Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

24 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

They are so slow when it comes to adding these types of features to their phones. I wouldn't count on 2018 being the year.

With the whole fight vs QUALCOMM and Intel becoming the chip marker of choice for Apple I agree with you in that assessment. Apple meme is ' We won't sacrifice battery performance for new network connectivity techs.

They are so slow when it comes to adding these types of features to their phones. I wouldn't count on 2018 being the year.
Who is slow? Sprint or the manufacturers? I would argue Sprint is pretty proactive about getting new features into phones. When the manufacturers will let them.

Sent from my LG G6

• Like 2

Who is slow? Sprint or the manufacturers? I would argue Sprint is pretty proactive about getting new features into phones. When the manufacturers will let them.

Sent from my LG G6

I believe he is talking about iPhones which are usually behind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I believe he is talking about iPhones which are usually behind.

Yes that is correct Apple is pretty slow adding features on the network side. I have the iPhone X and it lacks 4 x 4 mimo And 256 QAM so they are pretty slow.

3 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Yes that is correct Apple is pretty slow adding features on the network side. I have the iPhone X and it lacks 4 x 4 mimo And 256 QAM so they are pretty slow.

Yeah that’s why I think the 2018 version will have it. If memory serves me right, they were one year late with a LTE device and one year late with b41 support.

I hope they add Hpue to their device. For some reason I don’t they will since the other carriers aren’t using it

47 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

Yeah that’s why I think the 2018 version will have it. If memory serves me right, they were one year late with a LTE device and one year late with b41 support.

I hope they add Hpue to their device. For some reason I don’t they will since the other carriers aren’t using it

i mean 256 QAM is slowly being deployed so it may take a year or two for apple to add it on the hardware side to their phones.

41 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

I wouldn't call them slow.... Rather cautious.

Stability is key for Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple’s product design cycle is pretty long.

The design of the iPhone X was locked down in November 2016... http://mashable.com/2017/10/31/how-apple-built-the-iphone-x/#zDYeeFFzCSq3

“As far as last-minute design changes? Actually, we didn’t have time for it,” said Riccio, who seemed energized by the memory of that intense development period. “Quite frankly, this program was on such a fast track to be offered [and] enabled this year. We had to lock [the design] very, very early. We actually locked the design, to let you know, in November,” said Riccio before he was cut off by Apple PR. Riccio appeared to realize he’d said maybe too much, and then reaffirmed with a smile, “We had to lock it early.”

and it was released in November 2017. So, given the amount of new features in the iPhone X, perhaps HPUE was seen as a stretch.

(This also means that next years’s Devices are likely already locked down.)

Apple needs sufficient component availability to be able to deliver millions of devices at the margins it wants to. So, it purposefully lags behind others while it waits for enough components it wants to be available at the pricing it wants.

Don't forget that Apple and Qualcomm are back and forth suing each other, and and the features that you want initiated in the iPhone are all Qualcomm ip, and until that mess gets settled, you aren't going to see it in the iPhone going all the way back to the iPhone 7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg4icg said:

Don't forget that Apple and Qualcomm are back and forth suing each other, and and the features that you want initiated in the iPhone are all Qualcomm ip, and until that mess gets settled, you aren't going to see it in the iPhone going all the way back to the iPhone 7.

The problem is that until Intel also implements the same features in their chipsets, Apple will not include them in their feature list even if Qualcomm did already. Plus Apple does not want to be the leading edge guinea pig.

Sprint achieved 120-140MHz using just 5Mhz of 3.5GHz spectrum using LAA in conjunction with SpiderCloud. LAA is in Sprint's long term plans. 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-achieves-120-140-mbps-laa-deployment-spidercloud-says-laa-long-term-roadmap

Sprint achieved 120-140MHz using just 5Mhz of 3.5GHz spectrum using LAA in conjunction with SpiderCloud. LAA is in Sprint's long term plans. 
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-achieves-120-140-mbps-laa-deployment-spidercloud-says-laa-long-term-roadmap
Does LAA require new equipment?

49 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

It depends. LAA is only going to be found in small cells probably implemented along with massive MIMO for high traffic areas. It will be a supplement to band 41. That's why Sprint is not chomping at the bit to implement it. Cable cos will probably implement it as strand mounted small cells and would have the upper hand since they don't need permits for those.

Edited by bigsnake49

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

thats pretty impressive :) . with just 5 megahertz of the 3.5 GHZ band very impressive indeed.

4 hours ago, kg4icg said:

so does that mean that even if the modem had said features it would be disabled software wise?

• Like 1

thats pretty impressive [emoji4] . with just 5 megahertz of the 3.5 GHZ band very impressive indeed.
I wonder why only 5 and not 20?

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

so does that mean that even if the modem had said features it would be disabled software wise?

Why do you think Apple and Qualcomm are going thru a patent battle now.