Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Just now, nexgencpu said:

This is a different argument, I've heard multiple times in this discussion that uploads are congested. But let me tell you, in my personal case where my area is limited to 2xCA, the change in config brought on nearly equal upload and download, where before, uploads consistently outperformed downloads.

My issue with the timing change was that poor upload speeds became very noticable whenever you went below -110 RSRP or if you were indoors. Before I ported out, I would routinely turn off B41 just so I could send an MMS in a timely manner.

Before the timing change, I could see at least 0.5 Mbps on upload even with a weak signal. After the change, speed tests would routinely time out during the UL portion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

My issue with the timing change was that poor upload speeds became very noticable whenever you went below -110 RSRP or if you were indoors. Before I ported out, I would routinely turn off B41 just so I could send an MMS in a timely manner.

Before the timing change, I could see at least 0.5 Mbps on upload even with a weak signal. After the change, speed tests would routinely time out during the UL portion.

I believe this issue is more apparent with non HPUE devices, but yes I do see sub .50 uploads alot more often.

6 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I believe this issue is more apparent with non HPUE devices, but yes I do see sub .50 uploads alot more often.

Considering the fact that iPhones don’t support HPUE yet, this is a real issue, and I’ve experienced it.

Perhaps Apple deserves some of the blame here as well for being such a laggard on this, but they don’t support 600 MHz either for T-Mobile. (Heck, the iPhone SE doesn’t even support Carrier Aggregation.)

Sprint’s in a fix here since a substantial number of devices on its network don’t support HPUE.

• Like 1

Apple absent from growing Sprint HPUE device list (October 27, 2017)

A Sprint representative told Mobile World Live the operator expects more than 10 per cent of its smartphone base to have an HPUE-enabled phone by the end of 2017. The figure is anticipated to grow to more than 33 per cent of the base in 2018, she added.

——————————————

So according to this, there’s quite a way to go for Sprint in terms of seeding HPUE devices to the user base.

Apple could do its part by actually releasing a device that supports it. ?

12 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Now where are the HPUE bashers?  :dead:

Robert using Pixel XL via Tapatalk

I remember my first HPUE bashing like it was yesterday. The GS8+ has received so many baseband updates since then and it's a way way better b41 performer now. Better than the Note 5 and most other phones that have it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Now where are the HPUE bashers?  :dead:

Robert using Pixel XL via Tapatalk

Would the combined companies support HPUE?

13 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Would the combined companies support HPUE?

Since the New Tmo has B41 right in the middle of its strategy, they'd be crazy to walk away from HPUE.  I don't see any B41 HPUE changes coming.  Maybe even incremental improvement.

• Like 4

Signal check showed me a Band 25 second carrier but reflected it as 10x10 in maine..is that something fairly new being deployed?  I can only assume the first carrier is also 10x10 and i didnt think they were able to do 10x10 on both.

Signal check showed me a Band 25 second carrier but reflected it as 10x10 in maine..is that something fairly new being deployed?  I can only assume the first carrier is also 10x10 and i didnt think they were able to do 10x10 on both.
Could you maybe post pics of both carriers?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Could you maybe post pics of both carriers?

this is all that i grabbed.  im only down that way on the weekends.  i even exited Signal Check in case it was a bug but it persisted even through the relaunch of it.  no chance they would make a second carrier 10x10 while the first is 5x5?

Screenshot_20180505-193904.png

1 minute ago, swintec said:

this is all that i grabbed.  im only down that way on the weekends.  i even exited Signal Check in case it was a bug but it persisted even through the relaunch of it.  no chance they would make a second carrier 10x10 while the first is 5x5?

Sprint has been expanding B25 to 10x10 all over the country where available, and yes, many places do have 10x10+5x5. 

5 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Sprint has been expanding B25 to 10x10 all over the country where available, and yes, many places do have 10x10+5x5. 

i knew that, just never seen the 2nd carrier as 10x10.  they had a big push here in the last month or so where the first (or only) band 25 carrier is now 10x10 so i only assumed in this case they did a 2nd 10x10 for a total of 10x10+10x10 and i thought that wasnt possible.

3 minutes ago, swintec said:

i knew that, just never seen the 2nd carrier as 10x10.  they had a big push here in the last month or so where the first (or only) band 25 carrier is now 10x10 so i only assumed in this case they did a 2nd 10x10 for a total of 10x10+10x10 and i thought that wasnt possible.

Some markets are indeed 10x10+10x10.

• Like 1

Some markets are indeed 10x10+10x10.

Which ones I didn't know that? Chicago is one I'm guessing.

In Pittburgh, there was only a single B25 carrier that was 10x10 (expanded G block, earfcn 8640 like in your screenshots). They recently added a contiguous 5x5 carrier just before the 10x10 carrier, and on sites where they did that, they changed the 10x10 carrier GCI endings like in your screenshot and put the new 5x5 carrier in the 00, 01, 02 slots.

So my guess is your market recently got a new 5x5 carrier, and they changed the GCI endings for the existing 10x10 so that it appears as the second carrier now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swintec said:

In many areas where they have large holdings in the A or B block, they have pushed the second carrier to 10x10 while the original G Block remains 5x5. New York City and surrounding area is an example of this. 

That said, what you have there appears to be a 10x10 carrier centered between the G and C blocks. Are you seeing a 2nd carrier on any other frequencies? 

31 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Are you seeing a 2nd carrier on any other frequencies? 

No, not yet.  However, on a walk around town this evening, my "home" site now has the 2nd band 25 carrier as 10x10.  this is a fairly recent change.  Same frequencies as my above screenshot.

up until now, my two most used sites had the first band 25 carrier at 10x10 and that happened within the last 3-4 weeks and now i am seeing this change above.  So...they either undid their previous work, changed the 1st carrier back to 5x5 and then launched this 2nd carrier today and made it 10x10 or we just have two band 25 carriers at 10x10 each.  I wont know for sure until i can some how get placed on the 1st band 25 carrier when i am out in my travels this week.  do the resources exist up here for two 10x10 carriers?

38 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

what you have there appears to be a 10x10 carrier centered between the G and C blocks.

is this significant and out of their norm?

19 minutes ago, swintec said:

is this significant and out of their norm?

No, some of the first 10x10 carriers we saw spanned the G and C blocks. Very easy to expand the original G block to 10x10 where Sprint has the correct C block holdings. 

Where was the previous 10x10 carrier located (EARFCN)? Is it possible they just changed the GCI endings so that SCP now thinks it is a second carrier? The only reason it is labeled as 2nd carrier is because of the GCI endings. 1st and 2nd carrier labels are arbitrary. 

My market shows as 10x10 second carrier as well, centered at 1990. There is no other carrier present yet. I believe user:ingenium explained above why it shows that way in our area in scp as ^2, our sectors now end in 11, 12 and 13 on band 25; previously at 01, 02 and 03. This is all exciting to see. Great find!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

My market shows as 10x10 second carrier as well, centered at 1990. There is no other carrier present yet. I believe user:ingenium explained above why it shows that way in our area in scp as ^2, our sectors now end in 11, 12 and 13 on band 25; previously at 01, 02 and 03. This is all exciting to see. Great find!

that is possible.  last 4 of the GCI used to be FC01-03 for band 25 and now it appears it was changed to FC11-13.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swintec said:

I died when I saw it and did the math. I thought, well where is the first carrier now!?!? Since we were strictly OGblock until this change, and this was expanded I had to plug in some LTE radios and scan the rest of the band 2 channels. They are still CDMA.

That is 50% more bandwidth on the local GMO so no complaining here. Just made me do some searching to confirm, which was fun in and of itself.

58 minutes ago, swintec said:

that is possible.  last 4 of the GCI used to be FC01-03 for band 25 and now it appears it was changed to FC11-13.

Based on what you've posted earlier, it sounds like they just switched the GCI endings from 01-03 to 11-13 without actually adding another carrier. SCP uses those endings to decided what bands and carriers you are connected to, but the rules it uses to decided are not set in stone. They may have just decided to make the switch... because. It may also be that they are planning on adding another carrier in other spectrum Sprint owns in your area, but I am not familiar with the holdings so I couldn't speculate to that very well.

More Tidal news that's not good news. Some serious accusations are being thrown. Sprint should have just kept their relationship with Spotify. why did that end anyways if anyone knows?

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/jay-z-tidal-accused-of-falsifying-beyonce-and-kanye-west-streaming-numbers-1202804222/