Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 minute ago, jreuschl said:

Only 50% of towers have B41?  Wow I thought it would be higher than that by now.

Marcelo spoke on this a few weeks back. When he was interviewed by Wells Fargo or whoever it was, He stated that about half the network has B41 deployed. This interview happened soon after the failed merger attempt due to who was going to control both companies. 

• Like 2

I love the plan to get all bands on all towers... this is something with low band that T-Mobile has not done. It will give Sprint an advantage if they choose to do this in addition to the high band add. 

• Like 2

I love the plan to get all bands on all towers... this is something with low band that T-Mobile has not done. It will give Sprint an advantage if they choose to do this in addition to the high band add. 

Most definitely! The quality of the network will be amazing. Coming from someone in a market that has all bands on almost all of their towers, it’s a very good experience and makes Sprint a actual option. Really the only time I drop to 3g is at my desk at work but even then I’m still able to stream Spotify on extreme with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, rocketr said:

This was Günther’s comment on Band 41 deployment about 11 months ago:

Did Günther actually mean POP’s and not Sites based on Tarek’s comments today and Marcelo’s recently?

23 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Did Günther actually mean POP’s and not Sites based on Tarek’s comments today and Marcelo’s recently?

I would suspect it was POPs and not sites.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Seems like POP’s stayed about the same level while the percentage of sites with Band 41 increased since then?

1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

Seems like POP’s stayed about the same level while the percentage of sites with Band 41 increased since then?

Possibly. Increasing density, but not really expanding the footprint. Recently we've seen more evidence of the B41 footprint expanding. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Possibly. Increasing density, but not really expanding the footprint. Recently we've seen more evidence of the B41 footprint expanding. 

From Tarek’s comments earlier today, he talked about triband on every tower and improving “fringe” coverage more than doing rural expansion.

I’m glad to see this in motion now. Hopefully Sprint’s upcoming CapEx Boost moves things along quickly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

From Tarek’s comments earlier today, he talked about triband on every tower and improving “fringe” coverage more than doing rural expansion.

I’m glad to see this in motion now. Hopefully Sprint’s upcoming CapEx Boost moves things along quickly.

I'm talking about the B41 footprint, not the Sprint footprint. We have seen B41 going up on sites in areas that did not have B41 before, expanding the B41 footprint. 

• Like 3

Looks like Sprint is a Microsoft/Qualcomm partner for those awesome looking always connected laptops coming..

22 hours on a single charge(Qualcomm Soc) connected to Sprint B41 sounds awesome!

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2017/12/05/qualcomm-launches-technology-innovation-advancements-always-connected-pc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Only 50% of towers have B41?  Wow I thought it would be higher than that by now.

Remember, there are tens of thousands of GMO's that just got LTE.  When you consider that, it's not surprising at all.  The percent of full build sites with B41 or a nearby Clearwire MM B41 site is much, much higher than 50%.  But when fully diluted with all sites now, 50% sounds right.  But it sounds like Sprint wants to close that gap relatively quickly now.

Robert

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

4 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

He didn't say 70% of all sites.  He said 70% OF LTE SITES.  Given this was before the massive push for the GMO's to get LTE in 2017, it was probably true that 70% of LTE full build sites active at that time had B41 live when he posted this.  Especially if you consider an adjacent Clearwire MM B41 site adjacent in former CLWR markets.  Seems like we had a post here at S4GRU calling him out as incorrect or lying back then.  I seem to recall explaining the significant difference in ALL SITES VS. LTE SITES.  And the number of LTE Sites is only accurate in the snapshot of time that very moment.

Robert

• Like 6

We've come full circle. It wasn't too long ago that we had multiple companies invested in WiMax technology because they thought we'd be using computers over cellular data. Little did they know it would be using a Qualcomm SoC and not an Intel one.

• Like 4

I'd like to repost this map as it looks like this is the expansion they are making on the fringe in theory. I'm wondering if this is just the 2018 expansion. 9a486744390a53d653b22024ebf3ba87.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Transcript of CFO talk yesterday: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4129858-sprint-s-45th-annual-ubs-global-media-communications-brokers-conference-transcript

He identified the main priority as execution.  Sprint has many plans, but often the money is not there to implement as priorities shift.  I don't get too excited until I actually see the beginnings of a project in the field.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Transcript of CFO talk yesterday: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4129858-sprint-s-45th-annual-ubs-global-media-communications-brokers-conference-transcript

He identified the main priority as execution.  Sprint has many plans, but often the money is not there to implement as priorities shift.  I don't get too excited until I actually see the beginnings of a project in the field.

I would love to see Sprint make the same deal with RCN that it made with Altice.

Sprint’s Washington DC Network could really benefit from it. Hope it’s being discussed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I would love to see Sprint make the same deal with RCN that it made with Altice.

Sprint’s Washington DC Network could really benefit from it. Hope it’s being discussed.

Could be a possibility. Sprint will probably create a “cable hub” where smaller cable companies can offer cellular services in exchange of Sprint using their backhaul  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rocketr said:

I'd like to repost this map as it looks like this is the expansion they are making on the fringe in theory. I'm wondering if this is just the 2018 expansion.

Neighborhoods mentioned by the CFO to me means expansion for suburban sprawl.  The last time Sprints network overall was expanded with new sites was back when Clearwire was putting in Wimax sites - and even that was not allowed to finish (thus leaving coverage gaps).  Even areas with no population growth have continued to expand.  Growth in the south and west and places like Washington DC, Minneapolis, Columbus have outpaced the Sprint network.  B26 LTE 800 helped but more needs to be done.  When people arrive in their new neighborhood they should see good Sprint signal, else they might change carriers.  Waiting several years means lost customers.  Getting people to return is hard work and often not possible.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rocketr said:

I'd like to repost this map as it looks like this is the expansion they are making on the fringe in theory. I'm wondering if this is just the 2018 expansion. 9a486744390a53d653b22024ebf3ba87.jpg

I know for a fact there is expansion happening that isn’t shown on that map so I’m unsure as to how accurate it is. 

• Like 4

I know for a fact there is expansion happening that isn’t shown on that map so I’m unsure as to how accurate it is. 
For sure... this map.was pre-merger fallout so plans have probably gotten bigger or one can hope.

• Like 1