Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

8 minutes ago, grapkoski said:

Not sure if it is sarcasm or not, but when you work at corporate HQ high level executives usually hold town hall meetings where employee groups can get an update and ask questions directly to them.

I think he meant to type "why is it called a town hall meeting" or "what is a town hall meeting." Have to read around the errors.

Yay for no more distraction. A loose confirmation that this merger mess has been a huge distraction from network planning and marketing strategy. And why wouldn’t it be?

Just getting all 3 bands deployed on 100% of the footprint would be impressive. Now to wonder- will Sprint pursue the fastest backhaul when adding sites or the the cheapest? Understandably a balancing act. I tend to think Son is looking for a partner who doesn’t have a national network footprint, meaning the deeper and wider the footprint goes, the more attractive Sprint becomes as a partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yay for no more distraction. A loose confirmation that this merger mess has been a huge distraction from network planning and marketing strategy. And why wouldn’t it be?  

Just getting all 3 bands deployed on 100% of the footprint would be impressive. Now to wonder- will Sprint pursue the fastest backhaul when adding sites or the the cheapest? Understandably a balancing act. I tend to think Son is looking for a partner who doesn’t have a national network footprint, meaning the deeper and wider the footprint goes, the more attractive Sprint becomes as a partner.

It would be very impressive if they do put all three bands in all their towers like Marcelo was saying they are going to do. That would be a pretty consistent network experience. I think the biggest fear from the other three carriers is if Sprint gets their network together and they really tap into their 2.5. If done right, Sprint can really do some damage here in the states.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, derrph said:

It would be very impressive if they do put all three bands in all their towers like Marcelo was saying they are going to do. That would be a pretty consistent network experience. I think the biggest fear from the other three carriers is if Sprint gets their network together and they really tap into their 2.5. If done right, Sprint can really do some damage here in the states.

This plus small cells and HPue would be great! We can expect 4xca next year right?

This plus small cells and HPue would be great! We can expect 4xca next year right?

I would assume 4xca will be next year as well. I think massive mimo was next year as well.

1 hour ago, derrph said:

I would assume 4xca will be next year as well. I think massive mimo was next year as well.

I believe so too. I’m reading old articles and according to this one Sprint will start Massive MIMO deployment beginning of next year. Now this article was dated back in September (during T-Mobile merger) however if we take Marcelo’s word on the network I would assume this is still on track. 

Its awesome that Sprint and Ericcson was able to achieve 300mbps from one 20mhz channel!

• Like 1

I’m really curious to know just how much of Sprints upcoming network investment will equate to actual expansion. Marcelo mentioned he would like to expand. But my takeover is Sprints adding towers insides it’s coverage area...though good but not good enough. They have the right spectrum assests to really dig deep in rural America. I just don’t fully understand why they aren’t fully utilizing the assets. I’m hoping Sprint finally expands in rural America. CCA for roaming LTE is still roaming. All 3 carriers have native LTE in rural areas.

I believe so too. I’m reading old articles and according to this one Sprint will start Massive MIMO deployment beginning of next year. Now this article was dated back in September (during T-Mobile merger) however if we take Marcelo’s word on the network I would assume this is still on track.  Its awesome that Sprint and Ericcson was able to achieve 300mbps from one 20mhz channel!

Right. Sprint is technically 5G ready between their 2.5 and Massive MIMO. So with 3CA alone with M MINO, you’re talking almost 1Gbps. But I’m basing that off of the getting 300mbps using just a single 20mhz.

I really want Sprint to follow through on these new network plans. This is truly a sink or swim time but I think Marcelo and team are serious since he was beyond honest about the network and convinced Son to give Sprint an actual chance. I think it’s a good time to be on Sprint IMO.

• Like 2

I’m really curious to know just how much of Sprints upcoming network investment will equate to actual expansion. Marcelo mentioned he would like to expand. But my takeover is Sprints adding towers insides it’s coverage area...though good but not good enough. They have the right spectrum assests to really dig deep in rural America. I just don’t fully understand why they aren’t fully utilizing the assets. I’m hoping Sprint finally expands in rural America. CCA for roaming LTE is still roaming. All 3 carriers have native LTE in rural areas.

Hey Brynn great topic ya started here: I hope I can interpert this correctly. But I think we have to look at it from an overall investment over a time period and see how much higher sprint will invest over a few fiscal years together.. their is only so much sprint can do wiithing 1 full fiscal year, but over 2 to 3 years we could see a big difference

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, derrph said:

Right. Sprint is technically 5G ready between their 2.5 and Massive MIMO. So with 3CA alone with M MINO, you’re talking almost 1Gbps. But I’m basing that off of the getting 300mbps using just a single 20mhz.

I really want Sprint to follow through on these new network plans. This is truly a sink or swim time but I think Marcelo and team are serious since he was beyond honest about the network and convinced Son to give Sprint an actual chance. I think it’s a good time to be on Sprint IMO.

Yup! I couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I think he meant to type "why is it called a town hall meeting" or "what is a town hall meeting." Have to read around the errors.

yes...thats what i meant...why is it called a town meeting....

300Mbps on one channel is not that big of an accomplishment. 2x2 Mimo at 64QAM is 112.5. 256QAM is about 33% increase but QAM is strange basically push as many bits until failure. So not exactly a 33% increase but a small increase. 

112.5 Mbps x 1.33 (gain from QAM increase) x 2 (going from 2x2 mimo to 4x4 mimo) = 300Mbps  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess I've been fortunate; in Central TX they *have* thrown B41 on rural-ish macros. Even ones that I'm sure are still backhauled over microwave.

Mobilite isn't the only one who has tried to pull public ROW shenanigans. AT&T is trying to strip Austin of the ability to regulate its own ROW so they can do heavier 5G trials here (they're already doing gigabit over mmWave to a couple test locations...and we're a "5G evolution" market so standard LTE is nice and speedy as well).

Re: rural coverage, Sprint either needs to throw some B26 up or do reciprocal roaming (a la Alltel a decade ago) with someone who will. AT&T roaming on LTE at 1x speeds is a horrible stopgap...coming from someone who goes to places where T-Mobile's LTE funs at a few Mbps. Speaking of T-Mobile, their 600 coverage may as well not exist for 99.9% of their subscribers due to lack of phone support. That'll be fixed by the middle of next year, but right now they have one standard flagship that supports 600.

Going back to Sprint-land, they need to:

1. Get 8T8R on a LOT more B41 macros to decrease signal fragility, which I think is worse all-else-equal now with Config 2.
  2. Get more partnerships with cable companies that allow for piggyback-ing small cells on existing ROWs/backhaul. Altice will be amazing for that in NYC. Here they *might* be able to pull it off with Grande, which happens to serve parts of town that need extra density anyway.
  3. Fix the Magic Box shipping backlog
  4. Help phone manufacturers get HPUE into their devices (/me mumbles about Essential not being able to find an appropriate amp for the tech, despite having Sprint as their primary carrier)
  5. Get 256/64QAM D/U running on at least B41 and B25. Granted, the usable area for those modulations will be small on B41, but plenty of areas on the B25 side could benefit, and that will reduce site loads appreciably as folks upgrade their phones. Guessing TMo is doing 256 on both AWS and PCS (and CAing them together) so should be doable on 25.
  6. Make sure every area is covered by either native or roaming, then watch roaming use/performance very carefully and build macro network relatively aggressively where people actually are. Even if that macro network is a string of four sites spaced for B26, sharing 100 Mbps of backhaul...that's enough to hold a call and a data session while not on someone else's network. They're already doing this in east-Central TX, FWIW.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, kg4icg said:

Can't do what T-Mobile did, 2 different types of networks. Plus Sprint did a total network rebuild, T-Mobile at first did add ons after getting money from AT&T and then start on partial rebuild.

I agree with you -- BUT... 

If that's true then explain why VZW is kicking people off for roaming to much on another network in rural areas? TMobile roams onto uscc on some areas and I wireless coming soon also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm trying to puzzle something out about the Extended LTE thing Sprint is doing with US Cellular these days.  Maybe someone here has a better idea.

My mom wants a smart phone for Christmas.  My parents, many of you may recall, live in US Cellular territory, which is the primary reason I am a Sprint customer, since service in that area is important.  Both are retired.  Now that Sprint has this Extended LTE thing going, I'm trying to figure out if I could put my mom on my Sprint unlimited family plan or if that would be a problem.  It's similar to the problem that I have going there; everything is theoretically fine if she's out and about in Farmville/Appomattox/Lynchburg/South Boston where Shentel or Sprint would have native service, and at home, the wifi works more often than not these days (it's improved in the past year).  The real issue will be those times when the home Internet is out, or if she is in the county (library, post office, traveling to and from aforementioned cities, etc.) where service would be coming from US Cellular. 

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not that would cause a problem?  I can't find a policy for Sprint indicating what limits, if any, there are on the Extended LTE.  Thanks.

- Trip

Trip I would believe it would be the amount of data transferred that would cause an issue. If they were watching youtube or Netflix on her device and using 5+GB per month it may be a problem. If she is like my parents both using under 200 MB it should not be a problem.   

13 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Not just Sprint. Basically all of the carriers had sites that were down including MetroPCS and Cricket.

It came back online after 8 a.m.

I wonder why the others you speak of were also offline. Surely there would be no connection amongst the 3?

Someone at The Motley Fool is trying to make a point by comparing T-Mobile theoretical peak speeds to Sprint empirical average speeds.

Here are just a few examples of Sprint's network improvements:

• Washington, D.C.: up 45% to 20 Mbps
  • Atlanta: up 86% to 32 Mbps
  • LA Metro: up 55% to 23 Mbps
  • Colorado: up 44% to 25 Mbps

Those are big percentage improvements, but they pale in comparison to T-Mobile's demonstration of 600-plus Mbps downloads.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-mobile-apos-latest-announcement-170700579.html

This just further goes to show that questionably qualified investment advisors should refrain from proffering obviously incompetent technical analysis.

AJ

• Like 11

10 hours ago, WiWavelength said:
Someone at The Motley Fool is trying to make a point by comparing T-Mobile theoretical peak speeds to Sprint empirical average speeds.

Here are just a few examples of Sprint's network improvements:

• Washington, D.C.: up 45% to 20 Mbps
  • Atlanta: up 86% to 32 Mbps
  • LA Metro: up 55% to 23 Mbps
  • Colorado: up 44% to 25 Mbps

Those are big percentage improvements, but they pale in comparison to T-Mobile's demonstration of 600-plus Mbps downloads.

And here I'm going question marks at an area where tmobile has 4x4 B2, 4x4 B4 and 2x2 B12 all aggregated and giving me 3-5 mbps dl, 4-5 mbps UL....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-mobile-apos-latest-announcement-170700579.html

This just further goes to show that questionably qualified investment advisors should refrain from proffering obviously incompetent technical analysis.

AJ

You beat me to it.  I saw that article and came here to say the same thing.  For the non-initiated, my analogy was going to be:

"Newest Ferraris have been shown to do up to 200MPH on a racetrack. But average speeds of the latest Honda cars in the real world are only 40MPH!  Honda is doomed!"

- Trip

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

On 11/12/2017 at 5:46 AM, Trip said:

I'm trying to puzzle something out about the Extended LTE thing Sprint is doing with US Cellular these days.  Maybe someone here has a better idea.

My mom wants a smart phone for Christmas.  My parents, many of you may recall, live in US Cellular territory, which is the primary reason I am a Sprint customer, since service in that area is important.  Both are retired.  Now that Sprint has this Extended LTE thing going, I'm trying to figure out if I could put my mom on my Sprint unlimited family plan or if that would be a problem.  It's similar to the problem that I have going there; everything is theoretically fine if she's out and about in Farmville/Appomattox/Lynchburg/South Boston where Shentel or Sprint would have native service, and at home, the wifi works more often than not these days (it's improved in the past year).  The real issue will be those times when the home Internet is out, or if she is in the county (library, post office, traveling to and from aforementioned cities, etc.) where service would be coming from US Cellular. 

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not that would cause a problem?  I can't find a policy for Sprint indicating what limits, if any, there are on the Extended LTE.  Thanks.

- Trip

I think the general rule is the majority of usage must be on native network. That being said, if there was an Airave at home and they used that most of the time, you'd probably be okay as long as they're not pushing multiple gigabytes over the USCC network.