Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

23 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I wonder how many current TMobile devices besides the obvious ones (Samsung GS and iPhones) support B25/26/41.

It seems that most modern Sprint devices have B4/12, so I wonder how well that will work.

Don't know why, but GSM phones on the whole seem to support more bands than our CDMA level phones.(I know... mostly the LTE side of the phones...)...         LTE is supported more widely but that why you have phones released for Sprint or for Verizon... etc...    I think that's why many bought unlocked apple phones... the unlocked versions had most of the bands available to them.   More and more phone manufacturers are doing the now...    

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

As soon as the merger is approved they will open up roaming on each other's networks.

But not prior.  Because once any ill fated merger attempt inevitably and rightly were to fall apart, putting the toothpaste back in the tube would be difficult.

AJ

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I wonder how many current TMobile devices besides the obvious ones (Samsung GS and iPhones) support B25/26/41.

It seems that most modern Sprint devices have B4/12, so I wonder how well that will work.

I know that the iPhone6 and 6s were universal phones in that there was not a GSM and a CDMA iphone. iPhone 7, 8 and X have different SKUs for AT&T and T-Mobile and for the CDMA carriers. 7, 8 and X North American SKUs all support the same LTE bands if I am not mistaken but the GSM carrier models do not support CDMA. The V20 has different SKUs for the 4 carriers.

Heh I come back from vacation and stop in the one bar I frequent here and there and what used to be 3G at best if you were lucky has B26 now, guess my complaints and many others made them fix their towers. Guessing they adjusted the Downtilt and or boosted the signal not quite sure. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

Heh I come back from vacation and stop in the one bar I frequent here and there and what used to be 3G at best if you were lucky has B26 now, guess my complaints and many others made them fix their towers. Guessing they adjusted the Downtilt and or boosted the signal not quite sure. :D

if you dont mind me asking where did you go on vacation? and i assume that the coverage is fixed there now?

18 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

if you dont mind me asking where did you go on vacation? and i assume that the coverage is fixed there now?

Went to Louisiana for a wedding, came back and went to a bar I frequent in Philly and LTE is usable there now.

• Like 1

Went to Louisiana for a wedding, came back and went to a bar I frequent in Philly and LTE is usable there now.

so theres a philadelphia in louisiana? hmm they deployed band 26 ...good i m glad to see the expansion happening...

37 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

so theres a philadelphia in louisiana? hmm they deployed band 26 ...good i m glad to see the expansion happening...

No, perhaps I wasn't clear. I went to Louisiana and came back home to Philadelphia, PA and went to one of my normal bars that barely had service maybe a bar or two of 1x800, and since I came back it's now B26 inside. :P

Louisiana does have B26 however, I was connected to it most of my time down there being out in the middle of nowhere. Only saw B41 at Baton Rouge airport unfortunately, never outside anywhere just B25/B26. I was impressed though, I was matching my brothers service on AT&T if not surpassing it in most areas, speed aside as we all know B26 is molasses but it worked well. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

so theres a philadelphia in louisiana?

No.  But there is an Arkadelphia, Arkansas.  Close enough on both counts.

AJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No, perhaps I wasn't clear. I went to Louisiana and came back home to Philadelphia, PA and went to one of my normal bars that barely had service maybe a bar or two of 1x800, and since I came back it's now B26 inside. :P

Louisiana does have B26 however, I was connected to it most of my time down there being out in the middle of nowhere. Only saw B41 at Baton Rouge airport unfortunately, never outside anywhere just B25/B26. I was impressed though, I was matching my brothers service on AT&T if not surpassing it in most areas, speed aside as we all know B26 is molasses but it worked well. :)

Yes definitely I can definitely attest  to sprints improvements in the Philadelphia area. 

51 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

Never mind:

https://activate.boostmobile.com/bring-your-phone

I just saw a boost mobile kit at target. Bring your own phone for nation wide LTE service? 

How since Sprint doesn’t use LTE for voice? Or does it roam on att for voice only.  

They still require it to be a CDMA phone. 

• Thanks 1

Cool to hear a Sprint exec specifically mention 5 channel carrier aggregation in Sprint's latest press release (second to last paragraph, if you're having trouble finding it).  Down the line pretty far, I'm sure, but nice to see Sprint openly stocking the pipeline.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/nationwide-data-speeds-up-33-year-on-year.htm

• Like 7

15 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Cool to hear a Sprint exec specifically mention 5 channel carrier aggregation in Sprint's latest press release (second to last paragraph, if you're having trouble finding it).  Down the line pretty far, I'm sure, but nice to see Sprint openly stocking the pipeline.

Great progress! Keep it going!

I made a trip through US Cellular territory in rural Nebraska a few weeks ago. Took three phones on the trip, all in our ED1500 plan. We have almost no roaming data on our account to show for it. If this holds up and is announced in some formal fashion, I might talk myself out of my legacy plan (that affords me 300 MB in roaming vs the standard 100 MB with the newer plans).

Anyone else with updated anecdotes?

6 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

I made a trip through US Cellular territory in rural Nebraska a few weeks ago. Took three phones on the trip, all in our ED1500 plan. We have almost no roaming data on our account to show for it. If this holds up and is announced in some formal fashion, I might talk myself out of my legacy plan (that affords me 300 MB in roaming vs the standard 100 MB with the newer plans).

Anyone else with updated anecdotes?

We’ve had a ton of reports of USCC usage not counting towards people’s roaming data although there has been no official announcement from Sprint.

Out of curiosity, how much data did you use? How much is reflected in your usage report from Sprint?

5 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

We’ve had a ton of reports of USCC usage not counting towards people’s roaming data although there has been no official announcement from Sprint.

Out of curiosity, how much data did you use? How much is reflected in your usage report from Sprint?

I didn't meter my data that day. Wasn't planning to test it. But for spending all day in the area with my wife and my 13 year old son (2 iPhones and a GS7) we only have a few hundred kBytes of roaming data to show for it on the bill for the whole month. I usually rack up a few MBytes just piddle farting around town.

Is there a tool Sprint has to break down usage on a daily basis?

2 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

I didn't meter my data that day. Wasn't planning to test it. But for spending all day in the area with my wife and my 13 year old son (2 iPhones and a GS7) we only have a few hundred kBytes of roaming data to show for it on the bill for the whole month. I usually rack up a few MBytes just piddle farting around town.

Is there a tool Sprint has to break down usage on a daily basis?

Sprint does not have a tool to break down usage day by day except for calls. That being said, from what you’re saying I would guess that USCC roaming was not counted towards your usage. Apps refreshing in the background tend to take up a few megs for every 10 minutes or so. I’d guess the roaming that is appearing in your usage was accidental quick roaming on VZW 1x/EVDO (or possibly but unlikely AT&T LTE). 

19 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Sprint does not have a tool to break down usage day by day except for calls. That being said, from what you’re saying I would guess that USCC roaming was not counted towards your usage. Apps refreshing in the background tend to take up a few megs for every 10 minutes or so. I’d guess the roaming that is appearing in your usage was accidental quick roaming on VZW 1x/EVDO (or possibly but unlikely AT&T LTE). 

I just spent several minutes with customer service in a chat window. I asked for data usage for a specific day. They kept telling me, "Yes I can help you with that." And then they kept helping me by directing me to find for myself the monthly data totals in my paper bill and on the web. Good Lord. If the T-Mobile merger would possibly give us better customer service, I'd vote for it.

• Like 1

I can't speak for chat reps but Corp stores can see data usage in what id call clumps (lol). It shows us something like this along with calls and text info:

10-12-17. 16:45:00. 4500kb

10-12-17. 16:47:00. 150kb

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 12:11 AM, JonnygATL said:

It's interesting to see the disparity in performance/improvement across the different markets.

Atlanta – Up 86% to 32 Mbps

LA Metro – Up 55% to 23 Mbps

Chicago – Up 61% to 32 Mbps

Minnesota – Up 64% to 29 Mbps

Colorado – Up 44% to 25 Mbps

San Diego – Up 48% to 20 Mbps

Houston – Up 43% to 22 Mbps

Seattle – Up 40% to 35 Mbps

Indianapolis – Up 61% to 35 Mbps

Washington DC – Up 45% to 20 Mbps

The improvement percentage for Atlanta is substantial.

How is DC still among the slowest markets? I thought a third carrier of Band 41 was deployed here?

21 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

It's interesting to see the disparity in performance/improvement across the different markets.

Atlanta – Up 86% to 32 Mbps

LA Metro – Up 55% to 23 Mbps

Chicago – Up 61% to 32 Mbps

Minnesota – Up 64% to 29 Mbps

Colorado – Up 44% to 25 Mbps

San Diego – Up 48% to 20 Mbps

Houston – Up 43% to 22 Mbps

Seattle – Up 40% to 35 Mbps

Indianapolis – Up 61% to 35 Mbps

Washington DC – Up 45% to 20 Mbps

The improvement percentage for Atlanta is substantial.

How is DC still among the slowest markets? I thought a third carrier of Band 41 was deployed here?

Well when you consider population density of each and the size of the area.

3 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Well when you consider population density of each and the size of the area.

Check this out from March 2017: https://dc.curbed.com/2017/3/21/15006154/population-density-dc-washington

According to the infographic:

672,228 people live within Washington's 61 Square Miles. That gives it a population density of 11,020 persons per Square Mile.

The graphic compares its density to other cities, some of which are on the Press Release:

Chicago

Houston

Los Angeles

I wonder if "Washington, DC" according to Sprint also includes surrounding areas in MD/VA.