Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Quick question : will HPUE still work the same with a nokia mini macro set up? ... Casue it's still the same antennas just added rrus... Sorry if this has been answered already.. I'm just notcing that sprint is going to blanket my market with mini macros set ups

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Quick question : will HPUE still work the same with a nokia mini macro set up? ... Casue it's still the same antennas just added rrus... Sorry if this has been answered already.. I'm just notcing that sprint is going to blanket my market with mini macros set ups

Yes, its an increase of power in the uplink on band 41 from the handset, so connection reliability is increased regardless of what B41 device its attached too, be it Macro or small cell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Well I received a invitation from Sprint to join there customer insight panel. And I did. 

Wow!

What does this consist of?

2 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Surveys, discussions and reporting problems I would imagine. It is direct to Sprint. First time I've done this in my whole time with them. 

Very nice. I wonder what the invitation criteria are.

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

Marcelo posted a tweet. He is pretty much getting roasted in his mentions, replies.

This isn’t the first time Marcelo has taken a public position on issues:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/racism-has-no-place-at-sprint.htm

I hope this new Tax structure results in higher CapEx by Sprint and better salaries/benefits for its employees.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

This isn’t the first time Marcelo has taken a public position on issues:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/racism-has-no-place-at-sprint.htm

I hope this new Tax structure results in higher CapEx by Sprint and better salaries/benefits for its employees.

This is a great example. 

I am looking forward to positive results for employees and the company. 

• Thanks 1

Those comments on that tweet are brutal. Someone on Sprint's social media team should help Marcelo navigate landmines like this. Racism is a perfectly acceptable and safe thing to denounce. A partisan issue like the tax bill is clearly emotionally charged and it probably would've been best for him not to comment publicly on it one way or the other.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rawvega said:

Those comments on that tweet are brutal. Someone on Sprint's social media team should help Marcelo navigate landmines like this. Racism is a perfectly acceptable and safe thing to denounce. A partisan issue like the tax bill is clearly emotionally charged and it probably would've been best for him not to comment publicly on it one way or the other.

People can post whatever they want on Twitter. That’s something that can’t be controlled and “trolling” mentions/replies is nothing new over there.

A substantial number of companies have made public statements (including on Twitter) on what the Tax Bill means for their companies and employees going forward:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/business/corporations-tax-cut-gop-tax-bill

Given these other companies’ statements, why should Marcelo have refrained from commenting on it?

• Like 1

People can post whatever they want on Twitter. That’s something that can’t be controlled and “trolling” mentions/replies is nothing new over there.
A substantial number of companies have made public statements (including on Twitter) on what the Tax Bill means for their companies and employees going forward:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/business/corporations-tax-cut-gop-tax-bill
Given these other companies’ statements, why should Marcelo have refrained from commenting on it?
Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should.

A company statement is not the same as comments from a public figure within an organization.
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should.

Not sure what you mean by this here.

11 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

A company statement is not the same as comments from a public figure within an organization.

Not sure I understand what distinction you are making? Had Sprint released this as a company statement/tweet from @Sprint, would the reactions have been any different than what we’re seeing on Marcelo’s Tweet? You have multiple executives going on the record in that article I linked to.

People can post whatever they want on Twitter.

I never said otherwise although your assertion is not entirely accurate, but that's an altogether different discussion.

Key word is "companies". If something needed to be said then I feel that it would have been best for Sprint to have said it via a press release instead of Marcelo. Honestly, I think the vehement backlash that he's receiving is answer enough. Sprint doesn't have the cache of an Apple, Exxon, Walmart or a Berkshire Hathaway so in my opinion it's probably not a good idea for it's CEO to invite unnecessary criticism by lauding the outcome of a rather unpopular political vote. I don't see the benefit of Marcelo's tweet in this instance.

I think, if anything, Sprint probably should've given a response similar to Amazon's from the article that you linked and left it at that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rawvega said:

I never said otherwise although your assertion is not entirely accurate, but that's an altogether different discussion.

Key word is "companies". If something needed to be said then I feel that it would have been best for Sprint to have said it via a press release instead of Marcelo. Honestly, I think the vehement backlash that he's receiving is answer enough. Sprint doesn't have the cache of an Apple, Exxon, Walmart or a Berkshire Hathaway so in my opinion it's probably not a good idea for it's CEO to invite unnecessary criticism by lauding the outcome of a rather unpopular political vote. I don't see the benefit of Marcelo's tweet in this instance.

I think, if anything, Sprint probably should've given a response similar to Amazon's from the article that you linked and left it at that.

I think they should explain to people what the lowering of the coporate tax rate means for their company and their future plans. Taxes aren't paid by companies anyway, all corporate taxes are paid by some combination of consumers, employees and shareholders. If we were being Really honest the corporate tax rate would be zero and if we wanted to tax wealth we would have a progressive consumption tax. 

• Like 3

I think they should explain to people what the lowering of the coporate tax rate means for their company and their future plans. Taxes aren't paid by companies anyway, all corporate taxes are paid by some combination of consumers, employees and shareholders. If we were being Really honest the corporate tax rate would be zero and if we wanted to tax wealth we would have a progressive consumption tax. 
All taxes in the end are paid by the consumer. The question is how is the burden shifted. Unfortunately, decreasing corporate tax rates is usually a shift to increased taxes to those who can least afford it on the long term as tax cuts often lead to increased deficits. This increase in deficit often means increased taxes on the middle class and cut services in areas that are critical to the common welfare of the people. Mind you that is the primary role of government. While the tax cuts stimulate the economy in the short-term, long-term they are a disaster. Furthermore, they serve to further complicate the tax system at a time when the CBO and IRS have said the best way to increase wealth and investment is to simplify and flatten the tax structure. The way forward should be to take a note from our friends to the north. No foreign corporations, you do business here, you have a HQ here and you pay taxes on income made here. Next flatten the tax rates, corporate, investment and personal income all taxed at the same rate. This gets rid of tax shelters. GST and SST. And if you really wanted to kick the economy into high gear end the religious exemption. Massive amounts of tax dollars are hidden there. Some studies on taxing churches showed we could bring tax rates as low as 7 percent if we taxed churches.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rawvega said:

True. Twitter has policies and terms of use for what you can post.

Had this been a general news release by Sprint’s Comms Team or on the “Sprint/Sprint News” Twitter Handle, it still would have gotten comments and it still would have been linked back to Marcelo. As CEO, he’s ultimately accountable for statements made by the company as a matter of policy.

Marcelo genuinely believes that this will be good for Sprint as a company and for us as customers. If Sprint can devote additional CapEx because of this tax bill and if Sprint’s network and customer service improves as a result and if Sprint’s jobs are brought back from overseas and if employee wages go up and if many of its customers have more money in their pockets due to the tax cut (which they could potentially spend on additonal Sprint Devices or Services if they choose to), I’m trying to understand how that’s a bad thing for us as Sprint customers, for Sprint as a company and for its employees.

Marcelo was a Democratic Party donor and hosted a fundraising dinner for Hillary at his home in Florida:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article103428377.html

I think as CEO he was entitled to do that, and the same applies here. He speaks for Sprint’s values and principles. Other CEO’s, like Tim Cook, do the same thing and I similarly support it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RedSpark said:

With Tax Reform, AT&T Plans to Increase U.S. Capital Spending $1 Billion and Provide $1,000 Special Bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. Employees

http://about.att.com/story/att_tax_reform.html

Would love to see Sprint announce something similar.

But I thought people were gonna die from the Tax Bill, reeeeeeeeeeee! :rofl:

In all seriousness its about damn time the corporate tax rate gets lowered, we are competitive again!  Hope to see Sprint use the extra money it saves from lower corporate taxes and puts it towards network investments. 

• Like 5

Marcelo genuinely believes that this will be good for Sprint as a company and for us as customers. If Sprint can devote additional CapEx because of this tax bill and if Sprint’s network and customer service improves as a result and if Sprint’s jobs are brought back from overseas and if employee wages go up and if many of its customers have more money in their pockets due to the tax cut (which they could potentially spend on additonal Sprint Devices or Services if they choose to), I’m trying to understand how that’s a bad thing for us as Sprint customers, for Sprint as a company and for its employees.

There's a lot of "ifs" in there, plus you're strawmanning here. I never claimed that *if* any or all of those things come to pass that it would be a bad thing for anyone. I'll reiterate my point: I don't think that it's a good idea for Marcelo to be on Twitter lauding the outcome of a politically divisive vote. If he's going to do all of the wonderful things that are being claimed then great. Do it first and then tout your accomplishments afterwards.

I think as CEO he was entitled to do that, and the same applies here. He speaks for Sprint’s values and principles. Other CEO’s, like Tim Cook, do the same thing and I similarly support it.

Entitled to? Sure. Whether it's a good idea is debatable. I just think that if you're the CEO of a company whose customers and potential customers are all over the political spectrum then it would probably be best to appear politically neutral on a public space such as Twitter. I simply don't see the benefit in possibly alienating past, present or future customers. BTW I just checked Tim Cook's Twitter feed and I didn't notice anything about the tax bill on there...

What is wrong with him saying this is good for sprint and jt is hood for our customer's? It is a true statement. The taxes sprint pays are paid by employees, share holders and customers all of which got a reduction in taxes. That is a good message for a CEO to talk about. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

Sprint has not paid taxes in forever so there are probably not going to be affected by this bill for a little while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JossMan said:

But I thought people were gonna die from the Tax Bill, reeeeeeeeeeee! :rofl:

In all seriousness its about damn time the corporate tax rate gets lowered, we are competitive again!  Hope to see Sprint use the extra money it saves from lower corporate taxes and puts it towards network investments. 

Too many companies do not pay taxes. I would like something like a VAT based on revenues rather than profits. No loopholes, no exemptions.