Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

See page 24 of the Investor Update.

"Capital Expenditures - Network and Other": $1.121 Billion

I wish there were a way to find out how much money Sprint spent in a particular area of towns/cities, more specific even than just by market. The reason I mention this, is because between all the marketing regarding the vast speed improvements in the area and the lack of actual major reports of progress from third party reviewers, it would be reassuring of Sprint to give detail of spending in certain areas.

I think T-Mobile may have done this in the past perhaps they still are, I don't know. It isn't that I don't believe Sprint, just that these local capex financial figures would be nice to know. It also would be great to have a step by step development plan the way it use to be in some ways.

Sprint's competition would love to have this info. That's why Sprint will not make it public.

Aggregate CapEx after the fact and a forecast is all we'll get from Sprint.

• Like 3

Now to think of it, I may be mistaken about the T-Mobile mention regarding the monetary listings in areas, for listing the number of tower upgrades, not specific monetary figures. Perhaps Sprint could show where recent developments are without the cost being shown.

Now to think of it, I may be mistaken about the T-Mobile mention regarding the monetary listings in areas, for listing the number of tower upgrades, not specific monetary figures. Perhaps Sprint could show where recent developments are without the cost being shown.

Sprint did.  But those site upgrade maps were taken down several years ago.

AJ

• Like 2

Sprint did. But those site upgrade maps were taken down several years ago.

AJ

I may be thinking either AT&T or T-Mobile with the tower upgrade listing information, as I know I saw this about a year ago, though its been a while from now that I last looked at a coverage map.

Cell phone coverage itself has become quite good to where checking a coverage map doesn't seem as important anymore, other than particular bits of information that is more band-specific. Such as for example, band41 deployment and densification. This would be really nice to know as Sprint has more capex spending available for it.

The more Sprint deploys and densifies band41, the better Sprint will be, and not only Sprint itself, but how much better Sprint can be in contrast with the other carriers. The service would be unbeatable, despite the costly process of making it so with massive amounts of in-area band41 coverage.

Although as a disclaimer, I'm not advocating for wider coverage in areas to expand service, but rather to improve upon currently served areas where Sprint customers need.

Cell phone coverage itself has become quite good to where checking a coverage map doesn't seem as important anymore, other than particular bits of information that is more band-specific. Such as for example, band41 deployment and densification. This would be really nice to know as Sprint has more capex spending available for it.

That level of detail is too much information for average consumers -- too technical.  And too much information for competitors -- too revealing.  So, no, public facing site upgrade maps are not coming back, not while Sprint struggles against the competition.

AJ

• Like 2

I may be thinking either AT&T or T-Mobile with the tower upgrade listing information, as I know I saw this about a year ago, though its been a while from now that I last looked at a coverage map.

Sprint had a map displaying recent tower upgrades such as voice, capacity, and data speed upgrades during NV as AJ stated, it was found at network.sprint.com back a couple years ago.  AT&T use to have a map sort of like Sprint's back during AT&T HSPA+ upgrades but was not as detailed as it only show by market and did not give exact cell site locations.   T-Mobile as far as I can recall did not provide any type of map.

• Like 2

Sprint had a map displaying recent tower upgrades such as voice, capacity, and data speed upgrades during NV as AJ stated, it was found at network.sprint.com back a couple years ago. AT&T use to have a map sort of like Sprint's back during AT&T HSPA+ upgrades but was not as detailed as it only show by market and did not give exact cell site locations. T-Mobile as far as I can recall did not provide any type of map.

Thank you for the information. I haven't looked in a while, so perhaps I got lost track of time. Also, while I like the idea, I can understand how it might be a problem considering the competition. I do wonder if there will be some sort of change to these coverage maps at some point soon, considering the latest Open Signal reports.

All the talks about Sprint wants to merger with Charter based on Charter's fiber footprints.  If that is truly the case, would CenturyLink and Level 3 offer similar assets as Charter but Masa can buy them for a lot less than what he would have to pay for Charter?

All the talks about Sprint wants to merger with Charter based on Charter's fiber footprints. If that is truly the case, would CenturyLink and Level 3 offer similar assets as Charter but Masa can buy them for a lot less than what he would have to pay for Charter?

Charter has more than just fiber. Think bundled services, great tool for retention. Think convergence...wire and wireless together, providing seamless multiple wireless services from one source.

Edited by Hmight

All the talks about Sprint wants to merger with Charter based on Charter's fiber footprints.  If that is truly the case, would CenturyLink and Level 3 offer similar assets as Charter but Masa can buy them for a lot less than what he would have to pay for Charter?

I'd think so. Level 3 would probably make the most sense (no consumer-facing business for Sprint to worry about; all that fiber could probably be integrated into Sprint's enterprise solutions with relative ease) but yeah either of those would be cheaper than Charter.

I feel like Charter would only make sense if Sprint wanted to offer bundles, but that just seems like it would be too much headache.

• Like 1

Why a headache?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

All of the sales reps would have to learn how to handle all parts of the bundle (home cable, etc) and Sprint has no in-house experience with consumer-facing landline ISP services. It would be doable and the industry might be heading in that direction, but it would be new territory for Sprint corporate.

• Like 1

I'd think so. Level 3 would probably make the most sense (no consumer-facing business for Sprint to worry about; all that fiber could probably be integrated into Sprint's enterprise solutions with relative ease) but yeah either of those would be cheaper than Charter.

I feel like Charter would only make sense if Sprint wanted to offer bundles, but that just seems like it would be too much headache.

I know Sprint doesn't have the money to do it themselves, besides that they are better off focusing on the wireless network build, but I'd really be interested in a company buying Sprint which has advanced Fiber connections throughout the U.S.

I'm having a headache dealing with Comcast trying to fix my gigabit internet plan speeds, where I'm getting around 100mbps to 150mbps when I ought to be getting around 1gbps over DOCSIS 3.1

If Sprint were to be bought by one of these companies to get cheaper Fiber and into the consumer market in general by owning Sprint, perhaps they could start doing Fiber at home connections, which I mentioned the other day here on S4GRU.

If that happened, especially here in Chicago where Sprint loves doing the advanced stuff first, I'd immediately be back with Sprint. It would be a really bold move by Sprint, which owned by a technical-based company, rather than some mass market consumerism entertainment company, would be interesting and probably be really good for Sprint.

interesting that the unlocked version is cheaper than the Sprint version.

Duh Sprint has to make this money too lol. I wonder how many units Sprint bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see work is being done, but that's just hilarious.  I think it's easy to see why permitting has been an issue with work like that.

Given the lack of any building codes there, I'm not too surprised