Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Yeah, you can't say Sprint can get PCS spectrum from AWS.  That's like saying you can buy more Totino's Pizzas from Domino's.  PCS spectrum is completely different than AWS.  Sprint uses PCS and their phones support PCS.  Sprint does not use AWS, and only some of their phones support AWS-1.  And fewer of them support AWS-3.
If Sprint wanted to make a move on AWS, it would be a very long term play.  It would have very little short term benefit.  And there is not much AWS spectrum to move on either.
That's not what I meant. I meant they should buy AWS. Yes I know that would require new equipment

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just now, Tengen31 said:

That's not what I meant. I meant they should buy AWS. Yes I know that would require new equipment

AWS would be a waste of money.  Every dollar they spend on spectrum and hardware they could be spending on full B41 deployment, expansion and densifying their network.  And if you could see where they could get AWS, how wide it would be and how much it would cost, you would see it wouldn't even be worth the effort.

• Like 8

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article185873858.html#ampshare=http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article185873858.html

Not a great "press" article on Sprint.  I know it is more of the fault of the dumb consumer, but let's be honest..  leasing wouldn't be offered if it was more pro-consumer vs. carrier.

IMO I think the lease for 18 months but you don't really own it yet until you pay 6 more is dumb.  Should be just 24 months period.  I'm sure it works out great for Sprint though to collect 18 months of payments and then get a device back or more money.

6 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article185873858.html#ampshare=http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article185873858.html

Not a great "press" article on Sprint.  I know it is more of the fault of the dumb consumer, but let's be honest..  leasing wouldn't be offered if it was more pro-carrier vs. consumer.

IMO I think the lease for 18 months but you don't really own it yet until you pay 6 more is dumb.  Should be just 24 months period.  I'm sure it works out great for Sprint though to collect 18 months of payments and then get a device back or more money.

You do realize that you can upgrade at 12 months. Both consumers and Sprint benefit from this, and the only reason Sprint will be able to offer crazy deals on certain devices (Like they're doing with the essential phone, $145 after pay off)

I personally think lease to own is a huge win win for consumers and Sprint despite that really clickbate article.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

Not a great "press" article on Sprint.  I know it is more of the fault of the dumb consumer, but let's be honest..  leasing wouldn't be offered if it was more pro-consumer vs. carrier.

“They basically took $140 away from me because I’m naive.”

That’s all you need to know about this person/situation. Everybody else’s responsibility but his.

In other news:

Overdue library item fines can cost you more than the book does.

Renting a car at the daily rate for a week can be more expensive than the weekly rate.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

“They basically took $140 away from me because I’m naive.”

That’s all you need to know about this person/situation. Everybody else’s responsibility but his.

Exactly that. The victim culture needs to die and die hard. You went into the store signed up for the lease, you need to educate yourself about what it was you were signing up for. If they lied to you that is fraud, if you simply didnt educate yourself that is on you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Exactly that. The victim culture needs to die and die hard. You went into the store signed up for the lease, you need to educate yourself about what it was you were signing up for. If they lied to you that is fraud, if you simply didnt educate yourself that is on you. 

Truth. This victim pedestaling journalism has to stop.

One more while I’m at it:

BREAKING: Parking tickets for a spot can cost you more than paying the metered pricing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Truth. This victim pedestaling journalism has to stop.

One more while I’m at it:

BREAKING: Parking tickets for a spot can cost you more than paying the metered pricing.

*GASP* Say it ain't so, by golly!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cletus said:

Seems like a logical progression. In addition to email, Greenlight Hubs and, more recently, telephone, Uber has been providing Uber driver support at various Sprint stores ("Sprint Spot").
https://www.uber.com/drive/miami/contact/

Sprint does send reminders that the lease is expiring too.  It's not like they are hiding the lease end from the customer. Everyone's a victim these days. If you admit that you're too naive or lazy, then you're admitting responsibility and copability...

:imo:

• Like 13

15 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Sprint does send reminders that the lease is expiring too.  It's not like they are hiding the lease end from the customer. Everyone's a victim these days. If you admit that you're too naive or lazy, then you're admitting responsibility and copability...

:imo:

Or is that culpability?  Or both?  ?

• Haha 1

And what they plan to do with it?
Densify the network and expand coverage. They know they need to expand to at least att coverage. Coverage is the main reason they have a hard time keeping customers. If you had coverage to roaming areas that gives people there another choice.

16 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Densify the network and expand coverage. They know they need to expand to at least att coverage. Coverage is the main reason they have a hard time keeping customers. If you had coverage to roaming areas that gives people there another choice.

Well if Sprint can actually do that It would make them a very attractive Carrier. But they have a long way to go.  I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know what they will do but if they actually follow through on both then I would actually be very happy for them.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:27 PM, WiWavelength said:
On 11/8/2017 at 2:40 PM, caspar347 said:

I'm guessing now that the merger is off they realize they're gonna have to match T-Mobile's huge-ish rural-ish buildout over the last year.

No. Why?  Build out places where most people will not go anytime soon, if ever?  And if most people think that they might, for example, go to Wyoming, they are gullible and/or stupid.  I would rather that Sprint not go "chasing stupid"-- even if that might move the needle in perception.  Instead, focus on being the best that Sprint can be in places where most people already are most of the time -- and that largely is within the established footprint  

AJ

I believe AJ made a good point a few weeks ago that would apply for the first half of 2018 with Capex spend.  Densify, most definitely.  There are macro towers scattered throughout Sprint's native footprint that need upgrades to better the current network. 

Build out, maybe a little but "chasing stupid" would not be the best course of action in the short term.  Maybe in the second half of CY 2018 or CY 2019 will allow Sprint to have a controlled expansion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Expanding out to the size of AT&T or getting really close to it would be a sweet spot. 

I would love to see them expand out into the native roaming areas to minimize the amount of roaming they currently have. Bases on the current map, there's alot of it.

with this 8k macro tower venture that SB is doing, I'm sure Sprint will benefit the most from this. How much of an effect will 8k towers have on the network? given if Sprint is indeed on all of them?

Expanding out to the size of AT&T or getting really close to it would be a sweet spot. 

I would love to see them expand out into the native roaming areas to minimize the amount of roaming they currently have. Bases on the current map, there's alot of it.

If they did that they could pass att on LTE as att doesn't have plans to add LTE to H+ areas.