Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

37 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Why do you think Apple and Qualcomm are going thru a patent battle now. 

Because Apple thinks that they're asking too much for their patents and that the patents are asking for a percentage of the phone price. The more expensive the phone even if that is due to more memory or bigger screen, the more money Qualcomm makes even though they don't have anything to do with the components that contribute to the additional cost. Qualcomm is mad because they lost out on the half of the LTE modems that Apple is sourcing from Intel and that Apple is not using their processors instead of building their own. As soon as  Intel modems catch up to Qualcomm and include CDMA for Sprint/Verizon, I predict Apple will no longer use Qualcomm. It would not surprise me if after CDMA goes completely away Apple does not start making their own LTE/5G modems or acquire a company.

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

As soon as  Intel modems catch up to Qualcomm and include CDMA for Sprint/Verizon, I predict Apple will no longer use Qualcomm. It would not surprise me if after CDMA goes completely away Apple does not start making their own LTE/5G modems or acquire a company.

Intel modems will never fully catch up to Qualcomm modems because of a few technologies/patents that are exclusive to Qualcomm. 

In my opinion, it’s a shame that Apple isn’t exclusively using Qualcomm modems. Qualcomm’s modems outperform their Intel counterparts by about 15% at any given signal level, draw roughly 30% less power, and include a several technologies (which the Intel modems do not) that improve performance by using the assymmetrical paired antennas in the iPhone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Sprint achieved 120-140MHz using just 5Mhz of 3.5GHz spectrum using LAA in conjunction with SpiderCloud. LAA is in Sprint's long term plans.

No, guys, did you not read the article?  The 5 MHz is licensed spectrum, band 25, probably the PCS G block carrier.  The unlicensed spectrum, which is of unspecified carrier bandwidth, is 5 GHz.

AJ

• Like 4

No, guys, did you not read the article?  The 5 MHz is licensed spectrum, band 25, probably the PCS G block carrier.  The unlicensed spectrum, which is of unspecified carrier bandwidth, is 5 GHz.
AJ
I see it now. I'm glad cause 5mhz only is to little even tho they have all there B41 holdings.f371ccb26fba0ef9b63e17359c8238b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Will this years phones support the LAA? i.e. Samsung S8
I Have heard it does. However from what I have heard it can only be aggregated with Band 2 right now. So unless Sprint starts doing Band 2 on PCS block A-F will be need a new phone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Let the vertical integration begin! /S

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Still have to get a wireline from cable or telco to put on a TV... unless you use your device as a hotspot.

I can see this as an end run around traditional cable/telco wireline if T-Mobile does fixed wireless with 5G. That’s something Sprint would do pretty well with its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

Any reason for SoftBank/Sprint to make a pitch for Dish?

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Still have to get a wireline from cable or telco to put on a TV... unless you use your device as a hotspot.

I can see this as an end run around traditional cable/telco wireline if T-Mobile does fixed wireless with 5G. That’s something Sprint would do pretty well with its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

Any reason for SoftBank/Sprint to make a pitch for Dish?

Scale, spectrum and content relationships. That would be the case for a merger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

Not to mention midband and 600Mhz spectrum. Then Sprint can take advantage of the combined assets to offer ala cart TV. Or they can partner with cable cos and together offer video to cord cutters.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

Not to mention midband and 600Mhz spectrum. Then Sprint can take advantage of the combined assets to offer ala cart TV. Or they can partner with cable cos and together offer video to cord cutters.

Charlie Ergen, Charlie Ergen, and Charlie Ergen:  That would be the case against a merger.  He nearly wrecked the Softbank acquisition of Sprint [not that the acquisition has been a total success], and has done or said nothing since that would lead anyone to believe that he would be any more cooperative today.  He and Masa would probably get along badly, as both of them would insist on running the whole show.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RedSpark said:

More Un-neutral Un-novation from the Un-carrier.

AJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

...to offer ala cart TV.

TV-CART.jpg

AJ

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

More Un-neutral Un-novation from the Un-carrier.

AJ

Apparently the “Un-carrier Architect” has left T-Mobile for “undisclosed” reasons:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/internal-email-t-mobile-commercial-chief-uncarrier-architect-leaves-undisclosed-reasons/

Pushed out the door?

19 hours ago, tommym65 said:

Charlie Ergen, Charlie Ergen, and Charlie Ergen:  That would be the case against a merger.  He nearly wrecked the Softbank acquisition of Sprint [not that the acquisition has been a total success], and has done or said nothing since that would lead anyone to believe that he would be any more cooperative today.  He and Masa would probably get along badly, as both of them would insist on running the whole show.

Yeah Charlie Ergen might have screwed Sprint in the past with driving up the price for Clearwire and then Sprint but sometimes you have to sit down and break bread with your former enemies. If the two of them want to offer ala carte wireless TV it would behoove both to cooperate. Sprint has the network assets and 2.5 spectrum and Dish has midband and low band spectrum and content. It will take a lot of spectrum to offer ala carte content starting and stopping at any time. Also require caching video servers "close" to the ultimate consumers. But it will also take either acquiring or partnering with a fiber rich company such as Zayo or Level 3 or even some cable cos. Didn't Level 3 just got acquired by Century Link?

Edited by bigsnake49

So I switched to tmo b/c they offered me a check of a deal earlier this year (way less than I was paying with Sprint). Lately their service has just sucked near my house here in ABQ. So i’m Looking at my options. The free year offer is pretty appealing, but I was looking at what my bill would be after that time. So am I reading this correctly that I’d be looking at $130 plus taxes /month for three lines and then $5 off per line for the employee discount bringing the grand total to $115 plus taxes and fees for unlimited?

Sucks I gave up on open world when I switched, wish they came out with some extra bennies for Latin America travel. 

5 hours ago, TheCUJuan said:

So I switched to tmo b/c they offered me a check of a deal earlier this year (way less than I was paying with Sprint). Lately their service has just sucked near my house here in ABQ. So i’m Looking at my options. The free year offer is pretty appealing, but I was looking at what my bill would be after that time. So am I reading this correctly that I’d be looking at $130 plus taxes /month for three lines and then $5 off per line for the employee discount bringing the grand total to $115 plus taxes and fees for unlimited?

Sucks I gave up on open world when I switched, wish they came out with some extra bennies for Latin America travel. 

I believe that the Discount has been changed so that it’s only $5/Month off for the first line.

See the International Plan Page for Global Roaming: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/international.html?ECID=vanity:international

High Speed Data Passes are available.

Also see this about the Premium International Experience: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-premium-international-experience.html?INTNAV=LP:IntlRoaming:PIE:LearnMore

5 hours ago, TheCUJuan said:

That Open World add on was too good to last forever. 1 GB for most of the countries in the Western hemisphere was ridiculously generous.

39 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

That Open World add on was too good to last forever. 1 GB for most of the countries in the Western hemisphere was ridiculously generous.

I know... and we have such a sweetheart deal now with TMO it may be hard for me to convince the others on my account to switch... we pay $103 all taxes and fees included for four lines unlimited everything. Then, on top of that we get kickbacks of about $8 (since we have hookup , it’s less than the $10) per line that does not use 2 gb. We usually have at least one or two lines that get kickback...

I guess I switched to a great plan, if it worked. But here in ABQ Sprint’s call quality is hands down better than Tmo.

• Like 1