Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

6 hours ago, derrph said:

More Tidal news that's not good news. Some serious accusations are being thrown. Sprint should have just kept their relationship with Spotify. why did that end anyways if anyone knows?

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/jay-z-tidal-accused-of-falsifying-beyonce-and-kanye-west-streaming-numbers-1202804222/

Honestly, Sprint’s Tidal investment was a waste of $200 Million with very limited upside. I don’t understand why they did this. There’s too much competition in Music steaming and Tidal isn’t even on the radar vs Apple Music, etc.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Honestly, Sprint’s Tidal investment was a waste of $200 Million with very limited upside. I don’t understand why they did this. There’s too much competition in Music steaming and Tidal isn’t even on the radar vs Apple Music, etc.

I see this as Sprint was getting on board with the low hanging fruit in the music streaming world. I have to wonder how many people kept Tidal after the 6 month trial.  From the looks of things, not too many. The service has about 1 million subs. To this day, I still feel as though Tidal wrote so many people off with their press conference with all those millionaire artists on stage practically crying about they aren’t making the money they should from streaming services.  Then they tried to clean it up saying Tidal is about the indie artist as well. If they would’ve kept the message of the indie artist, they would’ve have more subs to this day. Sprint please bring back Spotify they had a good thing with them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I wonder what T-Mobile will do with the 33% ownership of Tidal? Marcelo is also a board member of Tidal. What will happen to that?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I wonder what T-Mobile will do with the 33% ownership of Tidal? Marcelo is also a board member of Tidal. What will happen to that?

who knows for sure. i m interested to see if the deal gets shot down or not.....

8 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Great question. This Tidal investment was a bad idea from the start in my opinion. It was a distraction from actually improving the network.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Sprint is now the most active carrier in my area in terms of upgrades ... So definitely no slow downs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you experienced any change in service?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Great question. This Tidal investment was a bad idea from the start in my opinion. It was a distraction from actually improving the network.

I know $200 miilion was chump change in the grand scheme of Capital Expenditure costs, but that money could have prevented some of the layoffs Sprint saw at HQ.

The worst part about the Sprint+Tidal cross promotion was that it was a huge missed opportunity by Sprint. Sprint gave away 6 months free at one point to anyone who used the code "Sprint". And the Jay-Z album release promotion was even worse. I remember reading the T-Mobile Reddit and people were gloating about getting the album for free without being a Sprint customer. Considering T-Mobile locks down their T-Mobile Tuesday giveaways, this was a bit infuriating. It was a botched opportunity by Sprint to reward its loyal customers. Sprint buying up all those album copies was the only reason Jay-Z broke digital album sale records those first few weeks.

Just a huge SMH moment at Sprint.

• Like 1

Have you experienced any change in service?
Not yet, these upgrades are very recent the sites have not gone live yet with b41... Sprint is doing 5 upgrades less then a week that's pretty impressive

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I know $200 miilion was chump change in the grand scheme of Capital Expenditure costs, but that money could have prevented some of the layoffs Sprint saw at HQ.

The worst part about the Sprint+Tidal cross promotion was that it was a huge missed opportunity by Sprint. Sprint gave away 6 months free at one point to anyone who used the code "Sprint". And the Jay-Z album release promotion was even worse. I remember reading the T-Mobile Reddit and people were gloating about getting the album for free without being a Sprint customer. Considering T-Mobile locks down their T-Mobile Tuesday giveaways, this was a bit infuriating. It was a botched opportunity by Sprint to reward its loyal customers. Sprint buying up all those album copies was the only reason Jay-Z broke digital album sale records those first few weeks.

Are you shocked the T-Mobile Reddit was going crazy about getting a free album? They love free handouts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Not yet, these upgrades are very recent the sites have not gone live yet with b41... Sprint is doing 5 upgrades less then a week that's pretty impressive

wow that's not bad at all. They might be doing a cluster launch. I'm just glad to hear that Sprint is full steam ahead as if the merger wasn't on the table. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

That's sort of bittersweet news. Yeah, it's great El Paso is finally seeing upgrades. But it's also a bit frustrating that it's happening on the eve of Massive MIMO (and with the merger looming). This likely means El Paso won't be seeing 64T64R anytime soon.

I stayed in downtown El Paso a few years ago and data was slow for Sprint. When I got to the hotel (which had a view of Juarez), I turned off all the Sprint bands and roamed on Movistar. Sadly, it was a more pleasant experience than being on Sprint (or my T-Mobile tablet for that matter). Hopefully I can go back later this year to catch a game at the Sun Bowl. It's one of the few College stadiums I have yet to visit. 

• Like 2

That's sort of bittersweet news. Yeah, it's great El Paso is finally seeing upgrades. But it's also a bit frustrating that it's happening on the eve of Massive MIMO (and with the merger looming). This likely means El Paso won't be seeing 64T64R anytime soon.

I stayed in downtown El Paso a few years ago and data was slow for Sprint. When I got to the hotel (which had a view of Juarez), I turned off all the Sprint bands and roamed on Movistar. Sadly, it was a more pleasant experience than being on Sprint (or my T-Mobile tablet for that matter). Hopefully I can go back later this year to catch a game at the Sun Bowl. It's one of the few College stadiums I have yet to visit. 

Unfortunately, even in almost mid 2018 sprint still only has 1 tower downtown it is band 41 now , but it's doesnt help much with coverage .. the sun bowl doesn't have a Sprint Tower close by .. TMO att Verizon have sites pointing directly inside the stadium .. sprint has a tower on the U BUILDING, but it's still not band 41

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Unfortunately, even in almost mid 2018 sprint still only has 1 tower downtown it is band 41 now , but it's doesnt help much with coverage .. the sun bowl doesn't have a Sprint Tower close by .. TMO att Verizon have sites pointing directly inside the stadium .. sprint has a tower on the U BUILDING, but it's still not band 41

I've do remember seeing cell tower equipment installed on one of the stadium's lighting towers and a standalone cell tower next to it. Drove right past it so I didn't really get a good look to see if any of them belonged to Sprint.

It must be hard to deploy service there using traditional cell towers/equipment. The stadium/university sit next to a mountain top that sits next to the international border. Too many cell towers, and you cause interference in Mexico. Not enough cell towers and you get coverage holes inside buildings.

UTEP is a great candidate for small cells.

Edited by greenbastard

3 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

Sprint plans on having Band 41 on all of their sites by the end of the fiscal year so by the time the Sun Bowl comes around, you may have Band 41 on that site.

• Like 1

I've do remember seeing cell tower equipment installed on one of the stadium's lighting towers and a standalone cell tower next to it. Drove right past it and didn't really get a good look. 
It must be hard to deploy service there using traditional cell towers/equipment. The stadium/university sit next to a mountain top that sits next to the international border. Too many cell towers, and you cause interference in Mexico. Not enough cell towers and you get coverage holes inside buildings.
UTEP is a great candidate for small cells.
The tower on the light pole is TMO ... The standalone is Verizon and later att co located ... TMO added a tower deadsmack in the middle of campus.. Verizon added a site across the street..

• Like 1

Sprint plans on having Band 41 on all of their sites by the end of the fiscal year which so by the time the Sun Bowl comes around, you may have Band 41 on that site.
Ya with the current work happening... I believe that 100% quiet shocked

35 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Not necessarily. I've seen Tmo upgrade an area, that come back and do that one back again early with the next upgrade round.

3 hours ago, greenbastard said:

I agree. $200 Million is a drop in the bucket for capex overall... but if it was targeted capex reserved for Sprint’s poorest performing sites, it could have done a huge amount of good.

Instead, as you said, it was largely wasted on this Promo which was poorly executed to the point that the offer was claimed by non-Sprint customers.

Looking back at how the merger came together, Sprint seemed to have money for everything but its network. It’s really frustrating to see this.

The Hulu Offer makes a lot more sense. Hulu is a competitive service right in line with Netflix. On the other hand, Tidal doesn’t have a real future vs its competitors.

6 hours ago, greenbastard said:

What is happening now does not dictate what happens in the future. They are deploying repidly in El Paso right now to get ready for the 800 spectrum to clear. They should be able to light up 1x800 and Band 26 by the end of the year, so they are getting the equipment in place for that. So while they're at it, they're putting up the new dual-band 800-2500 antennas so they are ready for more capacity. Just because they are doing B41 now does not mean they won't be putting up massive MIMO in the future. Granted, El Paso probably isn't high on the list, but it's not because of the upgrades that are having right now.

Sprint really ought to just offer Tidal HiFi for free to Sprint customers. Or get rid of the Hulu limited commercials deal, bump it up to the no commercials deal, then offer a choice between Tidal and Hulu. One way of integrating this would be to scrap the family plans and just offer per line pricing with these choices. $45 pl/pm - neither, $60 pl/pm - either, $75 pl/pm - both. No streaming quality restrictions, 45gb per line/per month until possible deprioritization.

I think the New T-Mobile might do something similar if the merger happens, but adding a $90 pl/pm plan for Tidal, Hulu, and Netflix, along with raising the deprioritization limit to 90gb per line/per month. It'll be seen as a great bargain while hopefully raising ARPUs away from this cheap multi-line garbage going on still with pricing, to where also hopefully it'll bring back fair individual line prices.

Seriously at that time, what would be the point of having "$45 per line if you have four lines" - type plans, if the carrier can say "for $90 per line, per month, you get unlimited data (up to 90gb before possible deprioritization), no streaming quality restrictions, Netflix UHD 4k and Hulu No Commercials streaming video plans both included, along with Tidal HiFi audio, all included!"

Another great thing about removing family plan/multi-line pricing models, is in the area of individual billing that could sensibly possibly bring back programs like Framily, where there could be a central account charged at $15 monthly, and each line at $5 monthly, no line restrictions, all lines get their own private billing, all taxes included regardless of location, and so on. Then instead of using multi-line discounts, there could be point rewards based on line loyalty, and larger number of points offered the bigger the account is (the more lines to the account, the greater number of points rewarded to the account, split per-line). I'd really like to see this done, if its implemented well.

Im getting a magic box, not my decision I live with my sister and fiancee but they both have iPhones and get horrible service both are iPhone 8's. They're lucky to get two bars of LTE but here I am on B25 with 5 bars or B41 4 bars and no complaints whatsoever. HPUE is the determining factor I imagine they're fed up while I have no complaints lol, I get great service. And in my experience iPhones have never had great signal strength even when I had them, they swear now no more iPhones after this point lol. But I digress I'll take a magic box for a perfect experience everytime lol even though we have a 300 Xfinity home internet at home but it's been flakey lately I find myself just using LTE at this point, 60-100Mbps is more than usable lol.

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

Im getting a magic box, not my decision I live with my sister and fiancee but they both have iPhones and get horrible service both are iPhone 8's. They're lucky to get two bars of LTE but here I am on B25 with 5 bars or B41 4 bars and no complaints whatsoever. HPUE is the determining factor I imagine they're fed up while I have no complaints lol, I get great service. And in my experience iPhones have never had great signal strength even when I had them, they swear now no more iPhones after this point lol. But I digress I'll take a magic box for a perfect experience everytime lol even though we have a 300 Xfinity home internet at home but it's been flakey lately I find myself just using LTE at this point, 60-100Mbps is more than usable lol.

I have gigabit Xfinity Internet. Sprint works great but I get ludicrous speed on my Wi-Fi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

I have gigabit Xfinity Internet. Sprint works great but I get ludicrous speed on my Wi-Fi.

I just have a lot of problems with connectivity, I'll have full strength wifi and nothing loads and times out. Common for comcast though lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

My comcast WiFi is insane! My charter works well too charter never goes below 100 down (Speedtest) my Comcast is just ridiculous speeds. Seems like they’re both always telling me I got a speed upgrade.