Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm glad Marcelo put his foot down on Charter's comments on not wanting to buy Sprint, when in reality that was never on the table..

http://www.barrons.com/articles/sprint-ceo-claure-conversations-with-several-parties-soon-going-to-make-decisions-1501597131

"Claure said a couple of times he has "no idea why Charter said we are not interested in buying Sprint,” expressing surprise — "that caught us off guard” as Sprint "never pitched let’s sell ourselves to Charter.” He later returned to the matter, saying it was “irresponsible” on Charter’s part, adding "there was never an offer to Charter, let’s take that away; I have no idea what offer they are refusing."

“It’s kind of irresponsible to refuse an offer which you have no idea what it is."

• Like 2

I wish we could get more color on the CapEx spending, but as we all have noticed there has been a surge in permitted and COMPLETED MM B41 work in many markets. So hopefully we are starting to see a continuing investment trend.

Perhaps there's a lot more going on than we know and Sprint is leveraging a cost structure that doesn't fit the traditional model....

4CA is a software push.

HPUE also required some tinkering (not sure if hardware too) and new capable devices.

Neither of these things require a bunch of money to do.

Mini Macros are cheap vs Macro builds. Magic Boxes are also cheap and don't require lengthy permitting.

Unless I missed it, "8T8R" didn't come up on the call. Are 8T8R Macro builds on hold in favor of Mini Macros?

Perhaps there's a lot more going on than we know and Sprint is leveraging a cost structure that doesn't fit the traditional model....

4CA is a software push.

HPUE also required some tinkering (not sure if hardware too) and new capable devices.

Neither of these things require a bunch of money to do.

Mini Macros are cheap vs Macro builds. Magic Boxes are also cheap and don't require lengthy permitting.

Unless I missed it, "8T8R" didn't come up on the call. Are 8T8R Macro builds on hold in favor of Mini Macros?

No, they have been deploying 8t8r in some markets..

Also, Sprint stock killing it today so far. Market seems pretty confident.

• Like 1

That Sprint stock may not hold up long (pardon the pun) since every time Masa/Softbank opens its mouth to spit out another merger rumor, and it is printed by the media, the stock goes back down for Sprint but increases for the other party. In todays' rumor,  it seems it is thinking of doing the Sprint/Dish route.  

Nikkei report

That Sprint stock may not hold up long (pardon the pun) since every time Masa/Softbank opens its mouth to spit out another merger rumor, and it is printed by the media, the stock goes back down for Sprint but increases for the other party. In todays' rumor,  it seems it is thinking of doing the Sprint/Dish route.  

Nikkei report

Its an article from the future...nice! LOL (you'd figure at this point most blogging/posting sites would support location based "time posted" tech)

No, they have been deploying 8t8r in some markets..

Also, Sprint stock killing it today so far. Market seems pretty confident.

It's nice to see the fundamentals shoring up.

That Sprint stock may not hold up long (pardon the pun) since every time Masa/Softbank opens its mouth to spit out another merger rumor, and it is printed by the media, the stock goes back down for Sprint but increases for the other party. In todays' rumor, it seems it is thinking of doing the Sprint/Dish route.

Nikkei report

I like this one.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Nikkei report

Does Dish have access to Fiber? I think going the Dish route would be interesting, but would not accelerate the acquisition of backhaul.

• Like 1

Does Dish have access to Fiber? I think going the Dish route would be interesting, but would not accelerate the acquisition of backhaul.

I don't know if they have fiber but they have more spectrum including some lowband.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know if they have river but they have more spectrum including some lowband.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is exactly why i like it. Of all the rumors i really like the idea of a third party injecting 10-20 billion for resell rights but this is a close second.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Congrats to Sprint in getting its financial house in order. That being said, I am still in favor of T-Mobile and Sprint merging because of the tremendous fixed cost investment it takes to have a nationwide network. I hope that Softbank at some point or another invests in acquiring the 600Mhz spectrum from Dish, Comcast and some smaller companies and then lease it to Sprint. 7Mhz is not enough to compete with the other three.

The best thing I'm hoping for either is for Sprint to continue with billion dollar network investments, or to do that also while merging with T-Mobile and picking up Dish along the way. This would increase the 600mhz spectrum Dish has with T-Mobile, and bump up the minimum from 10x10 to 15x15, which considering many places T-Mobile already has 15x15, this would make those 20x20.

Having that much low-band spectrum would make T-Mobile's current spectrum allotment which already is great, even better, while also giving the combined companies a vast amount of spectrum they probably would never have an issue with having not enough spectrum.

Softbank invested 1 billion into OneWeb (thus owning half of it) and although the proposed merger with Intelsat collapsed last month, OneWeb plans on going forward with their satellite plans. Buying Dish may fall into play not only with the spectrum that Dish holds but also with OneWeb plans of bringing service to rural and unserved areas around the world.

Thus,

Grabbing Dish, a share deal with Charter/Comcast, buyout of T-Mobile, then a total buyout of Charter/Comcast. (not necessarily in that order) and this all falls nicely into the World Domination plans of Masa. muwhahahahahaha

Sorry about that, I was channeling him for a moment. lol

• Like 6

Softbank invested 1 billion into OneWeb (thus owning half of it) and although the proposed merger with Intelsat collapsed last month, OneWeb plans on going forward with their satellite plans. Buying Dish may fall into play not only with the spectrum that Dish holds but also with OneWeb plans of bringing service to rural and unserved areas around the world.

Thus,

Grabbing Dish, a share deal with Charter/Comcast, buyout of T-Mobile, then a total buyout of Charter/Comcast. (not necessarily in that order) and this all falls nicely into the World Domination plans of Masa. muwhahahahahaha

Sorry about that, I was channeling him for a moment. lol

You forgot the part where a light shines down upon him, granting him full powers over the land and sea, where the light leads him to finding a magical staff, and a hat, and then guides him to pull a sword from a stone. With that in his grasps, he goes upon a conquest to take over the world. First stopping by at AT&T, then Verizon, then the FCC. From there, he combines all the national U.S. carriers into one. Then when he finally has all the U.S. wireless companies under his control, he makes plans for an announcement that everyone awaits anxiously for, wondering what it could be...

Then, he speaks... With one voice, he says "Twice the Price".

• Like 2

Word in Japan is Son is now going after Dish. I like this idea as it will bring additional spectrum to the game.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/01/dish-network-becomes-latest-telecom-stock-to-spike-on-report-softbank-may-buy-it.html

I like the idea too, but I'd like for it to be a Dish/Sprint/T-Mobile combination.

• Like 1

Me too! But that would be difficult to get through FCC and Justice Department approvals.

The way I see it is that while it may be challenging, it isn't impossible, especially since the administration is pro-business and Donald Trump seems to like Masayoshi Son.

Now while I don't agree with how Masa has operated Sprint thus far, considering my disagreements with some of Softbank's business decisions, I like Masa's original thinking of Sprint and the plans he had when he was thinking big for Sprint in his wireless empire. Those are ambitions I certainly admire, and if Masa decided to take this on and not get discouraged, he'd have my full support along the way.

I think if Masa were to look at the one area he might have trouble with in the merger, which is total amount of spectrum, he could form a plan to take in presenting the government a strategy of selling off certain spectrum and helpful cooperation with other carriers in spectrum swaps.

I wrote about this not too long ago here on S4GRU, where I looked at Dish's 40mhz of AWS-4 Sprint could use as 20x20 spectrum. Then if Masa repurchased the AWS-3 spectrum Dish gave up in the tax situation after the auction, he could arrange a spectrum swap deal deal with AT&T for Sprint to have 20x20, while giving AT&T some PCS spectrum or AWS-1 spectrum from T-Mobile.

The last bit is deciding which of the two spectrum Sprint could more easily amount to having 20x20 of, PCS or AWS-1, possibly selling the other as part of a deal, if needbe. The best plan, imo, is to have three sets of 20x20 in the midband, then sell the remainder of the midband if necessary for the deal.

Considering Sprint's 120mhz of band41 Sprint could divide into half for 60mhz down, 60mhz up, basically equals the 60mhz down, 60mhz up in the combined midband. From there, Sprint could sell off their 800mhz spectrum and T-Mobile's 700mhz spectrum, and the remainder of 600mhz after provisioning 20x20 of it for nationwide use, leaving them a total of 140mhz downlink and 140mhz of uplink spectrum, granted if Sprint divided use of band41 evenly.

This scenario would have Sprint giving up alot of spectrum to satisfy regulators, while still having plenty for its own use between wireless, and of course for Dish digital entertainment.

• Like 1

Why not add Apple as well?

Apple? They don't have anything that can be part of a service bundle package for one. Another thing is the immense conflict of interest involved between hardware sales at Sprint with Android devices.

Basically the same reasons for not including Apple as to those Magentans who use to strongly advocate for Google to buy T-Mobile. Both companies serve multiple carriers and a carrier ownership of one of them would be a massive monopoly.

Its much different in the case of Sprint, T-Mobile, and Dish, as both Sprint and T-Mobile could benefit from having Dish in the same way AT&T benefits from having DirecTv. The two carriers merging together also is something Masayoshi Son obviously wants too, so the three companies combined makes for a powerful competitor to AT&T with no serious conflict of interest.

One more thing, as I gave the example of earlier involving the combined company having plenty of spectrum they could divest while still having plenty of usable spectrum, it isn't completely a monopoly. Unlike the issues involving a hardware/software manufacturer like Apple.

Masa says "I'll add everyone" MUHAHAHAHAHA

Ok I'll stop now.

:P

Well, despite my response to Mr.Nuke, I don't doubt Masa very likely would love to own Apple, though I doubt he'd even try to involve Sprint in it. Just too much conflict with Android device manufacturers.