Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I think a TMobile and Dish merger would be good so that TMobile can grab the Dish spectrum and actually deploy it.

Plus, they'd have all the fun of dealing with Charlie Ergen.  :D

• Like 2

Couldn't it also be that there's a DAS in the building, and without that he wouldn't get ANY coverage at all?

Verizon is very proactive about installing DAS in big commercial buildings and big box stores.

why wouldn't Sprint and Verizon merger ever happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act

The purpose of the Sherman Act is not to protect competitors from harm from legitimately successful businesses, nor to prevent businesses from gaining honest profits from consumers, but rather to preserve a competitive marketplace to protect consumers from abuses

• Like 4

why wouldn't Sprint and Verizon merger ever happen?

37aa868c0d78c5e3fbf6d3309e2d613d90ac6a08

AJ

• Like 4

yes, I was reluctant to ask due to criticism.

How can you be a participant at a wireless industry focused web site and not know the massive anti trust objections that would arise from a VZW-Sprint merger?  Now, that is a serious question.

AJ

How can you be a participant at a wireless industry focused web site and not know the massive anti trust objections that would arise from a VZW-Sprint merger? Now, that is a serious question.

AJ

But there's a new sheriff in town...
  • Like 1

I think the better question is why would Verizon even want to entertain the idea of owning Sprint. Sounds like a colossal headache. Even if it would pass scrutiny I don't think they'd do it.

• Like 2

How can you be a participant at a wireless industry focused web site and not know the massive anti trust objections that would arise from a VZW-Sprint merger?  Now, that is a serious question.

AJ

To educate myself in areas that I have little to no knowledge in.

I Should have structured the question differently.. What would be the fall back of said merger?

• Like 1

I think the better question is why would Verizon even want to entertain the idea of owning Sprint. Sounds like a colossal headache. Even if it would pass scrutiny I don't think they'd do it.

Absolutely, VZW would acquire Sprint in a heartbeat -- if just to devour Sprint's spectrum holdings and customer base.  But that degree of industry consolidation would not pass regulatory muster.

AJ

• Like 3

I Should have structured the question differently.. What would be the fall back of said merger?

The fallback?  The fallback would be if the merger were blocked -- and it would be.  Sprint likely would receive a merger breakup fee.  And VZW would have to look for a different consolidation candidate or go it alone.

AJ

• Like 2

Absolutely, VZW would acquire Sprint in a heartbeat -- if just to devour Sprint's spectrum holdings and customer base. But that degree of industry consolidation would not pass regulatory muster.

AJ

Who knows? They've never had trouble obtaining spectrum over time. And buying Sprint brings a bunch of things they probably want nothing to do with. Pointless speculation though as it'll never happen.

• Like 1

Just think of this to yourself.

Verizon has approximately 140 million subscribers. Sprint has a bit over 50 million.

Together that's almost 200 million subscribers.

The population of the United States is around 320 million people.

A combined entity would control almost 2/3rds of the population of the USA.

MA Bell was broken up for far less.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 6

*jaw drops*

VoLTE / VoWiFI

256 QAM / 64 QAM DL/UL

4xCA DL / 2xCA UL B41

4x4 MIMO

HPUE

Don't forget about the launching of femtocells to consumers. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the launching of femtocells to consumers. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes. The Airave 3 LTE that's coming out in a few weeks aye. 

^_^

• Like 7

I recently read that T-Mobile would rather merge with a cable company (like Dish), thus possibly ending any Sprint-T-Mobile merge, I wonder if a merge with Charter Communications/Spectrum/Time Warner would be a better mix. I'm curious of the pros and cons.

On a side note, I always thought a while back that if Sprint were to rename itself, that Spectrum would be a perfect name, butl TWC took it.  

Either way, I'm curious, if not T-Mobile, then who would be a good merge fit for Sprint if Masa indeed wants to unload the company or merge it with someone else.

TS

• Like 2

I recently read that T-Mobile would rather merge with a cable company (like Dish), thus possibly ending any Sprint-T-Mobile merge, I wonder if a merge with Charter Communications/Spectrum/Time Warner would be a better mix. I'm curious of the pros and cons.

On a side note, I always thought a while back that if Sprint were to rename itself, that Spectrum would be a perfect name, butl TWC took it.

Either way, I'm curious, if not T-Mobile, then who would be a good merge fit for Sprint if Masa indeed wants to unload the company or merge it with someone else.

TS

I think this would be better overall than merging with another wireless company. Spectrum just acquired TWC's cable division so they expanded their footprint, this might help Sprint with backhaul in a pretty good portion of the country, you just have to wonder how willing Spectrum would be to take on Sprint's debt. In return they gain a lot of potential, like being able to provide fixed wireless over B41 airwaves to rural areas where neither of them is yet present. Pure speculation though.

People still roam on V?? LOL  (I haven't roamed on V for about 2 years)

All joking aside, if by 2019 V roaming is still a thing, I think Sprint will have other issues to worry about.

I honestly thought that on newer Sprint phones, Verizon roaming had to be deliberately enabled in the settings. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

TS

Both companies aren't that far away from each other. Spectrum is HQ'ed in Des Peres, MO (STL suburb) and Sprint is based in Overland Park as we all know. The geography and cable/fiber in the ground make sense. I imagine Spectrum as a merged entity could use that fiber assets to put serious capability behind the spectrum assets Sprint brings.  

In fact, Spectrum as the name would make sense.  :lol:

• Like 2