem for 5G and density.  If Sprint can get to together, I have no problem coming back for their 5G network cause I know they can outdo the competition and not have a crap ton of small cells on every other block cause of MmWave. 

Honestly they have all the tools to really bring it with 5G hell even with 4G(we all know what happened there). They just lack  scale which is going to possibly be a problem for 5G and density.  If Sprint can get to together, I have no problem coming back for their 5G network cause I know they can outdo the competition and not have a crap ton of small cells on every other block cause of MmWave. 
Yup and Sprint still has less user per site ... So the network should run very smooth and fast .. in a lot of cities all the Network needed in most cases was just getting tri band on their grid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyroned3222 said:

https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/1030080324217102336?s=19

Still need the merger ?

Well, Sprint gets to check this one off as a big win

All this without 4x4MIMO in NYC! Once that's enabled, I don't see how any of the other carriers will touch Sprint.

9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

All this without 4x4MIMO in NYC! Once that's enabled, I don't see how any of the other carriers will touch Sprint.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.  Within 6 months both Verizon and AT&T will have answered this*.  Sprint improves in so few places that it does not cost the duo much to answer each one before the public catches on and Sprint can reap significant rewards.  Such a reply is much more difficult with T-Mobile since they have significant cash flow.

* I have seen this happen many times over the years.

Still improvements like this should be celebrated by us Sprint users!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.  Within 6 months both Verizon and AT&T will have answered this*.  Sprint improves in so few places that it does not cost the duo much to answer each one before the public catches on and Sprint can reap significant rewards.  Such a reply is much more difficult with T-Mobile since they have significant cash flow.

I think NYC is unique in the sense that all carriers are super dense and are using pretty much most of their spectrum (Refarming is only way to get around this and Tmobile has some unused 600Mhz, but what about 5G?) But the other 3 players already have most of their spectrum at play and also 4x4MIMO live. 

13 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

That’s a great point. We’ve seen this happen with Sprint before, where it would gain the lead in a flagship market like Chicago only to lose it after 6 - 12 Months as the other carriers catch up.

Is the pace of network improvements at this point primarily limited by available capex, available work crews or available equipment?

I hope they can bring some strand mounts or other rapid network improvements to the Bethany Beach, DE and Ocean City, MD areas. I was there several years ago and the network coverage was terrible. I currently have family there now on Sprint (with an S8+ and HTC U11) and they’re telling me it’s still terrible.

18 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I think NYC is unique in the sense that all carriers are super dense and are using pretty much most of their spectrum (Refarming is only way to get around this and Tmobile has some unused 600Mhz, but what about 5G?) But the other 3 players already have most of their spectrum at play and also 4x4MIMO live. 

5G is the truly unique item for Sprint.  Do they have enough cash to make it fully work in a few markets?  Ideally you would want all sites with Massive MIMO, which would be best done in a market where Sprint has all the B41 spectrum.  If they do just a handful of sites in each market, people will quickly see through that and only the innovators will buy 5G phones.

That’s a great point. We’ve seen this happen with Sprint before, where it would gain the lead in a flagship market like Chicago only to lose it after 6 - 12 Months as the other carriers catch up.
Is the pace of network improvements at this point primarily limited by available capex, available work crews or available equipment?
I hope they can bring some strand mounts or other rapid network improvements to the Bethany Beach, DE and Ocean City, MD areas. I was there several years ago and the network coverage was terrible. I currently have family there now on Sprint (with an S8+ and HTC U11) and they’re telling me it’s still terrible.
This time around it's different ( imo).. Sprint was very indecisive in the past( they only kind of Improved in those market and didn't go all out 100%).

Sprint knows what's at risk and this time around i don't see them letting up.. at nextgencpu pointed out this was achieve pure spectrum and small cells.. so, Sprint celebrate this a few days and gets back to work.. running higher back haul, implementing 4x4 mimo, and massive is next and more aggressive throughout NYC.. I think this is only the beginning now Sprint will let loose

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

5G is the truly unique item for Sprint.  Do they have enough cash to make it fully work in a few markets?  Ideally you would want all sites with Massive MIMO, which would be best done in a market where Sprint has all the B41 spectrum.  If they do just a handful of sites in each market, people will quickly see through that and only the innovators will buy 5G phones.

That’s a great question and point you raised. We experienced this with 8T8R antennas where it seemed like the news about them vastly exceeded the actual deployments.

Sprint laid out its 5G deployment expectations in its Public Interest Statement on Pages 23-25: https://newtmobile.com/content/uploads/2018/06/T-Mobile-Sprint-Public-Interest-Statement.pdf

It’s not a particularly rosy picture. There’s a lot more detail in the subsequent pages.

The specific number of Massive MIMO sites Sprint expects to update in 2018-2019 and by 2020 is redacted.

A couple of years back they were close or the best carrier in Chicago, and during the last 12 months, they fell back to the end of the line.  Even better in Denver, they led the overall award for 4 straight quarters, and now it has fallen back to the end of the pack. I hate to agree with Massa Son, but this is where scale plays a big role, the twin bells only need to drop millions on upgrades or densification without hurting their wallet and its put them back to the top on any particular market.

• Like 1