Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

What happened here? I thought there was a alot of small cells deployed here.

96fd4bff3082a939bb454f63c59028f6.png3fe22f5d22f0f111d21ba296ba313544.png29346832e27588508dfa06ea7ea617d4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know that anyone can get them, just sign up. If they deem you a good candidate, they will send you one free.

That is not what I meant.  Let's say you are working in a Manhattan building.  It is going to be awkward if you place this magic box near a window that is not even close to your desk.  

I guess that Sprint is moving its download to upload ratio to 10:1 or even 12:1 to reflect the way their customers use data.

AUSTIN, Texas—Sprint’s VP of technology said the carrier is in the process of tweaking its network to align it more closely with actual customer usage. Specifically, Sprint’s Ron Marquardt said the carrier is changing its upload/download ratio from around 2 to 1 to around 12 to 1.

In a presentation here at the 5G North America trade conference, Marquardt explained that Sprint’s upload/download network configuration was previously 2-1, largely because of the carrier’s now-shuttered WiMAX network. He said that, because Sprint shut down its WiMAX network, the carrier is now able to adjust that ratio to more closely match how Sprint’s customers actually use the carrier’s network. He said that Sprint’s customers download roughly 10 to 12 times the amount of data that they upload, and that Sprint is adjusting its network to more closely match that usage ratio.

“Now we’re free to do it how we want,” Marquardt said, explaining that Sprint was unable to change that ratio while it continued to maintain its WiMAX network.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/path-to-gigabit-lte-sprint-moving-upload-download-configuration-closer-to-12-1-traffic-ratio

The NYC market includes Long Island, Westchester, and northern NJ which still hasn't received the improvements that NYC has.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

by NYC I take it you mean Manhattan, because here in Queens (Briarwood, Hillcrest, Richmond Hill, and S. Ozone Park areas,) its been really bad the last couple of days. It's like the days of deployment past. I pass by quite a few sites and do not see any activity so I can't explain it. Maybe it's a anomaly.

TS

There is, they need to separate NYC with those other places, very frustrating that they do that!

• Like 1

There is, they need to separate NYC with those other places, very frustrating that they do that!

I think a better rout to take is for sprint to fix their network in all of those places.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think a better rout to take is for sprint to fix their network in all of those places.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

The problem is, that a ton of NYC patrons do not venture to those places. Basically giving a false negative for those folks.

I agree. How it looks now is from the outside is that either they don't have the amount of small cells out they are claiming or they just aren't working good enough on the network.

The problem is, that a ton of NYC patrons do not venture to those places. Basically giving a false negative for those folks.

That isn't the problem if sprint fixed their network in those places. Root has their reasons for designing their test areas the way they are and it isn't to make Sprint look bad, Sprint is doing that on their own. They decided to take a year off on spending on the network and this is the result.

• Like 1

That isn't the problem if sprint fixed their network in those places. Root has their reasons for designing their test areas the way they are and it isn't to make Sprint look bad, Sprint is doing that on their own. They decided to take a year off on spending on the network and this is the result.

Nope, In nyc they have gone gangbusters, those other places not so much.

People travel all around the New York metro area, whether for work, or visiting family or friends in places like Long Island, Westchester county, or  Northern NJ. Sprint is average or mediocre at best in those locations. Its a huge metropolis with so many millions of citizens that if Sprint were a smart organization they would fix the network everywhere. 

• Like 1

Nope, In nyc they have gone gangbusters, those other places not so much.

I don't know why you said "nope", look at their capex. The handful of markets that got some money doesn't disprove my point nor does it show that Sprint made a good call. The Root score speaks for itself.

• Like 1

People travel all around the New York metro area, whether for work, or visiting family or friends in places like Long Island, Westchester county, or  Northern NJ. Sprint is average or mediocre at best in those locations. Its a huge metropolis with so many millions of citizens that if Sprint were a smart organization they would fix the network everywhere. 

Nobody is debating whether Sprint should fix their network or not. My point is, if your like an average New Yorker, you almost never leave the city. I know a ton of folks who barely leave the island of Manhattan, let alone another state (NJ)

Anyone else getting a huge influx of spam calls lately? I am getting about 10 a day from all over the country. It's getting really ridiculous. You pick up and answer and it's nothing but silence, they occasionally leave a voicemail that says something about healthcare...

And the funny thing is, I called it yesterday! As soon as Root releases their NYC scores, it will not be great for a number of reasons, and the main one being them including places that are not just NYC!

Nobody is debating whether Sprint should fix their network or not. My point is, if your like an average New Yorker, you almost never leave the city. I know a ton of folks who barely leave the island of Manhattan, let alone another state (NJ)

There a lot that do. Root's job is to proved useful information on wireless carrier to a variety of clients, one of which is wireless consumers and carriers. I think they have that in mind when they design their test areas. The result blows and is predictable given Sprint's choices.

There are a lot of people that don't live the Island of Manhattan, but there are millions that live in the suburbs. Those folks come to work in the city, and those are the people Sprint wants to get as customers but they can't because the service sucks where they live.

• Like 2

There a lot that do. Root's job is to proved useful information on wireless carrier to a variety of clients, one of which is wireless consumers and carriers. I think they have that in mind when they design their test areas. The result blows and is predictable given Sprint's choices.

Ok cant wait till they decide that San Fran is not big enough and just add Seattle for no apparent reason.

Ok cant wait till they decide that San Fran is not big enough and just add Seattle for no apparent reason.

Ok bro, because that is in no way equivalent to what they are doing in NYC. I guarantee you they understand the travel patterns of the people in that region better than you.

• Like 2

Ok bro, because that is in no way equivalent to what they are doing in NYC. I guarantee you they understand the travel patterns of the people in that region better than you.

So I guess root is useless for folks who live and work in NYC. 

It also has to be noted that the other carriers (especially Verizon) have had a significant head start on small cell deployment in NYC.

I guess that's what happens when you consistently invest into your network...

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

Does AT&T and Sprint have an agreement for LTE? Was in an area where Sprint hasn't upgraded the last cell site that lacks LTE and noticed my phone connected to AT&T B2 in the Bristol downtown area.