Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Why did this catch Sprint off guard? Tmo needed this spectrum and had been talking about this for years. Verizon came out with unlimited when they had been against it for years.

Sprint has enough spectrum to use, just need to execute it. They have more mid-band spectrum now (2.5) than 600mhz nationwide. They just need to execute.

Also, it looks like they are farming 1900hmz in south florida. I have seen 2nd carrier more and more. I suspect they will have VoLTE on 1900 and keep LTE data on b41.

Accept 2.5 only travels 3 miles and 600 mhz will travel way farther

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My specific question is should I change plans.  Would you switch?  Is there a catch I don't see?

This is the first time I've considered this in 15+ years but it seems like the new plan with the hotspot is a better deal overall for the same cost.  Thoughts??  I value your opinions greatly all knowers of the knowing, all seeing of the seeing. 

Yes. I would switch your lines to Unlimited Freedom. Especially if Loyalty Credits are ever pulled or made unavailable for future device upgrades on your Everything Data Share Plan.

Make sure you have AutoPay and eBill enabled for the discount.

Enjoy having Mobile Hotspot too!

• Like 1

Why did this catch Sprint off guard? Tmo needed this spectrum and had been talking about this for years. Verizon came out with unlimited when they had been against it for years.

Sprint has enough spectrum to use, just need to execute it. They have more mid-band spectrum now (2.5) than 600mhz nationwide. They just need to execute.

Also, it looks like they are farming 1900hmz in south florida. I have seen 2nd carrier more and more. I suspect they will have VoLTE on 1900 and keep LTE data on b41.

All the spectrum in the world does Sprint no good if it remains offline. I am parked on a 2xCA tower at work that is overloaded and has been for at least 3 months. If it is only software why not flip the switch on 3xCA or why not 2 2xCA carriers? It really makes little sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All the spectrum in the world does Sprint no good if it remains offline. I am parked on a 2xCA tower at work that is overloaded and has been for at least 3 months. If it is only software why not flip the switch on 3xCA or why not 2 2xCA carriers? It really makes little sense.

Sprint would need 4 carriers on air to do 2xca twice.

• Like 1

Accept 2.5 only travels 3 miles and 600 mhz will travel way farther

Nope.  Incorrect.

AJ

• Like 6

lol and your in-depth research is earth shattering.

I wanna know how you can sit behind a computer bullying people.

• Like 1

How? We all know low band travels farther.

Again, incorrect.

AJ

• Like 2

How? We all know low band travels farther.

Because that is false by all means. There is no Hard limit at 3 miles for 2.5 spectrum else what the hell is everyone doing with higher frequencies?

The limit for all mobile UEs is if they can talk back to the eNB. Higher frequencies tend to attenuate more easily and thus the eNBs can't hear them which in real world results in the signal being unusable quicker.

Some of the biggest impact on range is ue being able to talk to the eNB, Radome height, local geography, mechanical or electronic antenna downtime, and the local RF environments.

Put a 2.5 site in a rural area with no obstructions and you can easily go many many miles with a perfectly usable signal. 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 5

T-Mobile got 25x25 of 600 MHz in Puerto Rico.

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-600-mhz.html

That's pretty substantial.

From the map, it also got 25x25 of 600 MHz in Colorado Springs, CO; Salmon, ID; Scottsbluff, NE; Lexington, NC.

I'm sure we'll hear Sprint's response to this on the upcoming Earning's Call on May 3. In fact, I'd be surprised if the question didn't come up at all.

T-Mobile got 25x25 of 600 MHz in Puerto Rico.

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-600-mhz.html

That's pretty substantial.

From the map, it also got 25x25 of 600 MHz in Colorado Springs, CO; Salmon, ID; Scottsbluff, NE; Lexington, NC.

I'm sure we'll hear Sprint's response to this on the upcoming Earning's Call on May 3. In fact, I'd be surprised if the question didn't come up at all.

It doesn't look like T-Mobile will need Sprint for it's spectrum anytime soon.

• Like 3

But just imagine how amazing it would be to have the 600MHz spectrum and band 41 for extreme speeds in dense environments! 

But just imagine how amazing it would be to have the 600MHz spectrum and band 41 for extreme speeds in dense environments! 

Imagining Sprint having the money to do either of those is quite hard to do. 

• Like 4

Dish was also a big winner in the 600 MHz auction.  I really hope Tmobile and Dish can maybe merge and further expand their spectrum portfolio.

• Like 3

I don't like Sprints take on that. Tmobile wanted it for coverage. While Sprint has the holdings to do with B26 T-mobile will have the bigger advantage with 15x15 vs 5x5 on Sprint.

Yup. Good luck penetrating a wet towel with that ultra high band spectrum. The EBS/BRS band has a hard enough time penetrating buildings 2000 ft. away from the cell site.

Low band spectrum is needed for reliability and easier network expansion.

• Like 3

Dish was also a big winner in the 600 MHz auction. I really hope Tmobile and Dish would merge and further expand their spectrum portfolio.

Dish and sprint would make more sense.

Dish and sprint would make more sense.

I disagree. Sprint has way more spectrum that they can deploy so they do not need anymore.  The problem with Sprint is execution and really needing to deploy their spectrum.  I think Sprint and Comcast makes more sense to get easier access to fiber and perhaps that will help Sprint deploy their B41 LTE network faster to not only the macro sites but to their small cell deployment plan.

Tmobile and Dish make sense because Tmobile needs more spectrum and they can help Dish deploy their spectrum since Tmobile has had a good track record of making use of their spectrum.  Just look at the B12 deployment in the past 2 years and that is also with having to deal with Ch. 51 interference issues.

• Like 2

Drive to DC and to New London all the time, never have.

I will drive up to Boston this weekend, we'll see..

Drive over to Foxwoods or Moheagan Sun also. Sprint signal is pretty awful once you get into rural CT.

Or drive down Rt 9 towards Boston. Sprint LTE is spread pretty thin once you're in the burbs.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

Yup. Good luck penetrating a wet towel with that ultra high band spectrum. The EBS/BRS band has a hard enough time penetrating buildings 2000 ft. away from the cell site.

Low band spectrum is needed for reliability and easier network expansion.

If Tmobile is serious about using the 600 MHz to begin adding cell sites in states like Montana, Wyoming, and basically Rural America, that will definitely help them compete with Verizon and AT&T.

• Like 1

If Tmobile is serious about using the 600 MHz to begin adding cell sites in states like Montana, Wyoming, and basically Rural America, that will definitely help them compete with Verizon and AT&T.

20x20 will do that quick. I'm not sure what At&t and Verizon got out of the auction, but whatever they got just put them on par with the big 2 (soon to be big 3).

Such a shame Sprint is just sitting on the sidelines.

• Like 2

20x20 will do that quick. I'm not sure what At&t and Verizon got out of the auction, but whatever they got just put them on par with the big 2 (soon to be big 3).

Such a shame Sprint is just sitting on the sidelines.

The answer is simple. 

Verizon - None

AT&T - Very little

Spectrum gateway created these nice summary maps.  See link below.  Basically only Tmobile and Dish bought nationwide licenses and wiped out most of the 600 MHz spectrum available.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

• Like 1

The answer is simple. 

Verizon - None

AT&T - Very little

Spectrum gateway created these nice summary maps.  See link below.  Basically only Tmobile and Dish bought nationwide licenses and wiped out most of the 600 MHz spectrum available.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

Verizon's more occupied with deploying 4 sector, 8 antenna, 20 (B2/4/66/5/13) radio sites which will make a more significant impact for them than 600 MHz. 

ATT and Verizon has not really tapped into their extensive 850 CLR holdings yet. 

600mhz won't be up for at least a couple of years no matter what t-mobile says. Broadcasters are fighting because of that issue, they haven't even vacated yet. And it's all fdd.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk